Best VPNs for Fritz!Box | Protect Your Router & Stay Safe 
The perfect recipe for security, privacy, and speed is the VPN/router combo. AVM’s Fritz!Box series offers you a top-of-the-line router and modem in one. If you couple the Fritz!Box with one of our recommended VPNs, your home network will enjoy all the benefits of unlimited access.
Before we dive into the best VPNs, we should note that Fritz!Box allows VPN setup, but not for running a commercial VPN.
If you want to enjoy all the options Fritz!Box offers, we recommend using an additional router (with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware) and connecting it to your Fritz!Box.
Which VPN is Most Compatible with Fritz!Box?
When you begin to shop for the perfect VPN/router, use the criteria below as your guide. The VPN should offer:
- Support for DD-WRT or Tomato firmware routers
- Lots of servers
- Top-notch security
- Lightning-fast speeds
- 24/7 customer support
Ready to start shopping? Here are the best VPNs for your Fritz!Box:
The Best VPNs for Fritz!Box
- 5,200+ global servers in 62 countries
- A CyberSec suite for ad blocking
- 24/7 support
- One subscription connects up to six devices
- No-logs policy
- Tor compatibility
NordVPN offers router options for both the beginner and the advanced user. Their connectivity section offers you thorough and comprehensive tutorials.
NordVPN also offers advanced features to make your Fritz!Box even more robust. Onion-over-VPN, Static IPs, and proprietary anti-DDoS are just a few of the excellent VPN security options.
Are you still wondering if NordVPN is the right fit for your Fritz!Box? No worries. You can read what real users have to say or try it out for yourself risk-free with their 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
- Speed average of 52Mbps
- Speed test feature to find the fastest server
- Strict no-logs policy
- Excellent customer service
ExpressVPN doesn’t cut corners with security, and it offers a Network Lock kill switch for your router. Also, you don’t need to install separate apps on all your devices. Express VPN on your Fritz!Box protects each new device automatically.
Are you concerned with setting up a new router? ExpressVPN makes it simple with easy-to-follow guides for both automatic and manual setups. Plus, you have access to 24/7 customer service in case you can’t get your Fritz!Box correctly connected to your other router.
ExpressVPN is not the most economical VPN on the market, but its robust capabilities (lightning-fast speeds, pre-configured on selected routers) save you money on security in the future.
Do you need more convincing before committing? Read user reviews here or try out ExpressVPN with a safety net, thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
- User-friendly VPN apps
- 700+ servers and 200,000 IP addresses
- Accesses Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and BBC iPlayer
- First publicly audited No Log VPN Provider
VyprVPN can dispel your notions that connecting a router is difficult. The company offers its own “Router App”: a plugin that controls the VPN setting on all your devices on your Fritz!Box with a simple click.
You should know, however, that the app is only compatible with the Tomato MIPS/ARM framework.
You can use other routers (like a DD-WRT), but the full range of features the app offers won’t be available. You should consider the app if you want your Fritz!Box to be a superstar router.
If you’re concerned about connecting the right router with the app, VyprVPN’s superb support team is there to help 24/7.
VyperVPN only offers a 3-day money-back guarantee. Still, it’s a great value VPN, and you can check our complete review on VyprVPN to see if it’s the right fit for your Fritz!Box.
VyperVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
VyperVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Routers, Android TV, QNAP, Blackphone, Anonabox.
- 3,600+ servers
- Connects up to 7 devices simultaneously
- No-logs Policy
- Automatic Kill Switch
- Lack of router-specific features, but easy to set up
CyberGhost has quickly become a high-ranking VPN thanks to excellent speeds, 256-bit AES encryption, and reliable content unblocking. Moreover, your Fritz!Box can easily inherit all these features.
Although there’s no specific app for the router, CyberGhost offers excellent tutorials for hooking up compatible routers. The VPN configuration is straightforward, and you’ll be enjoying your Fritz!Box in no time!
The best part? You can try out CyberGhost with peace of mind, thanks to a 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
- 3,300+ servers in 30+ countries
- Super cheap
- Strict no-logs policy
- MACE feature blocks adware, tracking, and malware
- Not reliable for bypassing geoblocks
Private Internet Access (PIA) is reliable, user-friendly, and affordable. However, does a cheap VPN solution like PIA make sense for the Fritz!Box? Yes, but with some caution.
PIA doesn’t skimp on privacy, even if their unblocking capabilities are not top-tier. Plus, PIA is compatible with DD-WRT, Tomato, and pFsense gateways.
The setup process for your Fritz!Box and the additional router is straightforward even if you’re a beginner. Plus you can connect up to ten devices simultaneously. Not too shabby if you’re trying to save money!
Are you worried that PIA’s affordability won’t match up with your Fritz!Box needs? You can try PIA risk-free with a 7-day money-back guarantee. Also, check our full PIA review.
Your Fritz!Box is a top-of-line router that transforms into a powerhouse with the right VPN. Although you have to go (for now) with an extra router, our recommended VPNs ensure that your connections are trouble-free. Good luck and happy shopping!
Need more router information? Read 2019’s Best VPNs for Routers-Easy to Set Up and Use.
Are you searching for the best VPNs for torrents? Look no further than our piece on The Best VPNs for Torrents-2019.
Do you need to flash your router? We’ve got you covered with our step-by-step guide.