5 Best VPNs for 4chan That Work: Fast and Private (2024)
- Best VPNs for 4chan — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Overall Best for Private 4chan Browsing
- CyberGhost — Smart Rules for Easy Protection on 4chan
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable Settings for the Best Balance of Speed and Security on 4chan
- NordVPN — The Best Speeds for Browsing 4chan
- Surfshark — Intuitive Design Makes it Easy to Use 4chan Privately
- Quick Comparison Table: 4chan VPN Features
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for 4chan
- Quick Guide: How to Use 4chan With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- FAQs on the Best VPNs for 4chan
- Get the Best VPN for 4chan
Navigating the vast array of VPN options for 4chan is an overwhelming experience. There are many services that claim to be secure, but when you look closer, they don’t have the features needed to protect you on 4chan.
My team and I tested over 80 VPNs, rigorously examining their features to find the best ones for 4chan. We specifically looked for VPNs prioritizing data security, offering proven no-logs policies, and ensuring fast speeds. After extensive testing, we shortlisted the VPNs that ticked all the boxes.
Of all of them, ExpressVPN is my top pick for 4chan. It has strong security and privacy features to protect you, like its built-in malicious site blocker and RAM-based servers. Plus, it was really fast during my tests. You can try it out on 4chan for 30 days since it comes with a money-back guarantee.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for 4chan in 2024
- Editor's ChoiceExpressVPN
Secure, reliable for 4chan with strong encryption, RAM servers, and lag-free browsing.70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
The Smart rules set of features lets you connect to the VPN as soon as you open 4chan.
- Private Internet Access
Balances security and speed for 4chan with adjustable encryption and packet size.
Its NordLynx protocol made it slightly faster than all the other VPNs I tested for 4chan.
User-friendly app to get started with 4chan easily, even if you’re new to VPNs.
Best VPNs for 4chan — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|IP/DNS leak protection to safeguard your data on 4chan
|3,000 servers in 105 countries, so there’s always one nearby
|8, so you can protect all your devices at once
|Fast (only a 6% loss on nearby servers)
ExpressVPN is a great option if you’re concerned about privacy on 4chan. I found that it has all the basics, including an audited no-logs policy, a kill switch, and IP/DNS leak protection. Unlike most other VPNs, ExpressVPN’s browser extension blocks WebRTC, which can leak your IP to other 4chan users even when the VPN is turned on. I tested it for IPv4, IPv6, and DNS leaks too, and found none whatsoever.
Its Threat Manager is really useful for 4chan because it blocks known trackers and malicious sites. I don’t recommend clicking on links from 4chan since they can be dangerous, but when I mistakenly opened one, the Threat Manager kicked in and protected me.
Although it isn’t technically the fastest VPN on my list, ExpressVPN was really quick. My speed only dropped by 6%, so I didn’t really notice any lag. I think this was due to the fact I was using its Lightway protocol, which is typically more efficient than other VPN protocols because it uses fewer lines of code. Given that it’s normal for a VPN to drop your speed by 20%, I was happy.
Being a premium service, ExpressVPN is a bit expensive. But it offers a money-back guarantee, so you can try it out risk-free for 30 days. Arranging a refund is pretty simple. I just contacted its 24/7 customer support via live chat. After a few short questions, they were happy to grant me a refund. Alongside credit cards, PayPal, Klarna, and AliPay, ExpressVPN accepts cryptocurrency for improved privacy.
- Split tunneling. You can use this to choose which apps and browsers go through the VPN and which use your normal unencrypted connection. This way, you can secure the browser you’re using for 4chan without slowing down your other apps with unnecessary encryption.
- TrustedServer Technology. ExpressVPN’s network runs on RAM, so it’s incapable of storing any of your 4chan browsing data. Plus, its software is continually cryptographically verified to ensure it hasn’t been manipulated by hackers.
- Shortcuts. ExpressVPN lets you create a shortcut to 4chan on the homepage of the app. With this, you can connect to a server and load the site without the extra step of closing the app and navigating to your browser manually.
- Audited no-logs policy. Unlike most VPNs which haven’t verified that they won’t record your data, ExpressVPN’s no-logs policy was proven by three independent audit firms, including KPMG and Cure53.
|Smart rules can be set up to automatically switch the VPN on when you’re at risk
|11,683 servers in 100 countries to use 4chan securely
|7 per subscription so you can use 4chan on all your devices
|Local servers only reduced my connection speed by 5%
CyberGhost stands out from other VPNs because of its set of Smart rules. You can use these settings to tell the VPN what to do under certain conditions. My favorite is App rules because you can set it to automatically connect to a server when you open your 4chan app or the browser that you use to access it. When I tried it on my Android, CyberGhost connected me to a local server as soon as I opened up Omnichan.
