How to Get a Hong Kong IP Address from Anywhere in 2019 [+VIDEO]
If you try to watch TVB or log in to your Hong Kong banking service from outside Hong Kong, you might find your access denied. Many Hong Kong websites block their content if your IP address doesn’t match their location, a process known as geoblocking.
If you want to view content in Hong Kong without restrictions, you’ll need a Hong Kong IP address. Getting one might sound difficult, but it is actually only takes a few easy steps.
All you need to get a Hong Kong IP is a virtual private network (VPN). We’ll show you how it’s done, and give you some tips for choosing the best VPN for you.
Quick Guide: How to Get a Hong Kong IP Address with a VPN
- Select a VPN with servers in Hong Kong. NordVPN is our #1 choice.
- Download the VPN software and install it on your computer or other device.
- Launch the software and connect to a server in Hong Kong.
- Check your new IP address using our special tool.
Table of Contents
- How a VPN Can Get You a Hong Kong IP Address
- A VPN Also Keeps You Safe & Lets You Stream Almost Anything
- What to Look For in a VPN
- The Best VPNs to Get a Hong Kong IP Address
When you subscribe to a top-rated VPN, you get access to a global network of secure servers. By connecting to a Hong Kong server, you send all your internet traffic through that server before it gets to any website. As a result, websites see the server’s Hong Kong IP, not yours.
This process, called VPN tunneling, makes it appear as though you are surfing the web from inside Hong Kong. You’ll be able to bypass the geoblocks and access everything you need in the region, while also enjoying many other benefits a quality VPN offers.
When you use public wi-fi, your data can be intercepted. Hackers can even hijack your device, which they often do to mine cryptocurrency. A good VPN encrypts all your information and stops anyone from tracing your activity back to you.
Hong Kong markets are highly competitive. To do business there, you need an insider’s edge. A VPN lets you browse local news and social sites to follow market trends. Your Hong Kong IP also helps you stay in contact with your clients and company while working remotely.
You should be aware, however, that a Hong Kong IP address will not give you access to Chinese networks. If you want to get past China’s Great Firewall, you will have to switch servers to get a Chinese IP address. The best VPNs allow unlimited server switching.
It is possible to change your IP using a free proxy or free VPN, but we don’t recommend them because the risks are too great. A lot of free proxies host unsafe ads, and many harvest and sell your data. Others use weak encryption that won’t protect your sensitive data.
Free VPNs are also poor choices for streaming. Their connections are slow, and streaming services that screen for VPNs can easily detect and block them.
A premium VPN won’t let you down for security, speed, or content access. The best VPNs give you safe, anonymous access to sites like Netflix, the BBC iPlayer and anything you need in Hong Kong.
- Servers in Hong Kong: You need at least one to get a Hong Kong IP address.
- Unblocking Capabilities: Choose a VPN that passed our tests for accessing US Netflix. VPNs with that can do that will easily unblock any site in Hong Kong.
- Tight Security: Make sure your VPN has AES encryption and advanced features like a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and double VPN (multi-hop).
- High Speed: A large network of fast servers ensures smooth streaming of your favorite Hong Kong shows, like Flying Tiger or The Forgotten Valley.
- User-friendly: Look for a provider with an intuitive interface and great customer support.
NordVPN has over 5,000 servers globally, with 48 in Hong Kong. It’s a popular choice for users looking for a Hong Kong IP. A strong security package includes AES encryption and a CyberSec suite that blocks ads and dangerous websites.
With NordVPN, you not only get fast connection speeds, but also a SmartPlay feature that helps you avoid geoblocks by automatically switching servers as needed. You can secure up to 6 devices under one account, so it’s a great option for families.
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it risk-free.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
ExpressVPN has 3,000+ servers around the world, including a Hong Kong location. You’ll have no trouble staying up to date with RTHK’s Hong Kong Connection. Users love it for streaming because of its unblocking capabilities and industry-leading speed.
With AES encryption, a no-logs policy, private DNS, and a kill switch, your data will be completely secure with ExpressVPN. It’s also easy to use and compatible with almost every device.
Give ExpressVPN a go for yourself with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
CyberGhost’s 256-bit AES encryption, automatic kill switch, no-logs policy, and DNS leak protection ensure that your online activity is always protected. With 24 servers in Hong Kong, CyberGhost gives you a choice of IP addresses for complete anonymity.
VPN beginners love CyberGhost’s user-friendly apps and dedicated profiles for common VPN uses. The preconfigured streaming profile makes it easy to watch the Hong Kong International Races with zero lag.
You can try CyberGhost with a free 24-hour trial, and subscribe knowing that you’re protected by a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
Surfshark VPN is a relatively new provider, with a rapidly growing networking of 500+ servers, including options in Hong Kong. Private DNS and a double VPN encryption chain will keep your data out of the wrong hands, no matter where you are.
Users are impressed by Surfshark’s consistent ability to bypass tough geoblocks like those on US Netflix. Great connection speeds and a CleanWeb feature mean buffer-free streaming without pop-up ads or malware threats.
Surfshark offers a 30-day money-back guarantee when you subscribe, so you can try it out with no risk.
Surfshark can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
Surfshark works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, FireTV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox.
Love bargains? Check out our deals page for the latest, best VPN offers, direct from providers.
Find out what countries have joined intelligence-sharing alliances, and where your country ranks for internet freedom and censorship.
Going on vacation? We’ll tell you how using a VPN keeps you safe while traveling.