How to Use ExpressVPN to Watch Netflix Anywhere in 2021
- Quick Guide: How to Use ExpressVPN to Watch Netflix in 3 Easy Steps
- ExpressVPN Not Working With Netflix? Here’s How to Fix It
- Why Use ExpressVPN to Watch Netflix?
- The Best ExpressVPN Servers to Watch Netflix
- How to Optimize ExpressVPN’s Speeds for Netflix
- How to Use ExpressVPN with Netflix on Mobile Devices
- FAQs on Watching Netflix With ExpressVPN
- Watch Netflix With ExpressVPN Today
Netflix is renowned for its super strong VPN-blocking technology — even the best VPNs can get blocked by Netflix eventually. It’s annoying to have to go searching for another server that works just to be able to continue the show you’re watching.
Sometimes VPNs that work well with Netflix can only access a few different regional libraries. If you’ve already used ExpressVPN to watch Netflix, then you know that it very rarely gets blocked and can access a lot of libraries in different locations.
My team and I tested 100+ VPNs to make sure this was still the case — we found that ExpressVPN is the best Netflix VPN. It’s really easy to use and has superfast speeds so you can watch your shows with no lag. It can also access more than 20 popular libraries, like the US, Canada, UK, and Australia. Besides, it backs its service with a money-back guarantee so you can test it out completely risk-free and claim a refund within 30 days if you’re not impressed.
Quick Guide: How to Use ExpressVPN to Watch Netflix in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN. Head to ExpressVPN’s website and choose a subscription plan (the cheapest one is only $6.67/month).
- Connect to a server. To connect to my US account, I chose a server in the US. Just choose a server in the location of the Netflix library you need.
- Start watching! Log in to Netflix with your credentials, and start watching your favorite shows!
ExpressVPN Not Working With Netflix? Here’s How to Fix It
While it’s rare to experience the dreaded Netflix proxy error or other issues with ExpressVPN, it can still happen — no VPN is immune to issues regarding Netflix’s strong VPN blocks.
The good news is that there’s usually an easy solution. Here are some simple troubleshooting tips to get Netflix up and running again:
- Disconnect and reconnect the VPN — You can also close the VPN software and reopen it to see if that works.
- Clear your cache and cookies, or use Incognito mode — Do this through the browser’s security settings, then close and reopen the browser, and reload Netflix. An even better method is to use Incognito mode with Netflix, since it doesn’t store any cookies that could identify your real location.
- Restart your router — If your speeds are bad, chances are high that rebooting your router will solve the issue.
- Check your proxy settings — In your computer’s control panel, search for proxy settings. Change the settings to “auto-detect proxy” or “do not detect proxy”.
- Change the VPN’s protocols — ExpressVPN automatically picks the best protocol for your network, but you can change it under the “Protocol” tab in the settings.The protocols it supports include Lightway, OpenVPN, IKEv2, and PPTP.
- Switch to a different VPN server — If one server is not working, switching to another server often helps.
- Update the VPN — If you’ve missed an update, chances are that’s the reason for the problem.
- Check for leaks — Run a leak test. This can help ensure that Netflix can only see the data encrypted through the VPN.
- Flush your DNS. Using your device’s command interface, you can clear all the old DNS data from your computer (which makes it harder for Netflix to flag your connection).
- Contact customer service — ExpressVPN offers customer support 24/7 and has a live chat function for speedy responses. If you contact them, they will recommend the best servers for Netflix, or help you resolve any connection issue you might be having.
- Unlimited data and superfast speeds to watch your favorite shows without lag
- 3,000 servers in 90 countries that give you access to multiple Netflix libraries
- MediaStreamer allows you to access Netflix on devices that don’t normally support VPNs
- Top security and privacy features to protect your online identity
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Can also unblock: Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
ExpressVPN can effortlessly bypass geoblocks with its impressive network of 3,000 servers in 90 countries. I tested 30 servers and I easily accessed Netflix UK, US, Canada, Australia, India, Brazil, Argentina, and more. Even though ExpressVPN advertises it can unblock 15 Netflix regions, I was able to access 20 Netflix libraries in total.
It also has superfast speeds and unlimited bandwidth. When I tested its Australia, UK, and US servers, I had an average speed of 41 Mbps. Since you only need 5 Mbps to stream in HD, this is more than enough to watch your favorite shows in high quality. Even if you use a server located thousands of miles away, you’ll be able to watch Netflix shows without buffering.
ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more, so you can switch between devices if you want to. I tested servers in the US, UK, Germany, and Brazil and was able to access those countries’ Netflix libraries on iOS and Android, through both the browser and the Netflix app.
In addition, the MediaStreamer feature helps you access Netflix on devices that normally don’t support VPNs. I tested this feature on my smart TV and PlayStation. The setup was surprisingly easy — it only took me 5 minutes to connect and watch US Netflix directly on my big screen.
On top of being one of the best Netflix VPNs, ExpressVPN also offers some of the strongest security and privacy features in the industry. These include military-grade encryption, a strict no-logs policy, multiple security protocols, automatic kill switch, and more. Even if you’re not concerned about keeping your online activity private, you’ll be well protected each time you connect to a server to watch Netflix.
The only minor con about ExpressVPN is that it’s a little more expensive than other VPNs. However, I found that you can get an offer for 49% off, so you can save quite a bit on a subscription plan.
You can also try it out risk-free since it is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. I decided to test its refund policy and contacted the 24/7 customer service on day 28 of my subscription. The live chat agent asked me a few questions about my user experience and quickly issued my refund. I had my money back in my account in 3 days.
