5 Best VPNs for Google Nest WiFi Routers in 2024: Easy Setup
- Best VPNs for Google Nest WiFi Routers — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Easy Setup to Secure Your Google Nest WiFi Immediately
- CyberGhost — Optimized Servers for Streaming Using Your Google Nest Router
- Private Internet Access — Large Server Network to Connect Your Google Nest to Any Location
- NordVPN — Strong Security to Protect all Devices Connected to Your Google Nest WiFi
- Surfshark — High-Speed Servers to Stream From Your Google Nest Router Without Buffering
- Quick Comparison Table: Compare the key features of our top Google Nest WiFi VPNs
- How to Set Up a Google Nest WiFi Router With a VPN
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Google Nest WiFi Routers
- FAQs on the Best VPNs for Google Nest WiFi
- Get the Best VPN for Google Nest WiFi Routers
Nest WiFi routers aren't compatible with VPNs; you must pair yours with a VPN-enabled router. The problem is some VPNs don't work on routers. Many are complex to set up and use, while others aren't secure, private, or fast enough.
My team and I tested 50+ VPNs and found the best ones for your Nest WiFi router. The ones shortlisted are compatible and easy to use with various Google routers and provide top-of-the-line encryption to keep your data safe. They also won't noticeably slow you down — you can watch your favorite movies and shows on Netflix, Max, and Disney+ without buffering.
My top recommendation is ExpressVPN. It’s secure, fast, and user-friendly with its customer router app, plus it has a massive server network to quickly bypass geo-restrictions. It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try ExpressVPN on your Google Nest WiFi router risk-free.
Important. The Google Nest WiFi router doesn't come with built-in VPN support. To shield devices connected to Nest WiFi with a VPN, you'll need another router that supports VPN setups. Configure the VPN on this primary router, then connect your Google Nest WiFi. This way, the Nest WiFi routes its traffic through the VPN-enabled router, granting devices both the connectivity of the Nest WiFi and the security of the VPN.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Google Nest WiFi Routers in 2024
- Editor's ChoiceExpressVPN
Easy-to-set-up dedicated router apps, plus its secure, fast, and reliable for streaming.70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
Streaming-optimized servers to reliably access popular platforms on Google Nest WiFi.
- Private Internet Access
Huge server network, ideal for accessing geoblocked content with Google Nest.
Advanced security for Google Nest WiFi without compromising speeds.
High-speed server network to stream and download without lag.
Best VPNs for Google Nest WiFi Routers — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Custom router firmware with a user-friendly interface
|Netgear, Asus, TPLink, DD-WRT, Tomato, Synology, Sabai, Linksys, D-Link, and more
|3,000 servers in 105 countries to connect your Google Nest WiFi to any location
|Up to 8 device connections under one subscription
ExpressVPN stands out because of its custom firmware for the most popular router models. You can also get a router with ExpressVPN pre-installed, and it even developed its own VPN router, Aircove, which is easy to set up and use. Aircove lets you connect to up to 5 locations at a time, and switching between servers is straightforward. You can sort your devices into separate groups and even exclude some from the VPN tunnel.
With its large server network, you can unblock your accounts from anywhere. I had no problem accessing my Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+ subscriptions while traveling outside the US. ExpressVPN is also incredibly fast, which is great for uninterrupted streaming. During my tests, I had an average speed drop of only 5% on nearby servers.
To keep your Google Nest WiFi router protected, ExpressVPN has some of the best security features in the industry, including 256-bit AES encryption and the Lightway protocol, designed for maximum speed and security. The router apps also include a kill switch, which automatically disconnects you from the internet if your VPN accidentally drops (although this never happened to me). Plus, your real location is kept private with IPv6 and DNS leak protection.
My only issue is its price, which starts at $6.67/month. However, ExpressVPN regularly offers discounts and deals to help you save. I paid 49% less on its long-term plan and got 3 months of service for free. It also has a for 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it without risk. I asked for a refund through the 24/7 live chat, and I had my money back in my bank account after 3 days.
