5 Best VPNs for ChatGPT — Tested and Working in 2024
- Best VPNs for ChatGPT — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Beginner-Friendly, Pre-Configured VPN to Safely Use ChatGPT
- CyberGhost — NoSpy Servers to Protect Your Privacy When Using ChatGPT
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable Features to Protect Your OpenAI Chats
- NordVPN — Speciality Security Servers to Protect Your ChatGPT Data
- Surfshark — Camouflage Mode to Access ChatGPT on Restrictive Public Networks
- Quick Comparison Table: ChatGPT VPN Features
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for ChatGPT
- Quick Guide: How to Use ChatGPT With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- FAQs on VPNs for ChatGPT
- Get the Best VPN for ChatGPT
A VPN can minimize the information ChatGPT links to you by limiting how much of your personal data it can see. So, my team and I tested 60+ services to find the best for ChatGPT. These tools can help keep your data private and overcome tough network blocks so you can access the chatbot securely.
After extensive testing, I can reveal that ExpressVPN is the best for ChatGPT. Its automatic obfuscation requires no configuration and can effortlessly bypass blocks on restrictive networks like those at work or school. Meanwhile, its bank-level security keeps your data safe. You can try it risk-free since it comes with a reliable money-back guarantee — if you’re not satisfied, you’ve got 30 days to claim a full refund.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for ChatGPT in 2024
- Editor's ChoiceExpressVPN
Ideal for ChatGPT with intuitive apps, fast obfuscated servers, and strong encryption.70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
NoSpy servers ensure secure ChatGPT sessions, safe from external monitoring.
- Private Internet Access
Tailor security and speed for ChatGPT use, but its US base may impact privacy.
User-friendly Double VPN servers to protect your data, but this can cause slowdowns.
Camouflage Mode for easy ChatGPT access, but its ad blocker is less effective.
Best VPNs for ChatGPT — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Pre-configured app with automatic server obfuscation to easily use ChatGPT on restrictive networks without risking your data
|94Mbps (6% drop) on nearby UK servers to help mitigate any lag
|Security and Privacy
|Military-grade encryption and Network Lock (a kill switch) to keep your online activity private
|3,000 servers across 105 countries for reliable connections to ChatGPT
ExpressVPN is the ideal service for ChatGPT since its app is pre-configured for security. If it detects deep packet inspection (DPI) being used to snoop on your connection, it scrambles your data to get around this with the help of its obfuscation, thus making the VPN undetectable. With this feature, you can access ChatGPT on work and college networks without having to adjust any settings, so it’s a great choice if you’ve never used a VPN before.
Its speeds are also a standout feature. ExpressVPN is the fastest service I’ve tested across all distances, with drops of just 6% on local UK servers. In my tests, ChatGPT’s responses loaded quicker than I could read them, and there were zero delays in submitting prompts. I didn’t experience any of the annoying freezing and lagging I’ve come across with slower VPNs.
ExpressVPN has had a clean privacy record since its launch back in 2009. Its headquarters are in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands, outside the jurisdiction of the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances. Its RAM-only servers wipe all data on reboot and are, therefore, incapable of logging any user data. For extra reassurance, its no-logs policy has been independently audited by PwC.
Admittedly, short-term plans are a little pricey. But you can make significant savings with a longer subscription. I chose to keep my chats secure in the long run and saved 49%. If you’re not happy, you can claim a full refund within 30 days. I put this to the test via 24/7 live chat, and it was quick and easy.
- Lightway protocol. ExpressVPN’s proprietary protocol removes all code that isn’t necessary for a commercial VPN, giving you lightweight, secure, and fast connections. It even saves battery for chatting to GPT on your mobile devices, so it’s great if you work from a laptop (like me!).
- Split tunneling. You can use ChatGPT through tough network blocks using ExpressVPN, while for example, other sites like Google Scholar and Microsoft 365 bypass the VPN connection. This saves bandwidth for your AI chats to get the best speeds possible, but it’s not available on macOS.
