How to Stream Swedish TV Online in 2024: Secure & Easy
- Quick Guide: How to Watch Swedish TV With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPNs for Watching Swedish TV Online in 2024
- ExpressVPN — The Most Reliable VPN for Safely Watching Swedish TV
- CyberGhost — Streaming-Optimized Servers for Watching Swedish TV Lag-Free
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Stream Swedish TV in HD on All Your Devices
- NordVPN — The Fastest VPN for Watching Swedish TV in Good Quality
- Surfshark — Easy-to-Use VPN to Start Watching Swedish TV in Minutes
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Watching Swedish TV
- Where Can I Watch Swedish TV Online?
- FAQs on Watching Swedish TV With a VPN
- Watch Swedish TV in HD in Minutes
The majority of Swedish TV shows and movies are only available in Sweden. Streaming platforms detect your location by checking your IP address, and you’ll only be able to watch the content licensed in your location. This means that unless your favorite Swedish content is licensed abroad, it’s only available within the country.
A VPN can grant you a Swedish IP, which could hypothetically let you watch Swedish TV from abroad. But, this violates most platforms’ terms of service and may amount to copyright infringement. The team and I don’t condone or recommend this.
While in Sweden, I tested 25 VPNs and shortlisted the best ones for securely watching Swedish TV. My top recommendation is ExpressVPN. It has fast speeds for HD streaming, and it works with all the major Swedish TV platforms reliably. You can try it out risk-free as it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Quick Guide: How to Watch Swedish TV With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it was the most reliable VPN for Swedish TV in my tests, and it was fast enough to watch in HD. Plus, you can try ExpressVPN without risk for 30 days.
- If you are in Sweden, connect to a local server. You’ll get the best speeds from the servers closest to you.
- Start streaming. Open up your favorite streaming platform (like SVT), and enjoy your favorite Swedish shows.
Best VPNs for Watching Swedish TV Online in 2024
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Consistently works with more Swedish TV sites than any of the other VPNs I tried
|3,000 servers in 105 countries, including 2 Swedish locations for fast local speeds
|SVT, TV4, TV2, HBO Max SE, Viaplay, Kanal 5, TBN Nordic, and more
|Windows, macOS, Linux, Chromebook, Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Android TV, routers, and more
ExpressVPN makes it easy to watch your favorite Swedish TV sites in HD. Unlike many of the other VPNs I tried, it worked right away — I didn’t have to try several local servers to find one that worked. When you click on “Sweden” in the server menu, it automatically connects you to the fastest server nearest to your location in the country.
Its Lightway protocol gave me the best speeds for watching Swedish TV shows. It’s faster than traditional VPN protocols because it uses fewer lines of code. From Sweden, I was able to confirm its fast speeds during my tests — my average was 106.09Mbps (only a 6% drop compared to my usual speed). It was more than enough for watching The Bridge in HD, for which you only need 5Mbps.
ExpressVPN is very user-friendly. It took me only a few seconds to find a nearby Swedish server to connect to. I also really like that you can add streaming apps and sites to your shortcuts menu for quick connections. I added the SVT app to this list, and it only took one click to start streaming safely, rather than having to close the VPN, search for the app, and wait for it to load.
Its long-term plans start at $6.67/month, and all of them come with a money-back guarantee. This means you can try ExpressVPN for 30 days without any risk. If you’re not completely satisfied, it’s easy to get a refund.
- 8 simultaneous connections. You can use ExpressVPN on the majority of your devices without having to worry about logging in and out each time.
- Split tunneling. This feature lets you choose which traffic should go through the VPN, allowing you to optimize your connection and increase your streaming speeds.
- Browser extensions. You can watch Swedish TV in HD directly in a web browser, thanks to ExpressVPN’s extensions that secure your connection without having to open the full VPN app.
- Streaming guides. ExpressVPN offers easy-to-follow and detailed instructions on how to watch Swedish streaming platforms from within the country. This makes it the ideal choice for beginners.
|Servers optimized for streaming Swedish TV with no buffering from within the country
|100+ servers in Sweden, so you have plenty to choose from no matter where you are in the country
|C More Sweden, HBO Max SE, Netflix SE, YouTube SE, TV4Play, and more
|Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Android TV, some routers, and more
CyberGhost’s streaming-optimized servers consistently work with Swedish TV. They’re regularly tested to confirm their IP addresses work with specific platforms. If there’s a problem, CyberGhost replaces the IPs that don’t work. These servers are in a special For streaming menu in the app, so they’re super easy to find. Each server worked flawlessly in my tests from Sweden.
I really liked the unique App rules feature. This lets you set CyberGhost to automatically connect to an optimized local Swedish server when you open the streaming app. For instance, while visiting Sweden, I used it to automatically connect me to a nearby server when I opened the SVT app. This makes CyberGhost one of the most user-friendly VPN apps I’ve tried.
