How to Change the App Store Country in 2024 (iPhone & Mac)
- Quick Guide: How to Change the Apple App Store Country With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPNs to Change the Apple App Store Country in 2024
- ExpressVPN — Fast & Reliable Servers Ensure High-Quality Streaming on Apps
- CyberGhost — User-Friendly Apps to Change the Apple App Store Country With Ease
- Private Internet Access — Huge Server Network for Reliable Access to Any App Store Country
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPNs for Changing the App Store Location
- How to Change the App Store Country With a VPN
- FAQs on Changing Your App Store Country With a VPN
- Change Your Apple App Store Country Now
Many countries have unique sets of movies, shows, and apps available on the Apple App Store, and you can only access them using an account with the respective location. In addition, redeeming an iTunes gift card is only possible in the country it was purchased in.
A VPN masks your location and bypasses geo-blocks to help you access desired apps and services from anywhere. For example, the only way I was able to access League of Legends: Wild Rift on my iPhone while traveling to India was by changing the App Store country to the US while using a VPN. This also let me redeem a US iTunes gift card without problems.
I highly recommend ExpressVPN for changing regions on your Mac and iPhone. The service offers a massive server network and a beginner-friendly interface to easily change your App Store location. Plus, you can try ExpressVPN without risk, as it's backed by a tried-and-tested 30-day money-back guarantee.
Quick Guide: How to Change the Apple App Store Country With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend using ExpressVPN as it offers a massive server network and robust security. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free since it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Connect to a server. Choose a server location that lets you access your favorite apps and services without restrictions.
- Change the App Store location. Go to your Apple ID settings and click on Country/Region to change the location. You can now freely access and install region-specific apps.
Why You Need a VPN to Change Your Apple App Store Country
While you can change your Apple App Store country without a VPN, you may run into issues installing and using certain apps. You'll most likely see a message saying: “App Not Available. This app is currently not available in your country or region.”
This is because some apps, such as those for streaming services and games, are restricted to only a select few regions. Even though you’ve changed your App Store country in the settings, Apple can still see where you’re actually located and block access to region-restricted apps accordingly. It can do this via a few ways — namely by tracing the location of your IP address or by using your device’s GPS services to see where you are located.
However, a VPN allows you to replace your real IP address with one originating from the country of your choice. By disabling the Location Services and GPS on your device in conjunction with a quality VPN, you will be able to bypass region restrictions on apps and use them freely.
Best VPNs to Change the Apple App Store Country in 2024
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Impressive speeds, ideal for streaming apps like Netflix and Spotify
|3,000 servers in 105 countries to unblock restricted services
|Military-grade encryption and Network Lock to ensure you’re always protected
|Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and more
ExpressVPN was the fastest VPN I tested for both iPhone and Mac, allowing me to download apps quickly and use them without experiencing lag or slowdowns. My average speed hovered at an impressive 79.3Mbps, allowing me to stream in 4k via the Hulu app without interruptions. It’s available on both macOS and iOS.
It also offers 3,000+ reliable servers spread across 105 countries for changing your App Store location. This allows you to easily access apps and services unavailable in your region. During my ExpressVPN tests, I quickly obtained a US IP address and downloaded a Pandora app. I never experienced any connection issues, even when connecting to long-distance servers.
The service provides easy-to-use apps for all major operating systems (including iOS and macOS). I had no difficulty setting it up on my iPhone 12 and MacBook Air M1. You can download and install the app from the Apple App Store or the official VPN website.
ExpressVPN’s military-grade encryption keeps your activity on your iPhone and Mac safe from snoopers online. Additionally, it offers a kill switch (Network Lock) that automatically terminates your internet if the VPN connection drops, preventing your data from accidental exposure. ExpressVPN also offers an audited no-logs policy and TrustedServer tech (RAM-only servers) that ensures all data is inaccessible and wiped with every regular server reboot.
A slight concern is the expensive subscription plans. However, ExpressVPN offers regular discounts that can save you some money. I recommend getting the long-term plan — when I subscribed to it, I got 49% off and 3 extra months for free, for a final price of $6.67/month.
- Threat Manager. It blocks app trackers and keeps you safe from malware. This feature is available on Mac, iOS, and Linux.
- Multiple device connections. You can connect up to 8 devices simultaneously, including all newer iPhone, iPad, and Mac models.
- 24/7 live chat — ExpressVPN’s team offers round-the-clock support from anywhere. This is great if you ever get stuck and need assistance.
- 30-day money-back guarantee. Getting a refund is hassle-free if you’re not fully satisfied. I tested this process and got my money back in 3 days.
|Easy-to-use apps for changing the App Store country hassle-free
|11,683 servers in 100 countries to quickly bypass geo-blocks
|IP/DNS leak protection and a kill switch to secure your data
|Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and more
CyberGhost is a great choice for VPN beginners thanks to its user-friendly iOS and MacOS apps, which make it simple to change your App Store location. You can connect to a server with just one click and easily choose a different IP. Its iOS and MacOS apps are also quick to install and set up — I never had to mess around in the settings. This helped me get the USA TODAY app within a few minutes while traveling in Europe.
