10 Best Netflix VPNs That Still Work Reliably (Updated in 2023)
- Best VPNs for Netflix - Full Analysis (Updated February 2023)
- ExpressVPN — Best Overall Netflix VPN That Can Access 20+ Libraries
- CyberGhost — Watch Netflix on Devices That Normally Don’t Support VPNs
- Private Internet Access — Large Server Network for Accessing Over a Dozen Netflix Libraries
- NordVPN — NordLynx and SmartPlay for Easy Access to UHD Netflix Streams
- Surfshark — Unlimited Connections To Enjoy Netflix On All Your Devices
- Quick Comparison Tables: Best Netflix VPNs
- Quick Guide: How to Unblock Netflix With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Tips on How to Choose the Best VPN for Netflix
- Warning! These VPNs Don't Work With Netflix
- FAQs on Watching Netflix with a VPN
- Get the Best VPN for Netflix Today
It’s harder than ever to unblock Netflix. The company even started banning residential IPs, which left many people blocked from their accounts (even when they weren’t connected to a VPN). Since the bans have become so vigorous, many VPNs that promise access to Netflix actually don’t work.
That’s why we regularly test 300+ VPNs with over 50 Netflix libraries from around the world. We’ve gathered a list of the best Netflix VPNs that we keep up to date. At the time of testing, the top services can unblock more than 20 regions, so you’ll be able to watch the most popular content no matter where you are.
Out of all the VPNs tested, my top recommendation is ExpressVPN. It has an extensive server network that consistently accesses 20+ Netflix libraries. You can stream Netflix with ExpressVPN completely risk-free, as it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not impressed, you can always ask for a refund.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Netflix in February 2023
- ExpressVPN — Extensive server network that easily unblocks Netflix US, UK, Canada, Australia, France, and 20+ other libraries. Lightning-fast speeds for streaming and you can try it risk-free for 30 days because it offers a money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost — Can access Netflix US, UK, Canada, Australia, France, and 10+ countries, is easy to set up on smart TVs and gaming consoles, but expensive short-term plans.
- Private Internet Access — Large server network that can access Netflix US, UK, Canada, Australia, France, and 10+ countries, but poor customer support.
- NordVPN — NordLynx paired with SmartPlay streaming feature for quality streams over 15+ Netflix libraries, but connecting to servers can take a while.
- Surfshark — Unlimited simultaneous device connections for unblocking Netflix across your household, but it doesn’t offer specific streaming-optimized servers.
Tested February 2023 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
- 3,000 servers in 94 countries to help you access more Netflix libraries
- Superfast speeds for fast load times and buffer-free streams
- 5 simultaneous connections so you can watch Netflix on several devices at once
- Can access: 20+ Netflix libraries, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Apple TV, Fire devices, routers and more
ExpressVPN’s extensive network of 3,000 servers in 94 countries provides access to over 20 Netflix libraries, including Netflix US, UK, France, Australia, and Japan. For the purpose of testing I even gained access to some trickier libraries in Brazil, Germany, Panama, South Korea, and Vietnam.
This VPN also has lightning-fast speeds, so you can stream Netflix in high quality without lag. During my tests, I connected to 6 long-distance servers in the US and my speeds averaged 43.7 Mbps. Even when I tested its super faraway Australian servers with Netflix, my speeds were a decent 39.2 Mbps (usually you get slow speeds on servers located far away from your real location). You only need 25 Mbps to stream in Ultra HD, so this is more than enough to watch shows in high quality. I could also access Disney+, HBO Max, and Hulu with ease.
You don’t have to worry about data caps that limit how much you can watch with ExpressVPN, either. I was able to binge-watch the entire first season of Outlander and 3 other shows without issues because ExpressVPN offers unlimited data with all plans.
Plus, you’re not limited to a single device — you can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously under one account. This means you can share ExpressVPN with your entire household. During my tests, I connected my iPhone, Macbook, and Windows laptop to the VPN. I was impressed that I could stream different Netflix shows on all devices simultaneously without buffering or choppy playback.
ExpressVPN offers apps for all major operating systems and browser extensions. Plus, it even works with smart TVs, Amazon Firestick, Roku, Kodi, PlayStation, and Chromecast. Its MediaStreamer (Smart DNS) feature lets you stream Netflix on any device that connects to WiFi, even ones that don’t normally support VPNs. It only took me 5 minutes to unblock US Netflix on my Xbox using MediaStreamer. This way, it’s easy to watch your favorite shows directly on your big screen.
