5 Best VPNs for Snapchat — Unblock at School & Work in 2024
- Best VPNs for Snapchat — Full Analysis (Updated in 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Fast Speeds to Watch and Send Your Snapchat Content
- CyberGhost — Simple But Powerful Apps for Quick and Easy Access to Snapchat
- Private Internet Access — Strong Security Features for Enhanced Privacy on Snapchat
- IPVanish — Unlimited Simultaneous Device Connections for Snapchat-Addicted Households
- PrivateVPN — Stealth Mode Helps You Get Around Firewalls That Block Snapchat
- Quick Comparison Table: Snapchat VPN Features
- Quick Guide: How to Access Snapchat From Anywhere in 3 Easy Steps
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Snapchat
- FAQs on VPNs for Snapchat
- Get the Best VPN for Snapchat Today
You need a VPN if you want to unblock Snapchat from anywhere. That includes countries where the app is restricted — like Iran, Turkey, or the UAE — or on firewall-protected networks like the ones in schools and offices.
My team and I tested over 30 services to find the best VPNs for Snapchat. I looked for VPNs that can reliably access Snap no matter where you are, with fast speeds to avoid buffering on snaps. Each of my recommended VPNs also gives you enhanced privacy while you use the app — so you keep your snaps and location safe.
After comparing the results, my top choice is ExpressVPN for its excellent security, fast connection speeds, and extensive server network. You can check out ExpressVPN for yourself risk-free thanks to its solid 30-day money-back guarantee.
Important: You should always check the rules on accessing services that may be banned in your region, including Snapchat, and bear in mind these can change. We at vpnMentor do not condone using a VPN to circumvent the law.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Snapchat in 2024
- ExpressVPN — The fastest VPN I tested for Snapchat, with a huge network of 3,000 servers for unblocking the app worldwide. Plus, you can try it risk-free as there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost — Offers simple but powerful apps for easy access to Snapchat, even if you’re new to VPNs.
- Private Internet Access — Strong security features for keeping your sensitive info private, but the apps aren’t the easiest to use.
- IPVanish — Unlimited simultaneous connections to access Snapchat on all your devices, but not as strong for unblocking other services.
- PrivateVPN — Stealth Mode helps you unblock Snapchat in restrictive countries, but its server network is smaller than others overall.
Best VPNs for Snapchat — Full Analysis (Updated in 2024)
The VPNs ranked here are all fast enough to upload and watch content on Snapchat. Each VPN has been tested for its unblocking capabilities and enhanced security features. That means you can access your Snapchat account anywhere and still keep your activity private.
All the companies that made the top list offer live customer service support 24/7. Each one is also backed by a reliable money-back guarantee. You can easily get a refund if the service doesn’t meet your needs.
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
- Impressive connection speeds for smooth video, thanks to its Lightway protocol
- Obfuscation tech on every server to easily beat blocks at school/work
- 3,000 servers in 105 countries that let you unblock Snapchat around the world
- Allows you to connect up to 8 devices at the same time
- Can unblock: Snapchat, WhatsApp, Telegram, Tinder, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
ExpressVPN’s proprietary protocol, Lightway, is more than fast enough for watching snaps in the highest quality. During my speed tests, my connection didn’t fall below 102Mbps — just a 9.7% drop from my base speed of 113Mbps. I didn’t experience any video lag or buffering issues on Snapchat. Plus, I uploaded as many snaps as I liked thanks to the unlimited bandwidth.
Every server uses obfuscation tech, which is great for getting around Snapchat-blocking firewalls used by many institutions and governments (including the Great Firewall of China). It makes VPN traffic look like regular traffic, so your activity isn’t restricted. I tested ExpressVPN servers all over the world and never had an issue with geoblocks — including those on my streaming accounts like BBC iPlayer and HBO Max.
Enhanced privacy protections help protect your outgoing snaps from snoopers. The VPN uses the same AES 256-bit encryption the military employs for top-secret files. It’s strengthened further by 4,096-bit DHE-RSA keys and an SHA-512 hashing algorithm, making it almost impossible for anyone to hack into your connection.
In addition to Lightway, you can choose from several other protocols. IKEv2 is my choice for Snapchat on mobile because of its instantaneous connections, though OpenVPN is the industry standard for security. There’s also a kill switch to prevent data leaks in case the VPN disconnects (though I never lost connection during my tests).
The audited strict no logs policy makes sure that ExpressVPN doesn't record anything you do on Snapchat. It’s backed up by TrustedServer technology, which means the VPN regularly wipes every server so it physically can’t store your data. The service is also located in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands, outside of any data retention laws (like the ones upheld by the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances).
It’s easy to install the app on all Snap-friendly devices. I have Snapchat installed on my Android mobile and iPad, plus I often access the site from my laptop. It took me about 4 minutes to get all the apps up and running on each device, and they all worked perfectly. There are also live reps available 24/7 if you have any questions or need help configuring something specific.
