6 Best BBC iPlayer VPNs To Watch Abroad Online (Only Those Work)
If you’re reading this, there are two possible scenarios: you’re looking for a reliable way of unblocking the popular BBC iPlayer abroad, or your current method no longer gets the job done.
Either way, we can help you out — between the BBC’s tighter control on VPNs and proxies and the various features required to bypass the block, it can be hard to find a dependable provider.
Well, your search might just be over.
We tested the best-performing VPNs on the scene and came up with the conclusive list of VPN powerhouses that will grant you smooth access to BBC iPlayer — and many other services (like Netflix) — no matter where you are. We’ll also tell you which VPNs to stay away from – VPNs that just don’t work with BBC iPlayer.
Take a look at our top 6 VPN picks for BBC iPlayer below.
VPNs that Work with BBC iPlayer
- NordVPN has more than 700 servers in the UK, making it our #1 recommendation
- ExpressVPN boasts lightning-fast speeds for seamless streaming
- CyberGhost offers dedicated UK servers for streaming BBC iPlayer
- Surfshark has servers in London and Manchester and a growing reputation
- Hotspot Shield offers automatic data compression for faster streaming
- VyprVPN has proprietary technology for overcoming VPN blocks
6 VPNs that Work with BBC iPlayer
- Over 700 UK servers for guaranteed access to BBC iPlayer
- Variety in features — Double VPN, Dedicated IP, Anti DDoS, and more
- Connect up to 6 devices at the same time
- Ask live chat for help at any hour
- 30-day money-back guarantee for all plans
- Users are extremely happy with how NordVPN bypasses the VPN blocks so they can watch the BBC iPlayer.
NordVPN is a provider known for its great track record with BBC iPlayer. Over 400 available UK servers make this VPN very resourceful. Recent network improvements have also drastically increased speeds (although ExpressVPN is still marginally faster).
NordVPN provides an arsenal of advanced features, too — one of them is a dedicated IP address. This is great for hassle-free content unblocking, but unfortunately doesn’t come standard, so you’ll have to pay extra.
What does come standard is professional 24/7 live support, 6 simultaneous connections (as opposed to ExpressVPN’s 3), and a no-buts money-back guarantee for 30 days. Coupled with a strict no-logging policy and amazing encryption, this makes NordVPN a fast, secure, and reliable sidekick for streaming any geoblocked content — including BBC iPlayer.
Want to get NordVPN for an amazing price? Click here for coupons!
- Test after test found it to be the the fastest VPN out there, so you can enjoy high quality streaming with zero buffering or lag
- Split tunneling allows you to filter VPN traffic
- Streaming-optimized UK servers with OpenVPN support
- Round-the-clock customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- One of the most popular VPNs – read why users love it so much here
What makes a solid VPN for iPlayer? A blend of high-speed UK servers, helpful customer support, and superb privacy is what you should be looking for — and ExpressVPN checks all these boxes.
With UK servers supporting OpenVPN (both UDP and TCP) and a tight zero-logs policy, ExpressVPN is one of the safest VPNs currently available. It’s also the fastest according to our tests, so you can enjoy full HD streaming without any hiccups.
The BBC has some serious detection tools in place — they’re up there with the likes of Netflix and Hulu — so your current server may suddenly stop unblocking the service. Luckily, ExpressVPN’s 24/7 live chat support can hook you up with a new server and resolve the issue in no time.
So, with excellent UK server variety and lightning speeds to match, this VPN out of the British Virgin Islands is one of the most dedicated to providing the ultimate BBC iPlayer experience for fans abroad. If you end up disappointed, don’t worry — make use of the 30-day money-back guarantee!
Don’t miss the hottest deals on ExpressVPN right now – click here for coupons.
- 150+ UK servers
- Dedicated profiles — unblock iPlayer in a matter of seconds
- Attentive customer support
- 45-day money-back guarantee AND 1-day trial
- Users let us know that CyberGhost is very easy to use. You can read more reviews here
CyberGhost used to have major issues with content unblocking in the past, but after a major overhaul, it quickly rose through the ranks. Nowadays, it’s one of the most capable VPNs for BBC iPlayer.
Despite the overall phantom-like theme, what you see is what you get with CyberGhost. And you get a lot — 150+ servers in the UK, zero traffic or connection logs stored, live chat support, and up to 7 connected devices are just some of the great extras.
What really sets apart this VPN, however, is the custom (and dead-simple to use) profiles. With just a couple of clicks, you can set the client in “unblocking” mode, with settings especially for BBC iPlayer.
