3 Best VPNs To Watch Disney+ Anywhere (Still Works in 2021!)
- Best VPNs for Disney+ (Updated 2021)
- ExpressVPN — Lightning-Fast Speeds To Watch Disney+ in HD
- CyberGhost — Simple Apps Make It Easy To Access Disney+
- Private Internet Access — Thousands of Servers To Unblock Disney+ Anywhere
- Got a VPN but Disney+ Still Not Working? Try This
- Quick Comparison Table: Disney+ VPN Features
- Research Methodology: How I Tested and Ranked The Best 5 VPNs
- How to Sign Up For Disney+ Without a Foreign Credit Card
- FAQs on VPNs for Disney+
- The Bottom Line
I love Disney+ and the amazing content it offers (like Star Wars, The Mandalorian, and all of my favorite childhood flicks), but it’s still not available in my country. I’d heard that I could unblock it using a VPN, but I tried several — and all I got was a page that said “Stay updated about Disney+”.
So, I went on a search for a good VPN that can bypass Disney Plus’ geoblocks, allowing me to access all regional Disney+ libraries and watch different shows and movies.
Disney+ claims to block all VPNs— but this isn’t really true. Many VPNs don’t work, but after testing 45+ services, I found a handful that do (and are fast enough that you can watch movies in HD without buffering). I recommend ExpressVPN because it has ultra-fast servers that unblock Disney+ without a hitch. Plus, you can try it risk-free (it’s backed by a money-backed guarantee).
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Disney+ in 2021
- ExpressVPN — Ultra-fast speeds to watch Disney+ in HD without lag or buffering (plus, you can try it free for 30 days).
- CyberGhost — Optimized servers to unblock Disney+ with ease, but it doesn’t work in China.
- Private Internet Access — Has 35,550 servers so you can access any Disney+ library, but it’s not fast enough to let you watch movies in 4K.
- Ultra-fast servers mean you can watch Disney+ movies without buffering
- 3,000 servers so you can try every Disney+ library
- MediaStreamer to set up a VPN connection on game consoles and smart TVs
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
ExpressVPN is so fast that you’ll have no problem watching Disney+ in HD. Your connection speed affects the picture quality you get when you’re streaming, so I tested 10+ servers to see how fast it really is. All of the servers I tested gave me speeds above 70 Mbps (you only need 5 Mbps for HD streaming). I watched Hamilton, Star Wars: Rise of The Skywalker, and Avengers: End Game without lag or fuzzy pictures.
With 3,000 servers, it’s easy to find one that can unblock Disney+. A large network also means that you don’t need to end your movie marathon if the server you’re on slows down or stops working because you can quickly connect to a better one.I tried 10 US servers most of them unblocked Disney+ immediately, but the Chicago, New York, and Miami servers were faster, so I didn’t have to wait as long for shows to load. Its Atlanta server didn’t work for me at all, so I contacted customer support on the live chat, and they recommended I try a server in LA, which worked straight away. I also tested 5 of its Australian server locations and 4 UK servers, all of which worked without a problem.
The MediaStreamer feature makes it easy to set up a VPN connection on your router and devices that don’t normally support VPN apps (like SmartTVs, PlayStation, Chromecast, etc.). It took me only 5 minutes to set it up on my SmartTV and even my parents (who are not that great with technology) managed to install it within 10 minutes.
ExpressVPN offers good discounts, too — right now, you can get 49% off your subscription. You can also give it a try risk-free. If you don’t like it, you can claim a refund within 30 days.
When I tested the refund process, it only took the staff a few minutes to process my cancellation. I also got my money back even sooner than promised — it was in my account the next day.
- Decent speeds for uninterrupted streaming
- Straightforward apps that are easy to set up even if you haven’t used a VPN before
- 6,800 servers to access any Disney+ library
- 7 simultaneous device connections
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Go, Showtime, and more
- Compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, Roku, and more
If you’re a VPN beginner, CyberGhost is a good choice because it’s so easy to use. I was able to install on all of my devices within 5 minutes. It features one-click connection, and you don’t need to configure it beforehand — it’s ready to go as soon as you download it.
CyberGhost has optimized Disney+ servers that are preconfigured to watch it in high definition — but they can only unblock the US, Italian, and Indian libraries. I tested its non-optimized servers and they were still able to unblock Disney+ in other countries, but they were a little slower. Its optimized server in the US ran at 51.54 Mbps, while the regular US server I tested ran at 48.13 Mbps. The slowest speed I got was on an Australian server (39.77 Mbps), but it was still more than fast enough to stream Disney+ in HD.
