How to Watch SonyLIV in USA or Anywhere Outside India (2023)
- Quick Guide: How to Watch SonyLIV From Anywhere in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPNs to Watch SonyLIV From Anywhere in 2023
- ExpressVPN — Best Overall, With the Fastest Speeds for Streaming SonyLIV
- CyberGhost — Plenty of IP Addresses for Streaming SonyLIV
- Private Internet Access — 10 Simultaneous Connections to Watch SonyLIV on Your Compatible Devices
- How to Watch SonyLIV on Different Devices
- FAQs on Watching SonyLIV With a VPN
- Start Watching SonyLIV Now
While visiting India last month, a friend introduced me to a show called Maharani on SonyLIV. I was instantly hooked. When I returned home, I tried watching the show online and was disappointed that I couldn’t stream it because of geo-restrictions. Luckily, I knew the best solution for accessing and streaming SonyLIV outside India — a VPN.
A VPN is an easy-to-use software that hides your actual location and makes it look like you are connected from a different location. It does this by swapping your real IP address, which shows your location, with an IP from another country.
After testing over 30 of the top VPNs in the market, I found ExpressVPN to be, by far, the best VPN for watching SonyLIV. It has lightning-fast connection speeds and reliable virtual Indian servers that can bypass geo-blocks and unblock SonyLIV with no issues. Even better, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it risk-free. If you decide it's not for you, you can get a full refund.
Quick Guide: How to Watch SonyLIV From Anywhere in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because of its super-fast speeds for streaming SonyLIV.
- Select an Indian server. I recommend connecting to the Indian server via the UK or Singapore. This way, you can get an Indian IP address and watch SonyLIV from anywhere in the world.
- Start watching SonyLIV! Just log in or sign up for an account on the SonyLIV website, and you're ready to stream your favorite shows uninterrupted.
Due to distribution rights and copyright restrictions, SonyLIV isn't accessible outside of India. When you open SonyLIV's website from anywhere else, the platform will check your IP address, and if it’s from outside of the licensed country, it will immediately block you from accessing the content.
Instead, you will see this message on your screen:
We miss you too!
Look like we are not here yet.
Sorry, our services are not available in this country. But we'll be waiting for you with all your favorites back home. See you soon.
In US Sony LIV is available on www.Sling.com/Sonyliv
To be able to watch SonyLIV from anywhere, you need to have an Indian IP. You can accomplish that with a VPN.
A reliable VPN allows you to mask your real IP address behind an Indian IP address. This makes it look like you're watching SonyLIV from within India. It does this by rerouting your online traffic through its Indian servers instead of your normal local server.
To get access to SonyLIV from outside India, you need to connect to an Indian IP server. Then open SonyLIV’s website, log in, and sit back and enjoy your favorite programs.
Not all VPNs can go around the geo-restrictions and unblock SonyLIV. But the VPNs I have listed can quickly get you an Indian IP address so you can stream SonyLIV from anywhere in the world.
Tested February 2023 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
- Lightning-fast speeds for streaming SonyLIV in HD
- 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including 2 virtual Indian servers
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- Can unblock: SonyLIV, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Kodi, BBC iPlayer, Apple TV, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Firestick, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, gaming consoles, smart TVs, and more
After testing dozens of VPNs, ExpressVPN was hands down the fastest and most reliable VPN for streaming SonyLIV. During my tests, I watched 2 full episodes of Dhadkan Zindaggi Kii and didn’t experience any buffering. I ran a quick speed test to confirm the actual speeds and on each attempt, my speeds were consistently above 20 Mbps — representing less than a 15% loss from my base speed. This was really impressive, considering the average speed loss when using a VPN is about 20%.
ExpressVPN has 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including 2 Indian servers via the UK and Singapore. A virtual server recreates the functionality of a physical server but isn't in the country. I streamed shows and live cricket on both virtual servers without any problems.
It also allows you to connect up to 5 devices simultaneously on 1 account. This is perfect if you have kids who can’t agree on a show. You can share the same VPN account and allow each to stream their preferred content on their own devices.
It’s also important to mention that ExpressVPN is the most costly of all the VPNs I tested with prices starting at $6.67/month. The monthly plan is pricier but a great option if you need the VPN for a short time. However, ExpressVPN also offers deals and discounts quite often. For instance, I was able to save a whopping 49% when buying my long-term subscription.
Additionally, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try ExpressVPN risk-free. I decided to test this guarantee to see how easily you can get back your money back. When I contacted the 24/7 live customer support to request a refund, I was told I would receive my money back within 7 business days. I received the money in my account on the 5th business day.