Having advanced features like this presents a downside, though: CyberGhost’s app can be a little confusing at first, especially if you’ve never used a VPN before. However, the layout is well-designed, and it explains what each of its settings does in a clear way, so you’ll be able to figure it out quickly.
It has strong 256-bit AES encryption, and it doesn’t record any of your 4chan activity with its no-logs policy verified by Deloitte. Similar to ExpressVPN, all of its servers run on RAM memory and are wiped clean with each reboot. If you’re concerned about data privacy, I recommend using its NoSpy servers. They’re self-owned and housed in its Romanian headquarters, so there’s no risk of third-party infiltration.
I was surprised to see that CyberGhost’s monthly plan only offers a 14-day money-back guarantee. However, it has a generous refund period for its longer plans so that you can try it out for free for 45 days.
- Privacy Guard. This feature provides real-time surveillance of your system's security settings and alerts you about any unexpected changes.
- Privacy-friendly jurisdiction. With a location in Romania, CyberGhost is headquartered outside the 5, 9, and 14 Eyes surveillance alliances. This helps prevent your 4chan data from being collected or abused.
- Block Content. This blocks ads, trackers, and malicious sites to protect your device while you’re browsing 4chan.
- Leak protection. CyberGhost has built-in protection from IP and DNS leaks, which can reveal some of your data to your ISP and leave you exposed on 4chan.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable Settings for the Best Balance of Speed and Security on 4chan
|Tailor your encryption levels to your needs to improve connection speed
|29,650 servers in 91 countries for using 4chan privately
|Unlimited connections at once
|6% speed loss on local servers
PIA is a good choice for 4chan if your internet is typically slow or unstable. You can choose your encryption level, protocol, and packet size to improve your speed. I recommend using the fast WireGuard with 256-bit AES for the best security on 4chan. 128-bit might give you better speeds, but you can only use it with OpenVPN, which is a secure protocol. Choose large packets for the best speed or small packets if your connection is unstable.
As I was flicking through these settings, I noticed one called MACE, which is similar to CyberGhost’s Block Content feature. This is PIA’s built-in ad, tracker, and malicious site blocker. Given the nature of some of 4chan’s ads, I was excited to try this out. MACE worked perfectly during my tests.
I noticed that PIA is based in the US, which worried me at first because the country is renowned for its invasive data collection. However, PIA’s strict no-logs policy has been audited by a third party. It doesn’t store any of your browsing activity, so even if the government asked for more information, it wouldn’t have any to share.
There’s a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try PIA for 4chan at no cost for some time. To test this, I asked for a refund and got my money back within 3 days.
- Multi-Hop. PIA can route your traffic through an additional hop (a SOCKS5 proxy) before the VPN encrypts it, adding an extra layer of privacy for when you’re using 4chan.
- Split tunneling. Similar to ExpressVPN, you can choose which apps use the VPN and which use your regular connection. This way, you can encrypt your 4chan activity without losing speed on other apps.
- Automation. You can set PIA to connect automatically on certain networks, so you don’t need to worry if you forget to switch it on before you open 4chan when you’re on public WiFi.
- DNS protection. Its built-in leak prevention means that PIA fully hides your DNS, IPv6, and other addresses on 4chan. These can sneak past encryption with weaker VPNs and reveal data about you to eavesdroppers.
|NordLynx is one of the fastest VPN protocols available
|6,088 RAM-based servers in 61 countries
|6 device connections per subscription
|Only a 2% drop on local servers
NordVPN gave me the best speeds of all the VPNs I tested for 4chan. It only reduced my speed by 2%, which is practically unheard of. I used its NordLynx protocol during my tests, which is based on WireGuard. Similar to ExpressVPN’s Lightway, NordLynx is lightweight and efficient. With it, I was able to browse through 4chan with minimal loading time.
It has another feature that is quite similar to ExpressVPN’s Threat Manager. NordVPN’s Threat Protection blocks malicious sites, pop-up ads, and trackers. It worked well for me on 4chan, although one breakthrough banner ad did pop up. Blocking ads also prevents unnecessary data consumption and bolsters your speed.
NordVPN's design is a little inconvenient and clunky. The world server map was awkward and laggy, particularly when I tried to zoom in. However, you can get around this by just using the search bar to find the country you want to connect to instead, and the app itself is very easy to use.
NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee gives you a chance to try the VPN with 4chan for free. If you aren’t sold and you’d like to test a different service instead, it’s easy to cancel your subscription and get your refund.
- Quick Connect. This identifies and connects you to the fastest server based on your location, so you don’t have to look for a specific one for 4chan.
- Onion over VPN. Turn this on to route your traffic through the anonymous Onion network. It usually requires special software, but Onion over VPN gives you the extra privacy of Tor while you use 4chan.