If you run into a problem, the responsive dedicated customer support is ready to help you out at any time.
Overall, CyberGhost is a super dependable VPN for unblocking BBC iPlayer. While not as fast as NordVPN or ExpressVPN, this provider makes it up with both a money-back guarantee and a 1-day trial — you can use the latter to test performance before you commit, which is a huge bonus.
- Strict zero-logs policy
- Servers in London and Manchester
- Budget-friendly VPN for accessing geoblocked content
- 24/7 customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee, plus a 7-day free trial for Android users
- Users say that they don’t have any issues bypassing pesky VPN blocks. You can read more reviews here.
Although Surfshark is one of the smaller providers on the scene, it offers excellent security features and can access censored and geoblocked content worldwide.
It has two server locations in the UK. This isn’t a lot, but it does the trick. You can use Surfshark to unlock a variety of streaming services, including BBC iPlayer.
Surfshark combines a zero-logs policy, 256-bit encryption, and an automatic kill switch to protect your data. It also offers top-of-the-line leak protection, as well as a built-in ad and malware blocker.
Surfshark’s service is value for your money, and it is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee. It also offers a 7-day free trial for Android users.
- 2,500 servers around the world, optimized for streaming, downloading, browsing, and much more
- Unlimited bandwidth and server changes
- Military-grade security and encryption
- Connect up to 5 devices at the same time
- Dedicated, live tech support
With servers in 25 countries, Hotspot Shield has a global network around and a solid fan-base. Its premium speeds brought this provider the glory that it currently enjoys, alongside its no-limit browsing and unlimited bandwidth features, ideal for excellent streaming.
Users can stream content on BBC iPlayer seamlessly using Hotspot Shield, with a maximum of 5 simultaneous connections.
This provider also does not lack in the security field, as it offers military-grade encryption and keeps all personal information private. It is very easy to use and compatible with all major platforms: iOS, Android, Mac, Windows.
If however for one reason or another you are not convinced just yet, you have a 45-day money-back guarantee, time in which you can try their service risk-free.
Hotspot Shield is a promising provider that keeps to its word, hence no surprise that it has so many satisfied customers!
- Proprietary Chameleon protocol gives you reliable unblocking
- Excellent speeds
- No third parties involved
- Free 3-day trial, but no money-back guarantee
- Users like the quality streams from the BBC iPlayer. You can read more reviews here
VyprVPN’s very own Chameleon protocol works wonders for bypassing the intricate VPN blocks found on Netflix, Hulu, and — of course — BBC iPlayer. A modified version of the OpenVPN protocol, one of its perks is dealing with deep packet inspection, which is often the culprit for a VPN’s failure to access a service with some serious detection in place.
Aside from this handy feature, you get very good speeds and a whole cluster of servers in the UK. If you’re looking to use a VPN for more than just unblocking iPlayer, VyprVPN is a great choice with a global server network totaling at 200,000+ IP addresses.
VyprVPN owns the code, hardware, and network it uses, so everything is at an arm’s reach, figuratively speaking. The cherry on top is the zero-logs policy — while some miscellaneous data is collected, you’ll be binging away in complete privacy.
That said, there are some cons to consider. For one, VyprVPN is a bit on the expensive side. There is no money-back guarantee, either — the provider operates under a no-refunds policy. The good news is you get a trial period, but at only 3 days long, you’ll have to prepare beforehand if you want extensive testing.
VPNs That We Tested And Couldn’t Unblock BBC iPlayer
Below, we will talk about the VPNs we tested, and tell you which services to stay away from.
- TunnelBear: Although TunnelBear operates servers in the UK, it was not able to bypass BBC iPlayer’s geoblocks.
During our tests, we also found out that TunnelBear can’t unlock Netflix. Both iPlayer and Netflix detected that we were using a VPN, and immediately blocked us.
- PureVPN: PureVPN offers servers that are specifically designed to unblock BBC iPlayer. Unfortunately, they did not work during our tests.
- GooseVPN: GooseVPN’s UK servers could not unlock BBC iPlayer when we tested them. According to its website, they are optimized for P2P connections instead.
Watch BBC iPlayer Abroad With a VPN
Getting around the geoblocks and watching your favorite shows on iPlayer isn’t as simple as it used to be — but it’s still possible. A VPN is undoubtedly the most secure and most dependable way to keep watching the BBC’s iPlayer stream. Now you know which providers are worth checking out.
Did you find this article useful? Help spread the good word and share it with iPlayer fans around the world!
In the market for a proven Netflix unblocker? Make a better choice — take a look at our top 5 VPNs for Netflix!