- 9,753 servers in 91 countries, including 25+ virtual Indian servers
- Superfast speeds for streaming
- Easy-to-use and intuitive user interface
- Can unblock: SonyLIV, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
One of the main things that caught my attention while testing CyberGhost is its large network of Indian virtual servers. A big server network ensures plenty of IP addresses, making it harder for SonyLIV to flag and block your IP while in the middle of streaming. Typically, streaming platforms use technologies that can detect when multiple people are using the same IP address (which shows that a VPN is being used.) So if a VPN doesn’t have plenty, and constantly changing IP addresses, the streaming platform catches on and blocks you from accessing its content.
I ran several speed tests on its virtual Indian servers, and on each attempt, my speeds never went below 20 Mbps (you only require about 5 Mbps to stream in HD). This was a reduction of about 15% from my base speeds and I didn't have any issues while streaming.
I was impressed by how straightforward and easy to navigate the user interface was. You can easily find and connect to a server of your choice even without any technical knowledge. After downloading this VPN, I was able to connect to a virtual Indian server and start watching SonyLIV content without much effort.
The short-term plan from CyberGhost is fairly expensive, and it comes with a shorter money-back guarantee compared to the longer plans, which is my major concern. The longer-term plans, however, start at just $2.19/month.
It comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee on the longer plans and a 14-day money-back guarantee on the monthly plan. This allows you to try CyberGhost risk-free and get a full refund if it’s not for you. To check if this is true, I decided to cancel my subscription 10 days after subscribing. I contacted the live 24/7 customer support to request a refund. I got the money back into my account in less than 6 business days.
3. Private Internet Access — 10 Simultaneous Connections to Watch SonyLIV on Your Compatible Devices
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- Impressive speeds for streaming SonyLIV
- 29,650 servers in 84 countries, including virtual servers for India
- Can unblock: SonyLIV, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Go, Showtime, Amazon Prime Video, and more
- Compatible with: macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, Roku, gaming consoles, and more
Private Internet Access (PIA) offers 10 simultaneous connections per account so you and your whole household can stream different content on SonyLIV at the same time. I like that you don't have to disconnect any of your already connected devices since it saves a lot of time. During testing, I connected my laptop and my smartphone and didn't experience any difference in performance compared to when I was just connected to 1 device.
It has 29,650 servers in 84 countries, including virtual Indian servers. I tried connecting to several of these servers and was able to quickly connect and stream Ramarao on Duty on the first attempt. Out of curiosity, I also tried unblocking Hulu and Disney+ Hotstar and was impressed by how fast this VPN worked.
PIA’s speeds were really fast, as well. When I tested the speeds while connected to different Indian virtual servers, they never dropped below 17% from my base speeds. These speeds are sufficient to stream any SonyLIV show in HD.
One of the issues I noted with this VPN is its slow customer support. When I contacted them to find out if it offers dedicated IPs, it took a while before I received any feedback. However, once I was connected, the customer support representative was very helpful and answered all my questions concisely.
PIA's lowest-priced plan costs $2.19/month. It offers monthly and yearly plans, but I recommend going for a long-term subscription, which allows you to save up to 83% as I did.
All PIA plans also come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it without risk. I tested the money-back guarantee and got my money back within 6 business days.
How to Watch SonyLIV on Different Devices
Watch SonyLIV on Laptops and Smartphones
It’s possible to watch SonyLIV on most devices and operating systems. For instance, you can watch it on your laptop and smartphone whether you have Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS operating systems.
Although the VPN native apps for different devices and operating systems might differ slightly, the process of installing a VPN on these devices to watch SonyLIV is pretty similar:
- Download and install a good VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN due to its impressively-fast connection speeds and other vital features that allow you to safely access SonyLIV from anywhere.
- Connect to an Indian virtual server. This gives you an Indian IP address so you can access SonyLIV as if you're in India.
- Log into your SonyLIV account. For your desktop or laptop, open the SonyLIV website and sign in to your account (create an account if you don’t already have one). For smartphones, open your SonyLIV app.
- Grab your popcorn, find a comfortable place on your couch and enjoy.
Watch SonyLIV on Smart TVs and Streaming Sticks
You can also watch SonyLIV on your smart TV and other devices such as Amazon Fire TV Stick, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Chromecast, and Nvidia Shield console.
Except for Fire Stick and some smart TVs, none of these devices supports native VPN apps. So you need to configure the VPN on your router. Most VPNs have guides on how to set them up on routers, which are really helpful — but here's a general guide that applies to most:
- Choose a reliable VPN that supports routers. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has the best VPN routers on the market and comes with a router app.
- Download and install the router firmware. Open your account, select your router, and click on “Download Firmware.” Once the download is complete, connect your router to the internet and install the VPN firmware on your router.
- Select an Indian server. This gives you an Indian IP address so you can access SonyLIV.
- Log in or create your account on the SonyLIV website.
- Sit back and enjoy binge-watching your favorite shows.
Also, if you prefer not to go through the process of configuring your VPN on your router, you can try a Smart DNS option. But it’s important also to mention that a Smart DNS doesn’t offer the same level of security as a VPN since it doesn’t encrypt your online data.
