5 Best VPNs for Iceland in 2024 for Speed & Privacy
- Best VPNs for Iceland — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Lightway Protocol Gives You Fast Speeds for UHD Streaming and Extra Security in Iceland
- CyberGhost — Optimized Servers for Smooth Streaming, Gaming, and Torrenting in Iceland
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable Features to Balance Online Speed and Security in Iceland
- NordVPN — Specialty Servers for Different Online Activities in Iceland
- Surfshark — Unlimited Simultaneous Connections to Protect All Your Devices in Iceland
- Quick Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for Iceland in 3 Easy Steps
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Iceland
- FAQs on Using a VPN for Iceland
Whether you live in Iceland or are planning a visit, a VPN can protect your sensitive data and keep you connected to your usual online services. But finding one that lives up to its marketing hype is tough, especially with so many VPNs making similar claims about being the fastest and safest options.
To make your search easier, I extensively tested over 70 VPN services with my team and found the best VPNs for Iceland. They have large server networks that can access both international and Icelandic websites and apps. My top picks also had fast speeds for buffer-free streaming, gaming, social media, browsing, and more.
Out of every VPN I tried for Iceland, ExpressVPN is my top recommendation. It has servers worldwide, including in Iceland, consistently fast speeds, robust security features, and reliable unblocking abilities. Plus, the 30-day money-back guarantee means you can try ExpressVPN risk-free.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Iceland in 2024
- ExpressVPN — Best overall choice for Iceland. It offers fast speeds on long- and short-distance servers with its Lightway protocol, military-grade encryption, and a global server network, including a server location in Iceland. You can also test it out for 30 days in Iceland.
- CyberGhost — A worldwide network of servers for using global and Icelandic sites. Plus, it has excellent speeds to watch your favorite shows with no buffering in HD.
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Easy-to-use app with customizable features to balance performance and security in Iceland.
- NordVPN — Enhanced specialty server options for optimized performance and security for different online activities in Iceland.
- Surfshark — Unlimited simultaneous connections to protect multiple devices with a single subscription in Iceland.
Best VPNs for Iceland — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
1. ExpressVPN — Lightway Protocol Gives You Fast Speeds for UHD Streaming and Extra Security in Iceland
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Fastest VPN I tested of the recommended VPNs, with minimal speed drops
|Security & Privacy
|Military-grade 256-bit encryption, automatic kill switch, split tunneling, IPv6/DNS/ WebRTC leak protection, Threat Manager trackers blocker, private DNS
|3,000 servers in 105 countries, including Iceland
|Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Max, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN/ESPN+, Paramount+, Apple TV, RUV, Nova TV, Hringbraut, and more
ExpressVPN’s Lightway protocol gave me consistently fast connections during all my tests. With its NY, US server, my average speed reached 99.1 Mbps. That’s only a negligible 8% drop from my base speed of 107.55 Mbps. With that kind of performance, I could always browse high-quality content without interruptions. Plus, this protocol is one of the most secure ones, so your online traffic will be safe and sound in Iceland.
I tested ExpressVPN’s network and its servers easily accessed all my usual apps. The Icelandic servers conveniently supported live TV watching on RUV and Nova TV when I tried them from Reykjavik. Plus, the server coverage across countries lets you access global content and apps from anywhere.
With RAM-only servers and TrustedServer technology, ExpressVPN makes sure that your data is cleared after each reboot. Furthermore, with its headquarters in the British Virgin Islands, outside the jurisdiction of the 5/9/14 Eyes intelligence-sharing alliances, ExpressVPN has no obligation to share any identifiable user information with other governments. Plus, there’s an audited no-logs policy to further give you peace of mind.
It's worth noting that ExpressVPN comes at a slightly higher price compared to the other VPN providers on this list. But my testing showed that it’s really worth every penny. Plus, it provides a 30-day money-back guarantee for all its plans, allowing you to try ExpressVPN risk-free confidently in Iceland. I tested the VPN for 3 weeks, canceled my subscription via the 24/7 live chat, and received a refund within 3 days.
- Smart Location. This automatically connects you to the closest and fastest server based on where you’re located, which gives you the best speeds while using the VPN in Iceland.
- Perfect Forward Secrecy. This ensures that session keys cannot be compromised even if the server's private key is hacked. As a result, each session has a unique set of encryption keys, safeguarding past sessions from future breaches in Iceland.
- MediaStreamer. ExpressVPN’s Smart DNS lets you watch content on devices that may not support native VPN apps like smart TVs and gaming consoles. This is a great feature that comes for free with any subscription plan for streaming on your big screen in Iceland.
- Choice of protocols. In addition to its proprietary Lightway protocol, you can choose between OpenVPN and IKEv2. OpenVPN is the industry standard for security, while IKEv2 is excellent for mobile devices that switch between mobile data and WiFi regularly.
|Optimized servers located around the world
|Security & Privacy
|256-bit AES encryption, OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2 protocols, an automatic kill switch, no-logs policy, IP/DNS leak protection, and located outside 5 Eyes Alliance in Romania
|11,683 regular servers in 100 countries to get a new IP
|Netflix. Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Max, ESPN/ESPN+, BBC iPlayer, Paramount+, RUV, Nova TV, Hringbraut, and more
With a menu of server options streamlined for various activities, CyberGhost is a versatile choice both in and outside Iceland. Finding the server you need for streaming, torrenting, or gaming is easy since they’re all labeled on the app. I tested many of CyberGhost's dedicated servers, and they all worked consistently.
Although CyberGhost doesn't have optimized streaming servers in Iceland, I explored its regular local Iceland servers to see how they compare. I wasn’t disappointed as I was able to watch Netflix Iceland and local popular shows like Katla and Trapped (Ófærð) while I was in Reykjavik.
I really like CyberGhost's WiFi Protection feature. By configuring the VPN to launch automatically when connecting to unknown networks, you can ensure your online safety and privacy whether you're exploring Iceland using unfamiliar networks.
CyberGhost’s short-term subscription is a bit pricey and comes with a shorter, 14-day money-back guarantee. However, its long-term plans offer a more cost-effective option. You can try CyberGhost without any financial risk, and should you feel that the service doesn’t fit your needs, there’s a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Split tunneling. This allows you to select which apps utilize the VPN and which apps use the regular unencrypted connection. So, you can safely tunnel online banking apps via the VPN while using your regular connection for everything else.
- App rules. You can add your favorite apps to a list, like Netflix, and CyberGhost automatically launches and connects to a server of your choice when you open them.
- NoSpy servers. The servers are housed in CyberGhost’s Romanian headquarters, outside the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance. Managed internally by its expert team, they provide the ultimate privacy, security, and performance in Iceland.
- Good speeds. CyberGhost gave me fast speeds on both its optimized and regular servers. On average, I only experienced around an 18% drop on different-distance servers, so you can expect a smooth performance while in Iceland.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable Features to Balance Online Speed and Security in Iceland
|Multiple adjustable security features to optimize online performance
|Security & Privacy
|Military-grade encryption, kill switch, dedicated IPs, independently audited, RAM-only servers, split tunneling
|29,650 servers in 91 countries, including servers in all US states
|Netflix, Disney+, Max, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Paramount+, ESPN/ESPN+, Hotstar India, RUV, Nova TV, and more
When I tested PIA, I could choose between the secure OpenVPN and the speedy WireGuard protocols, and even between different levels of encryption on OpenVPN connections. The default setting is 128-bit encryption, but I recommend moving it up to 256-bit for the highest level of security in Iceland.
I was impressed with PIA’s speed using the WireGuard protocol, giving me an average download speed of 82.45 Mbps. With such fast performance, I didn’t experience any long loading times on websites or while watching videos on social media.
The only concern I had with PIA is that its headquarters are in the US, a member of the 5 Eyes Alliance that share user data between them. However, you can have peace of mind knowing that it maintains an audited no-logs policy, guaranteeing that none of your identifiable data is stored or shared with any third parties.
If you’re unsatisfied with the service, PIA offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can get a full refund in the first 30 days of subscribing. I canceled my subscription and filled out the contact form to get a refund, but you can also do so via the 24/7 live chat. Confirmation was instantaneous, and I received my money back after 5 days.
- MACE. This feature blocks ads at the DNS level, eliminating pop-ups and banners to improve your browsing experience in Iceland. This also prevents access to malicious websites, which is helpful if you visit unfamiliar websites in a different language.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections. PIA allows you to use as many devices as you want with one subscription. This makes it an affordable option for larger households or to keep your whole family protected when you’re traveling to or out of Iceland.