Its 24/7 customer support is super responsive and can help you troubleshoot any issue you may have unblocking Netflix. They always have a list of servers that work best for accessing whichever region’s library you want. I contacted them and asked which was the best for US Netflix and within 2 minutes the agent told me to use Los Angeles 2 (and it worked). So even if Netflix cracks down on VPN bans even more, ExpressVPN’s customer support will help you get up and running in a few minutes.
The only thing that’s disappointing about ExpressVPN is its subscriptions can be a bit pricey; the cheapest plan is $6.67/month. But, ExpressVPN regularly offers some pretty nice discounts. I’ve even seen them give out months of free service. When I signed up, I got 49% off my subscription. Every tier comes with all the same features, so I recommend using the 12-month plan because it ends up being a lot cheaper than the short-term ones.
You can also test ExpressVPN with Netflix risk-free because it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not impressed with it, then you can claim a full refund. I wanted to make sure ExpressVPN would stand by this guarantee, so I contacted support through 24/7 live chat after 27 days of use. They only asked me 2 questions about my user experience before approving my refund. I had my money back in full 3 days later, so you can trust the guarantee.
- Fast speeds for seamless streaming without interruptions
- 9,753 servers in 91 countries to watch Netflix from more regions
- 7 simultaneous connections so you can stream on more devices
- Can access: 15+ Netflix libraries, Disney+, APV, Hulu, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, Amazon Fire devices, and more
You can easily unblock Netflix on so many devices with CyberGhost, including gaming consoles, smart TVs, and AppleTV. Its Smart DNS feature is really easy to use and lets you access multiple Netflix libraries on most WiFi-enabled devices. It only took me a few minutes to stream Netflix US on my PS4. CyberGhost's apps are also user-friendly on all the major operating systems like Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and even Amazon Firestick.
Its network includes 9,753 servers in 91 countries, so you’ll always find a server to access your favorite Netflix shows. My team and I were able to unblock more than 15 Netflix libraries including Netflix US, UK, Canada, France, Spain, Germany, and Japan.
CyberGhost has servers that are designed to access Netflix in 16 different countries. However, its regular servers also work — but the streaming servers work more consistently. These Netflix optimized servers were also 15% faster than the regular ones during my tests.
CyberGhost’s speeds are super fast too, so you can stream Netflix shows in Ultra HD without buffering. You also get unlimited data. I tested this by watching 5 hours of Ozark on Netflix US, and I enjoyed a consistently high-quality video and no lag. My speeds averaged 35.4 Mbps — that’s impressive for a connection traveling over 6,800 km (I’m located in Western Europe).
In addition, CyberGhost allows you to connect to up to 7 simultaneous devices. I connected my iPad, Macbook, and iPhone simultaneously. My connection didn’t slow down while streaming Netflix, listening to music on Spotify, and working on my Macbook.
One minor negative is that its monthly plans only come with a 14-day money-back guarantee. However, CyberGhost’s other plans are very affordable and come with a generous 45-day guarantee. On top of that, you can subscribe to its longest plan for $2.19/month, which comes with 3 months free. Every tier but the monthly plan comes with encrypted cloud storage too, so I recommend going with a longer option.
No matter which subscription plan you choose, CyberGhost’s money-back guarantee is reliable and it’s no hassle to get your money back. I made sure it stood by the guarantee and used the live chat feature to cancel my subscription. The agent only asked me about my reason for canceling and quickly approved my refund. I had my money back after 5 business days.
- 29,650 servers in 84 countries so you can watch Netflix libraries worldwide
- Superfast speeds let you watch Netflix without buffering
- 10 simultaneous connections so you can watch Netflix on all your devices
- Can access: 15+ Netflix libraries, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Compatible with: Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, Amazon Fire devices, and more
Private Internet Access (PIA) has an extensive server network of 29,650 servers in 84 countries. My team and I tested hundreds of PIA’s servers and found that it can unblock Netflix US, UK, Australia, Canada, and 12 other libraries.
When using PIA’s servers, you can easily access a lot of different Netflix libraries. There are servers optimized for streaming in the US (East and West coast locations), Japan, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, the UK, and Italy. I could unblock Netflix with each optimized server, and I could also unblock other streaming platforms like Disney+ and Amazon Prime Video with the US streaming servers.
It has fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth, so you can watch Netflix without interruptions. When I connected to servers in Australia, I had average speeds of 25.4 Mbps — this is impressive since Australia is more than 15,000 km away from my location. On local servers, my speeds averaged 31.4 Mbps. This is enough for streaming in high quality since you only need 5 Mbps to watch in HD.
PIA offers an easy-to-use app for popular operating systems like Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux. I found it disappointing that it doesn't offer dedicated apps for a lot of other devices. For instance, you can use it with Amazon Fire Stick, but you have to use SmartDNS. Fortunately, PIA offers Smart DNS IP addresses in 5 locations (including the US, UK, and Japan) so you can access different Netflix libraries on FireStick, PlayStation, and more.
It’s only $2.19/month for the longest plan, and I got 2 free months thrown in when I signed up. This subscription also comes with a year of Boxcryptor Cloud Security. However, the middle tier does too, so that’s the plan I recommend. It’s only a little more money with much less commitment time. The monthly plan I find too expensive.
You can also test PIA out with its 30-day money back guarantee. You can easily request a refund if it’s not for you, but it did take 10 minutes for me to get a response on its 24/7 live chat. However, I had my cancellation approved after only one question once I got in touch. It only took 5 business days to get all my money back.
- Exclusive NordLynx protocol is superfast and reliably unblocks Netflix
- 5,384 servers in 60 countries to access Netflix libraries across the globe
- 6 simultaneous device connections
- Can access: 15+ Netflix libraries, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, browsers, gaming consoles, smart TVs, streaming devices (including Fire TV Stick), routers, and more
NordVPN offers its proprietary protocol (NordLynx) to give you top streaming speeds. With a base speed of 52.4 Mbps, I tested 2 nearby servers — in Germany and Spain. These gave me 50.1 Mbps on average. Even the 5 US servers I tested, which are thousands of miles away, gave me no less than 45.3 Mbps. While connected to New York, I watched 1899 for 3 hours in Ultra HD without buffering.
Not only is NordLynx fast, but it also unblocks different Netflix regions without hesitation. I tested it with Netflix Japan, Australia, Germany, Canada, US, and Brazil. There wasn’t a single library I couldn’t access. Each time I switched locations, the content updated when I reloaded. This gives you access to a huge variety of shows and movies.
Still, some VPNs can be hit-or-miss in their unblocking abilities, but NordVPN offers SmartPlay to ensure it works with Netflix consistently. This smart DNS feature is fully integrated into the VPN — no configuration is required. When you try to access region-locked Netflix libraries, it automatically switches your DNS server to overcome geoblocks.
The app is easy to set up and navigate. Its interface features a world map, where you can select a server location to connect to. Otherwise, you can use the search tool to quickly type in a location to pull up your server options. Plus, it saves your most frequently-used connections at the top of the server list, so just connect and load Netflix with no fuss.
My only complaint is that sometimes it took a minute or more to connect to a server, which was annoying. For reference, ExpressVPN often takes less than a second. However, once the connection is established, it’s fast and reliable for streaming.
You can sign up for NordVPN for $3.49/month with its long-term plan. I recommend this subscription; it’s much more cost-effective than the short-term plan, which doesn’t offer any additional features.
NordVPN also backs its plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee. I tested this policy, which was quick and straightforward. I just used its 24/7 live chat feature to ask a support rep for my refund. Within 5 days, the money was back in my account.
- Unlimited simultaneous device connections to cover your entire household
- 3,200 servers in 100 countries for unblocking region-locked Netflix content
- Can access: 15+ Netflix libraries, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, browsers, gaming consoles, smart TVs, streaming devices (including Fire TV Stick), routers, and more
Surfshark provides unlimited device connections to unblock Netflix across your household. Most VPNs put a cap on this, making you log out of one device to use another. However, I could use Surfshark on every device I own (including my PC, iPhone, and tablet) — without connectivity issues. Your only limitation is how many members are allowed on your Netflix account.
Its reliable network gives you access to 15+ Netflix libraries across the globe. I tested it with Netflix UK and watched Harry and Meghan. With 42.8 Mbps, my connection remained stable as I watched 3 episodes. It worked just as reliably when I tried it with Netflix Australia and US, although my speeds dropped to 36 Mbps. But it was still fast enough for Ultra HD.
Even though it doesn’t unblock as many Netflix regions as some, the app has an intuitive solution for this. If you try accessing Netflix from a location that doesn’t support it, Surfshark automatically reroutes you to Netflix US — which is the most expansive library, anyways. For instance, when I tried unblocking Netflix India, I was redirected to Netflix US instead of being blocked entirely.
With Surfshark’s smart DNS feature, you can enjoy Netflix on almost any device. All you have to do is insert a set of numbers (provided by Surfshark) into your device, and you can use it to unblock Netflix. This works great for smart TVs and game consoles. It also offers a native app for Fire Stick, which took me less than 2 minutes to install.
