5 Best (TESTED) No-Log VPNs | Remain Anonymous & Private in 2019
A VPN that logs your data simply isn’t safe to use.
When your VPN records what you do online, your data is susceptible to leaks and attacks. If your VPN is from a 5/9/14-Eyes country, it could even reveal your browsing activity to government surveillance agencies.
A reliable, no-log VPN will keep you safe, even if it is hacked or subpoenaed for information. If it doesn’t store your data, it has nothing to reveal.
Our VPN experts take your security seriously. They have researched and tested the top providers to find the best no-log VPN available. You can find their in-depth reviews and recommendations below.
Best No-Log VPNs
- NordVPN is Panama-based and has an ironclad no-logs policy
- ExpressVPN keeps zero logs and offers lightning-fast speeds
- CyberGhost backs their no-logs policy with transparency reports
- Surfshark keeps no logs while offering an unlimited number device of connections
- ProtonVPN and its parent company are renowned for their commitment to privacy
Why Do You Need a No-Logs VPN?
When you connect to your VPN, your ISP can’t see what you’re doing online. But, your VPN provider can. So, if you use a VPN that keeps logs, you’re putting yourself at unnecessary risk.
Should your VPN provider become compromised, hackers and spies can access these logs and steal your personal information. Untrustworthy providers could even be selling your records to third parties for profit.
If your VPN keeps logs, the biggest threat to your privacy is the 5/9/14-Eyes Alliance. If your VPN is based in an allied country, surveillance agencies can access your browsing activity.
To put it simply, a VPN that doesn’t keep logs won’t have any information to give the authorities.
The Best No-Log VPNs
Best overall VPN – simply the best there is
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Panama-based — doesn’t monitor, retain, or share any logs/data
It’s also based in Panama, which means that it doesn’t have to comply with any data storage or reporting laws. NordVPN is 100% log-free.
Although it doesn’t record your browsing activity, it does collect some of your information, like your email address and payment details. This is normal, and necessary, of any VPN that accepts credit cards and PayPal.
However, you can pay with cryptocurrency if you’d like to keep your account completely anonymous.
NordVPN isn’t just great for security. With 5,000+ high-speed servers across 60 countries, it’s also our top choice for streaming. There’s no wonder that it’s one of the most popular VPNs on the market.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
Looking for speed? Then this is your VPN
- Keeps ZERO traffic logs
- Headquartered in the British Virgin Islands — no data retention/reporting laws to worry about
- 30-day money back guarantee.
Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN is another service that puts privacy at the forefront.
It keeps a strict no-logs policy, and, because of its location, it isn’t subject to any data retention laws. Any out-of-state disclosure orders it receives must come from the British Virgin Islands High Court. In fact, a Turkish investigation proved just how little data ExpressVPN collects.
In short, you don’t need to worry about the 5/9/14-Eyes Alliance spying on your activity when you use ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
Looking to get your money’s worth? Then this is VPN for you
- Doesn’t store traffic OR connection logs
- “No-spy” servers eliminate the need for third-party hosting
- P2P- and unblocking-friendly, but suffers from mediocre speed
Romanian-based CyberGhost is a great VPN for beginners because it’s straightforward, fast, and secure.
Like NordVPN, it collects some of your personal and billing information. It also records your IP address for anti-fraud purposes. However, it’s stored in an anonymized format and isn’t associated with your browsing activity.
CyberGhost owns and manages its own no-spy servers on-site. This means they are free of any third-party involvement and the potential risks associated with it.
With a neat interface, P2P support, and optimized high-speed servers, this VPN will keep your sessions private and practical. Don’t believe us? See what their users have to say.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
Looking for an unlimited number of connections? Then this is your VPN
- Unlimited, simultaneous connections
- Offers CleanWeb to block ads, trackers, and malware
- Zero-knowledge DNS keeps your activity completely private
Surfshark is a completely log-free VPN service. The only information they record is your email address and password, while your account keeps track of your order and billing history. Surfshark keeps no record of any VPN activity.
Like ExpressVPN, Surfshark is located in the British Virgin Islands. This means they don’t have to worry about complying with data retention laws or government surveillance.
Surfshark does collect information about their app performance, however, all of the information they receive is completely anonymous. The service will only know that something malfunctioned for a user. Unless you contact customer service, there is no way to trace the bug to a specific account.
Surshark’s private, zero-knowledge DNS servers ensure that your data always stays private. It’s also a great service for streaming, double encryption, and comes with ad blocking technology in its CleanWeb feature. If you need to connect a large number of devices, Surfshark is a great option. See what else users have to say about it!
Surfshark can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
Surfshark works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, FireTV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox.
Secrecy? Protection? No one does it better than the Swiss
- Headquartered in Switzerland
- Parent company is known for its focus on encryption and privacy
- SecureCore feature provides “double VPN” functionality at no additional cost
- ProtonVPN can unblock: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video
- Dedicated Torrenting Profile: Yes, P2P specialty servers available
- Works on these devices: Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Linux
ProtonVPN is as close to completely log-free as it gets. The only information it keeps is your login timestamp, which is overwritten with every new login.
Its Swiss headquarters afford it a unique kind of security. Switzerland is outside both US and EU legislation, and completely out of reach of the 5/8/14-Eyes Alliance.
Although Switzerland requires major telecom operates to store connection metadata for a year, ProtonVPN had confirmed it is exempt.
ProtonVPN is a formidable candidate if privacy is your top priority, but this isn’t the extent of its features.
With unlimited bandwidth on servers across the globe, we also recommend it for streaming, gaming, and everyday browsing. Its premium plans allow P2P connections for high-speed torrenting.
To help you decide if it’s right for you, check out these reviews from real users.
VPNs That Do Keep Logs
The above VPN services go to great lengths to protect user privacy, but not every service does the same. A number of VPNs openly collect, and even sell, user data. Those services openly state their practices in their privacy policies. However, there are several VPNs that claim to be no-log services but have later produced detailed user data. Check the list below to see which VPNs do keep logs:
- Sabre VPN
- HotSpot Shield
- Safe Connect VPN
- Hotspot VPN
- AVG VPN
- Seed 4 Me
- Hoxx VPN
- Browsec VPN
- Kaspersky VPN
- VPN In Touch
- Hide My IP
- VPN AC
- Bitdefender VPN
- VPN Unlimited
- Avast Secureline
- Encrypt Me
- F-Secure Freedome
- Thunder VPN
- VPN 360
- VPN Gate
- Opera VPN
- Ace VPN
Keep Your Privacy Intact with a True No-Log VPN
Here at vpnMentor, we believe your VPN should never record your browsing activity.
The providers we recommend above keep a strict no-logs policy and offer the best all-round protection and security.
If you still aren’t sure which VPN is the best match for you, we recommend NordVPN. Its privacy features are second-to-none, and you can even try it risk-free with a 30-day free trial.
Everyone loves to get a good deal. You can save money on your no-log VPN by using our best deals and discounts.
For the ultimate online security solution, consider combining Tor with a high-quality VPN. You can find our experts’ recommendations here.
If you’re new to the world of VPNs, we have some great tips on choosing the best service for you.