5 Best VPNs for Hong Kong – For Safety, Streaming & Speeds in 2020
While residents and visitors to Hong Kong enjoy a largely free and uncensored internet, the territory’s freedoms and autonomy have come under threat recently, leading Hong Kong to be rated as “partly free” in the 2019 Freedom in the World annual report by Freedom House.
With a dark shadow hanging over Hong Kong’s democratic freedoms, we strongly recommend that you use a VPN while in Hong Kong to protect your safety and privacy.
In addition to safeguarding your online privacy, a premium VPN also enables you to bypass geoblocks and access the full catalogs from your favorite streaming services.
Additionally, a VPN provider with server locations in Hong Kong will grant you a Hong Kong IP address and allow you to access local content from anywhere in the world.
This article will take you through the best VPNs to use in Hong Kong, whether you are a full-time resident, frequent traveler, or just visiting.
Summary of the Best VPNs for Hong Kong
Below is our list of the best VPNs to use in Hong Kong:
- ExpressVPN – Consistently the fastest VPN in our speed tests, ExpressVPN also has military-grade encryption and a strict no-logs policy.
- CyberGhost – Huge network of servers across the globe, including in Hong Kong, for easy access to global and local content.
- NordVPN – Offers a great balance between security and speed, for hassle-free browsing and streaming in Hong Kong.
- Surfshark – Great for streaming, Surfshark has user-friendly apps on all major platforms, robust features, and impressive speeds.
- PrivateVPN – A great budget VPN that offers unlimited bandwidth and specialist servers, and with high-speed servers, there will be no buffering.
What You Should Look for in a VPN for Hong Kong
Hong Kong’s constitution guarantees civil rights and democratic freedoms including freedom of the press, freedom of expression, and the rule of law. These freedoms greatly distinguish the territory from the oppressive regime of mainland China.
However, due to growing interference from Beijing, Hong Kong’s core democratic values are being eroded, leading to a decline in press freedom and increased self-censorship among journalists.
While private discussion is generally open and free, mainland security agencies are suspected of monitoring the communications of pro-democracy activists.
Proposed legislation by the Hong Kong government that would allow local officials to arrest and extradite Hong Kongers to the mainland sparked a massive protest in June 2019 with more than a million people taking to the streets.
Facing increased risks of being monitored and tracked for their political activity, like their peers in China, Hong Kong activists are keeping a low profile online. In the past, Hong Kong protestors have been arrested and charged with inciting to public nuisance, and these arrests have made people wary about what they say on the internet.
On a more positive note, China’s strict internet censorship regime does not apply to Hong Kong, and internet access is almost ubiquitous.
The GovWiFI initiative was launched in 2008, with the aim to transform Hong Kong into a wireless city with internet access for all. As a result, residents and visitors can access the public internet networks almost everywhere, including public transportation.
However, such widespread internet availability comes with a certain amount of risk, particularly with unsecured public wi-fi.
It’s important that you protect your online security and privacy by using a VPN every time you access the internet in Hong Kong.
We recommend that you look for a VPN with the following features:
- A strict zero-logs policy to ensure that none of your data can be stolen, sold on, or handed over to a government organization if requested. Furthermore, you won’t have to be concerned with self-censoring your content, like so many are in Hong Kong.
- Robust encryption to protect your privacy and prevent your data from being intercepted.
- A stable and reliable network for an uninterrupted connection. Choose a VPN with a kill switch feature, which prevents your data from being exposed if your connection suddenly drops.
- Fast speeds for gaming, browsing, and torrenting in Hong Kong without lag, buffering, or throttling.
- Ability to overcome geoblocks and other VPN blocks to access global content that would otherwise be unavailable to you in Hong Kong.
- Local servers that will not only help with speed but will also allow you to access Hong Kong content when you are outside the region.
- Mobile apps on a number of platforms for safe and secure internet use on the vast number of unsecured public wi-fi networks in Hong Kong.