- Identity Guard. This feature checks if your email address has been exposed to a data breach. With regular searches and customizable email alerts, you'll be promptly notified if your email address is ever compromised.
|Servers dedicated to giving you enhanced security online in Iceland
|Security & Privacy
|Military-grade encryption, automatic kill switch, audited no-logs policy, IP/DNS leak protection
|6,088 servers in 61 countries to access more sites in Iceland
|Netflix, Disney+, Max, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Paramount+, ESPN/ESPN+, RUV, Hringbraut, Nova TV, and more
NordVPN’s standout feature is its specialization in different server types. You can choose from Double VPN servers that route your traffic through 2 servers, P2P servers for torrenting, Obfuscated to hide your VPN use in Iceland, and Onion Over VPN for extra security and convenience while accessing the dark web.
In my testing, I could easily access NordVPN’s different server types through its intuitive app. Just by clicking on the respective server menu, such as P2P, I was automatically connected to the fastest optimized P2P server in just one click. This is convenient if you don’t need a specific server location to connect to while in Iceland.
With 10Gbps servers, I never had slowdowns due to limited bandwidth. I opted for the NordLynx protocol to maximize my speed, which never dropped below 80 Mbps, even on faraway US servers. My only issue was that on a few occasions, I had to try several times to connect. However, with its vast network, it only took 1–2 more tries to get a connection.
At the end of my testing, I contacted the 24/7 live chat team to cancel my subscription for a refund with the 30-day money-back guarantee. The process was straightforward, and I received the whole amount back in just 3 business days.
- Threat Protection. This feature reduces the number of pop-up ads you see and blocks malware-infected websites and trackers, similar to PIA’s MACE. It’s a great feature if you frequently use torrenting sites in Iceland, which contain an avalanche of ads. Note that it doesn’t eliminate in-video ads on YouTube or similar websites.
- Privacy-friendly headquarters. NordVPN is based in Panama, outside of the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance, which ensures that it is not obligated to share user information.
- Meshnet. It operates as a secure LAN and lets you connect devices remotely. It’s ideal for file sharing, work collaborations, and multiplayer gaming in Iceland.
|Connect as many devices as you want under a single subscription
|Security & Privacy
|Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, IP/DNS leak protection, a kill switch, OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols, CleanWeb ad and malware blocker
|3,200 servers in 100 countries to use on different devices
|Netflix, Disney+, Max, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Paramount+, ESPN/ESPN+, Hotstar India, RUV, RUV2, Nova TV, and more
One of my favorite features about Surfshark is its unlimited simultaneous connections that come with all subscription packages. This makes it an ideal choice for safeguarding your data on every device within your household and staying connected while you travel to Iceland. Plus, you don’t have to think about disconnecting a device to connect another one since there’s no limit.
There was no noticeable drop in speed when I tested Surfshark on 3 of my devices simultaneously. With my iPhone, iPad, and laptop connected to the same account, my average speed didn’t drop more than 15% below my base connection. I watched multiple news videos without experience buffering.
A minor issue is that Surfshark is based in the Netherlands, which is a part of the 9 Eyes Alliance. However, the VPN uses RAM-only servers and has a no-logs policy, which means none of your data is stored or shared with anyone.
Plus, a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee is available. If unsatisfied with the VPN, you can contact Surfshark's 24/7 live chat support, follow their instructions, and quickly get your money back.
- MultiHop servers. These servers allow you to route your traffic through two servers (similar to NordVPN’s Double VPN servers), offering an extra layer of privacy and security in Iceland. Unlike other VPNs, Surfshark MultiHop allows you to manually select the locations you want to connect through, optimizing your speeds by using servers closer to you.
- Camouflage mode. This feature hides the fact that you’re using a VPN in Iceland by obfuscating your traffic.
Quick Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for Iceland in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN. It offers super-fast speeds on its global server network via its Lightway protocol, and it includes an Iceland server location. Plus, it's backed by a 30 money-back guarantee, so you can try ExpressVPN risk-free.
- Connect to a server. Choose a country that has the site you want to access. For example, connect to servers in Iceland to securely access Icelandic news content.
- Start browsing. You now have safe, private, and unrestricted access to the internet in Iceland.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Iceland
When selecting the best VPN for Iceland, I used the criteria below to rank my top picks. You can use this checklist to evaluate your options and ensure you choose the best VPN for your needs in Iceland.
- Fast speeds. My recommended VPNs excel in delivering excellent speeds on both local and international servers. This is important because all VPNs will slow your base speeds down due to the encryption, but you need one that offers an acceptable speed drop (usually between 20–30%). That way, you’ll have a smoother online experience in Iceland.
