ExpressVPN Can Work With Netflix in 2021 | Watch Anywhere
Using a VPN to go around Netflix’s geo-restrictions is a great idea but not every VPN is good enough for that task. Netflix is one of the toughest streaming platforms to unblock because it’s constantly checking for and blocking known VPN servers. The end result is that some VPNs can unblock some of Netflix’s libraries in certain locations and other VPNs can’t.
Still, good VPNs can unblock most of Netflix’s content, especially the platform’s biggest and most sought-after libraries like those in France, Canada, and the US. If you already have ExpressVPN you know how great it is at unblocking global streaming services, including Netflix libraries worldwide. If this is your first time using a VPN, don’t worry – I’ll explain how it works below and mention a few quick fixes if you should run into any issues It’s very easy even if you don’t have a lot of tech experience.
Besides, it backs its service with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee and you can use it on up to 5 simultaneously.
Quick Guide: How to Watch Netflix With ExpressVPN in May 2021
- Sign up to ExpressVPN.
- Download the app, install it on your device, and connect to a server in your prefered country.
- Go to Netflix and start watching.
Already Have ExpressVPN but Can’t Access Netflix?
Out of all VPNs I’ve tested, ExpressVPN seems the least prone to proxy errors and issues.This doesn’t mean that it’s 100% problem-free, however – no VPN is immune to issues when it comes to Netflix’s harsh firewalls and geo-blocks.
But while facing an unfamiliar software issue can be intimidating, there’s usually an easy solution. So, even if you’re not too tech savvy, the tips I’ve listed below are easy to follow and very likely to solve your issue:
- Disconnect and reconnect the VPN – Fixing a VPN’s access to a streaming platform is often just as easy as fixing any other software or hardware – just reboot it.
- Clear your cache and cookies – Your location data can leak in many different ways and Netflix’s geo-blocks are quite proficient at sniffing our data out even around a good VPN’s encryptions.
One way to fix this is to just clear your browser’s cache and cookies through the browser’s settings, close and reopen the browser, and reload Netflix.
- Use an Incognito browser window – People often underestimate the value of a browser’s Incognito mode, especially when using a VPN. Incognito mode can do a lot of heavy-lifting when it comes to protecting your cache and cookies, however, so it’s a good idea to always open Netflix and other streaming services that way.
- Change the VPN’s protocols – The very concept of encryption protocols can sound daunting if you don’t have experience with them but a VPN’s protocols are very easy to play with. In short, your VPN’s protocols are the different sets of instructions your VPN uses to keep your data protected with some protocols being more secure than others. In the case of ExpressVPN, there are several protocols that work well for streaming services including Lightway, OpenVPN (TCP and UDP), and WireGuard. A good trick to try is to go to your VPN’s settings and to change the default protocol to any of the others. If one protocol you try doesn’t work just try another one, as it also offers IKEv2, PPTP SSTP, and L2TP.
- Switch to a different VPN server – Netflix is very good at identifying and blacklisting a VPN’s servers when we view the platform through them. This is why the best VPNs for Netflix are the ones with large and quickly-expanding server networks with plenty of available IP networks such as ExpressVPN – because even when Netflix manages to blacklist and block one of its servers, all you need to do is switch to another server and watch Netflix that way.
- Update the VPN – VPNs and streaming platforms are locked in a never ending game of cat and mouse. The streaming platform updates its firewalls and geo-blocks, and the VPN updates its encryptions and unblocking tools.
That’s why it’s important to always keep ExpressVPN up to date. If you’ve missed an update or two, chances are that’s the reason for the problems you’re having.
- Check if your data is leaking in any way – Location data can leak through many places, not just from our browsers. The WiFi extender is another common cause of leaks. One smart thing to do when you’re having problems is to run a leak test. This can help make sure that data isn’t leaking from anywhere, and Netflix can only see the data encrypted through the VPN.
- Contact customer service – ExpressVPN has a very good 24/7 customer service. Getting in touch with them is an easy and quick way to solve most problems.
- Try a different VPN – The issue might be that ExpressVPN works with Netflix but just not with the particular content library you want to access. In my testing I’ve found that it works with most major countries’ Netflix libraries such as the US, UK, Canada, most of Europe, and many others. However, the few countries ExpressVPN struggles with include Australia, Brazil, Hungary, Israel, Mexico, and the United Arab Emirates. If you need information on some more of the best VPNs for Netflix, check out this article.
Why Use ExpressVPN to Watch Netflix?
ExpressVPN is one of my favorite VPNs in general, whether it’s for torrenting, privacy and security, or traveling. It is especially good for streaming platforms such as Netflix, however, as well as HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Showtime, and others.
One of the main reasons for that is it’s impressive network of 3,000 servers in 90 countries around the world. With these numbers increasing every year, ExpressVPN is very well-equipped for dealing with Netflix’s constant server blacklisting.
It also has some of the best unblocking tools for dealing with Netflix’s geo-restrictions. There aren’t many other VPNs I’ve tested that are as good as ExpressVPN at getting access to most of Netflix’s major content libraries. The unlimited bandwidth is ideal for watching Netflix too as streaming takes up a lot of Mbps and not every VPN is good enough for that.
As far as speed is concerned, ExpressVPN is the fastest provider I’ve seen yet. In all my tests, it barely slowed my internet speed. This is crucial for streaming Netflix as it ensures the best possible video quality buffer-free.
The privacy and security features of ExpressVPN are very good too, including its no-logs policy, kill switch, strong encryption protocols, and more. Plus, there’s P2P and torrenting support.
Most important for streaming, however, is ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer feature. With it, you can access Netflix’s content even on devices that won’t typically work with a VPN such as an Apple TV or an LG TV. All you need to do is install ExpressVPN’s app on your router and you should be able to watch Netflix on any device in your home.
The 24/7 customer support and the 30-day money-back guarantee and ExpressVPN becomes both a great and a safe bet to try.
The Best ExpressVPN Servers to Watch Netflix
When watching Netflix or other streaming platforms through a VPN, choosing the right server is vital both for the video quality and even just for managing to establish a stable connection.
With ExpressVPN, most servers I’ve tried have given me a good performance, however, some are definitely better than others for streaming.
Some of the servers I’d recommend you try first in certain countries include:
- USA: Los Angeles 3, San Jose, and Tampa
- The UK: East London, London, and Wembley
- Canada: Montreal and Toronto
- Japan: Tokyo 1
- France: Paris 2
Don’t feel the need to restrict yourself to just servers in the country you want to access. When I tried ExpressVPN’s US servers from Europe I got nearly the same speeds from the US Tampa server (59.1 Mbps) as the speed from local European servers (59.12 Mbps).
If you want to test some servers yourself, ExpressVPN offers built-in speed tests for its servers. With this tool, you can pick and choose which ExpressVPN server has the best speeds and quality for the particular location you’re interested in.
For the best possible results I’d recommend following this quality/speed framework:
- Minimum quality for 500 kbps of internet speeds
- Less than 480p for 1.5 Mbps of internet speed
- 480p or better (standard quality video) at speeds of 3 Mbps
- 720p or better (high definition video) at speeds of 5 Mbps
- Ultra HD at speeds of 25 Mbps. This is 1080p or better quality
FAQs on Watching Netflix With ExpressVPN
What’s the best VPN for Netflix?
At the moment, the best VPN for Netflix seems to be ExpressVPN. The combination of excellent unblocking tools, very fast server speeds, and the MediaStreamer feature just put it one length ahead of the competition.
Granted, the VPN niche is very volatile and the “best” VPN for streaming is often changing but ExpressVPN is consistently at or near the top at all times so it’s a very safe bet if you’re looking for quality.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Netflix?
Free VPNs are very unlikely to work well with Netflix even if these VPNs occasionally work with some other streaming platforms. Free VPNs just don’t have the unblocking tools to reliably get past Netflix’s geo-restrictions and their servers are constantly getting blacklisted by the platform.
Add the laughably slow server speeds of free VPNs and the much smarter choice is to pick a premium service like ExpressVPN and utilize its 30-day money-back guarantee instead.
Which VPN is the fastest?
ExpressVPN seems to be decisively ahead of the rest of its competition in terms of speed at the moment. This is subject to change but all my most recent speed tests put ExpressVPN as the fastest VPN for streaming out there. This is especially important for Ultra HD streaming on large TV sets with as little buffering or connectivity issues as possible.
How can I get an IP address in a particular country?
If you’re unsure about the whole process of getting an IP address in a particular country, don’t worry – it’s very simple. Say, you want to get a US IP address to access Netflix’s large US library, for example.
All you need to do is log in ExpressVPN’s app on your preferred device, go to the app’s list of supported countries, pick the US, choose a server, and that’s it – you should now be connected to a US IP address. To switch to a different country, just repeat the process.
Watch Netflix With ExpressVPN Today
As of right now, ExpressVPN is the best tool for watching Netflix from anywhere in the world. It’s very easy to install on any device within no more than a couple of minutes and it can enable Netflix even on TV sets other VPNs can’t work with.
That, plus ExpressVPN’s lightning-fast speeds, good privacy tools, and great unblocking capabilities, make it my preferred choice for Netflix and other streaming platforms.
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.