I was a little disappointed that it doesn’t have streaming-optimized servers. However, considering how dependable its regular connections are with Netflix, this wasn’t a major issue. Plus, it lets you “favorite” your go-to streaming servers for quick and reliable access in the future. For instance, I favorited the fastest Netflix servers I found in the US and Japan.
Surfshark is very affordable, with plans starting at just $2.30/month. This is the cost for the long-term plan, which saves you 82%, making it the best deal. Short-term plans are available and offer the same features, but will cost you more overall.
You can try it with Netflix risk-free for 30 days since it offers a money-back guarantee. It’s a policy you can depend on — when I requested my refund (via 24/7 live chat), the agent quickly agreed. I saw my money by the end of the week.
- 2,000 servers in 75 countries that give you access to 10+ Netflix libraries
- Unlimited connections to watch Netflix on your household’s devices
- Can access: 10+ Netflix libraries, Disney+, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, browsers, gaming consoles, smart TVs, streaming devices (including Fire TV Stick), routers, and more
IPVanish comes with 2,000 servers in 75 countries so you can access tons of Netflix content worldwide. During my tests, I could unblock more than 10 Netflix libraries, including Netflix US, UK, Canada, Japan, Brazil, Mexico, India, and more. I used its Atlanta server to binge-watch my favorite show, 30 Rock, for 3 hours.
It also provides unlimited simultaneous connections per account, which is great if you have more Netflix addicts in your household. I tested this feature by streaming 3 different Netflix shows simultaneously on my iPhone, Macbook, and Android, and I didn’t experience any slowdowns or lag.
The VPN has superfast speeds and unlimited data, so you can watch all your favorite Netflix shows with no lag. When I tested local servers in Germany, the Netherlands, and Belgium, my speeds averaged 40.3 Mbps. I didn’t see any difference when I connected to its long-distance server in the US and Japan since my speeds still averaged 38.4 Mbps. It’s not as fast as ExpressVPN, but you can still use IPVanish to easily stream Netflix from anywhere in Ultra HD without buffering (UltraHD requires 25 Mbps).
IPVanish’s server network combined with its fast speeds means you’ll be able to access your favorite Netflix shows without issues. I was even able to unblock other popular streaming platforms like Disney+ and Hulu while connected to its US servers.
The VPN works with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, and more and it’s super easy to set up. I had the software downloaded and installed on my Macbook in under 5 minutes. This means that you can start watching your favorite Netflix shows right away.
I was a bit disappointed that it doesn’t offer Smart DNS. However, you can still get IPVanish to work on most devices by setting it up on your router.
The longest plan is a solid deal at only $3.33/month. That’s the one I signed up for, and I recommend it over the 2 shorter options because it's cheaper in the long run. Each one comes with all the same features, so it’s an easy choice. Unfortunately, it doesn’t offer an option to pay anonymously using cryptocurrencies. However, I was happy to see that it still lets you pay with most major credit cards and PayPal.
You can even test IPVanish for free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. Getting refunded was super easy since I didn’t have to contact its 24/7 live chat or provide a reason. I could just log in to my account and click a couple of buttons to cancel my subscription. I had my money back 4 days later.
- Blazing-fast speeds for smooth streaming
- 200 servers in 63 countries to help you access more Netflix libraries
- 10 simultaneous connections to help you hook up more devices
- Can access: 15+ Netflix libraries, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Compatible with: Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, routers, and more
PrivateVPN offers fast speeds with unlimited bandwidth, so you can binge-watch your favorite Netflix shows. During my tests, I connected to 5 of its US servers and got an average speed of 26.3 Mbps. When I connected to its server in Mexico, I still had speeds of 22.3 Mbps. Since you only need 5 Mbps to stream in HD, this is more than fast enough. You won’t experience any lag while streaming Netflix shows.
PrivateVPN’s 200 servers in 63 countries allow you to access more than 15 popular Netflix libraries. When connected to its US servers, I could easily access my US Netflix account from Western Europe. On top of that, the VPN can unblock other libraries, including the UK, Canada, Australia, France, and Germany.
Although PrivateVPN’s network is small, I didn’t experience any issues accessing Netflix. Because it regularly updates its IP addresses, Netflix can’t keep up. Plus, it offers great customer support that's direct contact with PrivateVPN’s in-house developers (so you get knowledgable answers). They told me it's best to use the US locations under its Dedicated IP tab to unblock US Netflix. I was able to access the platform with the regular US servers, but it’s good to know just in case.