Thanks to the excellent speeds, I downloaded apps and streamed UHD content without interruptions. My average speed on the US server was 73.8Mbps. It took me only a few minutes to download large-size games and movies. Plus, you get unlimited bandwidth for browsing, streaming, and gaming with zero restrictions.
AES 256-bit encryption scrambles your network traffic to safeguard your personal data. CyberGhost’s ad blocker also stops ads/trackers and warns you of malicious sites. There’s also a dedicated kill switch and IP/DNS leak protection for added security. Like ExpressVPN, CyberGhost follows an audited no-logs policy, so your sensitive information isn’t shared even if legally requested.
The downsides? CyberGhost's monthly plan is quite expensive and has a shorter money-back guarantee. However, long-term options start at just $2.03/month and come with an extended 45-day refund period.
- Streaming-optimized servers. CyberGhost offers dedicated servers for streaming that are specifically designed and maintained to offer reliable access to popular platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and more.
- Split tunneling. It’s possible to select specific apps to be used with a VPN tunnel. This is great if you want to use the encrypted connection with the App Store but use your regular IP for browsing.
- Multiple device connections. You can connect up to 7 devices at the same time, and the VPN supports all major platforms (including iOS and macOS).
3. Private Internet Access — Huge Server Network for Reliable Access to Any App Store Country
|Tens of thousands of servers throughout the globe to easily access any App Store country
|29,650 servers in 91 countries for easy unblocking
|MACE ad blocker and AES 256-bit encryption to keep you safe online
|Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and more
PIA offers 29,650+ servers across 91 countries, ensuring reliable access to any App Store Country. You’ll always have many servers to choose from in any given country, meaning you won’t ever have to get stuck with a server experiencing connectivity issues or poor performance.
The easy-to-use applications allow you to select either AES 256-bit encryption for superior security or AES 128-bit encryption for increased speed. It is hassle-free to connect to a server and modify your App Store location on all your Apple devices.
Like CyberGhost, PIA gives you an ad-blocking tool (MACE) that protects you from malicious websites and blocks annoying pop-ups. This lets you avoid dangerous sites infected with spyware. It also offers military-grade encryption and secure VPN protocols (the set of rules that define the VPN tunnel) such as OpenVPN and WireGuard.
However, PIA was the slowest VPN of the list — I only got an average speed of 68.72Mbps on the UK server. However, this was still more than enough speed to stream in 4k on my Mac and download games on my iPad in a reasonable amount of time.
- Budget-friendly. PIA’s long-term subscriptions start at just $2.03/month. Plus, as it offers unlimited simultaneous device connections, you’ll be able to protect all your Apple devices on a single subscription.
- 30-day money-back guarantee. Getting a refund is straightforward if you’re unhappy with the VPN service. I tested it and got my money back in 5 days.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPNs for Changing the App Store Location
All of my recommended services offer you vast server networks and user-friendly interfaces to change your App Store country and access its apps painlessly. However, if you want to run your own tests, here are the things to check:
- iOS and macOS device compatibility. Check if your chosen service is compatible with the device on which you want to change the App Store country.
- Vast server network. Get a VPN with an extensive server network to connect to any location and access your favorite apps from the App Store.
- Strong security features. AES 256-bit encryption, an automatic kill switch, and a secure VPN tunneling protocol like WireGuard or OpenVPN is highly recommended. Otherwise, your connection could be left vulnerable to attack, especially if you’re using iOS or MacOS devices on insecure public WiFi networks.
- Robust privacy protection. Your VPN should have IP/DNS leak protection, to ensure Apple and online snoopers cannot see your real location. It’s also recommended to choose a VPN that has a verified no-logs policy, so your activity on iOS or MacOS is kept private.
- Fast speeds for downloading. You don’t want to get stuck with a slow VPN for downloading games and apps from the App Store. So, make sure you get a VPN that's fast enough for your online activities.
- Trustworthy money-back policy. It’s best to choose a service that offers you a straightforward refund process if you change your mind.
How to Change the App Store Country With a VPN
If you want to access apps unavailable in your country’s App Store, you’ll need to change your Apple ID region. This can be done without a VPN — but you’ll quickly find that you will be unable to download or use many apps. This is due to Apple detecting your current location and applying region restrictions.
A VPN masks your location and makes it seem like you’re browsing from a country of your choice, allowing you to bypass these blocks. This method also works for the following Apple services:
- Apple Fitness+
- Apple Music
- Apple Books
- Apple News
- Game Center
- Apple TV app
Here’s how you can change the App Store location on your Mac, iPhone/iPad, and iTunes.
Change the App Store Location on Your Mac
To change the App Store location on your Mac, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Download a VPN. I recommend using ExpressVPN because it’s the fastest and most reliable VPN for changing App Store Country. It’s also easy to use, even for beginners. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free as it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. I’d also recommend disabling any GPS or location services on your device.
Step 2: Connect to a server of your choice. Ensure you select a location that helps you access your favorite apps and services without any restrictions.
Step 3: Go to System Preferences and click on your Apple ID.
Step 4: Click the Media & Purchases tab on the left and select Manage.
