How to Install Kodi 17 / 18 on Firestick, Fast & Easy (2019)
Installing Kodi on your Firestick doesn’t have to be difficult. Follow our simple step-by-step instructions and you’ll have your choice of Kodi 17 (Krypton) or Kodi 18 (Leia, beta version) easily installed on your Firestick within minutes. The same steps will work on your Fire TV as well.
If you’re using a Firestick that comes with Alexa, you won’t even need to get up off the couch to complete the installation. Simply use your voice to guide your Firestick remote through the easy-to-follow steps we’ve outlined below, complete with screenshots.
Using a VPN with Kodi
A VPN will allow you to access geo-restricted content on Kodi, opening up a world of new entertainment possibilities. Yes, that means you’ll be able to access Netflix USA or BBC via their add-ons just by connecting to a VPN server in the US or the UK, respectively.
Perhaps more importantly, a VPN will keep your connection private and secure, protecting you from the risks that come with using Kodi.
Using Kodi is perfectly legal, and the official Kodi add-ons, such as ESPN or YouTube, shouldn’t get you in any trouble.
However, add-ons created by third-party developers can throw you into a legal gray area. Some of them allow you to stream pirated content – and with an unprotected connection, you never know who could be keeping tabs on your activity. You wouldn’t want to face legal trouble just for watching an episode of your favorite TV show.
Here at vpnMentor, we don’t encourage illegal activity – but we do believe in supporting your online privacy and freedom.
It’s also important to remember that third-party add-ons sometimes come with malware or spyware, and they could even leave your device vulnerable to hackers. Once you connect to a VPN, you don’t have to worry about any of that.
Our top recommended VPN for use with Kodi and a Firestick is NordVPN .
NordVPN features military-grade security features and a blazing fast connection, and it can easily bypass geoblocks and VPN blocks – meaning you can stream Netflix USA, BBC, and just about any other streaming content from around the world. This is one of the many reasons users love it.
With the 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee, you can easily test the waters and experience the benefits for yourself.
How to Install Kodi on Firestick
Here’s our step-by-step guide on how to install Kodi versions 17 (Krpyton) or 18 (Leia) on your Firestick.
The initial installation steps are the same for both versions:
1. Click on Settings from your Firestick’s homepage
2. Select My Fire TV
3. Select Developer Options
4. If Apps from Unknown Sources is turned off, select it:
5. Click Turn On.
6. At this stage, click the home icon on your Firestick remote to return to the home screen and click on the Search Icon:
7. Type in Downloader and select the first matching option.
- If your Firestick doesn’t have the Downloader App installed already, click the Downloader Icon for it to begin to download.
- Click Open to launch Downloader
- If a warning pops up, click Allow
- Click Okay on the Quick Start Guide
9. Under “Enter the URL of the website you want to load or the file you want to download” press the select button on your remote to make a keyboard appear and type in the URL: https://kodi.tv/download
Installing Kodi 17 (Krypton) on Firestick
If you’re interested in installing Kodi version 18 (Leia), click here or scroll down to the section below.
To install Kodi 17 on Firestick, follow these steps:
10. Once you’ve completed the initial steps above, the Kodi website will now appear. Scroll down the page and select the green Android Icon
11. Now you’ll see all the download options for Kodi. Depending on which version of Firestick you have, you need to choose between ARM 32-bit and ARM 64-bit. For the older versions of Firestick, choose ARM 32-bit. For the more recent version of Firestick, choose ARM 64-bit.
12. The Kodi app will now begin downloading.
13. Once downloaded, click Install at the bottom of the page.
14. That’s it, you’ve now successfully installed Kodi 17 on your firestick. You can open and the run the app from the Recent section of your homepage.
Installing Kodi 18 (Leia) on Firestick
Kodi 18 Leia is currently in beta mode. This means it is relatively unstable, and you may encounter bugs and other problems. However, if you want to watch Netflix through Kodi, version 18 is still your best bet.
To install Kodi 18 on Firestick, follow these steps:
10. Once you’ve completed the initial steps above, the Kodi website will appear. Scroll down the page to the “Older Releases” section and click the word here.
11. Under File Name, select android/
12. Under File Name, select arm/
13. Under File name, select Kodi-18.0-Leia_beta5-armeabi-v7a.apk
14. The file will now begin downloading.
15. After the file has downloaded, select Install in the window that pops up.
16. Select Open
17. You’ve now successfully installed Kodi beta version 18 on your Firestick.
The Best VPNs for Kodi
Using a VPN with Kodi will not only allow you to access geo-blocked content – it’s also critical if you want to protect yourself from ISP and government internet surveillance and the threat of malware or hackers sneaking into your device via Kodi third-party add-ons.
A VPN will mask your IP address and protect your privacy while using Kodi.
Here are the top five VPNs for Kodi:
That wasn’t so bad now, was it?
Now that you have Kodi installed, you can go wild and download some amazing add-ons to enhance your experience.
But before you begin downloading add-ons and streaming your favorite shows, make sure to download a trustworthy VPN that can protect your online privacy and allow you to browse the internet freely.
Other Articles that Might Interest You: