5 Best VPNs For Germany – For Safety, Streaming & Speeds in 2021
Are you tired of geoblocks that limit your access to Netflix, Hulu, and even YouTube in Germany? Or are you worried about ISP spying, anti-torrenting laws, data retention practices, and other threats to your privacy?
Even in a country like Germany that’s highly rated for internet freedom, if you want secure, anonymous, and unrestricted web access, you need a VPN.
If you are visiting Germany or living there temporarily, a high-quality VPN is the perfect tool to access your bank accounts and favorite websites back home. And if you live in Germany but travel abroad, you can use your VPN to watch German TV channels like ZDF and ARD.
Finding a VPN you can count on isn’t easy, however. There are hundreds of them on the market, and they range from world-class services to outright scams. We test VPNs constantly to find their strengths and expose their weaknesses.
Whether you’re in Germany and need better access to sites and services around the world, or outside Germany and want to reach all the best German web content, these are the VPNs with the features and reliability you need.
Summary of the Best VPNs for Germany
- CyberGhostCyberGhost makes using a VPN simple, with feature-rich and user-friendly apps that make no compromises when it comes to privacy, security, and online freedom.
- NordVPNAn all-inclusive VPN with a unique mix of advanced security, privacy protection, and easy access to blocked content, NordVPN is a solid choice in any country.
- ExpressVPNExpressVPN delivers unbeatable connection speeds for streaming and torrenting, along with tight security standards and easy-to-use apps for all platforms.
- PrivateVPNA small but highly efficient VPN, PrivateVPN offers all the features you’re likely to need at attractive prices.
- IPVanishIPVanish is a great choice for gadget-loving German travelers, offering quick access to Netflix and German streaming channels on up to 10 devices at once.
Why You Need a Good VPN for Germany
The primary challenges German internet users face are privacy threats, access limitations, and torrenting restrictions. Here’s a look at how the right VPN can solve all of these problems.
Since Germany became part of the 14-Eyes intelligence-sharing alliance, it has been standard practice for German ISPs to keep your metadata for up to 10 weeks. Data retention laws require ISPs to turn this data over to government authorities upon request.
Like the NSA that spies on US citizens, the German Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND) monitors internet activity within the country. This surveillance increased after a number of recent terrorist attacks.
And even if the government doesn’t come after your data, search engines, websites, and your internet service provider (ISP) will.
The EU’s new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) aims to prevent ISPs and third parties from collecting your data without your permission. Unfortunately, the law has loopholes that data miners are already exploiting.
In short, if you use the internet in Germany, you have good reason to be concerned about privacy. A solid VPN keeps you safe and anonymous by changing your IP address and thoroughly encrypting your data.
Total anonymity is critical if you use torrenting sites in Germany. Torrenting itself is legal in the country, but laws against sharing copyrighted material are strict and penalties can be severe. We don’t support illegal downloading, but we do support internet freedom.
A reliable torrenting VPN that supports P2P acitivities and guarantees your anonymity with a strict no-logging policy is essential for safe torrenting. The VPN will also help protect you from viruses and other malware that malicious users unleash on P2P networks.
Geo-restrictions on streaming content
If you’ve tried to access streaming content in Germany, you know about the geoblocks that prevent you from reaching US Netflix and the BBC iPlayer. The same problem comes up if you try to watch German TV while you’re traveling outside the country.
Furthermore, access to YouTube is currently very limited in Germany, due to a dsipute between the website and the German music performing rights organization GEMA.
The good news is that in addition to protecting your privacy, top-quality VPNs for Germany give you unlimited access to your favorite content from across the globe. They use advanced server obfuscation methods to get past not only geoblocks, but also attempts by streaming sites to block VPN use.
Device security on shared networks
Finally, if you use public wi-fi in Germany, network security should be a top priority. In addition to preventing data harvesting, VPN encryption secures your connection to protect you from hackers and device hijackers who take advantage of the weak security of shared networks.
What You Should Look For in a VPN for Germany
1. Verified no-logging policy. A good VPN doesn’t store your personal data or any records of your online activity. This is especially critical if you torrent.
2. Topnotch encryption. Military-grade, AES 256-bit encryption is a must. Top VPNs reinforce this encryption with features like Double VPN and Onion over VPN, along with strong tunneling protocols (e.g. OpenVPN, IKEv2). No one, not even your ISP or fellow users of a shared wi-fi network, will be able to see what you’re doing online.
3. Servers in Germany. To access German TV networks and websites from abroad, you will need a VPN with at least one German server.
4. Servers in other countries. In order to use geo-restricted websites, you need servers in each website’s base country. For example, you’ll want US servers for Netflix and Hulu, and UK servers for the BBC.
If you’re traveling to Germany, you should also make sure your VPN has servers in your home country. This is key if you want to easily access your favorite content back home, along with your bank accounts and bill-paying services.
5. P2P support and high connection speeds. Fast servers are crucial for streaming, gaming, or torrenting. For torrenting, make certain that your VPN provider supports P2P activities and takes extra steps to protect your anonymity.
