5 Best VPNs for Dota 2 – Updated for Gaming in 2021
Whether you’re a Dota Pro or a casual hero, latency difficulties and long, boring queue times aren’t fun for anyone.
The good news is that a VPN can help you overcome many of the issues most complained about in Dota 2. From protecting you against DDoS attacks to allowing you to choose your own regional server, a VPN is a crucial team member.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Dota 2
- NordVPN — From CyberSec security software to gaming-optimized servers, NordVPN has everything you need to play Dota 2 and is our top recommendation.
- ExpressVPN — One of the fastest VPNs on the market, ExpressVPN can help to eliminate annoying lag.
- CyberGhost — Fast, secure, and user-friendly, CyberGhost is a reliable VPN for gaming.
- Surfshark — Great at unblocking restricted content, this new VPN is packed with features.
- PrivateVPN — Centred on privacy and security, PrivateVPN is an easy-to-use service that’s ideal for beginners.
What You Need in a VPN for Dota 2
As we mentioned before, VPNs can be pivotal when it comes to reducing lag and giving you uninterrupted gameplay.
Since a VPN works by redirecting your traffic through one of its own private servers, VPNs can tackle latency by connecting you to a server that’s closer to the regional Dota server you’d like to join.
Not only can this increase your connection speeds, but it also means you can choose exactly which game server you’d like play. Good news for players who want to team up with friends who live abroad, or travelers who want to connect to their home server while they’re away.
One unfortunate part of playing any online game is the risk that another player will turn to DoS or DDoS attacks in order to get revenge or disable your team so that they can win. When you connect to any public server, your IP address can be discovered, leaving it vulnerable to attack.
Any VPN will mask your IP address by routing your traffic through its own server. However, you’ll need a VPN with excellent encryption and leak protection to make sure your IP address is never compromised.
It’s also a good idea to look for a VPN that has a no logs policy and that isn’t based in a 5 Eyes, 9 Eyes, or 14 Eyes Alliance country. Using a VPN technically goes against the Steam user agreement so you want to make sure your VPN isn’t storing any data that can be linked back to you.
Best VPNs for Dota 2
NordVPN is consistently voted by our users as the best VPN and it’s particularly well-suited to gaming. 5,460 servers in 60 countries provide both excellent speeds and the option to connect to Dota 2 servers all over the world.
Dedicated gaming servers are optimized for gameplay and you’ll be able to protect up to 6 of your devices at one time.
Panama-based NordVPN has a strict no-logs policy so won’t store any sensitive information about you or your usage. Double VPN will give you an added layer of security while military-grade encryption and malware-blocking CyberSec software will keep you safe from hackers and online threats.
There’s no danger of wasting your money if you end up disliking NordVPN, either. You can try out the service risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
Rated by our users as the fastest VPN, ExpressVPN has servers in 160 different worldwide locations. Its apps are packed with customizable settings so you can optimize the service for gameplay and you’ll be able to connect up to 5 devices under one license.
AES256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection all work hard to keep your IP address private. TrustedServer technology and a no log policy also mean that this British Virgin Islands-based VPN will not be storing any of your information.
If ExpressVPN’s slightly higher prices are putting you off, you can always try out the VPN for a month first with its 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
Based in Romania, CyberGhost has been extremely pro-privacy ever since it was founded. Impressive security features include military-grade encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IP leak protection, automatic ad and malware-blockers, and a no log policy.
Lightning-fast speeds and connection stability come courtesy of an impressive network of 6,800 servers in 90 different countries. User reviews also rate CyberGhost’s good mix of features with ease of use.
You can take their word for it or try CyberGhost out for yourself with its ample 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
In fact, many of its unique features have been specifically created to protect your privacy. Camouflage mode is designed to hide your VPN usage from your ISP to prevent throttling. MultiHop software allows you to connect to the internet via several different servers, and CleanWeb will protect you from trackers, malware, and ads.
Surfshark’s speeds are good despite it having a smaller server network than other VPNs. All of its servers are P2P-friendly and the service will allow you unlimited device connections under one license.
Try Surfshark now with a 30-day money-back guarantee or read more real reviews.
Surfshark can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
Surfshark works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, FireTV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox.
If you’ve never used a VPN for Dota 2 before, PrivateVPN is a fantastic first choice for beginners. Our users appreciate its simplicity and easy-to-set-up apps.
That’s not to say that PrivateVPN isn’t powerful, though. It still boasts some pretty impressive speeds and military-grade 256-bit encryption to keep you safe from hackers. PrivateVPN is also based in Sweden and has a zero logs policy, so your information will not be stored without your consent.
Best of all, PrivateVPN still offers a 7-day completely free trial. If you want to test it out for longer, there’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app.
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Summary and Further Reading
Choosing the right VPN can make latency and region-locked Dota 2 gaming a thing of the past. All you have to do is choose the best VPN for your needs then make the most of our VPN deals and coupon codes.
If you want to take up our top recommendation, you can also find specific NordVPN coupons here.
Undecided on the right VPN to reduce latency in Dota 2? Read more about the time we tested the world’s fastest VPNs.
To summarize, the best VPNs for Dota 2 in April 2021 are …
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.