- TrustedServer technology. Your data is routed through secure RAM-only servers, which means it is never stored. Plus, ExpressVPN runs its own private DNS on every server. This processes your web requests to avoid any third-party interference, making your ChatGPT and any online activity more private.
- Data leak protection. This VPN keeps you safe from IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks, so ChatGPT can’t get its hands on any of your data. Plus, you’re protected with Perfect Forward Secrecy. This limits how much data is encrypted with the same key, so even if snoops compromise your connection, they won’t get all of your data.
|Privacy-focused NoSpy servers so no one can monitor your ChatGPT sessions
|88Mbps (12% drop) on nearby UK servers — plenty of speed for ChatGPT
|Security and Privacy
|AES 256-bit encryption to keep your sensitive information safe
|11,683 servers across 100 countries to use ChatGPT with good speeds on any network
CyberGhost’s NoSpy servers are really secure. Many VPNs store servers in shared facilities, posing the threat of third-party interference. NoSpy servers are securely housed in CyberGhost’s headquarters in privacy-friendly Romania, and only its engineers have access to them. This means that your ChatGPT activities and all data are kept as private as possible.
Thanks to its impressive speeds, ChatGPT loaded almost instantly during my tests. I connected to a UK server and recorded average speeds of 88Mbps (a 12% drop from my base speed). NoSpy servers were marginally slower, but that’s due to my distance from Romania. Plus, WireGuard, the industry-standard protocol for speed, is a tad slower than ExpressVPN’s Lightway.
The VPN also comes with several handy automation options. For example, Smart rules let you auto-connect on startup and open the browser you use for ChatGPT. I also recommend using the WiFi Auto-Connect option if you like to chat away from home. This automatically connects to a server when the app detects a public WiFi connection to protect your data.
The only downside is that the monthly plan comes with a reduced refund period (only 14 days). However, long-term subscriptions provide an extended money-back guarantee. This means you can test CyberGhost for free for 45 days. Longer plans are also particularly budget-friendly, starting at just $2.03/month.
- URL exceptions. The Smart rules feature also allows you to define certain URLs to ignore the VPN tunnel. This can be useful — for example, I could download software from Microsoft’s site at maximum speed on my normal connection while using the secure VPN tunnel to chat with ChatGPT in another tab.
- Intuitive apps. CyberGhost's user-friendly apps make it easy to find the best connection for using ChatGPT securely. Connecting to a server takes just a couple of clicks, or you can simply click Best server location on the main menu to find the fastest server.
- Kill switch. This feature ensures your IP and ChatGPT activities are kept private in case the VPN connection drops accidentally, which is very rare. It automatically disables your internet connection if that happens in order to protect you. This feature is enabled by default, so you don’t have to adjust anything.
|Advanced customization lets you optimize for security, speed, or a balance of the two — ideal for protecting your ChatGPT data
|84Mbps (16% drop) on nearby UK servers to use ChatGPT with minimal delays
|Security and Privacy
|Leak protection to prevent GPT from seeing your actual location and personal data
|29,650 servers across 91 countries offer plenty of options for using ChatGPT securely
Private Internet Access offers robust security to protect your OpenAI Chats. I could easily toggle between AES 128-bit and 256-bit encryption to balance speed and security for OpenVPN. Alternatively, opt for WireGuard for speedy connections to GPT-4 without sacrificing your security.
PIA's Multi-Hop adds extra security by routing your traffic through multiple servers, making it harder to trace your chats back to you. It works by encrypting data across a VPN and a SOCKS5 or Shadowsocks proxy, making it faster than a typical double VPN. It’s more technical to configure than ExpressVPN’s automatic obfuscation, though.
A small downside is that PIA’s headquarters are in the US, a founding member of the 5 Eyes Alliance. However, PIA boasts a strict no-logs policy, ensuring your OpenAI Chats are not recorded or stored. Moreover, this policy has been verified by independent audits, and it releases transparency reports that demonstrate it doesn’t hand over any data on request.