Step 5: Select the Change Country or Region button and choose the country or region you want to switch to.
Step 6: Enter your payment information and billing address for the new country, or choose None if you don't want to add a payment method.
Step 7: Log in with your account again, and your App Store region will be changed.
Once you've changed your App Store location, available apps, prices, and promotions may differ based on the new country or region you've selected.
Change the App Store Location on Your iPhone and iPad
To change the App Store location on your iPhone, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Download a VPN and connect to a server in the country you’d like to switch your App Store location to. Also, disable any GPS or location services.
Step 2: Open Settings and tap on your name at the top of the screen.
Step 3: Select Media & Purchases.
Step 4: Click the View Account button from a pop-up menu.
Step 5: Select the country or region you want to switch to and tap Next.
Step 6: Enter your new payment information and billing address to change the App Store country on your device.
Step 7: After completing the process, the App Store region will be changed to the new location.
FAQs on Changing Your App Store Country With a VPN
Is it legal to change the App Store country?
Yes, changing the App Store location on your device is legal. However, this will not allow you to access region-restricted apps if your IP address doesn’t match the new location. That’s why it’s necessary to use a quality VPN to access geo-restricted apps on the App Store.
In certain countries, like China and Russia, the use of a VPN is banned or restricted, and can hence be considered illegal. We do not support any form of illegal activities, therefore, we urge you to familiarize yourself with the local laws prior to utilizing a VPN in tandem with altering your App Store's country.
Why can't I change my country on the App Store?
If you can't change your App Store region, make sure you've canceled your subscriptions and spent all existing store credit. If you’ve confirmed this and you’re still not able to change App Store country, try the following:
- Check you’re not in a Family Sharing group, as this can prevent you from changing App Store region. This can be done in the settings, under “Family Sharing”.
- Wait for any memberships, pre-orders, film rentals or Season Passes to end. You may also cancel them if you do not wish to wait for these to naturally expire.
- Ensure the payment method for the new region you are entering is valid.
- If you’re still having trouble, contact Apple support.
Remember that while a VPN is not necessary for this process, you may not be able to access certain apps on the new App Store region without one. That’s why I recommend using a quality VPN so you have complete access to all apps and services on the new App Store country.
How can I change the Apple App Store country without a credit card?
While you need to enter a valid payment method to switch Apple App store region, some countries support alternatives to credit cards. For example, the US Apple App Store supports PayPal and gift cards, which could be used to circumvent the need to directly link credit card information.
You can also create a new Apple ID account in the region of your choice without attaching payment information. All of our top VPNs for changing App Store country can let you easily achieve this by making you appear as if you’re creating an account from the desired country.
However, without a payment method, you will be unable to purchase premium apps or pay for subscription services. You can get around this by using a VPN to purchase and redeem Apple gift cards in the country of your new account
How do I keep iTunes and App Store purchases from a different country?
You should be able to download most apps, music, films, TV programmes, and books after changing your Apple App Store country. However, if any of these pieces of media are not available in your new region, they will become inaccessible. It’s recommended to download anything you believe to be region-restricted before changing App Store country.
If you didn’t do this and you’ve lost access to one of your favorite apps or other content, you can use a VPN to switch your App Store country to a location where it is available to download it once more.
How can I create a second Apple ID account for another country?
You can set up a new Apple ID account using your Apple device. Ensure you have an appropriate payment method on hand and choose the right country for your new profile. To establish a secondary Apple ID account for a different country, adhere to the following instructions:
Step 1: Sign out of your current Apple ID account on your iPhone or Mac.
Step 2: Open the Apple App Store, tap the Account icon, and choose the Create New Apple ID option. Select the new location and fill in the email address and password boxes.
Step 3: Enter a new payment method and billing address located in the new region and click Done.
It’s also possible to transfer apps and other purchases to the new account. Log in to iCloud, select Apple ID > Media & Purchases, and choose the Transfer Purchases option.
Remember that you will likely be unable to download or effectively use region-restricted apps or services on the new account unless you use a VPN to get an IP address in the associated App Store country.
Can I change the App Store region with a free VPN?
You can, but it’s not recommended. Most free VPNs only offer a very limited number of poor-performing servers, while enforcing tight data caps.
Many free VPNs do not manage to hide your real IP address either, so you won’t have access to region-restricted apps and other purchases. Some may even purposefully share your data with third parties to make a profit. Using a premium (but affordable) VPN like ExpressVPN with a trusted money-back guarantee is a far better option.
Change Your Apple App Store Country Now
Shifting to a new App Store region and freely accessing the apps within it can be a confusing process. However, if you follow this guide and use a quality VPN to change your App Store location, you shouldn’t run into any issues. So you’ll be able to install apps unavailable in your current country and access geo-blocked content while traveling.
ExpressVPN is my top choice for changing the App Store country. It offers a massive server network to quickly get a new IP address. Plus, the service has military-grade encryption and a strict no-logs policy to keep your online data safe. You can try ExpressVPN without risk, as it's backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. Getting a refund is hassle-free if you’re not entirely impressed.
To summarize, the best VPNs for changing the App Store country are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.