3 Best VPNs for Australia in (2021) – Most Secure and Private!
- 3 Best VPNs for Australia — Full Analysis (Updated 2021)
- ExpressVPN – Super-Fast Speeds for Streaming Stan & Netflix US Without Buffering
- CyberGhost VPN — Large Network of Australian Servers In Sydney & Melbourne
- Private Internet Access — Great Privacy Features to Safeguard Your Anonymity
- Quick Guide: How To Use a VPN in Australia
- Research Methodology: How I Picked These VPNs
- FAQ on VPNs For Australia
- The Bottom Line
It might feel impossible to find the best VPN for Australia to protect your data from the intelligence-sharing agreement of the 5-Eyes Alliance. You want a VPN that provides robust security and complete anonymity without losing speed. Additionally, it should have servers worldwide, including Australia, so you can access international websites and enjoy local streaming services like Stan and Kayo Sports.
I tried over 80 different VPNs and found the best 3 for privacy and security — your location and online activities will never be revealed. All the VPNs on my list have a strict no-logs policy, AES 256-bit encryption, and can provide you with an Australian IP address.
ExpressVPN is my top choice as it operates outside the 5/9/14 Eyes alliance jurisdiction, does not keep logs, and can consistently break through the toughest geo-restrictions while remaining fast and secure. You can try it risk-free (it’s backed by a money-back guarantee).
- ExpressVPN — Strong encryptions and a global network of really fast servers, including in 4 locations throughout Australia, to safely stream local and international content from anywhere.
- CyberGhost VPN — Many servers in Australia to quickly get an Australian IP address, but the desktop interface could be more user-friendly.
- Private Internet Access — Kill switch and zero-logs policy hides your real location and online activities but doesn’t consistently unblock Netflix US.
3 Best VPNs for Australia — Full Analysis (Updated 2021)
After many hours testing VPNs, I’ve compiled a list of the top 3 VPNs for Australia based on its ability to break through geoblocks, keep your information private and provide reliably fast speeds. I even tested each provider’s money-back guarantee.
- Server location and speed: 160 servers in Australia, plus 3,000 servers in 90 countries. Super-fast speeds
- Strong security: AES 256-bit encryption and perfect forward secrecy
- Torrenting profile: Supports torrenting on all 3,000 servers
- Unique feature: Smart location picks the best server to increase download speed
- Unblocks local & global streaming: Netflix (AU & US), Stan, Disney+, Kayo Sports, Amazon Prime Video, 7Plus, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, iOs, Linux, Mac, iPhone, and more
ExpressVPN has 160 servers in Australia, including Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Perth. So, you can easily stream your favorite channels, like Kayo Sport and 7Plus while traveling. Although, we confirmed with customer support, and BINGE is currently unavailable. It can effectively break through geoblocks, so you can access international content like Disney+, and Amazon Prime. It’s even powerful enough to get past the Great Firewall Wall of China.
With its reputation of blazing-fast speeds, I decided to test it out for myself — I wasn’t disappointed! After connecting to a US server, my overall speed decreased by only 27%, which isn’t even noticeable. You can stream Disney+ in HD without issues.
Using ExpressVPN’s Smart Location feature, you’ll always get connected to the fastest server available. I tried it by connecting to a P2P UK server, and my download speeds didn’t drop below 51 Mbps once, which is incredibly fast.
The VPN comes with the best encryption available that is virtually impossible to crack. Additionally, its perfect forward secrecy function changes the encryption key each time you log on or every 60 minutes if you’re connected for longer periods. This prevents anyone from intercepting your browsing history.
Also, its built-in kill switch quickly disconnects you from the internet should your connection be severed. So, your IP address and data will remain hidden while streaming and torrenting.
With 5 device connections, you can watch Netflix on your Smart TV, keep an eye on the rugby with your phone, torrent with using your computer and still share your license with a friend. I connected all my Apple gadgets at the same time and it worked perfectly.
You can try out ExpressVPN risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. Wanting to see it for myself, I contacted the online support chat before my 30 days were up, and I received my full refund without any issues.
- Server location and speed: 242 servers in Australia, including 6,800 more in 90 countries
- Strong security: AES 256-bit encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Torrenting profile: Specific servers optimized for downloads and uploads
- Unique feature: Kill switch and leak protection
- Unblocks local & global streaming: Netflix (AU & US), Stan, Disney+, Kayo Sports, Amazon Prime Video, 7Plus, BINGE, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, and macOS
CyberGhost has many servers in Sydney and Melbourne, so you can stream Stan and BINGE from anywhere. Also, with 6,800 servers in 90 countries, international content like Disney+ and Netflix US is easy to access.
I tested the VPN’s speed and was happy to find it pretty reliable, even when connecting to servers far away. I only experienced a 35% drop in my average download speed when connecting to a US server. With such a small reduction, you can upload and download large files quickly.
CyberGhost comes with specialized torrenting servers built for high-speed P2P sharing. I tried the servers in Germany, Mexico, and the US, and I could download files quickly. You can easily find and connect to these servers using the app.
Based in Romania, outside the 5/9/14-Eyes alliances, your identity and data will not be shared. On top of that, its AES-256 bit encryption and strict no-logs policy ensure your browsing activities won’t get monitored, so there’s no risk of your internet traffic falling into your ISP’s hands. CyberGhost also has an automatic kill switch and leak-proof apps, which protects you against any exposure.
You can connect up to 7 devices connected simultaneously. You can share your subscription with friends and family so they can also surf anonymously and block government surveillance.
Explore CyberGhost for yourself using it 45-day money-back guarantee. I requested my refund after two weeks and received my money back within 7 business days.