It also offers excellent speeds for streaming in HD. While I was watching Netflix SE in Sweden, my speeds only dropped by 6%. If your normal connection is a little slow, there’s an option to change your MTU packet size tucked away in the settings menu. Setting it to "small" will improve the performance.
I was a little disappointed to see that its monthly plan offers a shorter refund period than most VPNs (14 days). However, CyberGhost gives you 45 days to try it out for free on its long-term plans — longer than any other VPN on my list. I tested it out by contacting customer support to see if it’s legit. I got my money back within 3 days.
- Connect up to 7 devices at once. I found this really useful for sharing with my family, as we could all stream our favorite TV shows safely at the same time.
- Router compatibility. If you want to stream in HD on a device that doesn’t usually allow VPNs, like your smart TV, you can set CyberGhost up on your router instead. This will cover all the gadgets using your WiFi network.
- WiFi protection. If you’re planning on watching Swedish shows on public WiFi, this setting ensures the VPN automatically connects first. This let me relax with my favorite shows in a café in Jönköping, safe in the knowledge that my data was protected.
- Simple apps. CyberGhost requires very little setup, so it’s great if you’re a beginner. Its menus are also well organized, so it’s easy to find all the settings and servers you need.
|Unlimited simultaneous connections, so everyone in your household can stream Swedish TV without interrupting anyone else
|2 locations in Sweden; one is optimized for streaming — all offer HD-friendly speeds
|Netflix SE, C More, tv4play, YouTube SE, HBO Nordic and more
|Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Android TV, some routers, and more
PIA supports unlimited simultaneous device connections, which is a great option for larger households in Sweden. During my tests from Jönköping, I expected it to slow down when 4 of us started streaming at once, but it didn’t. Even with so many devices connected, PIA performed really well.
I was able to watch the majority of popular Swedish channels easily while visiting friends in Sweden. There were some smaller sites that it didn’t work with, but I was happy with what I got. I checked both its streaming-optimized and its regular Swedish servers, and the optimized one worked more reliably. Although it’s a little slower than ExpressVPN and CyberGhost, PIA was still fast enough for HD streaming in my tests, resulting in a minimal 9% drop.
The only small drawback is that it offers a lot of customization options, which might make PIA seem a bit complicated if you’re a VPN beginner. However, its apps come pre-configured, so you don’t have to change anything for streaming.
The good news is that it has a money-back guarantee, which means you can try PIA out for free for 30 days. It’s really easy to get a refund if you’re not happy.
- Tons of options to improve performance. You can choose a lower level of encryption and adjust your MTU packet size to improve your speed if your connection is normally slow. This gives you the best speeds for watching Swedish TV in HD from within the country.
- 24/7 live chat support. If I had a question about the best settings for watching local Swedish TV, PIA’s live chat support was always there to help.
- Quick setup. Even though PIA’s app gives you a lot of options, it’s ready to go as soon as you log in. I was able to connect to a server and start streaming in Sweden under 5 minutes.
|Consistently fast speeds to stream without buffering
|Reliable Swedish servers with hundreds of IPs for streaming from within the country
|Netflix SE, C More, YouTube SE, and more
|Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Chrome, Firefox, Fire Stick, Android TV, some routers, and more
NordVPN was about 1% faster than the other services I tried. It’s not a big difference to notice on fast connections, but I was still impressed. Every little bit counts if your base internet connection is quite slow. I used the NordLynx protocol during my tests, which was faster than more traditional protocols. This meant I was able to watch A Compassionate Spy from Sweden in the best quality possible.
If you’re traveling through Sweden, you can use NordVPN’s Meshnet feature to remotely connect to your device at home and use its connection for safe streaming. During my tests, I connected to my friend’s desktop in Jönköping while we visited Gothenburg for the day. I was able to stream Netflix SE in HD with no issues.
Although the VPN itself let me watch all the major channels reliably while in Sweden, it didn't work as well with some of the smaller sites. However, I never found myself short of shows to watch.
Like the other VPNs on my list, NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out for free. Because it has 24/7 customer support, it’s easy to arrange a refund if you want to try another VPN instead.
- Auto-connect. Once enabled, your VPN will automatically connect you to the fastest local server. So, you don’t need to spend tons of time searching for a server with the best available speeds.
- IP leak protection. NordVPN automatically prevents your device from accidentally leaking your real IP, which may leave you vulnerable to snoops and hackers.
|Simple apps make it a great choice for streaming Swedish TV if you’re new to VPNs
|Multiple servers in Sweden with lots of IPs, so you’re bound to find a speedy local connection
|Netflix SE, C More, YouTube SE, and more
|Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, some web browsers, and more
Surfshark’s apps are really well-designed. I was impressed to find that everything you need is on the main screen. Unlike most VPNs I tried, you don’t need to open any extra menus or change any settings, so you can start watching Swedish TV from within the country right away. It’s pre-configured to give you the best connection by default, but there’s some room for customization.