- MediaStreamer SmartDNS service. If you don’t want to use an additional router, you only need to retrieve your MediaStreamer IP addresses from ExpressVPN’s website and then use them to connect your Google Nest. While it doesn’t offer the same level of security as the regular VPN, it does let you change your IP address (to US and UK) for streaming.
- Device Groups. This lets you create up to 5 groups for your devices and connect each group to a different server location. You can simply drag and drop your device into another group anytime.
- Smart Location. You can set up your router to automatically pick the best server based on your location and network conditions.
- Obfuscation. Disguises your VPN traffic as regular internet traffic, making it harder for network administrators or ISPs to detect and block a VPN on your Google Nest WiFi network.
|Unblock your favorite streaming platform with just 2 clicks
|Netgear, Asus, TP-Link, DD-WRT, Tomato, Synology, Linksys, and more
|11,690 servers in 100 countries, including ones optimized for gaming and torrenting
|Up to 7 device connections under one subscription
CyberGhost's dedicated servers allow you to access the most popular streaming platforms from anywhere. If you're like me and have various devices connected to your network — Smart TVs, gaming consoles, tablets, etc. — the VPN's streaming servers ensure you can use any of these devices to watch your favorite movies and TV shows. These servers are regularly tested to make sure they work. I took only seconds to unblock my Sling TV account on my Android smart TV and watch the NFL in real time.
Streaming-optimized servers are also tailored to provide the bandwidth and speed necessary for a smooth streaming experience. My average download speed on nearby servers never dropped by more than 10%. Even when connected to a server 10,000 km away from my location in London, I could watch Netflix US in picture-perfect quality.
CyberGhost secures your network data using AES 256-bit encryption and incorporates a built-in NAT firewall, ensuring only the requested data is delivered to your device. It also follows a strict no-logs policy, which means your personal details are never stored or shared. One limitation is its lack of a kill switch feature for routers. However, it safeguards your online identity and activities from accidental exposure through its leak protection.
You can get a long-term subscription for only $2.03/month, plus it comes with an extended money-back guarantee. So, you can try Cyberghost with your Google nest free for 45 days. If you don’t like it, you can get a full refund.
- Smart DNS codes in 6 locations. This is useful if you want to unblock streaming content with your Google Nest and don't need encryption. Enter the code in your Nest's settings, and you're ready.
- Straightforward installation. I had CyberGhost running on my first router in less than 15 minutes. Thanks to the guides on its website, you can set it up on your router and get started with the Google Nest device in no time.
- Reliable customer service. You can get help 24/7 via live chat, but there are also extensive guides in its knowledge base.
- VPN pre-installed routers. Like ExpressVPN, CyberGhost also has a partnership with FlashRouters. You can get a router with CyberGhost already installed and don't have to waste time configuring it.
3. Private Internet Access — Large Server Network to Connect Your Google Nest to Any Location
|Worldwide servers for accessing local and international sites on your Google Nest WiFi device
|Netgear, Asus, TPLink, DD-WRT, Linksys, pfSense, Merlin, and more
|29,650servers in 91 countries to avoid delays due to overcrowding
|Unlimiteddevice connections under one subscription
With so many servers worldwide, you can tailor your online experience by connecting to a specific region. For example, choose a server closest to you for improved gaming ping. This way, you can have an optimal connection wherever you are. I tested 10 of its US servers and played Final Fantasy XVI without lag — Cid responded to all my commands immediately.
A wide range of server options also means user load is well distributed. This reduced congestion can lead to optimal connection speeds and better overall performance. My speeds went from 109Mbps to 95Mbps on a closeby server in New York, which is almost unnoticeable. PIA’s server network has also been optimized for 10Gbps connections, so you can use it for fast browsing and streaming on your Google Nest WiFi network.
Your privacy is protected with strong security protocols (including OpenVPN and WireGuard) and AES 256-bit. The only downside I noted is that it’s based in the US, with strict data-sharing laws. However, it doesn’t keep any logs, so you can stay anonymous online.
PIA also has a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it risk-free. I requested a refund via 24/7 live chat to see if it would keep its promise. After a 5-minute chat, answering some questions about my experience, they canceled my subscriptions and issued a refund. I had all my money returned to my credit card within a week.
- Split tunneling. With split tunneling, you can decide which apps or devices connected to your router use the VPN and which connect directly to the internet. This selective routing ensures that only essential data goes through the encrypted tunnel, leaving less critical data for the standard connection.
- Easy router setup. You can install PIA on your existing router without technical expertise. Simply follow its step-by-step online guide.
|IP/DNS leak protection and an independently audited no-logs policy and
|Netgear, Asus, TPLink, DD-WRT, Tomato, Synology, Sabai, Linksys, D-Link, and more
|6,105 servers in 61 countries to access your home country's content abroad
|Up to 6 device connections under one subscription
NordVPN keeps your online activities private and secure with AES-256 encryption and a strict no-logs policy. It provides a solid foundation for protecting your entire Google Nest WiFi network.
Its extensive server coverage allows you to find a location close to you for the fastest connection, no matter where you are. Although it’s a bit slower than the other VPNs on my list, my speed only dropped by around 24% connected to a server in Canada. I watched The Great in HD without any buffering. So, it’s a solid choice if you want to stream using your Nest WiFi network.
I found NordVPN really reliable for unblocking streaming services, too. I could access my Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer accounts without issues.
Unfortunately, NordVPN doesn't offer a dedicated router app, meaning you'll need to install and configure the VPN on your router manually. While this requires some technical know-how, its website provides detailed setup guides to assist you through the process. Additionally, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it risk-free.
- Dedicated IP. A dedicated IP for your Google Nest WiFi router provides a fixed and consistent IP address, enabling secure remote access, advanced network management, and enhanced security features.
- Smart DNS. Although smart DNS doesn’t encrypt your data, you can use it to change your Nest WiFi router’s virtual location without having to install it on a second router.
|10Gbps servers for the best speeds on your Google Nest WiFi
|Netgear, Asus, DD-WRT, Tomato, Synology, Sabai, Linksys, D-Link, and more
|3,200 servers in 100 countries to quickly get around geoblocks
|Unlimited device connections under one subscription
After ExpressVPN, Surfshark was the second fastest VPN I tested, making it a top choice for Google Nest WiFi routers. My download speeds dropped by only 6% on the local UK servers I tested. I didn’t experience buffering or lag with any of the servers I tried.
There's also a wide range of server options for your Google Nest WiFi router. Its expansive network allows you to access popular streaming services. Plus, with a network of this size, if one server experiences issues, you can switch to another server in the same location, ensuring uninterrupted internet access.
It offers strong security and privacy features, like AES-256 encryption and multiple security protocols. I was concerned that Surfshark is based in the Netherlands, a member of the 14 Eyes Alliance. However, it operates under a strict no-logs policy, meaning no one can see what you're doing online.
Additionally, Surfshark backs its service with a reliable 30-day money-back guarantee. This means you can try out its service risk-free and receive a refund if unsatisfied.
- WireGuard protocol. This is a modern and efficient VPN protocol known for its simplicity and high-speed performance.
- Detailed installation guides. Thanks to its beginner-friendly instructions, it's easy to set Surfshark up on any router.
Quick Comparison Table: Compare the key features of our top Google Nest WiFi VPNs
Since you can’t install a VPN on a Google Nest WiFi router, you’ll need to use a dual router setup with a router that can support the VPN you choose and connect your Nest to that. Some VPNs come with a dedicated router app that makes them really easy to use on routers. Others can be installed manually on some router models. For a quick side-by-side comparison, review the table below:
How to Set Up a Google Nest WiFi Router With a VPN
Google Nest WiFi routers aren't directly compatible with VPNs. Therefore, you'll need to set up a VPN on your regular router and connect the Google Nest to it through a WAN cable. Here’s how it’s done:
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for its user-friendly router app, excellent speeds, and extensive server network. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free, since it's backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Download the VPN firmware. Look for the correct firmware by checking the model number on the back of your router. Then, find the download link for your router model on ExpressVPN’s website.