CyberGhost is a little more expensive — but right now, you can take advantage of its 83% discount to get the best price. Alongside this discount, you can use its 45-day money-back guarantee to try CyberGhost out for free. I requested a refund via live chat on the very last day of my guarantee, and they honored it — I got my money back 4 days later.
- Good speeds to watch movies on Disney+ without lag
- 35,550 servers worldwide
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO Go, Showtime, and more
- Compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, Roku, and more
Private Internet Access has a huge server network, with 35,550+ servers in countries where Disney+ is available. I tested 10 of its US server locations and found that all of them gave me easy access to Disney+. I also tried its UK and Australian servers, and I was able to load Disney+ quite quickly and start watching with minimal buffering. You can use Private Internet Access to access every Disney+ library.
I found its speeds are decent — but it’s not fast enough to stream in 4K. When I speed tested its US servers, I got an average of 20 Mbps. So, you can still watch your favorite Disney+ flicks in HD.
Private Internet Access has a 30-day money-back guarantee that lets you test it out, risk-free. You can use this guarantee alongside its latest discount to get up to 78% off. If it isn’t right for you, just ask for your money back before the guarantee ends. I tested out its refund policy and got my money back within 7 business days — although the support agent I spoke to asked a few questions, it was a really easy process.
- Clear your browser cache and use an incognito window. This will prevent your browser from accidentally revealing your real location and getting you blocked from Disney+
- Check if your VPN actually supports Disney+. A lot of VPNs can’t unblock Disney+, so if your VPN isn’t one of the few on my list, there’s a chance it no longer works. To fix this, switch to a VPN from my list. I’ve tested them all to confirm that they can unblock Disney+.
- Have a chat with customer support and ask which servers are working for Disney+. I contacted ExpressVPN through live chat and the representative I spoke with was able to tell me the best server to connect to very quickly.
Quick Comparison Table: Disney+ VPN Features
|VPN||Servers||Simultaneous Device Connections||Compatible Devices||Compatible Streaming Services||Money-Back Guarantee|
|ExpressVPN||3,000||5||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more.||Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more.||30 days|
|CyberGhost||6,800||7||Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, Roku, and more.||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Go, Showtime, and more.||45 days|
|PIA||35,550||10||Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, and more.||Hulu, BBC iPlayer, HBO Go, Showtime, and more.||30 days|
Research Methodology: How I Tested and Ranked The Best 5 VPNs
Most VPNs can’t access Disney+ because it operates special software that detects and blocks their servers’ IP addresses. However, the VPNs I listed constantly refresh their IP addresses so Disney+ can’t block them.
To give you easy access to Disney+, your VPN needs to be optimized for streaming. I tested each VPN on this list and here’s what I looked out for:
- Servers that can unblock Disney+: Your VPN needs to operate lots of servers in countries where Disney+ is available. This is important because if Disney+ blocks the server you’re using you need plenty of other servers to use instead. The VPNs I shortlisted have thousands of servers and they refresh their IP addresses regularly so Disney+ can’t block them.
- Fast speeds for watching in HD and 4K: You need a fast VPN to stream Disney+ without any buffering. All of the VPNs on this list are really fast, with speeds exceeding the 5 Mbps you need to watch in HD (and most are fast enough for 4K, too).
- Apps for your streaming devices: You need a VPN that has apps for all the devices that you want to watch Disney+ on (or workarounds like ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer for your smart TV). The VPNs I tested are all easy to install and use — and they offer apps for all the devices that Disney+ is available on.
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it unblocks Disney+ with ease and lets you watch movies in HD (plus, you can try it for 30 days)
- Connect to a server in the US. Disney+ US is the cheapest, but after you subscribe, you can switch to an Australian server to unblock extra shows and movies.
- Start watching Disney+! Sign up and enjoy!
- Get a VPN and connect to a US server. I recommend ExpressVPN because it’s fast and reliably unblocks Disney+ (plus, you can try it out for 30 days, risk-free).
- Navigate to the Apple ID management page. Log out of your old account and then click “Create Your Apple ID.”
- Fill out the registration form. Set the US as your country of residence and enter your real phone number (it doesn’t matter if you’re not in the US — Apple doesn’t check).
- Type in the codes that Apple sent to your email and cell phone to verify your new Apple ID.
- Open the “Settings” menu on your iPhone or iPad, then click “Apple ID” and “iTunes & App Store.”
- Sign out of your old Apple ID and log in to your new account.
- Download Disney+ from the App Store.