- Global server network. I’ve only recommended VPNs with an extensive server network to reduce overcrowding which will provide greater speed reliability. Also, the more servers you have at your disposal, the more options you have to change your IP and access worldwide websites.
- Strong security and privacy. I’ve ensured that every VPN on this list offers strong leak protection and encryption to protect your online privacy in Iceland. I’ve also looked for kill switches and secure VPN protocols to keep your activity away from prying eyes.
- Excellent customer support. You might occasionally encounter issues where you’ll be unable to access your desired content in Iceland or stumble into issues. So, look for VPNs with responsive customer support, whether via email, live chat, or contact form.
- Reliable money-back guarantee. Every VPN on my list offers a tried-and-tested money-back guarantee so that you can try them risk-free.
FAQs on Using a VPN for Iceland
Can I use an Iceland VPN on my iOS device?
Yes, you can use an Iceland VPN on your iOS device, including iPhone and iPad. All of my recommended VPNs are compatible with iOS devices.
These VPN providers offer dedicated easy-to-use apps that you can quickly download from the App Store onto your iOS device. Once you have downloaded and installed the VPN app on your iOS device, simply choose a subscription plan that suits your needs.
With the app installed and your subscription activated, connecting to VPN servers in Iceland or any other country is simple. With just a few taps on your device, you'll be securely connected to your desired VPN server.
Why do I need a VPN for Iceland?
Using a VPN in Iceland is crucial for multiple reasons. Firstly, connecting to one of the top VPNs for Iceland ensures your online privacy and security by encrypting your internet traffic. This prevents anyone, including ISPs, hackers, and government agencies, from seeing your sensitive information.
Secondly, using a VPN in Iceland protects you when connecting to public WiFi networks. These networks are often vulnerable to cyber threats and sometimes let administrators to monitor your activities, making your personal data unsafe.
Additionally, a VPN helps you to access social media and other websites that may be limited to specific regions. That way, you get essential services and relevant news even when you’re abroad.
Can I use a free VPN in Iceland?
Yes, but they are not the best options to use in Iceland. Free VPN services often have limitations, potential risks, and privacy concerns compared to their premium competitors. That’s why I recommend trying a paid VPN with a money-back guarantee, which is risk-free.
Free VPN limitations usually include slower speeds, data caps, limited server locations, and potentially less robust security measures. Some free VPNs may also track and sell your data to third parties for advertising purposes, compromising your privacy. The bottom line is that It’s not worth risking your security and privacy with a free VPN.
Is it possible to watch Netflix with an Iceland VPN?
Yes, you can watch Netflix Iceland with an Iceland VPN if you’re in the country. A VPN enhances safety while watching your local Netflix library. It can also help you bypass conenction issues like ISP throttling. Just connect to a nearby Iceland server to watch in HD with online protection. However, watching Iceland Netflix from anywhere else goes against the streaming provider’s terms of service and can even amount to copyright infringement.
Can I watch Icelandic TV with an Iceland VPN?
With an Iceland VPN, you can safely watch Icelandic TV content while in the country. By connecting to an Iceland server through your VPN, your connections are instantly encrypted and privacy is enhanced. This enables you to watch local programming on channels like Nova TV, NENT, and Hringbraut with ample protection against snoops and hackers.
However, watching Icelandic TV from outside the country may violate content providers' terms of service. Make sure you understand the T&Cs of your TV platform before using a VPN to watch online.
Is using a VPN legal in Iceland?
Yes, using a VPN in Iceland is legal. No specific laws prohibit or restrict the use of VPN services in the country.
Iceland is known for its strong commitment to online privacy and freedom of expression, and individuals have the right to protect their online activities using a VPN. You can use a VPN whether you’re an Iceland resident or a tourist.
It's important to note that while VPN usage itself is legal, it's always recommended to use VPN services responsibly and adhere to the laws and regulations of the country you are in.
Get the Best VPN for Iceland
A VPN can greatly help with safeguarding your online activities and accessing sites abroad. By encrypting your internet traffic and masking your IP address, a VPN ensures that your online presence remains private and protected in and outside Iceland.
ExpressVPN is my top recommendation for Iceland. It provides servers in Iceland and worldwide, ensuring reliable and high-speed connections for intensive browsing activities. Plus, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try ExpressVPN out risk-free and decide if it’s the best option for your needs.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for Iceland
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.