5 Best VPNs for Ecuador in 2022 for Safety, Speed & Streaming
- The Best VPNs for Ecuador — Full Analysis (Updated in 2022)
- ExpressVPN — Secure Encryption to Keep you Safe In and Outside Ecuador
- IPVanish — Unlimited Simultaneous Connections to Protect All Your Devices
- CyberGhost — Optimized Servers for Seamless Streaming, Torrenting, and Gaming
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — No Logging Policy for Online Privacy
- PrivateVPN — Multiple Tunneling Protocols to Deter Snoops
- Quick Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for Ecuador
- Tips on How to Choose the Best VPN for Ecuador
- FAQs on Using a VPN in Ecuador
- The Bottom Line
Between the government and cybercriminals, your internet safety and privacy are at risk in Ecuador.
The government monitors online activity and arrests journalists for making political statements. It’s also not unusual for authorities to censor content.
Using a VPN gives you safe and unrestricted internet access. VPNs conceal your activities from snoops and protect you against cyberattacks on Ecuador’s public WiFi hotspots.
If you choose a service with local and international servers, you’ll be able to access both global and Ecuadorian content from anywhere in the world.
My team and I tested over 70 VPNs, and we found ExpressVPN to be ideal for Ecuador. It’s fast, secure, and has thousands of servers for unblocking content in Ecuador and around the world.
You can even try ExpressVPN out for yourself risk-free as it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN — My top VPN for Ecuador because of its robust security and fast speeds for safely unblocking content in and outside of the country. Try ExpressVPN in confidence (it's backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee).
- IPVanish — High-level protection and Unlimited simultaneous connections so that you can cover all your devices.
- CyberGhost — Optimized servers for streaming, torrenting, and gaming, but its short-term plans are costly.
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Solid no-logs policy and kill switch to protect your privacy, but it’s not compatible with gaming consoles.
- PrivateVPN — Multiple security protocols to tailor your VPN experience, but small server network.
The Best VPNs for Ecuador — Full Analysis (Updated in 2022)
Each of these VPNs gives you fast, secure connections in Ecuador. They all have servers either in or near Ecuador for accessing local content while abroad. They also have huge global networks for unblocking websites and services you should rightfully have access to.
Even better, each one comes with a tried-and-tested money-back guarantee so you can try them out risk-free.
- Server speed and location: The fastest VPN for Ecuador with 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including Ecuador
- Security capability: 256-bit military-grade encryption and multiple security protocols
- Data privacy: Zero-logs policy and a kill switch
- Money-back guarantee: 30 days
- Can stream local and global content: Netflix (US & Ecuador), Disney+, Ecuavisa, Amazon Prime Video, Teleamazonas, TC Televisión, HBO Max, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and more
ExpressVPN safeguards your data using AES 256-bit military-grade encryption and watertight tunneling protocols. While testing ExpressVPN on my Android phone, I found its proprietary protocol (Lightway) to provide excellent security without slowing me down.
My IP address and DNS requests remained private with leak protection and an automatic kill switch (Network Lock), which disconnects you from the internet if your VPN connection unexpectedly drops.
It’s also one of the few VPNs that can offer you an Ecuadorian IP address. This means you can watch TC Television while overseas. I also accessed my Netflix US, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer accounts while in Ecuador, thanks to a network of 3,000 servers in 94 countries.
My speeds were fast enough for UHD streaming on Netflix and other heavy browsing activities like online gaming. I didn't experience any buffering or lags on any of these servers, including ones far from my actual location. Due to unlimited bandwidth allowance, ExpressVPN works well even if your internet service provider throttles speed (deliberately limiting bandwidth and slowing speed, which costs you more).
I secured all my devices using the 5 connection limit the VPN allows per license. ExpressVPN is compatible with most operating systems. Its MediaStreamer feature even allows you to use the VPN on devices that commonly do not support VPNs like SmartTVs and gaming consoles. It worked fine on my Samsung SmartTV — which is great because I love streaming on large-sized screens.
The VPN’s customer support is available 24/7 via live chat and email. I received prompt responses whenever I inquired about the VPN's features.
You can try ExpressVPN without risk (it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee). I tested its money-back policy to see how easy it is to get your refund. After using it for 4 weeks, I asked (via live chat) to be refunded because I no longer needed the service. It took 3 minutes to process my request (no questions asked), and the money was in my bank account in 3 days.
- Server speed and location: Reliable speeds and 2,000 servers in 75 countries
- Security capability: High-level encryption
- Data privacy: A no-logging policy and a kill switch
- Money-back guarantee: 30 days
- Can stream regional and global content: Netflix, Disney+, Ecuavisa, Amazon Prime Video, Teleamazonas, TC Televisión, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Chrome, and more
You can secure all your devices with IPVanish because it allows Unlimited simultaneous connections. My team and I tested IPVanish on all our office devices and didn’t see a drop in performance.
My app came with a kill switch to disconnect me from the internet if the VPN failed for any reason (though I never experienced any connection failures). Combined with the DNS leak protection, AES 256-bit encryption, and a zero-logs policy, the VPN has solid features to keep your privacy intact. I used public WiFi in Ecuador with peace of mind because the VPN shielded me from cybercriminals.
International content streaming is also well supported on IPVanish, with a global network of 2,000 servers in 75 countries. I unblocked my Netflix US, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max accounts. Even though it doesn’t have servers in Ecuador, closeby servers in Colombia and Peru still offer fast and bufferless streaming on Ecuavisa and TC Television.
The unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds of IPVanish ensure you get smooth streaming and torrenting. It proved convenient for torrenting since I could back up my downloads using its 500GB encrypted file storage feature, SugarSync. Once I synced my devices on the SugarSync cloud, I had the flexibility of accessing my files from any of them.
I found IPVanish easy to install and use, even for beginners. Its intuitive interface allows you to connect with very minimal configuration. The customer support staff is within reach 24/7 to help resolve any challenges you might face.
Use IPVanish for free and claim a refund if it doesn’t satisfy you (its annual plan is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee). I went the extra mile and asked for a refund to ensure you get your money with no hassle. First, I canceled my subscription (from the website), then contacted its staff on live chat to ask for a refund. The money was back in my PayPal account after 5 days!
- Server speed and location: Server speeds are good for HD streaming. 8,002 servers in 91 countries
- Security capability: Robust security protocols and automatic WiFi protection
- Data privacy: Zero logs policy and IPv6/DNS leak protection
- Money-back guarantee: 45 days
- Can stream regional and global content: Netflix US, Disney +, Ecuavisa, Amazon Prime Video, Teleamazonas, TC Televisión, HBO Max, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Chrome, Firefox, and more
CyberGhost takes the forefront in streaming with its servers optimized for Netflix US, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, and other platforms. I tested these CyberGhost servers and observed that they are fast enough for HD viewing. I didn’t experience any loading delays, partly also because CyberGhost permits unlimited bandwidth usage.
It also has servers optimized for gaming and P2P traffic. I found all of the optimized servers in a handy, searchable list on my app. Each one is labeled according to which service or activity it works best with.
Although it doesn’t have servers in Ecuador, CyberGhost operates 8,002 servers in 91 countries. Some are nearby in Colombia, Venezuela, Costa Rica, and Panama. These servers displayed good speeds as well. I lost only 8% of my connection speed, and the quality of streaming remained high.
The VPN integrates many layers of security to protect you over private and public networks in Ecuador. Its OpenVPN protocol and AES 256-bit encryption provide safe tunneling for all your traffic while always keeping your IP address hidden. Moreover, its automatic kill switch and leak protection prevent your sensitive data from being exposed.
You can roam safely on public WiFi in Ecuador, courtesy of automatic WiFi protection. The feature launches the VPN whenever it detects a new network. I found it helpful because it protected me in the moments I forgot to switch on my VPN.
The strict no-logs policy also ensures the VPN won’t store or hand over any of your data to Ecuadorian authorities.
CyberGhost’s monthly plans are expensive, but buying its yearly plan saves you a lot of money. With a single subscription, you get up to 7 connections — I found this enough to protect all my devices.
You can try CyberGhost risk-free since it offers a 45-day money-back guarantee. My credit card refund came 5 days after canceling my 6-month subscription.
- Server speed and location: Fast connections with 29,650 servers in 84 countries
- Security capability: High-caliber encryption protocols
- Data privacy: Uses a no-logging policy and IP leak protection
- Money-back guarantee: 30 days
- Can stream local and global content: Netflix US, Disney +, Ecuavisa, Amazon Prime Video, Teleamazonas, TC Televisión, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Chrome, Firefox, and more
PIA is a privacy-focused VPN that keeps your browsing activities and identity anonymous. Because of its strict no-logging policy, snoopers can’t steal your data as the VPN never collects any. I used PIA confidently on public networks in Ecuador thanks to its leak protection and kill switch.
My tests also found PIA convenient for streaming as it operates a vast network of 29,650 servers in 84 countries. I didn't have problems unblocking geo-restricted content on my Netflix and Disney+ accounts. There are also servers in Venezuela, Brazil, and Panama to facilitate content access on Ecuavisa and Teleamazonas.
The VPN was fast and steady during testing, allowing my videos to play buffer-free. As a general principle, VPNs with more servers tend to face less congestion, thus offering better speed (though not guaranteed). So, PIA’s fast and consistent speeds didn’t come as a shock, given its number of servers.
PIA allows 10 simultaneous connections, so I found myself with extra slots to share after securing my 7 devices with 1 account. While the VPN wouldn’t work on my gaming consoles, it worked on my Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices.
Installing and using the VPN is straightforward due to its simple interface with self-explanatory prompts. The 24/7 customer support service quickly handled any issues I faced during setup.
You can try PIA for free for a short time and ask for a refund if it doesn’t impress you (it's backed by 30-day money-back guarantee). Asking for a refund takes less than 5 minutes. I filled out a contact form through customer support and requested the refund (order number is required). I received an email instantly acknowledging the refund request. It was reflected in my credit card 7 days later.
- Server speed and location: 200 fast servers in 63 countries
- Security capability: Secure protocols and AES 256-bit encryption
- Data privacy: No-logs policy, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection
- Money-back guarantee: 30 days
- Can stream local and global content: Netflix US, Disney +, Ecuavisa, Amazon Prime Video, Teleamazonas, TC Televisión, HBO Max, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, and more
PrivateVPN’s sophisticated security gives you protection from cyber threats and online surveillance in Ecuador. Its AES 256-bit encryption is the best industry standard for routing traffic safely. My app also gave me a choice of secure protocols, including OpenVPN and IKEv2, PPTP, and L2TP/IPSec.
I didn’t detect any leaks while testing PrivateVPN. It’s armed with a kill switch feature to stop your device from accessing the internet if your connection to the server drops abruptly. The VPNs no-logs policy means no record of your online activity is kept, handed over, or used to profile you.
Even though its network of 200 servers in 63 countries looks relatively small, PrivateVPN servers in Panama, Colombia, and Brazil can get you access to Teleamazonas and Ecuavisa. I used the VPN to access my Netflix US and BBC iPlayer accounts while in Ecuador and streamed buffer-free with no issues.
You get up to 10 simultaneous devices with one plan. PrivateVPN worked well on all my devices, including Linux, Kodi, and Raspberry Pi. The apps I tested had a sleek and intuitive design, allowing you to set up without much assistance. Customer support is available for 22 hours a day — I was even connected directly to a developer.
You can try PrivateVPN for free and get a full refund if you’re not satisfied with its performance. Just make sure you ask for the money within the 30 days indicated on its money-back guarantee. I got my refund (after 7 days) by logging into my PrivateVPN account and filling the Contact Us form. Though I had to give a reason for canceling the service, my request was processed and confirmed within 1 hour.
