Best VPNs for New York City – Safest and Fastest in 2021
Most of us use a VPN to switch our IP address to that of a different country. Streaming geoblocks and filters like those on Netflix and HBO are built to notice your country location, not your city.
You can access Netflix USA with an IP address from any state or city in the USA, but not an IP address from Toronto. Accordingly, most VPN apps are built to make it easy to switch between countries. If you want to choose a server located in a particular city, you need to dig a little in the settings of the VPN app.
But there are lots of reasons why you might want an IP address from New York City, or a server close by in New York State. If you’re in New York, a server as close as possible will give you the highest possible speed performance while still keeping you protected. A New York IP address will also let you access your university or government portal or do SEO research on your New York customers.
Whatever your reasons, the best VPN for New York City will offer a choice of fast and stable servers in New York. These are the ones we recommend.
Quick List: The Best VPNs for New York City
- NordVPN– Our best-rated VPN offers a leading combination of security, speed, and a large server network.
- ExpressVPN– ExpressVPN is especially well-known for its reliability in unlocking geoblocks on Netflix and other streaming sites.
- CyberGhost VPN– For a premium service with a competitive price, CyberGhost is an ideal choice.
- HMA VPN– HideMyAss! has the largest network of private servers worldwide, with options in New York, throughout the USA, and in 190 countries worldwide.
- Private Internet Access – Privacy-conscious VPN with a US network of over 1,500 servers including 120+ in New York.
What You Need to Look For in a VPN for New York
Whether you’re in New York and want a fast connection, or need an IP address from New York City, the best VPNs will offer a selection of servers that are as close to you as possible.
One of the most common gripes about VPNs is that they can sometimes slow your connection speed. The closer the server, the faster your connection will be.
On top of that, premium VPN providers will refresh and renew their most popular servers more frequently. Why is that important? Well, newer servers are less likely to be detected and blocked, especially by streaming sites.
On top of that, obfuscated servers – which make VPN traffic look like normal traffic and are the best option for unlocking streaming blocks – are usually located in popular places like New York City.
Whether you’re in New York and want the speed and security of a closer server, or you need a New York IP address, these are the features you should look out for.
Features to look out for in a VPN:
- Lots of server options worldwide. More servers mean more IP address options and a faster, more private connection.
- A kill switch. A must-have feature that ensures your true identity stays hidden even if your VPN connection is dropped.
- Cross-platform apps. A good VPN will offer native applications that will work seamlessly across all your devices.
The 5 Best VPNs for New York
NordVPN is one of the best VPN providers on the market – and one of our highest-rated providers. The reputation is well-deserved. NordVPN delivers on speed, security, and user experience.
NordVPN has a large server network with server locations in 60+ countries worldwide. The servers are updated frequently which means they are less likely to be blocked by streaming sites that use geoblocks like Netflix. Obfuscated servers are also available. For these reasons, among others, NordVPN is one of the best choices for streamers.
The apps are user-friendly and make it easy to choose the exact server, and city, you are connected to. It’s easy to switch to New York City – or any other city in the United States – in the mobile and desktop apps.
It offers premium security features including secure encryption and a double encryption feature. If you’re an advanced user, you can configure your own settings and features to suit your needs. If you prefer to just click and connect, the auto-connect profile will choose the safest and fastest configuration for you.
If you want to take it for a test drive before you sign up for a longer subscription, you can take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee.
The best things about NordVPN
- More than 5,000 servers in 60+ countries
- Obfuscated servers
- Military-grade 2048-bit encryption
- Kill switch
- 24 hour live chat support
- Works with Tor browser
- No logs policy
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
ExpressVPN is a popular choice for streamers and downloaders because of its fast servers. In fact, ExpressVPN frequently tops our own in-house speed tests.
ExpressVPN doesn’t release exact server or IP address numbers but it has at least 2 server locations in New York City, which means dozens of New York IP addresses. This discretion may be an advantage because the less known about a VPN server the more difficult it is to block them.
Users highlight its reliability in unlocking streaming blocks every time – even famously tricky ones like Netflix and HBO.
ExpressVPN also offers a 30-day, no questions asked, money-back guarantee for new users so you can try it out before you sign up for a longer subscription.
The best things about ExpressVPN:
- Fast connection speeds
- Slick and user-friendly apps
- Kill switch
- No logs policy
- 24 hour live chat support
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
If you want a VPN that offers the essentials in security and usability at an affordable price, CyberGhost VPN is a good choice. It offers native apps for Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, Linux and more.
If you switch devices often or want protection for your whole family, CyberGhost is a great deal. You can protect up to seven devices with just one subscription.
CyberGhost has an impressive server network, with more than 6,000+ servers in 90+ countries. It has more than 650 servers in the United States and 150 servers in New York. This means you’ll have a fast and secure connection. It’s simple to switch to New York City, or any other city, in the CyberGhost app.
The money-back guarantee is also generous. You have a full 45 days to ask for a refund if the service is not for you. You can also try it for free for 24 hours.
The best things about CyberGhost VPN:
- Affordable subscriptions
- Seven devices covered with one subscription
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- 24-hour free trial
- AES encryption
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and numbers of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
With server locations in 190 countries, HMA covers almost the whole world with its server network. It has by far the largest server network of all the premium VPNs.
This means a fast connection if you are in New York, and a fast connection whenever and wherever you travel. For that reason, it’s often the provider of choice for users that want to connect to an obscure location.
The HMA applications come with 3 uniquely preconfigured profiles. Freedom Mode connects you to the nearest country with freedom of speech. Location Mode lets you choose the exact location you want to connect to. Instant Mode will connect you to the nearest, fastest, and most secure server.
To connect to New York City, choose Location Mode, then choose a server in New York.
The best things about HMA
- Unique and intuitive profiles
- Large server network with 350+ locations
- Strong 256-bit AES encryption
Private Internet Access is one of the most secure VPNs on the market, enjoying an excellent reputation for its privacy and advanced security features.
Whenever you’re connected to Private Internet Access, your online activity is anonymous courtesy of military-grade encryption. Plus, an automatic kill switch and leak-protection prevent your sensitive data from appearing on the open unsecured web.
In addition, Private Internet Access keeps no logs at all and has an excellent built-in malware, adware, and tracker blocker called MACE. Not only is your connection protected, but your devices are too.
Talking of devices, you can connect 10 gadgets at once to Private Internet Access’s global network of 3,200+ servers in over 40 countries. This means the whole family can connect to local services securely or stream global content at the same time.
Private Internet Access offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can sign up without a firm commitment, to see if the service works for you.
The best things about Private Internet Access:
- MACE, the built-in malware blocker
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- Unbreakable encryption
Private Internet Access can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO Now, Sky Go, YouTube, Showtime.
- Yes, P2P is supported on all servers.
Private Internet Access works on these devices:
- Android, Mac, Windows, iOS, Linux, browsers.
Usually, VPNs are used to switch country locations, but there are many advantages to selecting a server in a particular city if you know how to do it in the VPN app. The best VPN for New York City will offer a choice of servers in New York and allow you to easily switch cities in the desktop and mobile apps.
Want to save money on your VPN? We take pride in hunting down the best discount and coupon codes for the leading VPN providers.
To summarize, the best VPNs for New York City in 2021 are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend NordVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 68% off.