- Click on the “Review” button and agree to the conditions, then click “Next.”
- For your payment method, select “None.”
- Enter the address of a US hotel — I used 1751 Hotel Plaza, Orlando, Florida, 32830. Then, click continue and wait for the app to download.
How To Pay for Your Disney+ Subscription With Apple
- Get a gift card from the Apple Gift Card Store — you’ll need to put at least US$10 on it to pay for your first month of Disney+. Don’t forget to use the same US billing address as your Apple ID.
- Follow the prompts to get your gift card and then click “Place Your Order.”
- Open your gift card email and click “Print this Gift Card.” Don’t worry — you don’t need a printer. This will just save your gift card as a PDF so you can copy the gift card code.
- Hit “Save as PDF” and then click “Save.”
- Open your gift card PDF, highlight the gift card code, and copy it.
- On the App Store, click on your avatar in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select “Redeem gift card or code” and choose to “Enter Code Manually.”
- Paste in your code and click “Redeem.” The gift card will be applied to your account.
- Open Disney+ and create a new account.
- Choose the plan you want to sign up for and click “Ok.”
- Enjoy! You’re ready to watch.
These instructions used to work, but they don’t anymore because Google Play requires phone verification — with a phone number from the country you selected as your country of residence. However, it sometimes seems to skip this step so you should keep checking — it might work. If anything changes (or if I find a better way to access Disney+ from an Android device) I’ll update this guide.
- Get a VPN and connect to a US server. ExpressVPN unblocks Disney+ easily and has fast speeds for bufferless streaming. Plus, you can take advantage of its 30-day money-back guarantee and try it for free.
- Open the Google Play Store then click on your username.
- Select “Add another account” and then “Create account.”
- Follow Google’s prompts to create your new account — be sure to select the US as your region.
- Go to MyGiftCardSupply and purchase a Google Play gift card. You’ll be sent a Play Store gift card code by email.
- When it arrives, highlight the code in your email and copy it.
- Go back to the Play Store, click on the hamburger menu, and open up your payment methods.
- Choose “Redeem code” and paste in the gift card code from your email. Then, click “Redeem.”
- Install the Disney+ app from the Play Store.
- Open Disney+ and register a new account.
- Choose your plan and click “Subscribe.” Make sure your payment method is set to “gift card” on the checkout page.
- You’re all done — and you’re ready to watch Disney+!
FAQs on VPNs for Disney+
? Can I get Disney+ cheaper or for free by using a VPN?
You can use a VPN to change your virtual location and get a Disney+ subscription cheaper, but there is no way to get it for free. Disney+ used to offer a free trial, but it isn’t available anymore.
Disney+ is the cheapest in the US (you can get a monthly subscription starting from US$7). All you need to do is connect your VPN to a US server before you sign up and you’ll get the best price.
? Using a VPN, can I unblock extra Disney+ shows and movies? Which country has the best library?
Yes, you can unblock extra Disney+ content with a VPN. The Australian Disney+ library is the largest, but new releases are coming out in the US library far quicker than any other. My advice? Sign up for a US Disney+ subscription to get the cheapest rate (you can do this from any country — here’s how), and then connect to an Australian VPN server to get extra shows and movies.
? What should I do if my VPN is not working with Disney+?
The simplest thing to do is clear your browser cache and switch to an incognito window. This stops your browser from accidentally revealing your real location to Disney+. Already tried that step and still having issues? There are several easy things you can do to get your VPN working again if it can’t unblock Disney+. My quick troubleshooting guide will help you get back to watching Disney+.
? Will a free VPN unblock Disney+?
No. I tested 12 free VPNs and none of them could access Disney+ because it has already banned their IP addresses. Free VPNs also slow your connection down which causes low video quality while you’re streaming — and most of them limit your data, so you can only watch Disney+ for 2-3 hours every month.
But I found a trick that lets you test the VPNs that can unblock Disney+ out for free (and I used it to test the VPNs in this article, so I know it works). They all have money-back guarantees that let you try them out before you commit. If it’s not the right VPN for you, all you need to do is ask for a refund before the guarantee ends and you’ll get your money back.
? Is there a way to get Disney+ without a foreign credit card?
Technically, no — but I found a workaround for this. Disney+ only accepts credit cards that are registered in countries where it is already broadcasting. It’s impossible to sign up for a credit card in a country you don’t live in, but you can get around this by subscribing to Disney+ through the App Store or the Google Play Store and using a gift card to pay.
However, you will need to create a US-based Apple or Play Store account for this to work. It sounds complicated — but it’s not, and I have written a guide to help you subscribe to Disney+ without a credit card.
