4 Best VPN Chrome Extensions: FAST & RELIABLE in 2021
- Here’s Why You Need to Use One of the Top Chrome VPN Extensions
- The Best VPN Chrome Extensions – Full Analysis (Updated October 2021)
- ExpressVPN – Complete Protection of Online Anonymity
- Hotspot Shield – Beginner-Friendly Browser Plug-In
- Private Internet Access – Advanced Security Features
- ZenMate VPN – Save Money With Smart Price
While you’re online, your browser is constantly sending information it collects about you to every site you visit. It shares your IP location, operating system, hardware, and even information about other devices connected to your network. If a website you trust, such as Google or YouTube, can access this information without you even knowing, just imagine what a malicious site could find out.
Using an unprotected browser leaves your personal information, like passwords and security codes, vulnerable. A good VPN extension will encrypt your browser traffic so that criminals cannot use your personal data to hack into your accounts.
In addition to securing your connection, a VPN browser extension will mask your IP location and allow you to view geoblocked content and bypass censorship from anywhere in the world.
However, your online security depends on choosing one of the best extensions available. A sub-par VPN plugin can leave your device vulnerable, or even leak your information to third parties itself.
For optimal security, you’ll need to ensure that the service you choose doesn’t keep logs of your browsing history. Unlimited bandwidth and a high-speed connection are also must-haves, and, if you’re planning to stream geoblocked media, you’ll also want a service that’s able to bypass modern anti-VPN technology.
We have tested the best VPN extensions for Chrome, and selected our favorites based on security, speed, and user experience. Here is a short summary of our top picks – you can read more below.
Short on Time? Here are the best VPN Chrome extensions
- ExpressVPN’s plugin is one of the fastest on the market, and it won’t keep logs of your browsing history.
- Hotspot Shield: If you’re after a reliable and budget-friendly option, Hotspot Shield’s browser extension is a great choice.
- Private Internet Access’s Chrome extension offers great security features and the ability to overcome geoblocks.
- ZenMate VPN’s plugin encrypts all of your browser’s traffic to ensure your anonymity and online security.
Here’s Why You Need to Use One of the Top Chrome VPN Extensions
A good VPN browser extension will unblock geoblocked content, secure your connection, and hide your personal information from hackers and cybercriminals.
Unfortunately, many of the VPN extensions that are available are not safe. In fact, some have even been caught red-handed exploiting users and leaking their private information without their knowledge. For this reason, it is important to protect your connection with a trusted VPN browser plugin.
The number of VPN extensions available on Chrome’s database can feel overwhelming. There are so many options to choose from, and each extension claims to be the best.
You should avoid standalone plugins and instead opt for ones that are published by trusted VPN providers. At best, standalone options are just proxies that won’t encrypt your data, and, at worst, they could be malicious programs designed to collect your personal information.
All of our top picks are linked to trusted VPN providers and have what it takes to secure your data and keep you safe online.
The Best VPN Chrome Extensions – Full Analysis (Updated October 2021)
ExpressVPN’s user-friendly plugin gives you full control over your connection without having to navigate away from your browser. Unlike most VPN extensions, it encrypts all the data traveling over your network.
If you’re struggling with websites that block you if you deny them access to your device’s GPS, it can spoof your HTML5 geolocation to grant you access without compromising your anonymity.
ExpressVPN’s extension and app makes a powerful online security combination. With lightning-fast speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and a choice of over 3,000 global servers, it’s no wonder ExpressVPN is a fan favorite.
- ExpressVPN can unblock: Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Supports torrenting: Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
- ExpressVPN works on these devices: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
Hotspot Shield’s Chrome extension is the ultimate security tool.
It is great for beginners, and setup is easy. You can download, install and connect it with just one click.
The plugin uses military-grade encryption to protect your data. Built-in WebRTC blocking prevents IP leaks, and it has an ad and malware blocker, too!
You can test-drive Hotspot Shield’s limited free version before upgrading to a premium package, backed by a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Its high speeds and unlimited bandwidth will have you zooming along. You can read the great things users are saying about it here.
- Hotspot Shield can unblock: Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video.
- Supports torrenting: Yes, P2P allowed on all servers.
- Hotspot Shield works on these devices: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chrome.
The Private Internet Access (PIA) extension for Chrome is easy to install onto your browser. Once installed simply log in to your PIA account, select a server location, and your browsing and streaming is protected.
Although not a full VPN, the proxy browser still offers military-grade encryption and plenty of top-shelf security features. They include the ability to prevent Chrome from running Adobe Flash, block WebRTC IP detection, and stop websites from accessing your camera, microphone, and location.
To further protect your privacy, the PIA Chrome Extension allows you to disable third party cookies, tracking, and credit card and address autofill.
If you have any questions about the security, the customer support team is available via a ticket system.
Test out the speed, performance, and security of Private Internet Access and its Chrome extension with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Need more information before making a commitment? Take a look at our comprehensive Private Internet Access review.
- Private Internet Access can unblock: HBO GO, HBO NOW, Hulu, Disney+, Showtime, YouTube, Netflix, and others.
- Supports torrenting: Yes, P2P is allowed on all servers
- Private Internet Access works on these devices: Chrome, Firefox, Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux
If you’re looking for a full-feature VPN extension on a budget, ZenMate’s VPN extension is your perfect match! Its free version offers a huge range of features with little compromise. It’s also one of the simplest on the market to set up and configure.
One of the extension’s unique features is SmartPrice, which comes pre-enabled. SmartPrice saves you money when you shop online by displaying relevant product reviews and price comparisons. Its security features include WebRTC blocking, encryption, and a NATFirewall which prevents hackers from scanning your device.
As a bonus, its AlwaysOn feature will start your VPN protection as soon as you connect to the internet to ensure your personal data is never exposed.
ZenMate’s premium version is budget-friendly, and unlike the free version, it offers unlimited speeds and servers across the globe. You’ll also be able to connect up to Unlimited devices to your account at the same time.
The good news is that when you activate your free account, ZenMate will give you a 7-day free trial of their premium services. Users are raving about ZenMate, and it isn’t hard to see why!
- ZenMate can unblock: Netflix.
- Supports torrenting: Yes. No dedicated torrenting profiles but allows P2P traffic.
- Zenmate works on these devices: Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox, Opera.
Make Chrome Better With the Best VPN Extensions
While we recommend going the safe route and using dedicated VPN clients, these extensions are exceptions to the rule. Whether it’s anonymity, unblocking, or a healthy balance of both you’re looking for, you’ll find it here.
We can help if you’re looking for a dedicated VPN that will work with your Chromebook too, check out our list of the best VPNs for Chromebook. It even comes with easy setup guides!
To summarize, the best VPNs for Chrome in October 2021 are …
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.