When watching Netflix or other streaming platforms with a VPN, choosing the right server is important. The server you use can affect both the video quality and the stability of your connection.
Most servers I tried gave me great results, but some are better than others for streaming. I found that these servers gave me the best speeds and never ran into any proxy errors.
- USA: Los Angeles 3, San Jose, and Atlanta
- The UK: East London, London, and Wembley
- Canada: Montreal and Vancouver
- India: Mumbai 1
- Australia: Brisbane
Even if you are traveling halfway across the world, ExpressVPN will give you excellent speeds for watching your home Netflix library while abroad. When I tried accessing ExpressVPN’s US servers from Europe, I got nearly the same speeds from the US Atlanta server (48.2 Mbps) as the speed from local European servers (50.4 Mbps). These speeds are double what you need to watch shows in UltraHD.
How to Optimize ExpressVPN’s Speeds for Netflix
If you want to test some servers yourself, ExpressVPN offers a built-in speed test for its servers. However, I would recommend using Ookla’s speed test tool instead, as I get more accurate results with it. Just connect to a server in Netflix region you want and head to Ookla.net to see what your speeds are.
Here’s the recommended speed for each type of picture quality:
|Low (less than 480p)||1.5 Mbps|
|SD (480p)||3.0 Mbps|
|HD (720p-1080p)||5.0 Mbps|
|Ultra HD (4K)||25.0 Mbps|
How to Use ExpressVPN with Netflix on Mobile Devices
- Sign up for ExpressVPN. Go to the ExpressVPN website on your Android or iPhone and choose a subscription plan (you can get a discount of 49% off right now!)
- Download the app. Open your app store and download the ExpressVPN app.
- Install and launch the app. Log in with your ExpressVPN credentials.
- Connect to a server. Choose a server in a Netflix location of your choice. ExpressVPN unblocks 20+ Netflix libraries including US, UK, and Australia.
- Download Netflix. Install the app and log in.
- Start watching Netflix! You can now access other regions’ Netflix libraries using your Android or iPhone!
FAQs on Watching Netflix With ExpressVPN
How do I change my Netflix region with ExpressVPN?
Use the following simple steps to change your Netflix region with ExpressVPN.
- Open ExpressVPN. Log in and open the server list.
- Select a server in the Netflix region you want. If you want to access Canadian Netflix, choose a server in Canada. I recommend the Montreal or Vancouver servers.
- Open Netflix and press play! The corresponding Netflix library should automatically load. So, if you choose a Canadian server, you’ll see the Canadian library when you open Netflix.
If you don’t have a Netflix account already, then you’ll need to sign up. But don’t worry — it doesn’t matter where you subscribe. Changing VPN servers will automatically load the corresponding library once you have an account and sign in, so you can use your local payment method.
What’s the best VPN for Netflix?
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Netflix. It offers incredibly reliable servers that can access Netflix in different countries. I was able to access more than 20 libraries when I tested it, including the US, UK, Canada, Japan, and Australia.
It also has fast speeds to watch in high quality and a MediaStreamer feature that lets you access Netflix on devices not normally compatible with VPNs (like gaming consoles and smart TVs). It’s really easy to set up and has a user-friendly interface. Even if you’re new to VPNs, it’s the best choice if your main concern is watching Netflix.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Netflix?
Free VPNs rarely work with Netflix. They just don’t have the unblocking abilities to reliably get past Netflix’s geo-restrictions and VPN-blocks. Since they don’t have the money to update their servers and IP addresses, they often get blacklisted by the platform.
In addition, free VPNs can come with extremely slow download speeds. A better option is to pick a low-cost premium service like ExpressVPN. You can test it risk-free since it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. This way you don’t have to make a commitment to the subscription before you test out its Netflix unblocking abilities.
How much does ExpressVPN cost?
You can get ExpressVPN for as low as $6.67/month. The price depends on the length of your subscription, with the longer terms offering the biggest discounts. Currently, you can get up to 49% off!
You can try any of ExpressVPN’s subscription plans out risk-free since they’re all backed by a money-back guarantee. If you’re not impressed, you have 30 days to claim a full refund.
Is it legal to use ExpressVPN for Netflix?
Yes, mostly. But it’s complicated. Using a VPN to solely access Netflix content in a region other than the one you signed up in could be breaking its Terms and Conditions. While this could result in being banned from the service, this would be extremely rare.
In countries like China, where VPNs are banned outright, using a non-government-approved VPN to access Netflix would be illegal. ExpressVPN also offers top security and privacy features to keep your data secure. However, the team at vpnMentor recommends that you always inform yourself of the laws and regulations in your region to make sure you’re not breaking any rules that could get you into trouble.
Watch Netflix With ExpressVPN Today
Finding the right VPN to unblock Netflix from anywhere is not an easy task. Netflix constantly checks for and blocks known VPN servers.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for watching Netflix from anywhere. It gives you instant access to 20+ Netflix libraries and it’s very easy to install on any device — it only takes 2 minutes. You can also use it to access Netflix on smart TVs, gaming consoles, and other devices most VPNs don’t work with.
That, plus its lightning-fast speeds, reliable unblocking abilities, and excellent privacy tools make it my recommended choice for Netflix. You can even try it out yourself risk-free because it is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not impressed, you can claim a full refund easily.
The best VPNs to watch Netflix anywhere in 2021 are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.