Top (REALLY FREE) VPN Services 2017
Free VPNs are great, but there's a reason they don't cost anything. We gathered the best free VPNs, and even divulge how to get a premium service for free. Share
NOTICE: It’s that time of the year again with huge BLACK FRIDAY sales. Right now, all of our major VPNs are offering practically free deals that are not available any other time of the year!
We still have our top free VPNs for you below. But, if there was ever a time to consider paying (only $2-3!) for a VPN, that time is now!
Why It’s A Good Idea To Use Free VPN Services
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides a tunnel service through which you can safely and anonymously access the internet. When it comes to protecting your data, having a VPN is crucial. However not everyone wants to pay for this kind of service. Luckily, for those of us who can’t afford the premium features of the best VPN services, there are some free VPN services out there that can offer quite a lot for nothing.
The advantages of using a free VPN service are many. Aside from the main benefit of protecting your online activity and privacy, free VPNs are a great way to ease yourself into the technology at no cost. This way you can become familiar with the service and once you discover how unbelievably useful it is, you can then search for a paid VPN service that contains the same benefits minus the annoying downsides of the free ones.
Free VPN Services Are Free For A Reason
Like anything free, there’s often a catch. And free VPN services are no exception.
Users can face an array of problems, such as privacy issues, where outdated data encryption can lead to hacking, and targeted ads due to some free services selling their data to third parties. Other downsides to using a free VPN service can include monthly capped data usage and a slower internet connection.
Of course, there are a lot of free VPN services available and it can get hard to distinguish the good from the bad, especially when you’re trying to find a VPN service that contains as few of the above problems as possible.
But it’s not all bad news! We’ve done the hard work for you and reviewed the free VPN options on the market right now in order to bring you a curated list of the best free VPN services to suit your needs.
The list below contains the best features of our favorite free VPN services. It goes without saying that each free service has compromised on something, whether it’s speed or data allowance. But for free services, you can’t do much better than these:
*Editor’s Choice: ExpressVPN
While not entirely free, Express’s 30 day money back guarantee is a great deal for those who are just getting started with VPN technology and want to ease themselves in with a great service!
- Fastest VPN, compatible with all devices
- Fast access to Netflix
- Super user friendly and easy to download
- Great option for travellers
- Connect to 90+ countries
- Fully refundable if you‘re not satisfied!
- No option for an entirely free service
The ultimate in ‘VPN services for beginners’, TunnelBear is arguably the most user friendly of the lot, although its free subscribers are limited to only 500 MB of traffic each month.
- No IP or data logging
- Works on all devices
- Offers an extra 500MB per month when you tweet about the company
- Simple to use
- Suitable for light downloaders and video streamers
- The monthly data limit is very annoying
- Very few advanced settings
This Malaysian based VPN provider has 28 servers spread across 22 countries and is highly popular.
- Guaranteed security with OpenVPN encryption
- Decent connection speed
- 2GB limit on data usage each month
- Ideal for privacy in public hotspots or unlocking some websites
- Data Limitation
It’s simplicity makes BetterNet one of the more popular free VPN services for first-timers. The “free-forever” promise means you can use its VPN for as long as you want with no data caps.
- No logging policy
- “Free-forever” promise – you can use its VPN for as long as you want
- No data caps
- Available for Mac, Windows, Android, Chrome and Firefox
- One of the 10 worst services for intercepting malware which poses a huge problem
A newcomer to the free VPN scene, Windscribe has already made a great name for itself. Its generous data allowance and proper privacy commitment easily make it one of the best VPN services around.
- 10 GB of data a month
- Great speeds for available free server locations
- Doesn’t store connection logs, IPs or visited sites
- Offers an extra 5GB if you tweet about the service
- Earn an extra 1GB each time you refer a friend
- Built in adblocker and firewall
- Free users don’t have access to all the servers
A reliable service, despite being smaller than its free VPN service competitors. It boasts excellent customer service with 24/7 support and a promise to solve all issues within 3 hours!
- 30 day free trial (will automatically start charging you if you don’t cancel your subscription after the trial is up)
- A great network of 50+ servers worldwide
- Consistent speeds
- User friendly platform
- Expensive Billing
- Technical Issues
One of the newest free VPN services to hit the market, Proton is operated by experts who are dedicated to cyber security. This makes their privacy features some of the best on the market.
- No bandwidth caps on data
- Access to servers in the Netherlands, Japan, USA and Switzerland
- No logging
- The speed is made deliberately slow for free users to encourage upgrades to the paid package
Now that you have had a taste of the positive features a VPN service has to offer and you’ve tried one or a few of the above free options, you may be ready to upgrade to internet protection without compromise.
In order to get the ultimate in encryption and fast connection speeds, we recommend using a paid VPN service. As paid VPN services become more prevalent, they also become more affordable.
Here’s our pick for the top Premium VPN services today: