How to Get a Singaporean IP Address from Anywhere in 2020 [+VIDEO]
If you’re outside Singapore, you could have issues watching TV shows on Toggle or 8TV. Getting into your online bank account could also cause you headaches. This all happens because of website access restrictions called geoblocks.
Certain websites only give you access if you have an IP address that matches their location. So if you want to get onto a geo-restricted website in Singapore, you need a Singaporean IP address.
Changing your IP might sound tricky, but it’s actually quick and easy. All you need to get an IP address in Singapore is a virtual private network (VPN). We’ll show you how to do it and give you some tips from our pros on how to choose the right VPN for you.
Quick Guide: How to Get a Singaporean IP Address with a VPN
- Select a VPN with servers in Singapore. NordVPNis our #1 choice.
- Download the VPN software and install it onto your computer or other device.
- Launch the software and connect to a server in Singapore.
- Click here to use our tool to check your new IP address.
Table of Contents
- How a VPN Can Get You a Singaporean IP Address
- A VPN Also Keeps You Safe & Lets You Stream Almost Anything
- What to Look For in a VPN
- The Best VPNs to Get a Singaporean IP Address
A VPN works by connecting your device to a server via a secure tunnel. Top VPN providers have servers spread around the world. If you want a Singapore IP address, you just need to select a server in Singapore.
Once you’re connected to the VPN server, all your internet traffic will be rerouted through Singapore. This will make it seem as through you are browsing from within the country, granting you access to the content you need.
A good VPN can do more than just change your apparent location, too. Read on to learn what other benefits you can enjoy with a VPN.
If you use email, messaging apps, or VoIP to stay in touch with friends and family, you should be aware that the Singapore Broadcasting Authority (SBA) monitors online traffic. A VPN uses advanced encryption and tracking prevention to ensure your conversations remain private.
For business people traveling abroad, limited access to your company networks and data files makes working remotely difficult. A VPN lets you stay connected with your company and clients, while also keeping your information secure.
Free IP changers, or proxies, will also give you a Singaporean IP address, but they’re not reliable. Their encryption is weak (or nonexistent), so if you’re doing business or banking online, you risk having your data intercepted.
So-called free VPNs are even worse. Their speeds are too slow for streaming, and their servers are often blacklisted by geoblocked websites, so you won’t get access even with a Singapore IP. Many free VPNs also gather and sell your data.
On the other hand, with a premium VPN, you’ll enjoy smooth streaming and unrestricted access to global content, including Netflix, Hulu, and anything you need in Singapore. You’ll never have to miss your daily fix of Morning Express.
- Servers in Singapore: You need at least one to get a Singapore IP address.
- Advanced Security: In addition to AES encryption, look for a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and double VPN (multi-hop server routing).
- Unlimited Server Switching: Being able to change servers means you can bypass Singaporean government censorship by switching quickly to a non-Singapore IP when you need one.
- Unblocking Capabilities: Choose a VPN that has a reputation for getting past the tough geo-restrictions on sites like the BBC iPlayer. This will ensure that you can easily access websites in Singapore.
- High Speed: A VPN with fast servers and unlimited bandwidth will give you smooth streaming and hassle-free uploads and downloads.
NordVPN boasts 52 servers in Singapore and more than 5,000 worldwide, so finding servers to suit your needs is easy. Its SmartPlay feature will automatically switch you to a server that can unblock any geo-restricted streaming site you want to reach.
NordVPN’s military-grade encryption and Double VPN (multi-hop encryption) ensure your online traffic is safe, while a unique CyberSec suite blocks malware and annoying pop-up ads.
Users love the intuitive interface on NordVPN’s apps, and that you can secure as many as 6 devices on one account. A 30-day money-back guarantee is available when you subscribe if you’d like to try NordVPN.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
ExpressVPN is a popular choice to get an IP address in Singapore, thanks to its industry-leading speed. It has 148 server locations, including 3 in Singapore.
ExpressVPN’s topnotch security includes split tunneling and a kill switch to give you complete control of when your data goes on the public web and when it doesn’t. ExpressVPN also operates under a no-logs policy, so your browsing history will disappear when you log off.
You can try ExpressVPN for yourself with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
CyberGhost has a global network of over 5,700 servers, including 36 in Singapore. It provides 256-bit AES encryption as well as an automatic kill switch to make sure your internet activity is always protected.
Users appreciate CyberGhost’s preconfigured profiles, which are optimized for your specific needs. For example, if you want to stream the F1 Singapore Grand Prix, the streaming profile will connect you to the fastest server that can access the race.
New CyberGhost subscribers get a free 24-hour trial, and you’ll be protected by a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
Surfshark VPN has 1041+ servers, with options in Singapore to get a new Singaporean IP address. Users have been won over by Surfshark’s ability to consistently bypass tough geoblocks like those on US Netflix.
Surfshark also competes well with our long-established providers in terms of security. Surfshark uses military-grade encryption, private DNS, and a double VPN chain that encrypts your data across two or more servers.
You can test Surfshark now with a 30-day money-back guarantee when you subscribe.
Surfshark can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
Surfshark works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, FireTV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox.
Want to save some cash on your VPN? Have a look on our deals page for some great offers.
If you’d like to see some more options for a Singaporean IP, check out our list of the best VPNs for Singapore.
You’ll never need to miss F1’s thrilling night race with our guide on how to watch the Singapore Grand Prix from anywhere.