PrivateVPN has apps for most major operating services like Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, and even Amazon Firestick. It doesn’t offer any browser extensions or Smart DNS. Luckily, this wasn’t much of a problem since it comes with router support. This allowed me to connect the VPN through the router and set it up on the Smart TV — I was able to watch my favorite Netflix shows on the big screen. The VPN also offers up to 10 simultaneous connections so your whole household can stream different shows at the same time.
You can get PrivateVPN’s long-term plan for just $2/month. It also offers 1-month and 3-month plans and every tier gives you the same features. The only difference is the price, so I picked the 36-month plan (3 years), which is my recommendation since it’s the best value overall.
You can also use its 30-day money-back guarantee to test all of PrivateVPN’s features for free. After 28 days of using the service, I asked for a refund through its live chat on its website. The agent told me that refunds could only be processed through email, which took a bit of time. However, I still had my money back after 6 days.
- Quick speeds so you can always stream in HD
- 1,925 servers in 67 countries so you can unblock multiple Netflix regions
- 10 simultaneous connections so you can set it up on several devices
- Can access: 10+ Netflix libraries, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Compatible with: Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, routers, and more
Proton VPN has a server network of 1,925 servers in 67 countries that you can use to access Netflix around the globe. While connected to its servers, I was able to watch Netflix US, UK, Canada, Australia, and 8 more libraries. Its US servers even allowed me to access Disney+ and HBO Max.
It also offers decent speeds. During my tests, I streamed Netflix US in HD on 3 of its US servers. My speeds averaged 16.4 Mbps, which is more than enough for HD streaming. On local German and French servers, my speeds averaged 20.4 Mbps. These aren’t the fastest speeds, but it’s still enough for uninterrupted streaming. Plus, it has unlimited bandwidth, which allowed me watch all the Twilight movies in a 1 day marathon.
Proton VPN is compatible with most major operating systems (but doesn’t offer Smart DNS and is not compatible with Amazon Firestick). In addition, the VPN offers 10 simultaneous device connections. During my tests, I asked my housemates to install the VPN too and stream different Netflix shows simultaneously. We could all stream in HD without any lag.
Proton VPN’s free plan can unblock a limited version of Netflix, but with poor streaming quality. I tested several free servers in all 3 regions and could always access Netflix, but only Netflix Originals. This lets you watch content owned by Netflix, while blocking all region-specific movies and shows. I recommend using the Plus plan to unblock full Netflix libraries you can stream in HD without buffering.
The longest subscription is its cheapest plan at $4.99/month. The 3 premium options all let you access everything the VPN has to offer. The free tier only lets you use 1 device, offers 3 locations, and is substantially slower than the premium plans. Since each paid plan offers the same features, I recommend choosing the longest option for the best savings.
It even comes with a money-back guarantee so you can test Proton VPN for free for 30 days. When I tested the refund process, I had to contact Proton VPN using its support form. I was disappointed it doesn’t offer a 24/7 live chat feature like CyberGhost or ExpressVPN (and many other top services). However, I did receive all of my money back 10 days later (I received a response to my email after 3 days).
- 4,800 servers in 81 countries to help you watch more Netflix regions
- Good speeds so you can stream with zero buffering
- Unlimited simultaneous connections so you can use it on every device in your household
- Can access: 10+ Netflix libraries, Disney+, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, routers, Android TVs, and more
Zenmate has optimized servers specifically set up to unblock Netflix. These servers let me unlock libraries in the US, Italy, Japan, Germany, France, and the UK. Altogether, it has 4,800 servers in 81 countries, and I was able to access 8 other regions using its non-optimized servers too.
Even on distant servers, I was always able to load up Netflix in less than 20 seconds. It has tons of other streaming-optimized servers as well that let me unblock BBC iPlayer, Disney+, HBO Max, and more.
It has good speeds and unlimited data, so you can stream non-stop without buffering. During my tests, I connected to 6 of its nearby servers and my speeds averaged 22.3 Mbps. When I connected to its long-distance servers in the US and Canada, the speeds only dropped to 16.3 Mbps. To watch in HD, you need 5 Mbps. This means you should always be able to stream Netflix in high quality.
You can connect Unlimited devices – which is practically unlimited – and it’s available for every major OS. This will let you stream Netflix on any of your devices or have several running at once. Set up is super easy too, it never took me more than 6 minutes to install (on a phone, laptop, and my tablet). It can also be downloaded for Android TVs or installed on a router with DD-WRT firmware.
Unfortunately, you can’t purchase a subscription with cryptocurrency. However, it does support PayPal, and that’s how I signed up (with the 3-year Ultimate plan). You can get the Ultimate plan for just $1.99/month, and it sometimes comes with 3 months free. It’s the best deal since it’s much cheaper than the 1-month and 1-year deals. There are also Pro plans, but I don’t recommend them since they only work for browsers, so you can’t use it with the Netflix app.
Every plan comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. I tested this out by reaching out through the 24/7 live chat. After a few troubleshooting questions, my request was approved. I received my refund in 10 business days.
- Exclusive Hydra protocol helps you load Netflix quickly and stream without interruptions
- 1,800 servers in 80 countries so you can stream from several Netflix libraries
- 5 simultaneous connections so you can use it on multiple devices
- Can access: 10 Netflix libraries, Disney+, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, routers, Amazon Fire TVs, and more
Hotspot Shield’s Hydra protocol let me load every Netflix video I tested in 6 seconds or less. It also gave me good speeds, along with unlimited data. During my tests, I recorded an average of 25.3 Mbps across 5 different servers. So, after the videos started, I was able to stream without any buffering or dips in quality.
It comes with 1,800 servers in 80 countries that you can use to unblock Netflix libraries from all over the world. I was able to unblock Netflix in the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, and 6 other popular regions.
You’ll be able to connect 5 devices simultaneously (with premium plans), and it’s easy to set up on every major OS. In about 6 minutes, I had it fully installed on my Windows laptop. Plus, you can download the app with an Amazon Fire TV or an Android TV without any extra steps. It doesn’t offer Smart DNS, but it can be installed on a router to help you connect on any device.
One minor issue is you can’t pay with cryptocurrency. However, it does accept PayPal which I used to purchase a premium yearly plan. Prices start at $2.99/month, and long-term subscriptions are the best deal. Monthly premium plans are also available, along with family plans. These come with 5 accounts and 25 device connections (5 for a premium plan) but cost much more.
There’s a 45-day money-back guarantee for each paid plan, so you can try out Hotspot Shield risk-free. To see how it works, I contacted support through the live chat after 41 days with the service. The chatbot let me cancel with one click, and I received my refund in 10 days.
Netflix VPN Features
The table below compares the features of the top-recommended VPNs. These features include the number of Netflix libraries each VPN can access, the operating systems it’s compatible with, how many devices can be connected to it simultaneously, and the cheapest monthly plan it currently offers.
I’ve also checked whether each VPN has an app for Amazon Firestick, because not all VPNs do. Lastly, I’ve included Smart DNS, a feature that allows you to unblock Netflix on devices that don’t normally work with VPNs (like gaming consoles, Apple TV, and smart TVs).
Ease of Use: Accessing Netflix Libraries
The table below rates the top VPNs on how easy it was to find working servers for these popular Netflix libraries. Some VPNs are more reliable than others when it comes to bypassing Netflix’s VPN blocking technology. “Easy” means I found a working server right away, while “Difficult” indicates that I had to spend at least 10 minutes searching for a server (or connecting and disconnecting the VPN multiple times) before I could unblock Netflix.
|Private Internet Access||Easy||Easy||Easy||Moderate||Easy||Easy||Easy|
- Get a VPN. My top recommendation is ExpressVPN. It has an extensive server network and superfast speeds, so you should be able to stream your favorite Netflix shows with no issues.
- Connect to a server. Select a server in the location of the Netflix library you want to access. I connected to a US server to access my US account.
- Start watching! Log in to Netflix and start watching your favorite movies and shows!
Tips on How to Choose the Best VPN for Netflix
When choosing a VPN for Netflix, there are a few criteria that you need to pay attention to. Here's a rundown of what I tested to rank these Netflix VPNs:
- Can access US Netflix. US Netflix is one of the largest libraries out there and likely has many of the shows you want to watch. I tested all the VPNs on this list regularly to ensure that their US servers can consistently unblock US Netflix.
- A large server network to access other libraries. A vast server network spread out over a large number of countries usually means you can access multiple Netflix libraries. I made sure that every country has multiple servers, to avoid server overcrowding (which can result in slower speeds).
- Fast speeds. You need consistent speeds over 25 Mbps to watch movies and shows in 4K. This also allows you to quickly load videos and avoid buffering. I did extensive speed tests for every VPN on my list to make sure they’re fast enough for seamless streaming, even on long-distance servers.
- Compatibility with multiple devices. Look for a VPN that is compatible with the devices you want to stream Netflix on. Ideally, the VPN should also support routers and/or have a Smart DNS feature so you can stream Netflix on devices that don’t usually work with VPN apps, like smart TVs and gaming consoles.
