5 Best VPNs for PC Gaming | Rated By Speed, Safety & Price
A VPN for gaming? Yeah, right — why would you use software that almost always slows you down and seems like the polar opposite of what a gamer truly needs?
Well, since you’re here, you’ve probably faced one of several hurdles in the gaming world – such as geographical restrictions or foul play – that can be prevented by a VPN. Gaming is a lot of fun, but it can be quickly ruined by forces outside of your control.
Outside of your control, that is, until you install a VPN.
If you’re a competitive gamer, using a VPN can give you early access to new online titles, while shielding you from malicious attacks from opponents. But finding the right VPN service for PC gaming can be very difficult – you can’t risk average speeds, limited servers, or unreliable support.
We’re here to help you out — after undertaking deep research and countless hours of testing, we present you with the five absolute best VPNs for PC gaming. Check them out below, test some for yourself and you’ll definitely find the right VPN for your needs.
Summary of the Best VPNs for PC Gaming
NordVPN is ideal if you need to change server locations regularly, thanks to a massive network. With great speeds, anti-DDoS features, and a whole security suite, it will also keep your sessions fast and safe without breaking a sweat.
ExpressVPN is lightning-fast and full of valuable features for PC gamers — most importantly, it’s consistently super fast. Along with top of the line security features, whatever your needs are, this VPN is sure to meet them.
Perfect for equipping your in-house LAN party with VPN protection, CyberGhost has seven simultaneous connections and offers dependable, fast uptime speeds across its 5,700+ worldwide servers.
A rising star in the world of VPNs, Surfshark hasn’t been around as long as its more well-known competitors but it packs a punch. By specializing in getting around geo-restrictions and offering unlimited device connections, Surfshark is ideal for PC gaming.
PIA is a favorite VPN for the PC gamer on a budget, with thousands of servers and great performance — all wrapped in a very affordable package.
What You Should Look for in a VPN for PC Gaming
The potential benefits of a VPN for PC gaming are massive. One popular feature is bypassing territorial restrictions — imposed by either the game itself, or your government.
Gamers come from all around the world, but unfortunately, many of our friends online have to deal with censored or outright forbidden games due to their location. Take Iran as an example — Battlefield 3 and ARMA 3 were both banned in the country due to graphic violence and cruelty. The list goes on. Saudi Arabia, China, Malaysia, Thailand, and many other countries have banned games like Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto, and various shooters due to political or violent content.
With a VPN, you can still play otherwise-banned games, both online and by yourself. By connecting to a server in a country that doesn’t have these restrictions, you effectively avoid censorship and open up a whole new world of gaming possibilities.
VPNs can also help you get early access to new games. Let’s say this new MMO you’ve been drooling over finally drops a release date — but it’s going to be available in Japan first, hours before any other servers go live. If you want to be ahead of the pack, all you need is a Japanese IP address, and you’re ready to get started.
Accessibility aside, VPNs are most valuable when it comes to protection. A great deal of serious, competitive gaming is found online nowadays — and with that comes the risk of hackers. It’s incredibly dangerous to have your real IP address and other sensitive personal info on display publicly. With a VPN, you can keep all of it hidden behind a securely encrypted connection.
Speaking of connections, a VPN will also keep you safe from DDoS attacks — something that has plagued competitive online gaming for a long time. Semi-professional and professional teams in CS:GO and Dota 2 are often targeted by frustrated fans of rival teams, but this risk isn’t limited to the pro scene. If you’re an avid player of competitive games like these and many others (including League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, Smite), you know how sore and petty losers can get. Using a VPN will protect you from potential DDoS attacks or other harmful activities aimed towards you.
With that said, here’s what you need from the perfect VPN for PC gaming:
- Speed. If your connection speed takes a major hit, your gaming VPN will be almost useless. Make sure your picks have excellent and consistent speeds so you can keep owning in-game.
- Choice of servers. Usually, the more servers you have at your disposal, the better. But it’s not just about diversity — you want your VPN’s network to be optimized, fast, and well-maintained with guaranteed uptime.
- Easy interface. Not everyone is a tech guru and even the advanced user wants a sleek, intuitive user experience. Look for a VPN that’s not only capable, but one that’s invested in ease of use as well.
- Responsive customer support. You might run into issues with your VPN — everybody does. Faster customer support will put you back on track in no time. Choose a VPN that knows its stuff, and also knows how to solve problems quickly.
With so much to look for, it may feel like an endless quest to find the ideal VPN. We have the walkthrough right here — take a look at our top VPN picks for PC gaming.
The Best VPNs for PC Gaming
- Fast and secure
- Based outside the Five Eyes
- One-month refund window
NordVPN continues to be one of the most popular VPNs in the world. It has an arsenal of military grade security features — including anti-DDoS servers, enhanced obfuscation protocols, and a full-fledged security suite called CyberSec. NordVPN includes everything from adblocking to expert malware protection.
With constant updates, NordVPN just keeps getting bigger, better and faster. There are over 5,000 servers to choose from across the globe, and that number’s bound to increase.
The elegant, feature-packed interface is just another reason to install this Panama-based VPN. Add excellent support over live chat, and you can see why it scores so well in reviews.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
- Fastest VPN on the market
- No logs kept
- Kill switch, DNS/IPv6 leak protection
- Try before you commit with the 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN has a seriously fast network of 3,000+ servers in over 150 locations. It also offers spotless privacy, thanks to a favorable headquarters in the British Virgin Islands and a stern zero-logs policy. The AES256 encryption and OpenVPN support will keep you secure at all times.
You’ll be connected to any location you desire, and the interface is a breeze to use. Plus, you get some great extras for gaming — namely, the split tunneling feature allows you to precisely select the parts of your traffic you want encrypted.
All of that, combined with the stellar 24/7 customer support (including live chat) makes ExpressVPN a crowd favorite.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
- Very easy to use
- Has the speeds and servers you want
- Seven simultaneous connections for your entire LAN party
- 30 days to test risk-free
CyberGhost has a lot to offer gamers — from 5,700+ optimized servers and great speeds to fully-automated setups, thanks to an awesome profile-based interface.
Most VPNs offer between three and five simultaneous connections. CyberGhost stands out with up to seven devices per subscription, bringing huge value if you’re planning on outfitting your whole group with top-shelf protection and unlimited accessibility.
Last but not least, CyberGhost has helpful agents to answer your questions or solve your issues in no time. In a nutshell, it’s a wonderful VPN for beginners and experts alike, which is reflected in user reviews.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
- Unlimited device connections
- Excellent speeds
- Under the radar
- Also great for streaming Netflix
Surfshark may not be as well established or long-running as its competitors, but that is actually one reason they are a rising star in the VPN market, and consistently receive rave reviews.
The more well known a VPN becomes, the more attention it receives from platforms using geoblocks, and the stronger they enforce these geoblocks against that individual VPN. So far, Surfshark has avoided too much attention and this makes it an ideal VPN for PC gaming.
This situation may change in the future but that won’t affect Surfshark’s super fast connections, top-rated security and easy to use interface. With a 30-day money-back guarantee and unlimited device connections, you can try Surfshark out for yourself and see if it meets your gaming needs.
Surfshark can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
Surfshark works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, FireTV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox.
- Excellent performance at a cheap price
- Loyal and helpful community
- Over 3,500 servers to choose from
- 7-day money-back guarantee
If you want a cheap VPN, you won’t find one that does affordable protection better than PIA. It has all the essential features, plus a massive network of 3,300+ servers.
Sure, it’s not the fastest VPN, but it’s up there with the best. PIA also offers an easy, no-fuss interface — it’s not super polished, but you won’t have any trouble using it.
Helpful customer support and an active community are major highlights of this VPN. If you’re on a budget, you won’t find many better options than PIA — which is why users have a lot of good things to say about it.
You Can Get a Great Deal on a VPN Here
If you’re itching for a game that’s banned or not released yet in your region, or you simply want to shield yourself from nasty DDoS attacks and hackers, a VPN is the win condition in this game of wits.
Did you know you could grab the best VPNs on the market at incredible discounts? Check out the hottest VPN deals here, before time runs out!