Surfshark was consistently fast in my tests. Although NordVPN fared a little better, this VPN only reduced my speed by around 7% on local servers. When I was in Sweden, I was able to watch En Helt Vanlig Dag in HD without buffering.
There’s also a built-in speed test, but it’s not convenient — it takes longer to get results than if you tested the server yourself with a third-party service. However, every time I used the Fastest location option, I never noticed any significant speed drops.
There’s absolutely no risk in giving Surfshark a try. It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, giving you enough time to evaluate its service without financial commitment.
- Quick Connect. You can assign a server in Sweden to Surfshark’s Quick Connect option to easily connect to it anytime you need it.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Watching Swedish TV
After lots of research and testing, I have come up with the following criteria to help you choose the best VPN for watching Swedish TV.
- Works with Swedish TV platforms. Look for VPNs that specifically mention they work with popular Swedish platforms like SVT Play, TV4, and Viaplay on their sites. While in Sweden, I tried each of the above VPNs to confirm they work with local TV services.
- Fast speeds. This is crucial for streaming in high quality without buffering. Look for VPNs that offer unlimited bandwidth and fast protocols, like Lightway (ExpressVPN’s proprietary protocol) and WireGuard.
- Device compatibility. You need a VPN that has apps for the devices you want to stream on. If your device isn’t compatible with a VPN, check to see if your router is. Installing a VPN on your router means that all the gadgets on your WiFi network will be protected.
- Excellent customer support. In case you run into issues, responsive customer support is invaluable. I gauged this by reaching out to the customer support teams of various VPNs to evaluate their responsiveness and expertise.
- Money-back guarantee. This allows you to test the VPN's capabilities without risking a lot of money. During my research, I specifically looked for VPNs that gave you an option to try out their services risk-free.
Where Can I Watch Swedish TV Online?
Swedish streaming platforms like SVT, TV2, or Netflix Sweden are generally only available to viewers in Sweden. That’s because the shows they offer are only licensed for broadcast in the country. Some services share some shows internationally, but the whole libraries are only available in the country.
These platforms check your IP address to determine your location. If you try to watch them from outside of Sweden, you’ll see an error message. Here’s an example of one that pops up on SVT:
Programmet kan bara ses i Sverige
(The program can only be seen in Sweden)
FAQs on Watching Swedish TV With a VPN
What Swedish TV channels can I watch with a VPN?
You can watch all of the most popular Swedish streaming sites with a reliable VPN. But make sure you’re in Sweden and connected to a server in the country in order not to break the platforms’ T&Cs and copyright laws.
With the services I tested from within Sweden, I was able to watch SVT Play, TV4, Kanal 5, TV3, Viaplay, Netflix SE, C More, UR Play, HBO Max Nordic, Disney+ SE, and a few others. The issue is that you need a good VPN, as many VPNs won’t work reliably. All of the VPNs on my list work well with Swedish TV channels.
Will a VPN impact my internet speeds while streaming Swedish TV?
Yes, using a VPN can slightly reduce your internet speeds due to the encryption process. Some VPNs cause a 40–50% speed loss, but the services I shortlisted only reduced my speed by around 5–10% on local Swedish servers. This was not a noticeable difference.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Swedish TV?
While in Sweden, I tried several free VPNs and wasn’t able to find one that worked with Swedish TV channels. Even if there are some that work, free VPNs often have limitations, such as bandwidth caps, fewer servers, and slower speeds. I recommend using one of the premium VPNs I recommended instead, as I’ve tested them to ensure that they work. Plus, they all have money-back guarantees, so you can try them risk-free.
Can I use a VPN to watch Swedish TV on Amazon Fire TV Stick, Roku, and other streaming devices?
Yes, you can use a VPN to watch Swedish TV on most streaming devices, including Fire TV Sticks and Roku. The VPNs I tested have native apps for Fire TV Stick. For other devices that don’t support VPNs, like Roku, you can set up the VPN on your router.
Watch Swedish TV in HD in Minutes
For the most part, you can only watch Swedish TV in the country. While, in theory, you could use a VPN to get a Swedish IP and watch it from abroad, please remember that this action goes against most platforms' T&Cs and could be considered copyright infringement. vpnMentor does not encourage breaking any rules.
If you’re in Sweden, ExpressVPN is my top choice for safely watching Swedish TV in HD. It’s reliable, has tons of Swedish servers, and it’s easy to use. Plus, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee. This means you can try ExpressVPN out with your favorite Swedish TV sites without any risk.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for watching Swedish TV…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.