- Double VPN. This sends your data through two servers, doubling the encryption and thus giving you better security on 4chan. However, it does reduce your connection speed.
|User-friendly app that is great even if you’re a beginner
|3,200 servers in 100 countries to get a new IP
|Unlimited devices at the same time with one subscription
|6% speed loss on nearby servers
Surfshark is great if you haven’t ever used a VPN before. The app is quick to set up and easy to use. I was able to log in, connect to a server, and get to 4chan in just a few clicks. The design is pretty straightforward, and you don’t need to change any complicated settings to get started.
You get all the security essentials, including 256-bit AES encryption and an automatic kill switch. The kill switch kicked in as soon as I changed servers to protect me from leaks. It also has DNS and IP leak protection. I tested it for leaks and didn’t find any. Plus, its servers are RAM-based, so it’s technologically impossible for them to store your data.
I noticed that Surfshark's customer service response times are longer than most VPNs on this list. However, it makes up for this with a robust online help center, complete with guides and FAQs, which can help you resolve many common problems on your own. Plus, once I got through to support, the agents were helpful and friendly.
If you want to test it out with 4chan, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee. I contacted customer support to make use of the guarantee. After asking a couple of customer-satisfaction questions, they approved my refund.
- MultiHop. Surfshark's MultiHop feature is similar to NordVPN’s Double VPN. It allows you to route your internet traffic through multiple servers in different locations, providing an extra layer of encryption.
- CleanWeb. This automatically blocks ads, trackers, and malware, thus protecting you on 4chan and other websites.
- Rotating IP. With this enabled, Surfshark changes your IP address at set intervals without changing your chosen server location. This enhances your privacy on 4chan, making it harder for anyone to track your online activity.
- Camouflage mode. This makes your VPN connection look like ordinary traffic, helping you use 4chan securely, even on restricted public networks.
Quick Comparison Table: 4chan VPN Features
Here's a simple guide to help you compare the top five VPNs for 4chan, highlighting their major features.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for 4chan
I have carefully ranked a selection of VPNs that I highly recommend for using 4chan securely and hassle-free. If you prefer to conduct your own tests, you can utilize my criteria as a helpful guide.
- Powerful security. Look for VPNs that offer industry-standard VPN protocols like OpenVPN or WireGuard. Additionally, check if the VPN has 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and IP/DNS leak protection to ensure your data remains secure.
- Large server network. Opt for VPNs with a wide range of server locations across different countries. This means that you’re less likely to encounter an overcrowded server, which can slow down your connection. Plus, if one server doesn’t work reliably, you should have many others to choose from.
- Fast speeds. To find a fast VPN, consider those that support high-speed protocols such as WireGuard or have proprietary protocols like Lightway (ExpressVPN) and NordLynx (NordVPN).
- User-friendly app. Choose VPNs with beginner-friendly apps for different devices. Look for features like one-click connect, easy server selection, and clear settings menus.
- Excellent customer support. Check if the VPN offers 24/7 support through multiple channels, like live chat or email. Prompt and knowledgeable responses, along with helpful troubleshooting assistance, indicate good customer support.
- Money-back guarantees. Look for VPNs that offer a money-back guarantee of at least 30 days. This allows you to test the VPN's performance and features before committing to a subscription.
Quick Guide: How to Use 4chan With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
FAQs on the Best VPNs for 4chan
Will a VPN slow down my internet connection for 4chan?
Yes, a good VPN can cause minor speed reductions because of the time it takes to encrypt your traffic. You can generally expect your connection to be about 10–20% slower on nearby connections. However, this loss can be even smaller when you use fast VPNs like the ones I tested.
Can I use a free VPN for 4chan?
Technically you could, but it isn’t safe, and this defeats the purpose of using a VPN in the first place. Free VPNs don’t typically provide secure encryption or features like kill switches and IP/DNS leak protection. This puts you at risk of attacks and tracking when you’re using 4chan. They’re typically pretty slow, too. Instead, I recommend using a good VPN with a money-back guarantee.
Does 4chan ban VPNs?
No, 4chan doesn't ban VPNs. In some cases, it has been known to ban specific IPs that belong to VPNs but not the whole service. If you use a VPN that is known to work with 4chan, you are not likely to face this issue. However, your IP could be banned from 4chan if you engage in trolling, spam, harassment, or break other rules like posting ASCII images.
Will a VPN bypass the 4chan IP ban?
Yes, a VPN can technically bypass an IP ban on 4chan. It masks your real IP with a new one, making it appear as though you're browsing from a different location. All of the VPNs on my list work well with 4chan. However, you need to make sure that you're not violating 4chan's rules, as misuse could lead to a permanent ban.
Get the Best VPN for 4chan
It’s difficult to find a VPN that is secure, private, and fast enough to use with 4chan. After conducting thorough tests, my top recommendation for 4chan is ExpressVPN.
It’s fast and secure, and its RAM-only servers prevent your online activities (including 4chan) from being collected and stored. Plus, it has a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out risk-free.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for 4chan...
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.