- Excellent customer support. Even with a premium VPN, you might occasionally encounter issues like servers that stop working or error codes. I made sure the VPNs on my list offer several channels to contact customer support (24/7 live chat support is preferable so you can solve any issues straight away). It should also provide a large knowledge base with tutorials and answers to common questions.
- Offers a free trial or money-back guarantee. It’s important to test a VPN before committing to a subscription to know what you’re signing up for. I made sure all VPNs on my list offer a money-back guarantee or free trial.
Warning! These VPNs Don't Work With Netflix
Our tests revealed quite a few VPNs that claim to work with Netflix but don’t. I strongly recommend choosing one of the VPNs from the list above, but these are some you want to avoid in any case:
- CactusVPN — Claims its SmartDNS can unblock Netflix, but my tests found otherwise.
- Celo VPN — It couldn’t unblock any Netflix libraries during my tests.
- PureVPN — This service claims to unblock Netflix but I couldn’t even get it to connect at all during my tests.
- Hola VPN — Not only is it incapable of unblocking Netflix but Hola VPN was caught secretly stealing its users’ bandwidth.
- StrongVPN — It only works on Mac, so it's not a good option if you want to stream Netflix on other devices
- Unotelly — During my tests, I wasn’t able to unblock any Netflix libraries with this VPN.
- HideIPVPN — HideIPVPN mentions that it can’t guarantee access to Netflix. During my tests, I wasn’t able to unblock Netflix on any servers.
These VPNs also didn’t work with Netflix:
|Private Tunnel||Avast Secureline VPN||F-Secure Freedome||Hoxx VPN|
|Anonymous VPN||Hide My IP||Ivacy||OneVPN|
|PersonalVPN||ProXPN||Ra4w VPN||AVG VPN|
FAQs on Watching Netflix with a VPN
Which VPN unblocks the most Netflix libraries?
ExpressVPN unblocks the most Netflix libraries. While there are several solid VPNs for streaming, I was impressed at how well ExpressVPN works with Netflix specifically. In my tests, I unblocked more than 20 libraries worldwide, including the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, France, and even India, Brazil, and South Africa.
What is the fastest VPN for Netflix?
The fastest VPN for Netflix is ExpressVPN. During my tests, the speeds from US servers averaged 43.7 Mbps. To put this in perspective, you only need 5 Mbps for HD, and 25 Mbps for Ultra HD. This means that you can easily watch your favorite Netflix shows in high quality.
VPNs almost always slow you down a bit since your traffic has to be rerouted and encrypted. You can get the best speeds by choosing a nearby server or finding one that’s less crowded. Lastly, you can choose a faster protocol like ExpressVPN’s Lightway, which is optimized for speed.
Is there a way to get around the Netflix VPN ban and avoid the Netflix proxy error?
Yes, you can get around the Netflix VPN ban. If you use one of the VPNs from this list, you’ll be able to access multiple Netflix libraries wherever you are without any errors.
Netflix uses different techniques to identify VPN IP addresses so they can blacklist them. The VPNs I recommend constantly update their servers by acquiring new IP addresses. That means, when Netflix identifies and blocks one, the VPN will remove it and add another one that works. Because of this, you won't have to worry about seeing the dreaded "unblocker or proxy error" message (at least not for too long).
But, if you still receive a proxy error (or Netflix is only showing you Netflix Originals) here are a few simple tricks you can try:
- Change servers: The server you’re on may have been flagged by Netflix, so try switching to another one.
- Use a different VPN protocol: Most VPNs let you switch between a few of these tunneling methods. OpenVPN is a reliable choice.
- Use your browser: Sometimes VPNs struggle with the Netflix app, so switching to a browser can fix the problem. In addition, try different browsers — if Chrome isn’t working, try Microsoft Edge or Firefox (or any other browser you use).
- Clear browser cache and cookies: You’ll find this option in your browser’s security or privacy settings.
- Disable IPv6: This is a little more involved than some of the other methods, but it’s worked for me before. You can normally find it in your device’s network adapter settings, but it differs depending on your OS.
- Reach out to customer support: When all else fails, it’s a good idea to contact support. That’s one reason why my favorite VPNs come with a 24/7 live chat service. Usually an agent will be able to provide you with a list of servers known to be working with Netflix at that moment.
On which devices can I use a VPN to unblock Netflix?