Note: If your VPN has a unique app for Fire Stick or certain smart TVs, the installation process is similar to smartphones and laptops.
FAQs on Watching SonyLIV With a VPN
How can I watch SonyLIV for free?
SonyLIV has a free ad-supported plan. However, you can only access a limited number of shows on the free plan. Thankfully, SonyLIV also has 3 low-cost premium plans, which give you access to a more extensive content library that includes unlimited live sports like cricket, movies, shows, and more.
But due to geo-restrictions, you can’t get any of the plans if you are outside of India. To watch the free ad-supported plan from anywhere outside of the country, you need a reliable VPN.
A VPN replaces your real IP address, which determines your location, and gives you an Indian IP to make it appear as if you are in India. This way, you can stream SonyLIV from wherever you are.
Can I watch SonyLIV in the USA, the UK, Canada, or Australia?
Due to licensing restrictions and copyright laws, SonyLIV is not available outside of India. When you try to access SonyLIV from the USA, the UK, Canada, Australia, the platform scans your IP. If it sees a non-Indian IP address, it blocks you immediately. Your IP address is a code that identifies your network and location — which is how SonyLIV knows where you’re watching from. Therefore, you need an Indian IP address to watch SonyLIV from outside India.
This is where a VPN comes in handy. When you use a VPN to connect to a virtual Indian server, your real location is masked behind an Indian IP address. SonyLIV will think you're located within the country and allow you access to its content library.
SonyLIV is also available in the USA if you get a Sling TV subscription. However, the subscription cost might be pricier than directly subscribing to SonyLIV in India.
Can I watch SonyLIV on Roku and other streaming devices?
Unfortunately, SonyLIV is not on Roku. However, you can watch it on Roku by using a screen mirroring hack. You can also watch SonyLIV on Amazon Fire TV Stick, Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Nvidia Shield consoles.
Note that if you're traveling outside of India, you won't be able to access SonyLIV on any device, unless you use a VPN. A VPN gives you an India IP so you can watch SonyLIV like you are within India.
All the VPNs I have listed are able to unblock SonyLIV, so you can stream from anywhere.
Is it possible to watch SonyLIV online without ads?
Yes, it’s possible to watch SonyLIV online without ads if you're subscribed to a premium plan. The SonyLIV free service is fully ad-supported, which means that the ads are necessary for the channel to generate revenue. The paid subscriptions also show ads, but the ads are restricted to Live Sports and TV channels.
However, due to copyright laws, all SonyLIV plans are only available within India. To watch SonyLIV on the ad-free plans from outside of India, you need a VPN.
I recommend using ExpressVPN to watch SonyLIV. It’s high-speed, has reliable virtual Indian servers, and unblocks SonyLIV with ease.
Why is my VPN not working when I try streaming SonyLIV outside India?
If your device is still showing the SonyLIV error message even after following all the steps, here are some things that could be causing the issue:
- You’re not connected to a virtual Indian server. Check whether you're connected to a virtual Indian server and try again. Also, you can restart your VPN app and try switching to a different virtual Indian server.
- Your VPN may be leaking your actual IP address. Check whether your IP leak protection on your VPN is enabled.
- Your cookies may be snitching on your real IP address. Clear your cookies and cache, and try again.
- Your VPN is not strong enough to bypass SonyLIV’s geo-blocks and VPN blocks.
If you try the above solutions and you’re still unable to stream SonyLIV, contact your VPN’s customer support for help. Luckily, all the VPNs I tested easily unblocked SonyLIV.
Can I use a free VPN to watch SonyLIV?
No, I wouldn’t recommend using free VPNs to stream SonyLIV. Most of them are limited, unreliable, and sometimes unsafe.
For instance, most free VPNs don’t have many servers, especially in countries like India. Even for the few that do have Indian servers, they might be overcrowded, significantly affecting your connection speeds. Slow connection speeds will affect your streaming quality, and you will not be able to enjoy your favorite shows without interruptions.
Also, remember that a free VPN does not guarantee your privacy and security. Some free VPNs can even harvest and sell your data to third parties in exchange for the free service. Additionally, using free VPNs can put you at risk of infecting your device with malware.
Instead, I recommend using a premium service like ExpressVPN to watch SonyLIV when traveling abroad. It’s safe and reliable. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out with no risks.
Start Watching SonyLIV Now
Due to copyright laws and licensing agreements, SonyLIV's content is geo-restricted and only people within India can watch it. You can’t access your favorite shows while traveling outside the country unless you have a reliable VPN.
After testing dozens of top-tier VPNs, ExpressVPN proved to be the fastest and most reliable for watching SonyLIV. I could stream in HD using its virtual Indian servers and never experienced any disconnections. It also comes with a money-back guarantee, so you can try it out risk-free for 30 days. If you're not completely satisfied, you can get a full refund.
To summarize, the best VPNs for watching SonyLIV are...
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.