Like anyone that’s ever lusted after the newest iPhone, I wasn’t surprised when I saw that ExpressVPN has a higher price tag (plans start at $6.67/month). Luckily, ExpressVPN is currently offering discounted access. I got 49% off with the annual plan, plus 3 months free. You can pay securely with a credit card or PayPal, or even privately with various types of crypto.
There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee with every subscription — a promise I confirmed during my testing. My credit card was refunded within 2 days of making a request via the live chat.
- Easy-to-use apps for all major OSs, so you can access Snap on all your devices
- Privacy protections to keep your snaps safe from snoopers and hackers
- 11,683 servers in 100 countries for unblocking Snapchat from anywhere
- Allows you to connect up to 7 devices at the same time
- Can unblock: Snapchat, WhatsApp, Telegram, Tinder, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
CyberGhost offers user-friendly apps for any device you use to snap. Downloading and installing the software is easy. It only took me a couple of minutes to get the apps on my tablet and smartphone. When I tested CyberGhost’s apps, selecting a server was similarly fast. If you need any help with setting up or configuring the apps, there’s also 24/7 live chat support.
The large server network gives you plenty of options for unblocking Snapchat around the world. I tested servers in Snap-friendly countries like the UK and US and had no issues unblocking and using the app. There are streaming-optimized servers designed to unblock your accounts on other platforms too, like YouTube or Amazon Prime Video.
This VPN is a good choice to keep your Snapchat activity private. The company has an audited no-logs policy and doesn’t store any of your online activity. That means it holds no data to hand over to third parties like advertisers or government agencies (it’s based in Romania, which doesn’t have any data retention laws). I tested the leak protection myself and didn’t detect any IPv6/DNS/WebRTC leaks.
256-bit AES encryption and the secure OpenVPN protocol further hide your activity on Snapchat. I particularly like the automatic WiFi protection, which launches the VPN when it detects an unknown network. This is great for warding off hackers on unsecured public WiFi.
When testing connection speeds, some of CyberGhost’s long-distance servers were a little slower than expected. This didn’t cause any issue with Snapchat, though, because my speeds hovered around 98Mbps — more than sufficient for rapid uploading and streaming. There’s unlimited bandwidth too, so you don’t hit any data caps when watching snaps.
You can subscribe for as low as $2.03/month. I recommend avoiding the monthly subscription, as that ends up costing more and only gets you a 14-day money-back guarantee. The 2-year plan worked out much better for me.
The extended refund period lets you try CyberGhost for free for 45 days. I verified the guarantee by requesting a refund via the live chat. My money was back in my bank account within 5 days.
- Encryption standards that keep your snaps and contacts private and safe
- Generally fast connection speeds for video viewing sessions on Snapchat
- 29,650 servers in 91 countries to unblock Snapchat from almost anywhere
- Allows you to connect up to Unlimited devices at the same time
- Can unblock: Snapchat, WhatsApp, Telegram, Tinder, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
Private Internet Access (PIA) has excellent security features that keep your Snapchat usage activity private. Its open-source apps use the secure-but-fast 128-bit AES encryption as default, or you can switch to AES 256-bit encryption for the greatest privacy. The kill switch has an advanced option that blocks all internet traffic on your device unless the VPN is switched on — so your Snap activity stays protected.
I didn’t detect any data leaks when testing PIA’s servers. The service operates a strict no-logs policy, so it doesn’t record anything you do on Snapchat. The MACE feature was also useful for blocking ads, trackers, and malicious sites. This helps you keep hackers off your devices and out of your Snapchat account.
The huge server network is great for unblocking Snapchat. I had no problems accessing snaps on my account while at work. The network size also means the servers don’t get congested, so you don’t experience slowdowns. I recorded average speeds of 95Mbps, which let me upload snaps without delays.
My only issue with PIA is that the security settings can make the apps overwhelming if you’re new to VPNs. Luckily, all apps come pre-configured, so you don’t have to change any of the options for the service to work. The default settings — OpenVPN and 128-bit AES encryption — are more than enough to keep you protected. Like CyberGhost, there’s also support available 24/7 on live chat if you have any questions.
Subscriptions are available on a monthly, yearly, or 3-year basis. You can get protection for as little as $2.03/month if you choose the longest subscription, which is a good deal for everything that’s included. I went with the 3-year plan as it saves me the most money.
You can also test PIA out for yourself with no risk to your wallet as the service offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. As with all the VPNs I tried, I made sure to put the guarantee to the test. My PayPal account was refunded less than 3 days after making a request and answering a few quick survey questions.
