How to Get a US (American) IP Address Anywhere in 2021
You might have trouble accessing some of your favorite US websites like Netflix, HBO GO, or Hulu if you live or travel outside the US. This happens because some websites use geoblocking to keep their content inside US borders.
Geoblocks can even restrict your access to American regional news, business, and social sites, as well as your US online billing and banking services.
These restrictions are frustrating, but there is a fast, effective fix to the situation. In just four easy steps, you will have an American IP address and access to all your favorite content without any hassle.
Quick Guide: How to Get a USA IP Address with a VPN
- Choose a VPN. ExpressVPN is our #1 choice for reliable, strong connections.
- Install the VPN and connect to a server in the US.
- Check your new IP address using our easy online tool here.
How a VPN Can Get You an American IP Address
A VPN provider with at least one server in the US will give you an American IP address and expand your access to US content. In the process, the VPN hides your true IP address, which convinces many geoblocked websites that you are inside the US.
With the right VPN, this masking will lift almost any geoblock on American content. The process is called VPN tunneling, and it actually does a lot more than just unblock restricted content.
A VPN Also Keeps You Safe & Lets You Stream Almost Anything
Premium VPNs optimize their service so that you can stream content in high definition at blazing speeds, with no bandwidth restrictions. You can stay on top of local US news, sports, TV series, and more.
With access to firsthand information about American culture and trends, you can improve your English or conduct insider market research before expanding your business to the US.
VPNs also encrypt all the data that you send or receive on the internet, including passwords, online banking details, emails, and Skype conversations. Hackers and data harvesters will not be able to intercept your private information.
Great VPNs have a no-logs policy, which means that they will not monitor your internet activity. Nobody will be able to trace your browsing back to you, not even your internet service provider (ISP).
Using a free proxy service is another way to change your IP, but free proxies generally don’t offer strong encryption, which means they can leave your data exposed.
Free VPNs are often slow, offer limited bandwidth, and can’t give you access to popular services like Netflix and HBO GO. On top of all those problems, many free services host ads and sell your data to third parties.
The best premium VPNs can guarantee you anonymous and secure surfing, along with nearly unlimited access to US internet content.
What to Look For in a VPN
- Servers in the US: Choose a VPN with at least one server in the US so that you can get an American IP address.
- Security: Look for a VPN with security measures like a kill switch and leak protection to minimize the risk of your data spilling onto the public internet.
- Guaranteed privacy: Choose a VPN that has military-grade encryption and a no-log policy to guarantee your anonymity.
- Speed: A high-speed VPN gives you seamless streaming and fast downloads.
- User-friendly: A VPN with user-friendly apps for all major platforms means easy installation and setup, even if you’re a VPN beginner.
The Best VPNs to Get an American IP Address
ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers worldwide, including many in locations across 20 US states.
Security is a priority at ExpressVPN. The 256-bit AES encryption, DNS/IPv6 leak protection, and kill switch all work together to stop anyone from seeing your internet activity, including your ISP.
ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN we’ve tested, and customers love its speed. Users also consistently give the 24/7 live chat customer service a 5-star rating. You can connect up to5 devices at once per license.
You can try ExpressVPN risk free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.Need more info? Here’s our detailed expert review of ExpressVPN.
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
Connect to any of CyberGhost’s 536 servers in the US for impressive connection speeds and excellent security. Our speed tests on a US server proved that you’ll have no trouble streaming American content without interruption.
Pre-configured profiles on the app make it extremely easy to set up your service. You can also choose optional offerings like data compression, ad blocking, and malware protection to enhance your experience.
CyberGhost gives you up to 45-days to claim your money back if you’re not satisfied for any reason.Need More Info? Here’s our detailed expert review of CyberGhost.
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
Get great savings on top VPNs on our deals page.
If you’re new to VPNs, learn all the essentials with our 2021 VPN Guide for Newbies.
Find out how to stream Netflix outside of the US with a no-risk VPN trial.
Which VPNs really work with Hulu? Get the results of our expert tests.
To summarize, the best VPNs to Get a US (American) IP Address from anywhere in 2021 are…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.