5 Best VPNs for Synology That Work in 2020 | Fastest & Safest
For both personal and business users, Synology has been a revelation when it comes to secure file storage and sharing.
However, with such sensitive information being stored on your NAS, it makes sense to protect Synology with a VPN — especially during file transfers that could be vulnerable to interception and hacking.
Quick Guide: Best VPNs for Synology
- NordVPN – Secure, fast, and affordable, NordVPN is our #1 recommendation.
- ExpressVPN – ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN we’ve found, perfect for businesses that need to regularly upload and download large files to Synology.
- CyberGhost – Quick and user-friendly, CyberGhost is a solid and affordable option.
- PrivateVPN – Dedicated to Privacy, PrivateVPN is also one of the most simple and easy-to-use services.
- Surfshark – Equipped with MultiHop software PrivateDNS on each server, Surfshark boasts excellent security features.
Why You Need a VPN for Synology
Whether you use Synology at home or at work, NAS devices are often home to incredibly sensitive information. From important business documents to personal files such as photographs or ID papers, this is information you do not want third parties to be able to access.
Although files on your Synology NAS are protected, the danger lies in transferring files to and from your device. This can be especially risky if you or another user are accessing Synology from an unsecured network such as a public wi-fi hotspot.
Hackers can use wireless packet sniffers to intercept data as it’s being transmitted, giving them access to your personal files and to the IP address of your Synology device.
Installing a VPN onto your Synology NAS will automatically encrypt all incoming and outgoing traffic. This means that any malicious third party will not be able to access your sensitive information, even if they are able to intercept your traffic.
Since a VPN reroutes all of your data through one of its own private servers, this also means hackers will not be able to see the IP address of your home or business network. They will only be able to see the IP address of the VPN server, protecting your network from any targeted cyber attacks.
In order to protect Synology with a VPN, you’ll need to choose a service that supports OpenVPN, which can then be downloaded onto your NAS device. All of our recommendations support OpenVPN and you can find a guide to installing it on Synology further down this page.
Best VPNs for Synology
NordVPN is rated as our number one VPN for its exceptional security measures. Double VPN gives you an added layer of privacy while military-grade encryption will protect all of your sensitive files.
An automatic kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a strict no logs policy will keep your private information private.
NordVPN also offers users unique CyberSec software. CyberSec automatically blocks suspicious websites and protects you from ads or malware — crucial when it comes to defending Synology from hackers.
Lightning-fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth make file transfers with NordVPN quick and effortless.
Test our NordVPNs capabilities for yourself with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
We tested the fastest VPNs and ExpressVPN came out on top. An extensive network of 3,000+ servers will provide you with lightning-fast speeds that make downloading and uploading large files to Synology rapid and easy.
ExpressVPN is not just good for speed though. The service has world-class security features, too. AES 256-bit encryption will protect all of your files, while a kill switch, Zero-Knowledge DNS leak protection, and a strict no logs policy will make sure your information cannot be accessed by any third parties.
ExpressVPN even employs TrustedServer technology to make sure that every server is wiped every time it’s restarted.
This super-fast service might come with a higher price tag but it’s a worthwhile investment for businesses looking to keep Synology safe and secure. Read real user reviews or see for yourself with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
If you’re looking for a compromise between cost and features, you can’t go wrong with CyberGhost. Rated highly for its status as an excellent all-rounder, CyberGhost provides you with the speed and security you need for less.
Military-grade AES 256-bit encryption will protect your files in transfer. An automatic kill switch, DNS and IP leak protection, and a strict no logs policy will make sure that none of your data is stored or made available to third parties or hackers.
CyberGhost also gives you a very generous 45-day money-back guarantee so you can determine whether this VPN is right for you — entirely risk-free.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
If you’re new to VPN use and you want a quick and simple way to protect your Synology, PrivateVPN is the right choice. Rated by real users as one of the easiest VPNs to use, PrivateVPN nevertheless holds its own when it comes to security.
PrivateVPN was originally created for internet privacy so it’s an excellent option when it comes to securing your NAS. All of its security features — including military-grade 2048-bit encryption with AES-256, OpenVPN, and zero logging — are set as defaults so you don’t have to worry about any complicated settings.
The service even offers free remote setup to help you with your installation process.
Try PrivateVPN completely free for a week with its 7-day free trial or for a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
PrivateVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app.
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Surfshark is a feature-heavy VPN with a focus on privacy. Its security features include MultiHop, which connects you via several servers at once for added anonymity and CleanWeb, which protects you from ads, trackers, malware, and phishing.
Your files will stay protected by private DNS and leak protection as well as a kill switch, strict no logs policy, and AES-256-GCM encryption.
Best of all, Surfshark allows unlimited device connection, so you can protect all of the devices in your home or business as well as Synology. Read what our users think about Surfshark or try it for yourself with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
Surfshark works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, FireTV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox.
How to Install a VPN on Synology
To protect your Synology NAS with a VPN, you will need to create a VPN profile on your Synology Control Panel and import the OpenVPN configuration file from your chosen VPN service.
Depending on which VPN you choose, each service has an indepth guide to Synology installation:
- NordVPN’s Synology guide
- ExpressVPN’s Synology guide
- CyberGhost’s Synology guide
- PrivateVPN’s Synology guide
- Surfshark guide to downloading OpenVPN
Summary and Further Reading
There’s no point in taking any unnecessary risks with the files stored on your Synology NAS. Subscribe to a VPN now and give yourself peace of mind that your personal or business data will always be protected.
Want to find out more about keeping your data private? Read our rundown of the best no log VPNs.
Unsure on how to decide which VPN is right for Synology? Follow our guide to choosing the best VPN.