5 Best VPNs for Nigeria – For Safety, Streaming & Speeds in 2019
Online freedom in Nigeria is on the decline. While sites and platforms such as YouTube, Twitter, WhatsApp, and Facebook remain freely available, there have been increasing blocks on other websites, including popular independent news outlet, Naij.com.
If you are living in or visiting Nigeria, a VPN can enable you to access blocked content, while also preventing the Nigerian government from monitoring what you do online.
Your data will be encrypted which will prevent it from being intercepted or hacked, even on unsecured public wi-fi networks.
If you are in Nigeria and looking for love, you will find it difficult to connect to some of the bigger global dating websites. For example, it is impossible to connect to Plenty of Fish with a Nigerian IP address. The number of dating scams coming from Nigeria resulted in Plenty of Fish banning users from the country.
With a VPN you can bypass these restrictions by masking your IP address. A VPN will also prove useful when it comes to unblocking geo-restricted content such as Netflix US and Hulu. With a Nigerian IP address, you can access less than 20% of Netflix’s content. A premium VPN will grant you full access to your favorite streaming services.
Read on to find out which VPNs are best for residents and tourists in Nigeria.
Summary of the Best VPNs for Nigeria
These are our recommendations of the best VPNS to use in Nigeria:
- ExpressVPN – If you want lightning-fast speed and stellar security, ExpressVPN is the VPN for you. You will be completely protected when streaming or browsing in Nigeria, even on public wi-fi.
- NordVPN – The advanced security features offered by NordVPN will protect your privacy from any government surveillance.
- CyberGhost – An affordable VPN that offers both speed and security, as well as the ability to reliably get around geoblocks.
- HideMyAss! – has a huge network of servers, including one in Nigeria for reliable connections and speeds.
- Surfshark – A great all-round VPN, with fast speeds and strong security, apps for all major platforms, and unlimited simultaneous connections.
What You Should Look for in a VPN in Nigeria
Thanks to the introduction of affordable mobile internet plans, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people getting online in Nigeria, making it one of the largest populations of internet users in sub-Saharan Africa.
As a result, the Nigerian government has been seeking to control what its residents can share and view online.
As far back as 2014, it was revealed by WikiLeaks that controversial surveillance and filtering software FinFisher was being used by the Nigerian government. Then, in late 2017, Nigerian ISPs complied with a request by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to block 21 websites, primarily sites supporting the independence of Biafra, a region of Nigeria.
Freedom of speech online is also under threat in Nigeria. The Cybercrimes Act, which was passed into law in 2015, has recently been used to arrest bloggers for online commentary that was critical of the government.
According to NCC guidelines, ISPs in Nigeria are required to retain user data and “the content of user messages or routing data” for at least 12 months. ISPs are also required to cooperate with authorities in handing over user data in investigations into cybercrime or other illegal activity.
Nigeria also faces serious challenges when it comes to cyber fraud. In 2017, annual losses due to online fraud in Nigeria were estimated at $649 million.
As a result of these and other worrying trends, the 2018 Freedom on the Net Report by Freedom House rated Nigeria as “partly free.” As such, it is crucial to use a VPN while you are in Nigeria to protect your privacy and security, and to avoid government censorship and surveillance.
Not many VPN providers have servers in Nigeria, because of the lack of reliable fixed landline internet. Furthermore, there are very few nearby VPN server locations.
Fortunately, with the increase of undersea fiber-optic cables, you can still enjoy a great performance from a VPN with fast servers in Europe.
Other things to look for in a VPN in Nigeria include:
- Strict zero logs policy to prevent your data from being handed over to the Nigerian government if it is requested.
- Strong encryption to protect your privacy and prevent your data from being intercepted, monitored, or stolen.
- Ability to overcome geoblocks and other VPN blocks to help you access your favorite streaming services and websites in Nigeria.
- A stable network to ensure a reliable connection, and a kill switch feature that stops data transmission if your connection drops.
- Mobile apps to protect your data on unsecured wi-fi networks.
Best VPNs for Nigeria
ExpressVPN has the fastest servers of any VPN we have tested.
If you are an avid streamer, this is the VPN for you. Its lightning-fast servers prevent buffering and it can reliably unblock all major streaming services.
With 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, including Egypt and Kenya, ExpressVPN is a great choice for Nigeria.
ExpressVPN has military-grade encryption to protect your privacy and data from interception or government surveillance.
Based in the British Virgin Islands, far from the prying eyes of the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance countries, ExpressVPN keeps a strict no logs policy.
It may be more expensive than other VPNs, but its speed, excellent customer service, and quality apps make it well worth the price according to users.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
NordVPN has a vast network, with 5,400+ servers in over 60 countries, including Egypt and South Africa.
Registered in Panama, this VPN is far away from 5/9/14 Eyes surveillance, meaning it operates a strict no logs policy and keeps you and your data safe.
In addition to high speeds, NordVPN has strong security with AES-256 encryption and support for IKEv2/IPSec protocols and OpenVPN.
Streaming in Nigeria will not be a problem, as this VPN reliably bypasses the geoblocks of Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu, Amazon Prime video, among others.
Find out more about the great features of NordVPN by reading user reviews.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
Looking for an easy-to-use VPN? CyberGhost could be perfect for you, with its intuitive interface and great customer service.
While not as fast as NordVPN or ExpressVPN, CyberGhost has 4,600+ servers in 60 countries and automatically connects to the fastest one for smooth streaming and torrenting.
Fast speeds don’t come at the expense of security. CyberGhost offers you solid encryption, a zero logs policy, leak-proof apps, a kill switch feature, and many other powerful features that will protect your privacy and data.
Users agree that CyberGhost is a great all-around VPN.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
If you need to access local Nigerian content, HideMyAss! (HMA!) is the VPN for you as it has a server in Nigeria. In fact, HMA! has servers in 190 countries for an almost 100% global presence. Unfortunately, HMA has issues unblocking Netflix, but iPlayer and Hulu will work just fine.
Connection logs are kept for 30 days and HMA! operates within the UK so it must comply with some of the worst data retention laws in Europe. Therefore, this VPN is not for you if you want perfect privacy.
On the positive side, HMA! is easy to use and has great desktop and mobile apps for a number of platforms.
Don’t take our word for it, see what real users think.
HideMyAss! can unblock:
- BBC iPlayer, Hulu
HideMyAss! works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Routers
Surfshark is a great budget VPN, offering exceptional value for money and unlimited simultaneous connections. It has all the security features you need to keep your data safe, including strong encryption, kill switch, leak protection, and a built-in malware, ad, and tracker blocker.
Apps are available for all major platforms and for mobile devices for privacy protection when using public wi-fi.
Surfshark is loved by its users for its speed and reliability.
Surfshark can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
Surfshark works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, FireTV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox.
Summary and Further Reading
Whether you are visiting Nigeria or are a permanent resident, you should use a VPN every time you go online. Each of our selected best VPNs for Nigeria will protect you against government surveillance and cybercrime, and allow you to access geoblocked content.
Is protecting your privacy of paramount importance? Find out about the best no logs VPNs on the market.
Want to make sure to hide your IP address? Read this article to find out how.
A solid VPN will enable you to use public wi-fi networks, safe in the knowledge that your identity and data are encrypted. If you are still having difficulty choosing a VPN for Nigeria, we recommend ExpressVPN.