How to Get a US (American) IP Address Anywhere in 2019 [+VIDEO]
You might have trouble accessing some of your favorite US websites like Netflix, HBO GO, or Hulu if you live or travel outside the US. This happens because some websites use geoblocking to keep their content inside US borders.
Geoblocks can even restrict your access to American regional news, business, and social sites, as well as your US online billing and banking services.
These restrictions are frustrating, but there is a fast, effective fix to the situation. In just four easy steps, you will have an American IP address and access to all your favorite content without any hassle.
Quick Guide: How to Get a USA IP Address with a VPN
- Select a VPN with servers in the US – NordVPN is our #1 choice.
- Download the VPN software and install it on your computer/device.
- Launch the software and connect to a server in the US.
- Check your new IP address using our easy online tool here.
A VPN provider with at least one server in the US will give you an American IP address and expand your access to US content. In the process, the VPN hides your true IP address, which convinces many geoblocked websites that you are inside the US.
With the right VPN, this masking will lift almost any geoblock on American content. The process is called VPN tunneling, and it actually does a lot more than just unblock restricted content.
Premium VPNs optimize their service so that you can stream content in high definition at blazing speeds, with no bandwidth restrictions. You can stay on top of local US news, sports, TV series, and more.
With access to firsthand information about American culture and trends, you can improve your English or conduct insider market research before expanding your business to the US.
VPNs also encrypt all the data that you send or receive on the internet, including passwords, online banking details, emails, and Skype conversations. Hackers and data harvesters will not be able to intercept your private information.
Great VPNs have a no-logs policy, which means that they will not monitor your internet activity. Nobody will be able to trace your browsing back to you, not even your internet service provider (ISP).
Using a free proxy service is another way to change your IP, but free proxies generally don’t offer strong encryption, which means they can leave your data exposed.
Free VPNs are often slow, offer limited bandwidth, and can’t give you access to popular services like Netflix and HBO GO. On top of all those problems, many free services host ads and sell your data to third parties.
The best premium VPNs can guarantee you anonymous and secure surfing, along with nearly unlimited access to US internet content.
- Servers in the US: Choose a VPN with at least one server in the US so that you can get an American IP address.
- Security: Look for a VPN with security measures like a kill switch and leak protection to minimize the risk of your data spilling onto the public internet.
- Guaranteed privacy: Choose a VPN that has military-grade encryption and a no-log policy to guarantee your anonymity.
- Speed: A high-speed VPN gives you seamless streaming and fast downloads.
- User-friendly: A VPN with user-friendly apps for all major platforms means easy installation and setup, even if you’re a VPN beginner.
You won’t have a problem getting an American IP with NordVPN’s global network of 5,200+ ultra-fast servers, including nearly 2,000 in the US alone.
Kill switch technology, military-grade encryption, and a no-logs policy mean that you can surf the internet anonymously from your home, office, or any public network.
A handy Quick Connect button is only one of the reasons why NordVPN is a user favorite. The VPN is easy to use from start to finish, but if you need any help, tech support agents are online 24/7.
You can test the service for yourself with a 30-day money-back guarantee, and you can secure up to 6 devices with one license.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers worldwide, including many in locations across 20 US states.
Security is a priority at ExpressVPN. The 256-bit AES encryption, DNS/IPv6 leak protection, and kill switch all work together to stop anyone from seeing your internet activity, including your ISP.
ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN we’ve tested, and customers love its speed. Users also consistently give the 24/7 live chat customer service a 5-star rating. You can connect up to 5 devices at once per license.
You can try ExpressVPN risk free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
Connect to any of CyberGhost’s 536 servers in the US for impressive connection speeds and excellent security. Our speed tests on a US server proved that you’ll have no trouble streaming American content without interruption.
Pre-configured profiles on the app make it extremely easy to set up your service. You can also choose optional offerings like data compression, ad blocking, and malware protection to enhance your experience.
CyberGhost gives you up to 45 days to claim your money back if you’re not satisfied for any reason.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
Surfshark has 500+ servers located in 50 countries around the world, including servers in 11 US states. The CleanWeb system blocks ads, trackers, and malware – protections that many VPNs don’t offer.
A cool WhiteLister feature lets you create a list of safe apps that can bypass the VPN when it’s necessary for a service to know your actual location. This is a great feature for location-specific apps like a parking app in the city where you’re staying.
Surfshark is also one of the very few premium VPNs that allow you to connect unlimited devices simultaneously on a single license. The 30-day money-back guarantee lets you see for yourself if the provider lives up to customer reviews.
Surfshark can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN, Amazon Prime Video, and others.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
Surfshark works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, FireTV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox.
Get great savings on top VPNs on our deals page.
If you’re new to VPNs, learn all the essentials with our 2019 VPN Guide for Newbies.
Find out how to stream Netflix outside of the US with a no-risk VPN trial.
Which VPNs really work with Hulu? Get the results of our expert tests.