- Unlimited devices with one subscription to protect all the devices in your household
- Unlimited bandwidth lets you upload and watch as many snaps as you like
- 2,200 servers in 75 countries to unblock Snapchat from almost anywhere
- Supports the fast WireGuard protocol for speedy snapping and messaging
IPVanish has a pretty unique distinction. You can unblock Snapchat on unlimited devices because this VPN doesn’t cap the number of devices you can connect with 1 subscription. I connected 8 devices (inc iPhones and tablets) while testing IPVanish and didn’t experience any lag when uploading or accessing snaps. The VPN was easy to install and set up on each of the devices I tried.
My speeds remained consistent too. IPVanish isn’t as fast as ExpressVPN, but I recorded speeds over 90Mbps on all the servers I tried. My snaps uploaded straight away and I didn’t have to wait for my friends’ content to load.
Enabling the extra-fast WireGuard protocol gives you a speed boost. For the best privacy for your snaps though, I’d go with OpenVPN. The kill switch and 256-bit AES encryption are enabled by default, alongside perfect forward secrecy that regularly changes encryption keys. This thwarts snoopers trying to decrypt your data — even if one session is compromised. Additionally, the built-in VIPRE antivirus protection safeguards you against malware.
The only problem I came across is that IPVanish isn’t as reliable for unblocking other services. I had issues accessing my accounts on Amazon Prime Video and Sky TV. However, I unblocked Snapchat on all the servers I tested. So it’s still a great VPN for catching up on your friends’ Stories.
There are several subscription levels and the price goes down significantly when you select a longer-term subscription. You can get IPVanish for as little as $3.25/month per month with the longest plans. I went with the annual subscription because it’s the most cost-effective.
While testing this VPN, I wanted to be sure that the 30-day money-back guarantee was real. I canceled my account via my dashboard on the website and it was fast and easy to get a refund (you can also reach out to support via 24/7 live chat or email). The money was back on my credit card within 2 days.
- 200 servers in 63 countries to connect to Snapchat, even from China
- Wide selection of protocols that all provide privacy and excellent speeds for snapping
- Comprehensive library of setup guides makes installation on any device fast and easy
- Allows you to connect up to 10 devices at the same time
PrivateVPN offers obfuscation via its Stealth Mode, to help you access Snapchat anywhere it’s blocked. Like ExpressVPN, Stealth Mode hides VPN usage so you can bypass firewalls like the ones used in restrictive countries. My colleague in China tested several servers for me and was able to access Snapchat every time.
256-bit AES encryption and secure protocols like OpenVPN also keep your IP address and activity hidden while snapping. The kill switch and leak protection provide added defense against your data being exposed. I didn’t detect any IPv6, DNS, or WebRTC leaks while testing PrivateVPN.
If you don’t want to configure any of the security settings, you can use the Simple mode to connect to a server and access snaps with one click. It was easy to set up my account on all the devices I use with Snapchat. Plus, the VPN offers 24/7 live chat support and remote installation for desktops.
Thanks to the VPN’s HQN (High Quality Network) servers, my connection remained steady at around 85Mbps. THis is more than fast enough for uploading snaps, and I didn’t experience any slowdowns or downtime during my tests.
My only concern with PrivateVPN is that the network itself is relatively small. This can sometimes lead to slow speeds (due to congestion) or make it hard to find a working IP address. That said, I had no issues bypassing Snapchat blocks on any of the servers I tested. I also easily unblocked my streaming accounts on other platforms like Hulu and Peacock.
You can sign up for as little as $2/month if you choose a long-term subscription option. I went for the annual plan for this reason and saved a bunch of money.
PrivateVPN’s money-back guarantee lets you check out the service for free for up to 30 days. I tested the guarantee myself by requesting a refund via the live chat support. My PayPal was credited the full purchase amount within 48 hours.
Quick Comparison Table: Snapchat VPN Features
Quick Guide: How to Access Snapchat From Anywhere in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN. It’s got fast connection speeds, a huge server network, and superb unblocking ability for snapping from anywhere.
- Connect to a server. Choose a server in a country where Snapchat is available, and click connect. The nearer the server is to your real location, the better your speeds will be.
- Start snapping. Launch the Snapchat app or load the website and use it as normal.
Note: If you have any trouble unblocking Snapchat, try disconnecting from the VPN and reconnecting to a different server. You may also need to clear your cookies/cache and restart your device to get around geoblocks.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Snapchat
The ability to unblock Snapchat is important, but there are other features a good VPN needs for the best Snapchat experience. Here are key factors to consider when you’re selecting the best VPN for you:
- Global server network. The best VPNs have a large number of servers spread out across multiple countries. This gives you access to IP addresses in plenty of locations where Snapchat isn’t blocked.
- Fast speeds. All VPNs slow your connection somewhat, as they reroute and encrypt your traffic. However, you should look for one that doesn’t drop your speeds by more than 50%. That way you can upload and watch snaps without buffering.