Best VPNs for Hong Kong
If you are looking for a VPN for streaming and torrenting, then ExpressVPN could be the one for you. It has over 3,000 high-speed servers, in 160 locations – including in Hong Kong – for speedy streaming and torrenting of both global and local content.
One of the amazing things about ExpressVPN is that you can stream your favorite shows even on platforms that don’t support VPNs. With the MediaStreamer feature, you can access your favorite streaming services through your games console, Smart TV, Amazon Fire, and Apple TV.
Speed does not come at the expense of security. Express VPN offers you military-grade encryption, Open VPN support across all platforms, leak-proof apps, and a kill switch. Additionally, live chat is available 24/7 and setup guides are available for most platforms.
Too good to be true? ExpressVPN users don’t think so.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
If you appreciate a user-friendly interface, CyberGhost is a great choice for you. It has easy-to-use apps and one-click setup, so even a VPN novice can navigate the CyberGhost dashboard with ease.
With high-speed servers in Hong Kong and 60 other global locations, this VPN consistently unblocks global content with a reliable connection.
CyberGhost is compatible with all the major platforms and comes with all you need for staying safe online in Hong Kong. Security features include robust encryption, leak-proof apps, a strict zero-logs policy, and a kill switch to stop data transmission if your connection suddenly drops.
The 45-day money-back guarantee and the ability to connect seven devices simultaneously has made CyberGhost a popular choice amongst VPN users.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
NordVPN provides the perfect balance between speed and security. With exceptional performance, this VPN has all the features and security you need for safe and dependable browsing.
Registered in Panama, NordVPN is far from Fourteen Eyes surveillance and corresponding data retention laws, so it can operate a strict no-logs policy. Your privacy and security are further protected thanks to AES-256 encryption, support for OpenVPN, and the CyberSec suite that provides adblocking and additional malware protection.
Streaming and torrenting are one-click tasks and fast speeds are assured thanks to proprietary SmartPlay DNS settings. Users of NordVPN hail it for its all-around value.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
Although Surfshark is a relatively new VPN service, it is certainly gaining popularity. This is hardly surprising since it’s one of a very few VPNs that offers unlimited simultaneous connections, across a number of platforms. This is great for protecting the whole family or even a small business in Hong Kong.
Surfshark also offers great security features including double encryption, split tunneling, strict zero-logs policy, and the CleanWeb suite, which blocks ads and malware. Furthermore, the Camouflage Mode prevents your ISP from seeing that you are using a VPN.
It may have one of the smaller server networks, but with servers in over 50 key global locations, including Hong Kong, you will enjoy reliable and fast access to geo-restricted content. Users agree that Surfshark is a great choice of VPN.
Surfshark can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
Surfshark works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, FireTV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox.
PrivateVPN is a great budget VPN that offers all the necessary features and a reliable service for a great price.
As the name suggests, the privacy of its users is important to PrivateVPN. They don’t log any of your data and AES-256 encryption ensures that your information is safe from prying eyes. This is important if you’re looking for a VPN to use in Hong Kong.
Although it doesn’t have as large a server network as the likes of ExpressVPN, you will still be able to access geo-blocked content hassle-free.
PrivateVPN’s Stealth mode has been designed to bypass VPN blocks and firewalls for unlimited access to global and local content.
Specialized servers for Netflix and other streaming services and impressive speeds mean that you won’t experience the inconvenience of buffering.
Don’t take out word for it, try it yourself with the PrivateVPN 30-day money-back guarantee or check out what users have to say.
PrivateVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app.
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Summary and Further Reading
To keep your online activity in Hong Kong secure and private, you need to use a VPN every time you access the internet.
A VPN increases the amount of global content you can access in Hong Kong, as well as allowing you to access Hong Kong content no matter where you are in the world. Find out here how to get a Hong Kong IP address.
Each of the VPNs we’ve recommended would be a good VPN for Hong Kong. However, if you are still unsure which to choose, we recommend ExpressVPN. It’s lightning-fast, reliably bypasses geoblocks, and has military-grade encryption.