5 Best VPNs Working With Apple TV 2020 | Which Is Best For You
The VPNs below are all great choices if you are looking for the best VPN for your Apple TV Share
A VPN is the best way to get the most out of your Apple TV. With a high-quality service, you can bypass geoblocks and censorship to unlock streaming services from all over the world.
Connecting your Apple TV to a VPN isn’t an easy task. It doesn’t come with built-in VPN support, so you can’t just download an app and get started. Thankfully, we know a few workarounds to fix this!
To get started, you’ll need a reliable VPN service with outstanding customer support and a clear Apple TV installation guide. The service you choose will also need high-speed servers, top-notch security, and the ability to bypass geoblocks.
The VPNs we recommend below work flawlessly with Apple TV.
Quick Guide: The Best VPNs for Apple TV
- ExpressVPN:The fastest VPN on the market offers hassle-free setup for your Apple TV.
- NordVPN:Enjoy top security and zero buffering with NordVPN’s high-bandwidth servers.
- CyberGhost:You can’t go wrong with fast servers, quick installation, and great customer support.
- VyprVPN:VyprVPN’s proprietary plugin boosts your router’s power and features while you stream.
- HMA VPN:High-speed HMA offers some of the toughest security features available.
The Best VPNs for Apple TV
- Fastest VPN on the market
- Hassle-free setup with pre-flashed routers available
- MediaStreamer DNS feature — unblock Apple TV in just a few minutes!
- Get quality assistance on live chat at any time
In most cases, you can make a VPN work with Apple TV by configuring a router. This is by far the most dependable method, and pretty much any VPN that’s compatible with media consoles will offer router setups.
What makes ExpressVPN stand out is that it sells pre-configured routers, thus sparing you from the arduous process of setting everything up yourself. If you prefer a more hands-on approach, there are great manual setup guides available for a wide array of devices — just make sure yours is compatible.
For an even easier time, you can go for the MediaStreamer DNS route. In other words, ExpressVPN gives you DNS settings to use with your Apple TV, effectively providing a proxy service at no additional cost. While setup is much easier, keep in mind you won’t be able to benefit from ExpressVPN’s top-grade encryption with this method.
Aside from the excellent options at your disposal, you also get over 1,500 servers, unsurpassed speeds, and competent 24/7 assistance via live chat. This amazing bundle, in addition to the handy 30-day refund period, makes ExpressVPN our top recommendation for your Apple TV needs. Not convinced? Read why so many customers love ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
- Fast and resourceful — over 3,500 servers and great speeds
- Offers VPN-enabled routers or manual guides, but no dedicated app
- Easy to set up
- World-class customer support
If you’re looking to watch your favorite streaming services on the go without any nasty regional restrictions, NordVPN is another solid choice.
Like with ExpressVPN, you can get a pre-flashed router straight from Nord’s website. Should you want a more involved setup experience, you can use the informative guides to configure everything by yourself — assuming your router supports DD-WRT/Tomato.
The downside is NordVPN doesn’t have any console-specific features or apps, so you’ll have to arm yourself with patience and follow the instructions carefully. Trust us when we say it looks harder than it actually is; plus, if you reach a dead end, you can count on the superb customer support to guide you through on live chat — anywhere, anytime.
In the end, the time spent will definitely be worth it. You’ll be binging away in full privacy and with zero buffering, thanks to NordVPN’s stellar high-bandwidth servers. It’s no wonder NordVPN has so many fans. Oh, and don’t forget about the 30-day money-back guarantee — even if you decide against the VPN, you won’t be losing any money.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
- Easy router setup thanks to no-fuss guides
- Configure manually or get a pre-flashed device and save time
- Great balance of speed, features, and price
- Live chat available
CyberGhost is one of our all-around favorites for robust, affordable VPN protection. It will happily assist you with more specific requests, too — like watching Apple TV without any restrictions.
Setting up CyberGhost to work in unison with your router is a breeze, thanks to straightforward guides and visual aids. As for performance, you won’t have to worry about sluggish speeds or sudden drops. This VPN is both quick and reliable, with a global network of 5,700+ servers to boot.
If you’d rather skip the manual DD-WRT/Tomato setup, CyberGhost also comes on pre-flashed routers where the only requirement is entering your login info. Buying straight from the provider isn’t an option, however, so make sure the third-party vendor is legitimate before purchasing.
All in all, CyberGhost is a great VPN for Apple TV — the winning combination of fast servers, helpful guides, and excellent support (live chat included) makes this Romania-based provider one you should definitely consider. Oh, and did we mention you have a whole month to test CyberGhost out and get refunded? For more information on what actual customers have to say about CyberGhost, click here.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
- Native plugin adds extra features to your router (Tomato MIPS/ARM required)
- Crystal-clear router setup guides
- No firmware? No problem — connect via hotspot!
- No refunds
Namely, VyprVPN offers a proprietary “Router App”, which is compatible with the Tomato MIPS/ARM framework and works akin to a plugin that adds a little extra “oomph” to your native router settings.
The app makes VyprVPN configuration on your router a breeze, in addition to including handy features like per-device VPN and on-demand server selection. If your router doesn’t have the necessary firmware for the app, worry not — installing VyprVPN the old-fashioned way is very much possible (DD-WRT or Tomato router required).
Last but not least, you can always share your VPN-protected connection from your Mac to Apple TV — your connection speed might take a bigger hit, though.
Whatever your choice, Vypr has posted exhaustive setup guides for a guaranteed smooth process. More personal assistance is also an option thanks to the responsive, knowledgeable customer support — rest assured you’ll have your device equipped with solid protection and Chameleon encryption in no time.
The only real downside to VyprVPN is the no-refunds policy. This, combined with the lack of short-term subscriptions and the hefty price tag, may be a turn-off for some — but the performance is more than worth it. If you’re still not sure, check out these customer reviews.
5. HMA VPN
- VPN Router method available
- Comprehensive guides and live chat
- Relatively cheap
- 7-day free trial AND 30-day money-back guarantee
HMA VPN is a reliable VPN that protects your connection with some of the toughest security features available. It operates 950+ servers across 280+ global locations. This means you’ll never run out of new streaming services to watch.
HMA offers high-speed streaming and anonymous browsing on up to five devices at the same time. Although you’ll need a VPN router to connect your Apple TV, there are easy-to-use apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux.
You can even get a discount on a new Apple TV device when you purchase one of HMA’s branded VPN routers. You can test HMA out for yourself with its 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee to see why its users love it.
Get the Most out of Apple TV with a VPN
It takes some homework, maybe some trial-and-error — but in the end, you can enjoy Apple TV in its full, geoblock-free glory thanks to a VPN. We recommend the router setup — not only will it open the gates to unlimited content, it will protect every single one of your connected devices as well.
Did you find this article useful? Help spread the good word by sharing it on social media! We appreciate it.
Get VPN protection straight from the source — click here to check out the best VPNs for routers!