- Copy the activation code. You're going to need it for the setup process.
- Access your router’s settings. Go to your router settings using the default gateway written on its back and choose the Firmware Upgrade tab in the administrator options.
- Install the firmware. Look for the firmware you downloaded earlier and upload it to your router. Keep in mind that this may void your router’s warranty.
- Connect to the router. After finishing the installation, connect to your router’s WiFi network.
- Finish the setup. Open ExpressVPN’s router setup page and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
- Connect the Google Nest WiFi router. Use a WAN cable to do this.
- Access the router’s settings and configure it. The next step is to change the IP address of the Nest to 192.168.2.xxx by using the Google Home app. Finally, enable DHCP.
- Start browsing. Your Google Nest WiFi router is ready.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Google Nest WiFi Routers
By applying the same criteria I used in my evaluation, you can confidently select a VPN that meets your specific needs and requirements. Here are the key features you should look out for when choosing a VPN for your Google Nest WiFi router:
- Router compatibility. Look for VPN providers that offer dedicated router apps or support manual installation on the router you want to connect to your Google Nest WiFi.
- Easy to use. Choose a VPN that offers a smooth setup process and a hassle-free experience. This way, you can use it for your Google Nest WiFi router even if you’re a beginner.
- Global network. A diverse server network helps you to access content from different regions. Additionally, having servers in close proximity to your physical location can improve connection speeds.
- Speed. Optimal connection speeds are crucial for a seamless online experience. Look for VPN services that prioritize fast and reliable connections.
- Security and privacy. Look for VPNs that offer strong encryption and secure VPN protocols. Additionally, features like a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a strict no-logs policy are important for maintaining your privacy.
- Money-back guarantee. Consider providers with longer refund periods, typically 30 days, as it gives you ample time to evaluate the VPN's performance with your Google Nest WiFi router.
FAQs on the Best VPNs for Google Nest WiFi
Can I use a free VPN on my router?
A free VPN on your router is possible, but it might compromise your privacy. Most free VPNs aren't compatible with routers, and often have limitations such as data caps, slower speeds, and fewer server locations. A reputable VPN with a money-back guarantee that offers dedicated router support is a better alternative for a more reliable and secure connection.
Additionally, free VPNs may not provide the encryption and privacy features to ensure robust protection for your entire network.
Will a VPN router slow down my speed?
Yes, using a VPN router can impact your internet speed. Since a VPN encrypts and reroutes your internet traffic, there may be a decrease in speed. However, with a premium VPN the drop is unnoticeable, usually only 10-20%. The extent of this slowdown depends on factors like the VPN provider, server location, and your internet connection's baseline speed.
Can I install a VPN directly on my Google Nest WiFi Router?
No, because its firmware is not compatible with VPNs. However, you can install a VPN on a regular router and connect the Google Nest WiFi to it. The installation process is simple, and you can set your router up in under 30 minutes.
Is it legal to use Google Nest WiFi with a VPN?
Using a VPN on any device, including Google Nest WiFi routers, is legal in most countries. Most people use VPN for enhancing privacy, securing data, and accessing accounts from overseas. However, in some regions (like China), VPNs are blocked or illegal to use. So, you may need to check the rules in your location before using one.
Are there any Google Nest WiFi Alternatives with built-in VPN support?
Yes. If you haven’t bought your Nest WiFi router already, there are many other routers that support VPNs. The best alternative is ExpressVPN’s Aircove router.
Get the Best VPN for Google Nest WiFi Routers
Although you can’t install a VPN on your Google Nest WiFi router, there’s an easy solution for protecting your network and changing your IP. All you need is an additional router and a reliable VPN. All the VPNs I shortlisted provide you with a fast and secure online experience, so you can browse, stream, and even download files without interruptions.
ExpressVPN is my top recommendation for protecting your Google Nest WiFi. It offers a pre-configured router and native router apps. Plus, it has military-grade encryption and a strict no-logs policy. Thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee, you can also test ExpressVPN risk-free and see if it’s right for securing your Google Nest Wifi router.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for Google Nest WiFi Routers...
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.