? What can I watch on Disney+ with a VPN?
Using a VPN, you can watch movies and shows from Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, and National Geographic on Disney+. Some highlights include Hamilton, Zootopia, Star Wars, The Greatest Showman, The Muppets, The Mandalorian, Frozen 1 and 2, and Toy Story 1-4.
? Which devices can I watch Disney+ on?
You can watch Disney+ on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Roku, smart TVs, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Apple TV. On desktops and laptops, you can stream from within your browser (I used Chrome because it loaded Disney+ a little bit quicker than Firefox). On other devices, you’ll need to install the Disney+ app from your app store. To make it easier to unblock Disney+ on your operating system, I’ve included a list of the devices that each VPN is compatible with in my reviews.
? Could using a VPN slow my streaming speeds or reduce the picture quality?
No — as long as you use a VPN that’s reliable for streaming. It’s normal for a VPN to slow your speeds slightly because your internet traffic is traveling further to get to the VPN server. But in reality, the difference isn’t noticeable, and it won’t reduce the quality of your stream.
If your ISP is slowing you down (or you’re watching during peak hours) a VPN can help to increase your connection speed and streaming quality. It does this by sending your traffic through a private server (instead of your ISP’s network), which bypasses network congestion and throttling. In this case, you can use a VPN to get a better picture quality when you’re watching Disney+.
? Is it legal to use a VPN to access Disney+?
Yes, it’s perfectly legal to use a VPN to access Disney+.
Although Disney+ uses geoblocks to restrict access to its content, it isn’t against the law to get around these blocks. And — if you’re in a country that normally censors streaming sites (like China) — you can use a VPN to access Disney+ anonymously.
? Which countries is Disney+ available in?
Disney+ is available in the US, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, the UK, Australia, the Netherlands, and more.
But what if it’s not in your country yet? Don’t worry, there’s an easy solution: You can use a VPN to trick Disney+ into thinking that you’re from one of the locations where it’s broadcasting. This is easy to do, and it means you can watch your favorite Disney shows and movies no matter where you are.
? Can Disney+ be used on multiple devices?
Yes, you can watch Disney+ on up to 4 devices at a time. Plus, you can create up to 7 user accounts to keep track of your individual watchlists, favorited movies, and recommendations. Disney+ will recommend new content to you based on what you’ve watched in the past, so this is handy because your recommendations won’t be altered by anyone else’s viewing history.
But keep in mind that you need a VPN that offers multiple device connectionsto unblock Diney+ on more than one screen. Otherwise, the people sharing your account won’t be able to access it when you’re watching.
? Are Disney+ movies in HD or 4K?
Disney+ movies can be watched in both HD and 4K. However, only a limited number of titles are in 4K (about 120 movies) and you’ll have to stream on a 4K-compatible screen. You will also need fast download speeds (above 25 Mbps). All of the VPNs on my list are fast enough for streaming in 4K.
? Does Disney+ block VPNs?
Yes. Most streaming platforms (like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+) try to block VPNs. Because of licensing agreements, not all content can be broadcasted in every country. Disney+ uses these blocks to restrict you from accessing content that’s not available in your country.
However, the VPNs I’ve shortlisted are constantly upgrading their technology to bypass detection (plus they offer money-back guarantees so you can try them out risk-free). This means that you won’t have any issues bypassing these blocks to watch the Disney shows you want.
Note that not all VPN providers can afford to invest in this technology so you should choose carefully. I recommend using money-back guarantees to test the VPNs out for yourself before you commit to a subscription.
? Can you watch live sports on Disney+?
Unfortunately, you can’t watch live sports on Disney+. While Disney+ offers a bundle where you can get its subscription with Hulu and ESPN, it requires you to turn on your geolocation settings. You also have to grant the website access to your location before you can watch ESPN. By doing that, you bypass your VPN and reveal your real location — restricting your access to Disney+ (and if you deny it access, it blocks you anyway). However, there is an easy way to watch ESPN from anywhere, too.
The Bottom Line
It’s hard to find a VPN that can unblock Disney+ and let you watch in high definition without lag. Disney+ blocks most VPNs — but the services on my list are fast, easy-to-use, and have thousands of servers that can access Disney+.
Based on my tests, I recommend ExpressVPN because it gave me fast speeds and let me watch my favorite Disney+ movies in HD on several devices without a problem. You can give it a try risk-free — if you don’t like it, you can ask for a refund within 30 days.
To summarize, here are the best VPNs for Disney+
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.