Despite the abundance of technical features, PIA’s long-term plan is among the cheapest on the market. Plus, there's no financial risk in trying PIA with ChatGPT since it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections. With one subscription, PIA lets you use ChatGPT securely on all your devices at the same time. There’s no need to log out from one device in order to use PIA on another.
- MACE blocker. This prevents trackers from monitoring your ChatGPT usage. It also automatically blocks domains linked with malware or scams — such as the many phishing websites disguised as ChatGPT.
- An extensive server network. PIA offers a huge network of 29,650 servers across 91 countries, giving you plenty of closeby servers to choose from wherever you are. It also has servers in all US states, which is rare for most VPNs. Because of the amount of servers, you’ll never be stuck with an unreliable or laggy long-distance server that slows down your chats.
|One-click Double VPN servers add an extra level of encryption to keep your data away from prying eyes
|81Mbps (19% drop) on nearby UK servers for speedy Chats
|Security and Privacy
|An audited no-logs policy and RAM-based servers for private ChatGPT sessions
|6,088 servers across 61 countries plus various specialty servers for added security and privacy
NordVPN is an excellent choice thanks to its specialty security servers like its Double VPN connections. This feature routes your internet traffic through two VPN servers, meaning your data receives two layers of encryption. You can rest assured that your ChatGPT activities or any personal data are kept as secure as possible.
Its intuitive apps also make it a great choice for beginners. The world map interface lets you click the location you want for your ChatGPT session — no trawling through server lists. Plus, installing NordVPN on my Mac, Windows, and Android devices took minutes.
It’s worth noting that the Double VPN servers are slower than regular connections. While nearby servers in the UK only slowed my connection by 19%, the Double VPN servers were considerably slower. For reference, the Fastest server option with double encryption gave me a 32% speed drop. This was still fast enough to use ChatGPT, but I had to wait a little longer for my chats to load.
Subscription plans start at $3.39/month. For the best value for money, I recommend the 2-year option. You can also try NordVPN for free using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Exclusive NordLynx protocol. NordLynx isn’t a built-from-scratch proprietary protocol like ExpressVPN’s Lightway but a modified version of WireGuard that fixes some of its security vulnerabilities. It gives you secure and fast connections for ChatGPT.
- Dark Web Monitor. NordVPN’s Dark Web Monitor will trawl the darknet and inform you immediately if your details leak. It’s been found that ChatGPT does use email addresses and phone numbers as training data, which can pose a security risk. Knowing your accounts have been leaked can help you protect your data against hackers.
|NoBorders and Camouflage Mode to get around ISP blocks and easily access ChatGPT, even on problematic networks
|80Mbps (20% drop) — slower than other VPNs on this list, but still more than fast enough for ChatGPT
|Security and Privacy
|AES 256-bit encryption and a kill switch so no one can intercept your private information
|3,200 servers across 100 countries to mask your IP for better security
Surfshark’s Camouflage Mode (obfuscation) feature allows easy access to ChatGPT even when you’re up against restrictive public networks at schools or libraries. It circumvents public network firewalls that block ChatGPT or VPNs. Furthermore, Surfshark's NoBorders mode provides a list of servers that can help you use GPT if you’re connected to an unreliable network.
A major plus is that Surfshark offers unlimited device connections, just like PIA. I connected my Android smartphone, iOS tablet, Linux, and Windows laptops without problems. It remained stable across all the devices I tested. Even when using multiple simultaneous devices, I didn’t experience any slowdowns while using ChatGPT.
Subscriptions are fairly priced — you can get Surfshark’s long-term plan for just $2.89/month. I recommend the 2-year option to save the most money. If you’re not 100% happy with the VPN, a money-back guarantee allows you to request a refund within 30 days.
- Rotating IP. Surfshark can regularly refresh your IP without changing your selected location to evade profiling on ChatGPT and other platforms.
- CleanWeb. This feature blocks trackers so that your ChatGPT activity isn’t monitored by any advertising companies. It also automatically blocks domains associated with malware, including fake ChatGPT sites. However, it isn’t as effective as PIA’s MACE nor as customizable as NordVPN’s Threat Protection.
