4 Best VPNs For Japan – For Safety, Streaming & Speeds in 2021
Japan is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world with a 92% internet penetration rate by its citizens. Almost everything and everyone on the small island is connected to the web.
Unfortunately, Japan lacks both online freedom and privacy with restrictions applied on copyrighted content as well as any access to geo-blocked websites including online streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and BBC iPlayer. Japan also works closely with the NSA which raises more eyebrows and privacy concerns.
If you live in Japan or planning on traveling there soon, be sure to cover your back. The only way to avoid these obstacles is by using a reliable VPN that offers anonymity, security, and access to geo-blocked sites in Japan.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Japan
- ExpressVPN — This fast VPN will keep you safe while providing with fast speeds.
- CyberGhost — For beginners, this VPN is exactly what you need.
- IPVanish — A VPN with great security and encryption for bypassing the toughest restrictions.
- PrivateVPN — This solid VPN will help you connect to wherever you want, including Japan.
What you should look for in a VPN for Japan
Since privacy, anonymity, and security are our biggest concerns in Japan. A good VPN will help you evade government restrictions and surveillance by altering your IP address through which you become anonymous and have a better opportunity to access more blocked websites in Japan.
Here are a few pointers to look for in any VPN for Japan:
- A large network of servers with servers in strategic locations such as USA, UK, and, of course, servers in Japan. This is to ensure that you have a large variety of shared IP addresses from different locations to hide your true online identity within. Having servers in the US and UK helps you access geo-blocked content such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Servers located inside Japan, help you hide your true IP address while maintaining a high connection speed (the closer the server the less the speed lags). This feature protects your online privacy as well as providing complete online freedom.
- You must make sure that the VPN provider doesn’t keep any logs of its users’ online activities as Japan is known for collecting users’ online information, such as browsing history, from ISP’s. If the VPN provider has a strict no logs policy, then there won’t be anything to hand over, hence complete online anonymity.
- Other privacy features include an internet kill switch, DNS/IPv4/IPv6/WebRTC leak protection. These features ensure that your information will not be leaked under any circumstances. Whether it’s a VPN connection drop, unstable connection, or any other reason.
- To protect your online security, you must make sure that the VPN provider uses a high-level encryption to secure its network (at least 256-bit) which can only be delivered through advanced security protocols such as OpenVPN. Some VPNs offer additional security features, such as a NAT firewall and doubleVPN. These will definitely come in handy.
Now that we have a clear idea about what to look for, we’ve filtered out the best VPNs that match these criteria in order to save your time from searching among thousands of VPN names out there.
Best for Speed
- Operates servers in 148 cities, in 90 countries, including two servers in Japan
- AES 256-bit encryption used to secure network
- Multiple security protocols supported (OpenVPN with UDP/TCP, L2TP/IPSec, SSTP, and PPTP)
- Zero-knowledge DNS
With its location in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN guarantees full protection of your online privacy and freedom no matter where you’re located. The provider operates a large global network of servers, including servers in Japan, and offers the highest forms of online security measures and features available in the market today. For that reason, it’s one of the leading names in the industry and is definitely highly recommended option for Japan.
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
Best for beginners
- 7,300 servers in 91 countries, including 10 servers in Japan
- No logs kept
- Easy to install and use software for all major platforms
- Up to 7 simultaneous connections
CyberGhost VPN is a Romanian based provider that was launched in 2011. It is perfectly capable of providing you with complete online protection, no matter where you are in the world. This surely includes online environments such as that in Japan. When we were searching among different VPN services to meet your requirements in Japan, CyberGhost met our every need. From a network of servers spanning across the globe (including 10 servers in Japan) to the most advanced features in the field of online security, privacy, and freedom. These include military-grade encryption, DNS leak protection, kill switch, and numerous others. No wonder why it has such great reviews.
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
Best for privacy
- Kill switch
- IPv6 leak protection
- 1,900 servers in 70 countries including 6 servers in Japan
- OpenVPN scramble
Even though IPVanish is based in the US, it’s very keen on protecting your online privacy by implementing a very strict no logs policy. This gives you a very clear idea of how it would perform in Japan. IPVanish is equally committed when it comes to online security and freedom and proves this through its state of the art features and capabilities. For instance, IPVanish uses 256-bit AES encryption to secure its entire global network of servers, including 6 servers located in Japan and numerous others spread across East Asia. This encryption is implemented through multiple security protocols, including OpenVPN with TCP/UDP, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, and IKEv2.
Read more reviews on IPVanish here.
- Netflix, BBC iPlayer.
IPVanish works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, FireTV, Windows Phone, Linux, Chromebook, Routers.
Best for stability
- 100 servers in 60 countries, including Japan and all over East Asia
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Up to 6 simultaneous connections
- Free remote help and installation
Being based in Sweden says enough about how keen PrivateVPN is on protecting your online privacy. However, since we’re talking about Japan, well, PrivateVPN has some pretty cool features and capabilities that can easily overcome any online challenges in Japan, such as censorship or unwanted surveillance. These features include a network of servers secured with military-grade encryption and with servers spread all over the world. This encryption is delivered through multiple security protocols supported through its apps. The network includes servers in Japan and all over East Asia. PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any online activity logs and its apps have a built-in kill switch in addition to DNS/IPv4/IPv6 leak protection. If you face any problems with the service, which is very unlikely, you can easily contact their very efficient and helpful customer support via live chat or email. Read what others had to say about it.
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app.
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Whether it’s accessing geo-blocked content, accessing copyrighted content, or protecting your online privacy and security from unwanted luring parties, using a VPN in Japan is critical. There are countless names out there but not all are suitable for the situation in Japan, so we highly recommend you choose one of them.
Looking for a great deal on these VPNs? Check out our deals page.
To summarize, the best VPNs for Japan in September 2021 are …
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.