4 Best VPNs For France – For Safety, Streaming & Speeds in 2021
Are you a French citizen concerned about your country’s data retention laws, and what those laws mean for your online privacy? Or are you just frustrated that you can’t access US Netflix, HBO, the BBC iPlayer, and other content from all over the world?
Perhaps you plan to travel outside France and need a way to stay connected to your favorite French TV shows and local websites. Or maybe the opposite is true – you’re traveling to France and want to stay connected to your home country.
Censorship is rare in France, but there are still obstacles to accessing the web freely and anonymously. In spite of the country’s long history of celebrating love, freedom, and an “anything goes” attitude, there are plenty of reasons to use a high-quality VPN.
With hundreds or even thousands of VPNs to choose from, it’s not easy to tell the ones you can trust from the ones you shouldn’t go anywhere near. We’ll shed some light on what makes a VPN perfect for France.
To start, here’s a sneak peek at the top scorers in our VPN tests for France – and yes, we really do test them!
Summary of the Best VPNs for France
- ExpressVPN Express VPN’s super-fast connection speeds make it ideal for streaming and torrenting. A network spanning 90 countries takes you anywhere you want to go online.
- CyberGhost With easy-to-use, visual apps for all major devices, this VPN is great for beginners. It’s also a great value, offering high-level security and nice speeds at low cost.
- PrivateVPN This impressively fast VPN is simple to use and very budget-friendly. The unique Team Viewer service puts you directly in touch with the tech team for setup help.
- IPVanish IPVanish combines privacy, security, and reliability in a feature-packed service that allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices at once on a single subscription.
What You Should Look For in a VPN for France
Even in a country like France with open internet access, geoblocks can come between you and the sites and streaming services you want to reach. To access all the best content, you’ll need a VPN that unblocks US Netflix, Hulu, and similar sites.
Those same VPNs have the power to keep you connected to your favorite French TV networks and critical services like your bank when you travel outside the country. By securely connecting you to a remote server, a good VPN makes it look like you’re in the US, the UK, France, or wherever else you need to be to reach the sites that matter to you.
More importantly, a reliable VPN is a powerful tool to secure your devices against cybercrime and keep your personal information safe from spying eyes.
When France joined the 9-Eyes intelligence-gathering alliance, it was a bad day for the traditional French value of Liberté. Data retention laws like the Loi relative au renseignement, which was passed by the French parliament in 2015, threaten your online privacy.
The law requires French internet service providers (ISPs) to monitor web activity and report “suspicious patterns” to the authorities. The EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) aims to restore online privacy in France, but many websites don’t comply with the law.
Worse, data miners are already finding loopholes in the GDPR. And while no visit to France would be complete without spending time at a sidewalk café, using public wi-fi can mean exposing your data to anyone who gains access to the shared network.
A reliable VPN uses end-to-end, military-grade encryption to keep your data out of the hands of your ISP, government surveillance agencies, and hackers. VPNs also fully hide your IP address, ensuring that no one can trace your activity back to you.
Top-rated VPNs also include malware protection and extra security for public wi-fi. Their strict privacy policies ensure safe and anonymous file sharing, including torrenting.
To find the right VPN for your needs in France, look for:
- Strong encryption. The provider should offer ultra-secure VPN protocols like OpenVPN and IKEv2.
- No-logging policy. Finding a provider with a verified policy of never storing your session data is crucial if you don’t want to leave any footprints online.
- Large server network. For the easiest access to geoblocked content worldwide, look for a VPN with servers spread across many countries, along with a proven record of bypassing the VPN screens used by sites like Netflix and the BBC.
- High speeds. For a smooth streaming, gaming, or torrenting experience, you need a VPN with stable connections and lightning-fast servers. Many VPNs, including almost all free VPNs, get horrible scores on our speed tests.
We only recommend VPNs that meet all of these requirements, and in fact go far beyond them.
Best VPNs to Use in France – Detailed Guide
ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN we’ve tested (and we’ve tested hundreds of them), and delivers those speeds while maintaining a high level of security and privacy. Its network spans 90 countries, with three high-volume servers in France.
The provider secures the entire network with military-grade encryption and your choice of multiple security protocols. A rare split-tunneling option allows you to choose which apps use the VPN tunnel and which access the web directly, further improving your speed.
With a proven no-logging policy and advanced features like public wi-fi protection and an automatic kill switch, you won’t need to worry about data retention laws in France. Apps for all platforms are user-friendly, and you can connect up to 5 devices at once.
ExpressVPN is ideal for streaming, gaming, and torrenting, which makes it a popular choice worldwide. It’s not the cheapest VPN, but you can try it risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
With its visually based, user-friendly apps for all major platforms, Romania-based CyberGhost gets high praise from both tech savvy users and VPN beginners. Hidden behind its simple interface are advanced security features like AES-256 encryption.
Preset modes for streaming, anonymous torrenting, and secure browsing allow you to customize the VPN for your purpose with a click. A growing network of over 7,190 servers in 91 countries includes more than 200 in France.
A very strict no-logs policy, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection ensure your complete online privacy when you use CyberGhost. You can connect up to 7 devices at the same time to protect the whole family.
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
PrivateVPN is a small provider compared to the other VPNs on our list, with about 100 servers in 60 countries, including two in France. But don’t let the network size fool you – this affordably priced VPN delivers great speeds and many of the same features as the giants.
It uses strong AES 256-bit encryption to secure your connection and gives you 6 simultaneous connections so you can run it on all your gadgets. PrivateVPN seamlessly unblocks Netflix anywhere, something very few other similarly sized VPNs can do.
PrivateVPN also supports torrenting and other P2P sharing, although these activities are limited to specific servers. The remote help Team Viewer feature takes all the fear out of installing and setting up your VPN app if you’re a beginner.
No logs are kept and you can try it out with its 30-day money-back guarantee to allow you to see for yourself what this small wonder can do. User testimonials show that PrivateVPN delivers great value for your money.
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app.
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
IPVanish is a powerful VPN that you can share with your family and some friends as well – one subscription supports an unlimited number of simultaneous device connections. The VPN is secure, easy to use, and packed with features.
With IPVanish, you’ll have access to 1,900 servers in 70 countries, including 26 high-speed servers in France. Another 400+ servers spread across Europe will enable you to keep up with news around the EU, along with the best sports coverage across the continent.
IPVanish uses 256-bit encryption, a variety of VPN protocols, and a kill switch to secure your data. You can try it out risk-free using the 30-day money-back guarantee. We are usually uneasy about US-based VPNs, but it’s hard to argue with so many positive user reviews.
- Netflix, BBC iPlayer.
IPVanish works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, FireTV, Windows Phone, Linux, Chromebook, Routers.
Living in or visiting France should mean complete freedom, including the freedom to go wherever you want to go online without worrying about geo-restrictions, cybercrime, or internet surveillance. With the right VPN, that freedom will be yours.
Unfortunately, we haven’t yet found a way to get a VPN to pay for your lunch at a Paris café! We can still save you money, though, because our coupon-hunting pros search the web every day to make sure you get the hottest VPN deals.
To summarize, the best VPNs for France in 2021 are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.