Quick Comparison Table: ChatGPT VPN Features
Should you find it challenging to choose a VPN, the subsequent comparison table laid out side-by-side may aid you in identifying the most suitable VPN for ChatGPT.
In my assessment, I prioritized obfuscation tech and speeds, as both are crucial factors for whether you can smoothly use ChatGPT. I also included how many devices can be connected simultaneously to each VPN, so you know how many people in your household can securely use the chatbot at the same time.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for ChatGPT
Every VPN on my roster provides noteworthy capabilities suited for ChatGPT. If you're interested in conducting your own evaluations, you're welcome to utilize my checklist:
- Obfuscation. It makes your VPN connection look like regular internet traffic so that you can bypass VPN-blocking firewalls and access ChatGPT on restrictive networks like those in schools, libraries, and workspaces.
- Robust security and privacy features. For secure and private ChatGPT usage, your VPN should provide critical security features such as AES 256-bit encryption, a no-logs policy, a kill switch, and IP/DNS leak protection.
- Fast speeds. To use ChatGPT seamlessly, it's essential to choose a VPN that doesn’t significantly impact your internet speed. Otherwise, you may run into long wait times when using the chatbot.
- Vast server network. Choose a VPN with numerous servers across the world. This minimizes the likelihood of server congestion and guarantees a wide selection of reliable servers for using ChatGPT safely.
- Device compatibility. Ensure your VPN is compatible with the devices you intend to use for ChatGPT. Top VPN providers offer user-friendly apps for all popular operating systems, such as Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux.
- Reliable customer support. Look for a VPN that offers 24/7 support that can promptly address any queries you may have.
- Trustworthy money-back guarantee. A VPN with a reliable money-back guarantee ensures you can receive a complete refund if dissatisfied with the service.
Quick Guide: How to Use ChatGPT With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for its fast, reliable, and obfuscated server network, which is ideal for using ChatGPT securely. You can try ExpressVPN without risk (it’s backed by a 30-day money-back policy).
- Connect to a server. Nearby locations offer the fastest speeds. The VPN will encrypt your data, so you’ll have access to ChatGPT even if a certain public network blocks it.
- Start using ChatGPT. Enjoy private and secure access to the AI chatbot, even on restrictive and unreliable networks, like those in schools and libraries.
FAQs on VPNs for ChatGPT
Is it legal to use ChatGPT with a VPN?
Using ChatGPT with a VPN is legal in most countries. You can use any VPN on this list to safely access and use ChatGPT. However, this isn’t the case for all regions. VPN use and ChatGPT are both restricted by law in some locations. It’s important to check your country's laws and regulations regarding VPN usage and ChatGPT before using either tool.
For instance, countries like China and Russia ban or heavily restrict VPNs. Similarly, ChatGPT is blocked in these countries as well.
Where is ChatGPT blocked or banned?
The service is restricted or banned in several countries, including China, Russia, Belarus, Iran, North Korea, Egypt, Venezuela, Afghanistan, and Cuba.
It’s also worth mentioning that ChatGPT is restricted in some workplaces (such as at Amazon, Verizon, and JP Morgan), schools, and libraries. For instance, you can use a VPN to access ChatGPT securely if your college network restricts it.
ChatGPT Access Denied: How do I fix error code 1020?
The ChatGPT error code 1020 typically indicates access denial, possibly due to browser-related issues or IP bans. To fix this, try the following solutions:
- Disable or enable your VPN. Sometimes, your VPN connection might cause this error, so try disconnecting it. Conversely, if you're using your regular connection, try using a ChatGPT VPN to change your IP address, as network restrictions could be causing the issue.
- Clear browser cache and cookies. Corrupted or conflicting cookies and site data can lead to this error. Clearing your browser's cookies and cache can resolve the issue. It’s also good practice for avoiding data profiling.
- Switch browsers or devices. Sometimes, the problem is specific to a browser or device. Switching browsers or devices could help.
