5 Best Warzone VPNs in 2023 — Get Bot Lobbies Easily!
- Best VPNs for Warzone — Full Analysis (2023 Update)
- ExpressVPN — Overall Best Warzone VPN With Fast Speeds and Low Ping
- CyberGhost — Gaming-Optimized Servers to Easily Find the Ideal Server for Warzone
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable Security to Optimize Your Connection for Warzone
- NordVPN — Obfuscated Servers to Play Warzone on Restrictive Networks
- Surfshark — Unlimited Connections to Play Warzone Without Interruption
- Quick Comparison Table: Warzone VPN Features
- Tips on How to Choose the Best VPNs for Warzone
- Quick Guide: How to Use a VPN to Get Easier Warzone Lobbies in 3 Easy Steps
- Other Benefits of Using a VPN With Warzone
- How to Set Up a Warzone VPN on Consoles
- FAQs on Playing Call of Duty: Warzone With a VPN
- Get the Best VPN For Call of Duty: Warzone Today
A Warzone VPN can improve your gameplay, but finding the right one is challenging. By their nature, VPNs will increase your latency, but some are just too laggy for online gaming. It’s hard to set most VPNs up on consoles, too. On top of this, not all of them can grant you access to bot lobbies, as they only have a limited server network.
My team and I tested 50+ providers to find the best Warzone VPNs. These VPNs can help you avoid skill-based matchmaking (SBMM) and enter bot lobbies so that you can boost your stats. Plus, they offer fast connections with minimal to no lag and strong security to protect you from DDoS attacks.
My top recommendation for Warzone is ExpressVPN. It has an extensive server network and low ping so that you can take on some easy targets without lag. Plus, it’s super secure and easy to set up on routers, so you can use the VPN on your console. You can try it risk-free since it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best Warzone VPNs in 2023
- Editor's ChoiceExpressVPN
Ideal for Warzone with ultra-fast speeds, low ping, and extensive server coverage.70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
Specialized gaming servers for secure Warzone play, but long-distance speeds may lag.
- Private Internet Access
Customizable security for optimized Warzone connection, but with a complex app interface.
Play Warzone anywhere with obfuscated servers, but the Windows app may be slow to start.
Unlimited device connections for seamless Warzone gaming, but server connections can be slow.
Best VPNs for Warzone — Full Analysis (2023 Update)
Tested December 2023 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Best Feature||Lowest ping of all the Warzone VPNs we tested|
|Server Network||3,000 servers in 105 countries|
|Speeds||Very fast — 3% speed drop on nearby servers|
ExpressVPN’s fast, lag-free connections make it our top choice for Warzone. On its nearby UK servers, we had a speed drop of only 3% and the ping remained below 13ms, the lowest of all the VPNs we tested. This is largely due to its Lightway protocol, which offers fast connections without compromising security. I could play Warzone on my Windows PC without any lag.
Its large server network means you can battle Warzone opponents from all over the world. This also means that you can connect with your friends back home if you're traveling abroad. Using ExpressVPN’s servers in Egypt, Sri Lanka, and the Bahamas, I could bypass SBMM and play easier Warzone lobbies. This also reduced my matchmaking time by 20%.
I found ExpressVPN to be the easiest to set up and use on a router, thanks to its custom firmware and dedicated router app. This made it really easy to protect all of my devices, including my gaming consoles. In my tests, I was able to change my Warzone region to Egypt on my PS5 with only a few clicks.
ExpressVPN's pricing is a bit higher than some other options, but it offers generous discounts throughout the years to make your plan affordable. Plus, its 30-day money-back guarantee lets you test ExpressVPN without any financial risk. You can get a full refund if you're unsatisfied with the service.
- Strong security. ExpressVPN shields you from DDoS attacks in Warzone with robust encryption, a kill switch, and IP/DNS leak protection. These features work together to keep your gaming sessions uninterrupted and safe.
- Split tunneling. This feature allows you to choose which apps use the VPN and which don't. I used this to route my Warzone traffic through the VPN server while I ordered takeout with my regular connection.
- Device Groups. ExpressVPN's router app offers Device Groups, which lets you assign different VPN locations to different devices on your network. For example, you can play Warzone on a Singapore server on your PS5 while someone else on your network streams Netflix UK, all without any conflicts.
|Best Feature||Optimized gaming servers offer fast, secure connections for Warzone|
|Server Network||10,529 servers in 100 countries|
|Speeds||Fast speeds — 7% speed drop on nearby servers|
CyberGhost takes the guesswork out of finding a server for Warzone with its dedicated gaming servers. These are optimized for fast, low-ping connections, so you won’t have to worry about lag. Plus, they’re grouped in the For Gaming tab, so you can start playing Warzone bot lobbies in just a few clicks.
I was particularly impressed by CyberGhost’s performance with Warzone. On its nearby UK and German gaming servers, our ping remained below 25ms, and the speed drop was never more than 7%. I had a smooth Warzone session with no noticeable input lag, even during intense combat. I could play Warzone without any slowdowns, even on its regular Singapore server.
Some of CyberGhost’s long-distance servers didn’t perform as well, though. We found a 61% speed loss and a ping of 235ms on its India servers, so Warzone was almost unplayable. That said, we only lost an average of 15% from our base speed on servers in the US and Canada. Most VPNs have a drop of around 30-40% at this distance, so only 15% isn’t bad at all.
Every plan is backed by a 45-day money-back guarantee, so you can test CyberGhost with Warzone for free. When I tested the refund process, I got my money back within 3 days with no hassle.
- Large server network. CyberGhost has a large server network, including servers in Argentina, Egypt, Japan, and more. This provides you with plenty of options to find easier lobbies in Warzone. This extensive network also reduces the chances of server congestion, leading to smoother gameplay.
- Easy to use. No matter whether you use a PC or mobile to play Warzone, the CyberGhost app looks and works the same. So, you won’t have to re-learn a whole new app if you regularly switch devices.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA) — Customizable Security to Optimize Your Connection for Warzone
|Best Feature||Robust security that can be customized for fast Warzone connections|
|Server Network||29,650 servers in 91 countries|
|Speeds||Fast — an 8% drop on nearby servers|
PIA offers tons of customization options, so you can fine-tune your connection for Warzone. You can choose between OpenVPN and WireGuard, with our tests showing that the latter delivers faster speeds and lower ping times. Adjusting the OpenVPN encryption from the default 256-bit to 128-bit resulted in a 9% speed boost without significant security trade-offs.
PIA’s server network is the largest of any Warzone VPN I’ve tested. Connecting to its servers in Singapore and Egypt gave me access to bot lobbies, and I could shoot some easy targets. But regardless of the server location, PIA maintained reliable connections in my tests, ensuring a smooth Warzone experience.
On the downside, the wealth of customization options PIA offers might initially seem overwhelming, especially for VPN beginners. However, the VPN comes pre-configured, so you can jump straight into your Warzone matches without having to tinker with any settings.
PIA offers great value for money — you can get it for just $2.03/month. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing you to test it with Warzone completely risk-free. If it doesn’t meet your needs, you can get a full refund.
- Fast speeds and low ping. During our tests, the ping stayed consistently below 28ms, and the speed drop was a mere 8% on its nearby UK servers. This let me play Warzone lag-free.
- Strong leak protection. On top of the robust security features you’d expect from a premium VPN, PIA offers strong protection against IP and DNS leaks. I ran tests on 5 of its servers for leaks, and it passed every one. So, you can play Warzone knowing that your opponents will never see your real location.
|Best Feature||Obfuscated servers to play Warzone on restrictive networks|
|Server Network||5,974+ servers in 60 countries|
|Speeds||Very fast — 5% drop on nearby servers|
NordVPN is a solid choice if you're looking to play Warzone on networks with heavy restrictions. Its obfuscated servers mask your VPN traffic to make it appear as regular internet traffic, letting you sidestep VPN blocks and firewalls. This means you can play Warzone securely, whether you’re at school, work, or in a country with tight internet controls.
It’s the second fastest Warzone VPN we tested, with speed drops of only 5% on UK servers and a ping below 25ms. This is largely due to its NordLynx protocol, which is optimized for fast connections. However, obfuscated servers can only be used with OpenVPN, so they might be slightly slower.
One minor drawback is that NordVPN can take up to 30 seconds to launch on Windows. However, once it's up and running, it performs without any issues, providing a smooth Warzone experience.
You can test NordVPN risk-free by taking advantage of its 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied, it’s easy to get a full refund.
- Meshnet. If you like to host Warzone LAN parties, you’ll appreciate its Meshnet feature. It works by connecting your device and your friends' devices as if they were on the same local network, no matter how far apart you are geographically. This allows you to host or join Warzone games as if you were all in the same room.
- PC VPN hotspot for consoles. If you don’t want to install NordVPN on your router to secure your console, there is another option. You can connect your PC to your console via Ethernet cable to use your computer’s NordVPN connection.
|Best Feature||Unlimited connections at an affordable price|
|Server Network||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Speeds||Fast — an 11% drop on nearby servers|
Surfshark offers unlimited simultaneous connections so you can play Warzone on your preferred device without disrupting an existing connection. While testing, I was able to farm bots in Warzone on my Windows PC while streaming and torrenting on 5 other devices, all without any lag.
Surfshark doesn't compromise on speed, either. We had a speed drop of only 11% on nearby servers, and the ping consistently stayed below 35ms. This is good for Warzone gaming — there were no delays as I played Warzone 2.0 on my PS5. I particularly liked that it had a built-in speed test tool, as this helped me find the best available server for gaming.
The only minor hiccup I encountered was that some of Surfshark's servers can take a bit longer to connect. However, this was occasional, and once connected, I was able to play Warzone without any issues.
You can put Surfshark to the test risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee. Just ask for a refund if it doesn’t meet your needs.
- Global server network. Surfshark offers servers in 100 countries, so you won’t have any trouble finding easy bot lobbies in Warzone or playing games with your overseas friends. And, if you want to play SBMM games, you’ll always have a speedy nearby connection.
Quick Comparison Table: Warzone VPN Features
The table below compares the features of top-rated Warzone VPNs. It covers key features like the number of countries each VPN covers, speeds, how many devices you can connect at once, and the lowest monthly plan each VPN offers.
While all the VPNs on this list are compatible with routers, not all of them offer a dedicated router app. A dedicated app makes finding a server super easy, so you can change the Warzone region on gaming consoles without hassle.
Tips on How to Choose the Best VPNs for Warzone
Several factors need to be taken into account when selecting the ideal VPN for Call of Duty: Warzone. The following are the criteria I used to determine the VPNs included in this list:
- Fast speeds and low ping. A good VPN should provide fast speeds with a speed drop of less than 35%. Plus, it should offer a low ping rate, ideally below 60 ms, for smooth and lag-free Warzone gaming. All the VPNs I've selected offer low ping and fast speeds.
- Extensive server network. A large server network reduces the chance of overcrowded servers. It also allows you to switch to Warzone regions where the game is less popular, making it easier to find bot lobbies. The VPNs on this list offer servers all across the world.
- Strong security. Your VPN should offer 256-bit encryption, IP/DNS leak protection, and an automatic kill switch to hide your IP address and protect you from DDoS attacks. All the VPNs I've chosen provide these security features.
- Router support. Since gaming consoles don't natively support VPNs, a VPN compatible with routers is essential. This allows you to cover your entire home network, including gaming consoles. All the VPNs on this list are compatible with routers.
- Reliable money-back guarantee. A reliable money-back guarantee allows you to test the VPN with Warzone risk-free. We’ve tested the refund process with each VPN on this list, and we can confirm you’ll get your money back within a few days.
- Responsive customer support. If you’ve got questions or just want a server recommendation for Warzone, you’ll need access to a customer support team that won’t leave you waiting for answers. Each VPN on this list answered my questions promptly.
Quick Guide: How to Use a VPN to Get Easier Warzone Lobbies in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because its worldwide server network helps you get easier lobbies. Plus, it has fast speeds and low ping for lag-free gaming, no matter what kind of lobbies you’re playing in.