- Server location and speed: Over a thousand servers in Australia and 35,550 more across 77 countries
- Strong security: AES-256 encryption with multiple protocols
- Torrenting profile: Thousands of servers dedicated to torrenting
- Unique feature: MACE for protection against malware
- Unblocks local & global streaming: Netflix (some regions), Stan, Disney+, Kayo Sports, Amazon Prime Video, 7Plus, BINGE, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, Linus, iOS, and Mac
Private Internet Access (PIA) has 1,535 servers in Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth, but it is not limited to local use. With its impressive global network of servers in 77 countries, PIA has some success in unblocking streaming services from around the world. I could access Netflix UK, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video with no problems.
Streaming is smooth and buffer-free. I tried with each close-by server (in AU and NZ), and regularly achieved way over the 5 Mbps required for HD streaming. However, while testing the VPN’s speed, I found it a little inconsistent when connecting to servers farther away. My speed dropped by 63% when I connected to a US server, which is still pretty fast.
PIA is packed full of top-shelf security features to safeguard your sensitive information and anonymity. This makes it a great choice for the privacy-conscious in Australia and beyond. Its strict no-logs policy and multiple encryption protocols guarantee that your internet activity is untraceable and your identity protected whether you’re torrenting, streaming, or browsing.
Further protection comes from PIA’s MACE feature — a built-in malware, adware, and tracker blocker. MACE worked great when I tested it on some ad-heavy torrenting sites.
Connect up to 10 devices with a single subscription. PIA is compatible with a wide range of devices, so your whole household can test all it has to offer.
If you want to know more, try it risk-free using its 30-day money-back guarantee. After contacting their 24/7 available support to request my refund — they promptly dealt with it, and I received my money within 10 days.
Quick Guide: How To Use a VPN in Australia
- Select a VPN with servers in Australia and the countries where there’s content you want to access. I prefer ExpressVPN for its worldwide coverage.
- Install your VPN and connect to a relevant server, such as a US server for US Netflix.
- That’s it —you’re ready to go!
Research Methodology: How I Picked These VPNs
I installed each VPN on my laptop and tested it periodically over a month in various ways. This included streaming Netflix and Stan, torrenting, online gaming, using Australia-only content abroad, and doing local field tests. I made sure that the best VPNs for Australia I recommend have servers all over the country. That way, you can always connect to a quick, nearby server instead of sending your data across the country.
- Security: All the VPNs on this list are secure and anonymous. I looked into their privacy policies and security features to confirm that you can use them without the Australian government knowing your activity.
- Privacy: With Australia being part of the 5-eyes alliance, your privacy is more important than ever. Every VPN on my list comes equipped with strong encryption, kill switch, and zero-logs policy, and passed all my DNS leak tests.
- Geounblocking and speed: I checked to make sure that each VPN can bypass geo-restrictions and VPN blocks. I only included VPNs that are fast enough to stream and download large files.
- Torrenting profile: I also confirmed that each VPN on my list provides P2P-optimized servers so you can torrent safely.
- Multiple device connections: Connecting with more than one device allows you to share your subscription with family and friends — all 3 VPNs offer several simultaneous connections on various gadgets.
- Money-back guarantee: Testing a VPN’s features before committing is crucial. Each VPN on my list comes with a tried and tested money-back guarantee.
FAQ on VPNs For Australia
Is it legal to use a VPN in Australia?
Yes. There are no restrictions on VPN use in Australia.
Can I use a VPN to protect myself from Australia’s data retention laws?
Yes, a VPN is the best way to prevent your ISP from tracking you. It encrypts your internet traffic, hiding your real IP address, so Australian law enforcement agencies and their intelligence body can’t access your private information. Go for a secure and reliable VPN that provides complete anonymity by having a strict no-logs policy, AES 256-bit encryption, and DNS leak protection. Also, choose a VPN located in a country that rejected the EU data retention directive, like ExpressVPN, based in the British Virgin Islands.
Which VPN is best for watching Australian content?
With the most servers in Australia, PIA is the best VPN for streaming local content, like Stan, BINGE, and Kayo Sport. It also has an extensive network of worldwide servers for bypassing geo-restrictions.
Can I use a free VPN in Australia?
Yes, but it’s not a good idea. Free VPNs usually don’t have servers in Australia, so they are slower, and you’re likely to experience connection issues to local sites, for example, when banking or streaming Stan. Contrary to the name, free VPNs still need to make money someway — many sell your data to third party advertisers or limit features (no servers in Australia), so you’re forced to upgrade. You end up paying more than if you went with a paid version. This is why I recommend ExpressVPN with its 30-day guarantee. You can test all its features risk-free.
Is torrenting in Australia illegal?
It’s illegal if you use torrenting to download or share copyrighted material. Australia’s Copyright Amendment (Online Infringement) Bill 2018 enables copyright owners to take civil action against ISPs to prevent customers from illegally downloading their content, resulting in specific sites being blocked from Australian ISPs.
However, you can use a VPN to get an IP address from another country to bypass these restrictions. We’ve researched for you and found the 10 best VPNs for safe torrenting in Australia and beyond.
What VPN should I choose for torrenting in Australia?
If you’re a fan of torrenting, then any of the 3 VPNs on my list is a great option. You’ll have access to P2P optimized servers protected by the strongest encryption available for a secure and anonymous torrenting experience.
The Bottom Line
The best VPN for Australia should have top-level security features, super-fast connections, and many local and international servers. All the VPNs on my list let you bypass geo-restrictions and keeps your browsing activity out of the government’s hands.
ExpressVPN is my top recommendation for Australia. It operates military-grade encryption software, with high speed servers in OZ and 90 countries worldwide.
To summarize, here are the best VPNs for Australia
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.