- Strong privacy and security measures. There are plenty of reasons to keep your Snapchat data protected. A quality VPN should include strong encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch. Your VPN provider should also never store your activity or identity data.
- Easy-to-use apps. Your chosen service should provide user-friendly apps for all your devices. The ability to reach a human (instead of a bot) at any time is also a must. That way, you can ask questions and get help whenever you need it, regardless of your time zone.
- Risk-free refund policy. Look for a tried-and-tested money-back guarantee. That way, you can purchase your VPN without risk and get a refund if you aren’t 100% happy.
FAQs on VPNs for Snapchat
Can I get banned for using a VPN with Snapchat?
No, using a VPN doesn’t go against Snapchat’s Terms of Service. In fact, using a VPN with Snapchat makes it less likely you’ll suffer a ban. For example, you can enable your VPN alongside a geo-spoofing app to change your location on the Snap Map without Snapchat flagging your activity as suspicious. The VPN lets you choose a matching IP address for your chosen location, so your IP doesn’t give you away.
That doesn’t mean that your account can’t get flagged by Snapchat if you are engaging in harassment or illegal activity while using a VPN. Doing this can still lead to account suspension or deletion.
Why is Snapchat blocked where I am?
Some countries block Snapchat to censor content that’s considered inappropriate or dangerous. They can do this by asking Snapchat to block IP addresses from the country, or by forcing local ISPs to block the Snapchat app and website. A VPN can help you get around both types of Snapchat ban. At the same time, the VPN keeps your Snap communications safe from anyone who might want to snoop on your activity.
The following countries either currently block or ban Snapchat, or have done in the past:
Schools and workplaces can also ban the app to filter explicit content or encourage productivity. These types of institutions use firewalls to block you from accessing Snapchat while connected to the school or office internet. A VPN can help you get around these kinds of firewalls by rerouting your traffic through a VPN server outside of the local network.
Will a VPN fix a Snapchat IP ban?
Yes, a VPN lets you “borrow” a fresh IP address for Snapchat. Your old IP address is masked by the new one, so you can get around your IP ban. Just connect to any VPN server in a location where Snapchat isn’t blocked to get started with your new IP.
Is it possible for Snapchat to detect VPN usage?
It’s possible but unlikely. There is a small chance that Snapchat may be able to identify certain IP addresses as belonging to servers of a specific VPN. Even if this is true though, it’s easily remedied. The best VPNs for Snapchat have huge server networks with thousands of IP addresses that are constantly updated.
It’s equally unlikely that Snapchat is shadowbanning you for using a VPN. If you’re concerned, however, you can always choose a VPN that offers obfuscation tech. Obfuscation makes VPN traffic appear no different from regular traffic, so Snapchat can’t tell the difference.
How can I spoof my location on the Snapchat map?
Use both a VPN and a GPS location spoofing app. When you use a VPN with Snapchat on mobile, your GPS location can give you away. After you decide upon a location to spoof, open your VPN and select a server that is located close to the desired area. This makes sure your GPS and IP address match.
Should I use a VPN with Snapchat?
Yes — even if Snapchat isn’t blocked where you are, VPNs allow you to snap in private. While the app encrypts your snaps, it doesn’t protect your messages, group chats, or other data. You need a VPN to safeguard your privacy on Snapchat by keeping your chats, contacts, history, and videos hidden from hackers and snoops.
Spoofing your location on the app can also get you access to regional filters and badges that are geoblocked to certain countries. Just connect to a server in the country that has the filter or badge you’d like to use.
Can I use a free VPN with Snapchat?
It’s not a good idea. Free VPNs are usually monetized in other ways — including harvesting and selling your info and activity. It’s much safer to use a premium VPN with a reliable money-back guarantee.
Even if you find a free service with a trustworthy no-log policy, it’s unlikely to be reliable enough for Snapchat. Free VPNs almost always deliberately throttle your speeds and bandwidth, making sending and receiving snaps frustratingly slow.
In the worst cases, VPNs advertised as “free” are not VPNs at all — they are malware masquerading as useful programs. It’s a way to trick users into downloading and installing malicious programs and trackers. So always go with a tested provider.
Get the Best VPN for Snapchat Today
The top-performing VPNs have the ability to unlock Snapchat from any location, ensuring your Snap activity remains concealed and enabling you to evade detection while spoofing your whereabouts. Additionally, they offer user-friendly applications and rapid upload and streaming speeds for an enhanced Snapchat experience.
After testing over 30 top VPNs, I found that ExpressVPN is best for Snapchat. It offers fast connection speeds that allow for no-lag video streaming and sending. Plus, all your data is secured with military-grade encryption. You can try out ExpressVPN for yourself with zero risk thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
To summarize, here are the best VPNs for Snapchat
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.