You can use a VPN to unblock Netflix on any device that runs any of the major operating systems: Computers running Mac, Windows, and Linux, and mobile devices running iOS or Android. Top VPNs usually have native apps for Android TVs and Amazon Fire devices, as well as browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Some VPNs also have a Smart DNS feature, which allows you to access Netflix on devices that don’t normally work with VPNs like Apple TV, smart TVs, Xbox, and PlayStation.
To stream Netflix on other devices that don’t support VPNs, like Chromecast, Google TV, and Roku, you can also set up a VPN on your router. Some Netflix VPNs even sell pre-configured routers, and others (like ExpressVPN) come with a dedicated router app. It’s even possible to set up a virtual router or mobile hotspot using a computer. This way, you can share your VPN connection with other devices.
Is using a VPN for Netflix legal? Will Netflix ban me?
For the most part, it’s legal, yes. In most places, it’s legal to access Netflix with a VPN. You only need to be careful in countries that ban or regulate VPN use due to heavy online censorship (countries like Iran, China, and Russia, for ex.). Using a VPN at all can be illegal in these places.
It’s highly unlikely Netflix will ban you for using a VPN. While you are technically breaking its terms and conditions when you use a VPN to watch content that isn’t licensed in your region, I’ve never heard of a user being banned for doing so. Netflix has powerful VPN-blocking technology in place to prevent this instead. That’s why you need a VPN that’s been proven to work with the streamer.
How do I watch Netflix US, Netflix Japan, or Netflix in other countries?
All you need to do is get a VPN and connect to a server in the country where you want to access Netflix. For example, if you want to access your Netflix UK account from another country, you’ll need to connect to a UK server. Once your VPN is connected, load Netflix and it will show you the UK library of shows and movies.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Netflix?
Yes, you can access Netflix Originals with Proton VPN’s free servers. It’s not ideal since you won’t be able to access region-specific content and its free servers are usually crowded, which results in buffering and lower video quality. But it’s the best free option for Netflix I could find.
I recommend using a low-cost premium VPN that’s been tried-and-tested with Netflix. There are no other free VPNs I tested that reliably unblock Netflix, and most come with data restrictions so limiting you can only stream for 30 mins or so. Premium VPNs let you stream in 4K without limits, won’t cause buffering, and can access way more libraries. Plus, most have a money-back guarantee, so you can just get a refund if you’re not satisfied.
In addition, many free VPNs can be dangerous and put your privacy and security at risk. They are not very secure, so they can leak your private data. It is also common for free VPNs to collect and sell your data to third parties like advertisers. Some free VPNs even have malware bundled into the app meant to damage your device.
Which country has the largest Netflix library?
Usually the US. However, this constantly changes since it depends on the copyright agreements in each country. Usually, it’s a constant race between Netflix US, UK, Canada, and Japan. If you’re not located in one of these countries, chances are big that you’re missing out on a lot of geo-restricted content on Netflix. Luckily, a VPN can help to be able to stream your favorite shows from all over the world.
How do VPNs unblock Netflix?
A VPN bypasses geoblocks by masking your IP address, making it seem like you are in a different country. This is required for accessing geo-restricted content, since Netflix has different libraries in different countries due to territorial licensing agreements.
For example, you may be in Australia, but if you connect your VPN to a server in the US, it’ll look like you’re surfing the web in the US. This is important because it doesn’t matter where you signed up for Netflix or what your billing address is. You’ll always get content from the region you’re currently in. So, the only way to access your country’s Netflix region when you travel abroad is to use a VPN with servers located in your home country.
Can I watch Netflix in China?
Sometimes, depending on the VPN. ExpressVPN and PrivateVPN can both get around the Great Firewall of China, allowing you to watch Netflix there. Keep in mind that it’s illegal to use non-government approved VPNs in China, so you should be careful. However, no tourist has ever been penalized for using one since the government goes after VPNs by blocking them, not by tracking down VPN users.
Get the Best VPN for Netflix Today
Finding a VPN that works reliably with Netflix can be a difficult task. Some VPNs can’t access Netflix at all, while others can only access a few libraries (and not consistently).
All the VPNs in this list are perfect for Netflix because they can access dozens of regional libraries and have fast speeds to watch shows without buffering. They're powerful enough to bypass Netflix's VPN blocks and keep you safe and anonymous while doing so. They can even unblock other popular platforms like Disney+, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video so you can make the most of your streaming accounts.
Out of all the VPNs tested, ExpressVPN is my favorite because it consistently unblocks 20+ Netflix libraries and has super-fast speeds. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test out ExpressVPN with Netflix completely risk-free. If you’re not impressed, you can always ask for a full refund.
To summarize, the best VPNs for Netflix in 2023 are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.