Quick Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for Ecuador
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has secure encryption and unblocks content in and outside Ecuador.
- Connect to a server. Find a server in the country that has the content you want to access. For example, connect to a server in Ecuador to watch shows on Ecuavisa.
- Start browsing! You can now browse, safe and secured by the VPN.
Tips on How to Choose the Best VPN for Ecuador
After testing 70 VPNs, I found the best ones for Ecuador. However, if you want additional peace of mind when comparing VPNs, you can use my list of criteria below to find one suited to your specific needs:
- Robust security features — Prioritize safety by choosing a VPN with the AES 256-bit military-grade encryption and industry-standard protocols.
- Data Privacy — The best VPNs follow a no-logs policy and prevent data exposure with a kill switch and IP/DNS/WebRTC leak protection.
- Global server network — Servers in Ecuador and the Americas region allow you to watch content on TC Televisión, Teleamazonas, or Ecuavisa. Worldwide servers assist with streaming content on international services.
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth — These will ensure you have a smooth streaming and gaming experience, even if your internet service provider intentionally slows down your connection (throttling).
- Supported devices and multiple simultaneous connections — Choose a VPN that supports a wide variety of devices and permits numerous connections at a time for flexibility.
- Customer support — Representatives should be resourceful and available at least 20 hours a day to solve your problems.
- Money-back guarantee — Get a VPN that allows you to use the service risk-free so that if you don’t like it, you can get your money (in full) without difficulties.
FAQs on Using a VPN in Ecuador
Why do you need a VPN for Ecuador?
You’re not guaranteed online anonymity or freedom in Ecuador. ISPs share your IP addresses with the Ecuadorian regulator while the government monitors citizens' online activity and censors some sites and services.
If you use public WiFi hotspots in the country, you’re also vulnerable to cyberattacks from hackers exploiting these unsecured networks.
VPNs keep your identity and online activity private while also protecting you against cybercriminals.
Moreover, you can use a VPN to access the content you have paid for but can’t watch while traveling because of geo-restrictions imposed by the platforms. A VPN can give you access to Ecuadorian and international content — as long as you choose a service with servers in the country.
ExpressVPN is best for Ecuador because it has both global and Ecuadorian servers. That means you can stream content on Teleamazonas, TC Television, and Ecuavisa from anywhere. Plus, the VPN has robust security features that will keep your browsing habits anonymous.
Can you use a free VPN in Ecuador?
Yes, but I don’t recommend using a free VPN in Ecuador. They have security and privacy flaws, so you can’t count on their protection. For example, most do not integrate secure firewalls (to allow ads to show) or deliberately employ protocols inferior to the paid versions.
Some free services even sell your data for marketing, which isn’t good for privacy. Above all, free VPNs limit your server access, speeds, bandwidth, and data — hampering what you can do online.
This list of VPNs for Ecuador are safe to use, come with affordable plans, and won’t restrict your online activities. Each one also has a watertight refund policy, so you can test it out without risking your money.
Is it legal to use a VPN for Ecuador?
Yes, VPNs are legal in Ecuador. You won’t face legal retribution for using one. However, you can’t use them for illegal activities. Make sure you understand the laws of Ecuador to avoid getting into trouble while using a VPN.
ExpressVPN is a great choice for Ecuador as it comes with military-grade encryption and a global network of servers, including in Ecuador.
The Bottom Line
For safe and unrestricted internet access in Ecuador, you need a fast, secure VPN with a global server network. A VPN with servers in Ecuador is also a must if you want to get an Ecuador IP address while outside the country.
ExpressVPN is my number one choice for Ecuador. It’s one of the rare VPNs with servers in the country and thousands of servers worldwide for unblocking international content. It’s also highly secure and one of the fastest VPNs I’ve tested.
Plus, you can try out ExpressVPN risk-free and claim a full refund within 30 days if you’re not impressed.
To summarize, here are the best VPNs for Ecuador
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.