Are there privacy concerns relating to ChatGPT?
ChatGPT collects a lot of user data. This includes your chats, metadata, and other information. That’s why it’s recommended to get a VPN with robust security and privacy features — this can, at least, prevent any data logged by ChatGPT from being linked to your real IP address. I’d also recommend using a private or Incognito window and signing up for ChatGPT with a burner email.
This data is allegedly used to improve the model's performance and provide a better user experience, but it still represents a major privacy concern. It’s possible these datasets could be a prime target of cyberattacks or could even be sold to third parties. In fact, researchers are proving that it’s surprisingly easy to find email addresses and phone numbers with certain prompts.
Italy previously banned ChatGPT over privacy concerns. According to the Italian data privacy regulator, ChatGPT violated several rules like not informing users what data is collected and providing information about people that is inaccurate or even untrue. Plus, there was no legal basis for collecting vast amounts of personal information to train ChatGPT. It has since been approved for use in the country.
What can I do if my VPN is not working with ChatGPT?
There are a few possible solutions if you have issues accessing ChatGPT. First, make sure you’re using a quality VPN that’s proven to work with ChatGPT. Many VPNs fail to unblock the service on restrictive public networks (schools, workspaces, etc.).
If you’re definitely using a good VPN and you’re still having issues, here are a few other things you can try:
- Change the VPN server. The one you are connected to could be experiencing issues that may leave it unable to access ChatGPT.
- Ensure your VPN is up to date. You may have issues with a bug that has been fixed in the latest update — install any that are pending and try again.
- Disable your firewall and antivirus. These may be flagging your VPN as malicious and blocking its proper functionality. Try either disabling this software or allowlisting your VPN in their settings.
- Contact customer support. If none of the above options work, reach out to the customer support service for your VPN. They may be able to help you troubleshoot and rectify the issue.
Is it possible for hackers to see my chats on OpenAI?
The security of your chats on ChatGPT depends on your own security practices and OpenAI's data protection measures. OpenAI employs various security protocols to protect user data. However, like any online platform, there's always a risk, especially if your network security is compromised. Using a secure and private internet connection such as a VPN can enhance your privacy and reduce the risk of unauthorized access to your chats.
Can I use a VPN to access ChatGPT at work or college?
Yes, you can use a VPN to access ChatGPT at work or college. A VPN can help bypass network restrictions that your workplace or educational institution may impose. However, be aware that some organizations prohibit using VPNs on their networks. Violating these policies could lead to consequences, so I advise checking your organization's rules before using a VPN.
How can I bypass the GPT-4 message limit?
Bypassing the GPT-4 message limit isn't typically possible through regular user methods, as these limits are set by OpenAI to manage server load. However, subscribing to services like ChatGPT Plus offers higher usage limits and prioritized access. The use of efficient prompts can help maximize Chat’s outputs, reducing the need for multiple messages.
In order for ChatGPT to log less of your data while you're chatting with it, I recommend using a VPN to encrypt your traffic and keep your activities safe.
Can I use a free VPN with ChatGPT?
Yes, but it’s not recommended. Free VPNs typically can’t unblock ChatGPT on restrictive networks. Even if you find one that can, free VPNs are notorious for slow connection speeds and poor security. Many free VPNs even collect and sell user data to third parties. You’re better off using a quality VPN with a trustworthy money-back guarantee to ensure reliable and private access to ChatGPT.
Get the Best VPN for ChatGPT
ChatGPT collects a worrying amount of personal data, the extent of which isn’t even clear at this point. Not only can it analyze your prompts and log your chats, but it can also track your browsing across other websites and build a profile of your online activity. Luckily, you can minimize some of this intrusive data harvesting with a VPN.
The best service for ChatGPT is ExpressVPN. Its automatic obfuscation requires zero configuration, so it’s great for beginners, and it can bypass the toughest network restrictions to access ChatGPT at school or work. Plus, its security features make sure that all your chats and data are private and safe. You can try ExpressVPN with ChatGPT risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for ChatGPT…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.