5 Best VPNs For Netherlands – For Safety, Streaming & Speeds in 2021
The Netherlands has long been a popular destination to connect to when using a VPN abroad.
There are plenty of reasons to use a VPN within the country, too! Recent changes in Dutch legislation have raised some privacy concerns, and if this trend continues, the previously lax digital surveillance laws may give way to intrusive practices.
Nowadays, having a VPN in the Netherlands is seriously appealing — and almost mandatory if you want to ensure your online presence is protected. But with so many providers around, how do you land on the perfect service for your needs?
Allow us to help you out. We’ve reviewed hundreds of VPN services to bring you the definitive top-five list for the Netherlands. We’ll get to that shortly.
But first, what makes a good VPN for the Netherlands?
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for the Netherlands
- ExpressVPN — Will keep prying eyes away from your internet activity. Its unblocking capabilities go hand in hand with extra security features to guarantee your privacy.
- CyberGhost VPN — Is a great choice for beginners. Easy to use, it offers a range of apps compatible with all major devices.
- NordVPN — Is number one for speed and security. It allows torrenting and provides 24/7 support via live chat and email.
- Surfshark VPN — A great provider in terms of security that also compromises well for streaming purposes.
- PrivateVPN — Is a small VPN that manages to unblock most major streaming services.
What You Should Look for in a VPN for the Netherlands
Before May 2018, the two main purposes of VPNs in the Netherlands were related to unblocking of foreign content and extra protection.
However, the implementation of “Wet op de inlichtingen- en veiligheidsdiensten 2017” can now be added to the list of reasons. In short, this act gave the Dutch government a lot more power for surveillance and data retention. It entered into full force on May 1 2018, and if legislation continues down that road, the Netherlands may transform into an unfavorable location for the privacy-conscious, similar to the UK.
Copyright infringement is another matter institutions have been taking seriously. Now that downloading copyrighted content for your own use is no longer legal, using a VPN for various peer-to-peer activities is advised.
For Dutch expats, VPNs are also handy when it comes to watching national TV abroad. For example, you can unblock all NPO livestreams and enjoy your favorite channels, regardless of your current location.
With that said, here’s what separates the great VPNs for the Netherlands:
- Robust server network. Having a wide selection of Dutch servers with high speeds, P2P support, and even extra protection is vital for any worthwhile VPN for the Netherlands. As a rule of thumb, don’t limit yourself to just one country — the more locations you have available, the better.
- Useful features. VPN providers will always advertise their qualities, but you have to know what’s unimportant and what’s truly necessary. When looking for a VPN, make sure it has protection — namely a kill switch to prevent any accidental leaks in case your connection drops. Ad-blocking and anti-DDoS features are also useful.
Our top VPN picks for the Netherlands are equipped with all that, and more. Check them out below:
- Astonishing speeds
- Proven privacy
- Host of useful features
- 30 days to get your money back if you aren’t pleased
ExpressVPN’s strength is in its name, and we’re happy to say it lives up to expectations – and users definitely agree.
Perfect if you want fast speeds for streaming/downloading (or if you’re suspicious of your ISP throttling bandwidth), ExpressVPN is known for being quick and reliable. Its Dutch servers are no exception — they’re located in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and the Hague.
You’ll also enjoy some seriously handy features, like the “split tunneling”. In short, it means you can separate your VPN-protected traffic from the rest, instead of having the entirety of your connection re-routed. Other extras include DNS/IPv6 leak protection, fool-proof apps for all major operating systems, and a kill switch.
With responsive, knowledgeable customer support and a Dutch-translated website, we recommend you give ExpressVPN a shot if great speeds and unlimited unblocking are high on your list. If you change your mind along the road, you’re covered by the 30-day refund period.
- Helpful interface divided in several profiles
- Great performance at a reasonable price
- Legit zero-logs policy
- No Dutch localization for website/apps
CyberGhost, a Romanian VPN service, has a ton to offer to Dutch users.
Out of 6,600 servers, 100 are in the Netherlands. Just recently, 48 new ones were added, and the Netherlands network enjoys over 2,000 concurrent users daily.
This VPN isn’t as fast as ExpressVPN, nor does it have the advanced security features of NordVPN. However, it’s quick in its own right, and its tight logging policy ensures you’ll be safe on any website.
CyberGhost’s interface is the main attraction — separated into various profiles, you can select basic or advanced unblocking or torrenting settings in just one click. Intuitive and capable, this VPN is perfect for beginners and pros alike. Read what real users have to say.
A minor drawback is the lack of Dutch translation for the website or clients. If that doesn’t pose a problem for you, CyberGhost may just turn into your new favorite VPN for the Netherlands. Try it out — you have up to 45 days to get your money back!
- Packed with advanced features
- Constant upgrades to server network
- Based in Panama, away from the Five Eyes
- Try it out and get a refund within 30 days
If native Dutch support isn’t a priority for you, NordVPN, always a favorite among users, also offers an excellent package for the Netherlands (and dozens of other countries).
Here’s a summary of what you get — 270+ NL servers, many of which support P2P and Onion over VPN. Extra features like Dedicated IP, DoubleVPN, and “obfuscated” servers for anti-censorship purposes are also available, if you opt for them.
Overall, NordVPN is one of the biggest providers on the market, with 5,500 servers across the world and some serious security benefits. Ad-blocking, anti-DDoS, and much more await you with this VPN.
The regular service updates are a testament to NordVPN’s desire to improve. The custom clients are consistently impressive — whether it’s Windows or Mac, Android or iOS, Chrome or Firefox.
Such quality comes at a price, but NordVPN often has great deals you can take advantage of. Plus, the 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to get a full refund if you aren’t satisfied.
- Servers in the Netherlands
- User-friendly interface
- Unlimited devices and unrestricted content
- Diamond-strong protection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
A relatively new provider in the game,Surfshark VPN is making a name for itself as a reliable and secure VPN. It guarantees your security with a multi-hop double VPN chain that encrypts data across two or more servers, and every server location has a private DNS.
With over 3,200+ servers in 65+ countries, including many in Amsterdam, it is easy to access the content you want securely and anonymously. Surfshark additionally offers diamond-strong protection, a kill-switch, IP masking, zero-knowledge DNS and a strict no-logs policy. But don’t take our word for it, you can read user reviews here.
If you’re interested in Surfshark, you can make use of the 30-day money-back guarantee and test it out risk-free.
- Great choice for streaming
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Good customer support with user-friendly setup guides.
- 150 servers, including 2 for the Netherlands
PrivateVPN doesn’t have nearly as many servers as other top services, but it still manages to offer server locations around the world. This includes two local servers in the Netherlands.
PrivateVPN can help you access geo-restricted content and streaming services, including local Dutch content. It’s servers are fast enough that you won’t have to worry about content buffering while you watch.
It supports a number of security protocols, including OpenVPN, which offers users one of the highest levels of security. This keeps your data private even if you are interacting with users in countries with high levels of censorship like China. You can also enjoy browsing without bandwidth limits. Try PrivateVPN with a 7-day free trial, or take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app.
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Choose the Ultimate VPN for the Netherlands
There you have it — our top five VPN picks for the Netherlands. Whether you want privacy and security or speed and limitless streaming, you are guaranteed to find what you’re looking for in our list.
Did you find this article helpful? Share it and let others know about the best VPNs for Dutch users at home and abroad!
Your privacy online shouldn’t be compromised with. Take a look at the best no-log VPNs on the market — because it really matters.
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend NordVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 68% off.