How To Download Private Internet Access (PIA) on Any Device In 2022
Private Internet Access is a popular choice for mobile and desktop devices, and the fact that it has more servers than even the most downloaded VPNs, might have something to do with it.
This VPN is renowned for its extensive compatibility, and installation is easy on most of the platforms you can think of. So, I created a simple guide that will help you download and install PIA up on your computer, phone, as well as router, in order to connect any WiFi-enabled devices, such as gaming consoles and smart TVs.
You can try it risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. If you later decide you don’t like it, you can ask for a full refund.
Quick Guide: How to Download and Install PIA on Any Device in 3 Easy Steps
- Download Private Internet Access. You can use its 30-day money-back guarantee to try it free.
- Complete the setup. You’ll find easy-to-use apps for most devices, but if yours is not listed, you can set PIA up on your router.
- Start browsing!
How to Download Private Internet Access (PIA) on Your Device
PIA is compatible with a large range of devices. It has native apps for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and FireSticks, and it also has browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. If you want to set it up on your gaming console, smart TV, or other WiFi-enabled devices, you can set it up on your router.
PIA is compatible with Windows 10 and 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit). It does work with Windows 7 but you will not be able to get user support on this OS as it is now considered outdated.
It’s also available for macOS 10.13 or newer (64-bit), including Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, and High Sierra. El Captitan will not work any more. If you have Linux, you’ll need Ubuntu 16.04 and newer versions, Mint 18 or newer, Arch, or Debian (64-bit and desktop only).
Follow these simples steps to download and install PIA on your desktop:
- Download PIA. You can download versions for Windows, macOS, and Linux from its website..
- Check your email. Once your payment has been processed, a welcome message will appear on your screen. This tells you to check your email for your username and password.
- Download the app. After you complete your purchase, find the installation file for your operating system and click the Download button.
- Install the client. Follow the prompts and install PIA on your device.
- Log in using your credentials. Check the email you received and enter your user name and password to login.
- Start using PIA! That’s all you need to do. Simply press the large green button to automatically connect, or click in the server tab to change location.
On mobile, Private Internet Access is available on iOS 11 and newer versions (64-bit), as well as Android 4.1 and newer.
- Get PIA. You can get the iOS and Android versions from the website. For Android, you can choose between a direct download or an APK file if you want to install it manually on an Amazon Fire device, for example.
- Check your email. An email with your personal login information will be sent to your account.
- Download the app. Simply choose it in the App Store or Google Play and install it on your device in seconds.
- Log in. Using your allocated login details, enter the username and password.
- Start using PIA! Click the green button to connect to a local server, or search the server tab for a location of your choice.
PIA is compatible with Chrome v48 and newer versions, Firefox v57, or Opera v52, and you can install it in a few easy steps.
- Download PIA. You can sign up directly on the site first. Once you have your login credentials, you’re ready to get the browser extension you want.
- Check your email. Your credentials will be sent directly to your email.
- Download the extension. Access your browser's extensions store, search for Private Internet Access, and install it.
- Log in to your account. Enter the username and password from your personal email and log in.
- Start using PIA. Find the app in your browser list, click to open the VPN client, and either click the green button for instant VPN protection, or search the server list if you want to connect to a different country.
I hooked PIA up to my router by following its online instructions. It was quick and easy to set up, and once I connected it, I could use PIA on my games consoles including Xbox, Playstation 4 and 5, and Nintendo Switch. This is extra peace of mind as PIA protects against DDoS attacks and hides my personal IP, so I know I won’t be targeted in cyberattacks.
Router connection also means you can use the VPN with your smart TV, such as Apple TV, Amazon Firestick, Roku, and Samsung TV etc. You can pretty much cover and protect every streaming and gaming device in your household this way. Here’s how to set PIA up your router:
- Get PIA. You can take advantage of its 30-day money-back guarantee to try it free.
- Find your router’s model. You should find the model on its back, along with the default gateway.
- Access PIA’s website. Visit PIA and look for the router guide in its knowledge base.
- Choose your router’s model. PIA is compatible with a large range of devices, including DD-WRT, LEDE, ASUSWRT, and psSense.
- Follow the guide. Follow the correct instructions for your router model and set it up.
- Start using PIA on your router!
Why Choose Private Internet Access?
- 29,650 servers in 84 countries
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, HBO, Crunchyroll, Hulu, Steam, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Ubuntu, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, and more
Private Internet Access has 29,650 servers in 84 countries, making it a larger network than a lot of its competitors. Having such a range of servers in different locations means you’ll rarely have to worry about congestion caused by overcrowding. I tested several locations in North America, Europe, and Asia, and found they are excellent at bypassing geoblocks. You’ll have quick access to the majority of your favorite streaming platforms, including US Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
It has great speeds so you can stream content without any lag. In my extensive tests, the speeds never dropped below 55 Mbps, and I had ping readings of less than 100 ms, even in locations that were far away from me. This means that you can stream movies in HD and game online without any interruptions or buffering.
Default security is 128-bit encryption with OpenVPN protocol, although you can quickly change it to 256-bit encryption and Wireguard for enhanced security if you choose. Wireguard is proving itself to be one of the most popular open-source connections thanks to its fast speeds, and PIA has implemented the protocol on all its clients. iOS users have IPsec, which encrypts data packets for additional security. The company lives up to its privacy-focused name, keeping a strict no logs policy. Your devices are also protected with MACE, PIA’s custom ad, malware, and tracker blocker.
On all the devices I installed it on, I found the app interfaces to be highly intuitive and easy to navigate. I tested it on mac, Android, iPhone, and Windows, along with Firefox and Chrome browsers. It installed quickly on all of my devices, and it was easy to browse and customize my settings. Each subscription comes with 10 device connections, so I managed to cover my entire household including my router and smart TV’s. When you set it up on your router, you can also use it on your game consoles, including PS4 and Xbox.
There is a fantastic $2.19/month deal on at the moment, making it great value for money. You can test it out for up to 30 days with its money-back guarantee. This is plenty of time to try it on all your devices and see if you like it. If you don’t, you can just get your money-back with its easy cancellation button in the client settings. I cancelled on day 28 and had my money back just 3 days later.
That said, before you make a decision to download PIA, I recommend checking out our in depth review. That way you can make a fully-informed decision before you purchase a plan.
FAQs on Downloading PIA
Does PIA work on Windows phones?
No, PIA doesn’t work on Windows phones. Windows 8.1 and 10 (32 or 64-bit) are only compatible on your desktop. Private Internet Access is currently only compatible with iOS 11 or newer (64-bit) and Android 5.0 or newer (only mobile devices).
Can I install PIA on Windows 7?
Yes. PIA does work on Windows 7 laptops and desktops, both 32 and 64-bit versions. However, it states on its website that it won't be able to provide you with support for Windows 7 due to security concerns.
Does Private Internet Access have a free trial?
No, PIA doesn’t have a free trial. But you can grab its 30-day money-back guarantee, which encourages first-time users to take advantage of to test the service risk-free. That way you have access to all its security and privacy features, and over 29,650 servers in 84 countries.
Start Using PIA Today!
It is quick and easy to install PIA on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. With just a few clicks you can have your devices fully protected, and take advantage of PIA’s MACE protection and Socks5 Proxy.
You can even try it risk-free for 30 days to see if you like it. The best part is that you can cancel at any time during the 30 days and get a full refund.
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.