- Connect to a server. Choose a location where Warzone isn’t popular (like Argentina or Egypt) to jump into a bot lobby. Or, if you’re looking to play SBMM games, stick with nearby servers for the best speeds.
- Start playing Warzone. Open the game, and start shooting easy targets.
Other Benefits of Using a VPN With Warzone
A VPN doesn’t just help you change your Warzone region so you can get bot lobbies or play with friends overseas. Here are some other reasons why it’s worth using a VPN with Warzone:
- Protection from DDoS attacks. VPNs mask your IP address, making it virtually impossible for attackers to target your network. This means you can play Warzone without worrying about DDoS attacks or threats to your privacy.
- Bypass ISP throttling. Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) may throttle your bandwidth during peak gaming hours, leading to lag and high ping. A VPN can help you bypass ISP throttling, ensuring consistent speeds and a lag-free Warzone experience.
- Play on restrictive networks. If you're on a network that blocks Warzone and other online games, a VPN can help. Encrypting your traffic allows you to bypass network restrictions and play your favorite games without any issues.
How to Set Up a Warzone VPN on Consoles
Setting up a VPN on Windows is easy as all VPNs offer apps that are directly compatible with the OS. When it comes to consoles, things can get a bit tricky.
There are 2 methods for setting up a Call of Duty: Warzone VPN on consoles. The PC method is the easiest to set up, but you’ll have slightly more lag as your PC uses the same connection. The router method is a bit trickier and only works on compatible firmware, but it provides the lowest ping.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Warzone if you want to play on a console because it offers a native router app that’s really easy to install and use. I was able to set up the router app in under 10 minutes. This meant I could start playing Warzone bot lobbies on my console in no time.
Once you’ve downloaded it, follow my step-by-step instructions below to set it up to work with your console easily. The other VPNs in this list can be set up on consoles similarly using the PC method or by installing them manually on your router.
- Connect to an ExpressVPN server. Press the server list button, select the All Locations tab, and pick a country where Call of Duty: Warzone isn’t popular (like Egypt) to find bot lobbies. If you’re not interested in bot lobbies, then choose a server nearest your location for the best performance.
- Open your PC’s Network settings. Choose the Mobile Hotspot option and turn it on.
- Change your adapter options. This will take you to the Network Connections window, where you will see a network called Local Area Connection #.
- Access ExpressVPN’s network connection. Under this, locate a connection that says ExpressVPN Wintun Driver in the description. Right-click this and open Properties.
- Allow sharing. In the sharing tab, check the box next to Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.
- Select the network to share. Under Home Networking Connection, select the name of the mobile hotspot (Local Area Connection #) you just created and click OK.
- Connect your console. Connect your console to the hotspot using WiFi.
The approach described here is specifically for loading ExpressVPN's dedicated router application onto an ASUS router model. For other router models, you'll need to consult their respective websites for installation guidelines, as the instructions differ for each model.
- Head to the configuration page. Sign into ExpressVPN’s site, and go to the setup page. Select Router.
- Download the firmware. Under Firmware Download, select your router model from the drop-down menu, and click Download Firmware.
- Access your router. In your browser’s address bar, enter the IP address for the router admin panel. In most cases, the default address is 192.168.0.1 or router.asus.com.
- Upload the firmware. On the left column, go to Administration, then select the Firmware Upgrade tab. Click Upload and choose the file you downloaded in step 2.
- Follow the on-screen prompts. Once you see Firmware upgrade is done, you’ll know that ExpressVPN has been successfully installed on your router.
- Connect your console. Just re-connect your console to the WiFi network.
FAQs on Playing Call of Duty: Warzone With a VPN
What is the best location for Call of Duty: Warzone bot lobbies?
Bot lobbies are available in countries where the game isn’t popular, like Argentina, Sri Lanka, Egypt, Singapore, and more. Our non-US testers have had luck getting bot lobbies on US servers, too. Connecting to a server in one of these countries can offer reliable access to bot lobbies. The VPNs in this list have several servers in these countries.
To raise your chances of being placed in bot lobbies, you can try connecting to servers in places where it's still working hours or early in the morning. This is because not many people will be playing online during these time periods.
That said, it’s important to connect to a server that’s not too far away from your physical location. This is because ping increases proportionally to the distance between you and the server you connect to.
Can I play Warzone on mobile devices?
You can play Warzone on mobile devices only in Australia, Chile, Sweden, and Norway. So if you’re not located in one of these countries, you won’t see it in your mobile app store.The good news is that you can still access Warzone mobile from any location with the help of a VPN.
To access Warzone Mobile from anywhere, follow these steps:
- Get a VPN and connect. Connect your VPN to one of the locations where Warzone Mobile is available. I chose Sweden since that’s the closest location to me (which is usually best for latency).
- Download the game app. You’ll need to create a new mobile app store account in the corresponding location to access the app. For instance, I created a new iOS account set to Sweden. Then, search for Warzone Mobile in the app store and download it.
- Play Warzone Mobile. Now that you have the app, just start playing.
What should I do if my VPN isn’t working with Warzone?
First off, you should make sure you're using a VPN that's been tried and tested to work with Warzone. Double-check you’re running the latest version of the VPN app.
If you still continue to get errors, try disconnecting from your current server, and choose a different location. It’s possible that there are some problems with the server you’re connected to, and switching to a different one can resolve the problem.
You can also try switching security protocols. If all else fails, you can contact customer support.
Is it okay to use a VPN in Warzone or will I get banned for it?
It depends. Using a VPN for Warzone isn’t against the rules if you’re just using it to protect yourself from DDoS attacks while playing.
That said, Warzone's Security and Enforcement Policy states that using any software to gain an unfair advantage over other players and tamper with stats is against the rules and could result in a ban. I recommend you keep up-to-date with the latest Warzone policy to keep your account safe.
Some VPNs have weak security and can be easily detected by Warzone’s anti-cheat system as tampering software, which can result in a ban. Our top Warzone VPN uses automatic obfuscation to help disguise your encrypted traffic, helping you to protect your account from unjust bans.
Can I use NoLag VPN with Warzone?
NoLag VPN can be used for Warzone, but I don’t recommend it. It’s not a full-fledged VPN and doesn't offer advanced security features like a kill switch or split tunneling. Because of this, you’re better off with one of our recommended VPNs for Warzone.
Each VPN on this list will enhance your Warzone gameplay while also providing robust security and privacy features, making them a more comprehensive choice. Plus, unlike NoLag VPN, you can use them for streaming or secure browsing.
Will a Warzone VPN prevent internet throttling?
Yes, a quality VPN can prevent internet throttling and increase speeds in some cases. For example, your ISP may throttle speeds to discourage you from visiting certain sites or using too much bandwidth.
A VPN encrypts all your internet traffic, so your ISP can’t see where your traffic is going. This means it can’t restrict your bandwidth based on your online activity and you play Warzone without slowdowns.
That said, a VPN won’t prevent internet throttling if you’ve already exhausted your ISP data limit. And it also won’t work if your ISP has restricted bandwidth for all its users to handle network congestion.
Can I use a free VPN to play Call of Duty: Warzone?
Yes, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Many free VPNs come with capped speeds and limited data, so they’re not good for gaming. In addition, they often lack servers in locations where bot lobbies are common. It’s better to use a low-cost premium VPN that offers fast speeds, low ping, and plenty of servers.
Some free VPNs can also log your data and share it with third parties. This can put your privacy at risk, so it’s important to choose a VPN that’s safe and secure.
Get the Best VPN For Call of Duty: Warzone Today
A tried and tested VPN can vastly improve your Call of Duty: Warzone experience. You’ll be able to avoid SBMM and connect to bot lobbies and play with friends that live overseas. Plus, it’ll keep you safe from DDoS attacks and hackers.
Out of all the VPNs I’ve tested, ExpressVPN is my top recommendation. It offers industry-leading security features, fast speeds, and plenty of servers, making it an excellent choice for Call of Duty: Warzone. Since it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can test ExpressVPN with Warzone risk-free.
To summarize, these are the best Warzone VPNs…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.