6. Advanced security features. For complete security, look for features like a kill switch, anti-DDoS attack, and DNS/IPv6 leak protection. If you need to access local services or devices directly through your normal IP, a split-tunneling feature adds a lot of value by allowing you to make those connections without turning off the VPN.
Many paid VPN services have some of these capabilities, but only the best give you everything you need for unlimited, fully private internet access in Germany.
The Best VPNs for Germany
These five providers stood out when we put VPNs for Germany to the test. Here’s why.
This Romania-based VPN is very popular for its simplicity, reliable performance, speedy and stable connections, and variety of advanced features.
CyberGhost follows a strict no-logging policy, so you’ll be well protected from both surveillance and tracking of your torrenting activity. The VPN also offers advanced encryption and additional security measures like a kill switch and DNS leak protection.
What separates CyberGhost from other VPNs is its vivid, engaging, and highly intuitive client apps for all devices. Custom modes for streaming, torrenting, and anonymous browsing are available with a single click or touch.
CyberGhost offers a large network of 3,000 servers across about 60 countries, including over 400 servers in Germany, so you’ll have no problem enjoying German TV and services anywhere you go. This provider can also easily stream US Netflix, Amazon Prime, and far more.
For the native speakers, their website also offers a German page.
On top of all that, P2P is supported and you get 7 connections per account, with a lengthy 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
A crowd favorite, NordVPN is a do-it-all VPN that provides class-A encryption, complete privacy, and access to restricted sites in Germany, the US, UK, and elsewhere at low cost.
NordVPN has a massive network of 5,000+ servers in 62 countries, with 291 servers in Germany alone. With a zero-logging policy, military-grade encryption, Double VPN, a kill switch, and leak protection, it’s an excellent choice if you want to stay under the 14-Eyes radar.
P2P is supported on specific servers, and there are other fast servers optimized for streaming with no bandwidth limits. You can use NordVPN on 6 devices at the same time, and it works on all major platforms, including routers.
This provider also offers a designated German page for native speakers.
Try it for 7 days for free or subscribe risk free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
From its location in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN advocates for internet freedom worldwide, offering a proven no-logging policy to give you peace of mind no matter what you do online.
With unlimited bandwidth and 2,000+ ultra-fast servers in 90+ countries, including 4 servers in Germany, ExpressVPN gives you a smooth, buffer-free HD streaming experience. The network also supports P2P on designated servers, one of the many reasons users love it.
ExpressVPN also uses topnotch 256-bit encryption and equips all its user-friendly apps with a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and split tunneling. This VPN will give you access to almost any restricted website on up to 3 different devices simultaneously.
It is also language-friendly, as they offer their page in German, at the ease of native speakers.
Although ExpressVPN is slightly more expensive than the others on this list, a 30-day money-back guarantee gives you a chance to decide for yourself if it’s worth its price.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
With a tight network of 100+ servers in 56 countries, including 3 servers in Germany, PrivateVPN is more than capable of opening the entire internet world for you, including all the most popular streaming services.
You can also be sure that your identity and data are protected with a no-logging policy, military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, multi-protocol support, IPv6 leak protection, and kill switches built into apps for all major devices.
With P2P support and no speed or bandwidth limits, you can download torrents and stream videos as much as you want. You can also run the VPN on up to 6 devices at the same time. For the native German speakers, their page is also offered in German.
Read our real user testimonials to learn more about this small wonder, or test it yourself using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app.
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
The IPVanish network is secured with strong AES 256-bit encryption, and you can choose from multiple protocols, including OpenVPN, IKEv2, and L2TP. The apps also include a kill switch to safeguard your data if your VPN connection ever drops.
With a network of 1,000+ servers in 60+ countries, including 57 servers in Germany, IPVanish is well equipped to get you almost anywhere you want to go online. You’ll have no trouble accessing restricted services in Germany, along with US Netflix and YouTube.
There are two drawbacks of IPVanish we should mention, however. First, it isn’t 100% reliable for access to Hulu, Amazon prime, or the BBC iPlayer. Second, the provider did keep some data logs in the past. New ownership claims that a strict no-logs policy is now in place.
Unlimited P2P with anonymous torrenting is another plus, as is the responsive 24/7 live chat support. See what users have to say about IPVanish, or take it for a spin using the 7-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish can unblock:
- Netflix, BBC iPlayer.
IPVanish works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, FireTV, Windows Phone, Linux, Chromebook, Routers.
During the decades since World War II, Germany has reinvented itself to become a land of freedom and commitment to the greater good. Nevertheless, internet users in Germany face many privacy threats and access limitations.
From the Bavarian Alps to the North Sea, these VPNs will protect every time you go online, while unblocking restricted content from all around the world. And if you give in to your wanderlust and travel outside Germany, they’ll keep you connected to your favorite German sites and shows.
At vpnMentor, we don’t just test VPNs, we also search every corner of the internet so you can get the hottest VPN deals. It’s just another part of our mission to put the entire worldwide web at everyone’s fingertips.
You May Also Like:
To summarize, the best VPNs for Germany in 2021 are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend NordVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 68% off.
Privacy Alert box - content - Popular posts