How to Get an India IP Address from Anywhere in 2020 [+VIDEO]
If you have been denied access to Hotstar or Star Sports, it’s probably because your IP address says you’re not in India. You might also have trouble accessing your Indian bank portal or find different prices than you expected while shopping online.
Many websites use filters called geoblocks to deny or limit your access based on your location.The filters look at your IP address to find our where you are. Geoblocks can also be used to make users in some regions pay more than users in India.
It’s an annoying problem, but it’s also an easy one to solve. All you need is a VPN with servers in India to change your IP address and hide your true location.
Quick Guide: How to Get an Indian IP Address with a VPN
- Choose a VPN. NordVPN is our pick for an Indian IP address.
- Install the VPN and connect to an Indian server.
- Use this tool to check your new IP address.
Your IP address can thought of as your digital fingerprint. It tells websites and services where you are, and the result can be blocked or limited access when sites are geo-restricted.
When you connect to a VPN, your traffic is diverted through a private server within the network. This process, called VPN tunneling, gives your traffic a new IP address that shows the location of the VPN server, not your actual location.
If you connect to a server in India using a quality VPN that masks your true location completely, every website will think you’re really in India.
There are lots of advantages to switching your IP address with a VPN. An Indian IP address will let you unlock streaming content like Hotstar or access your Indian bank account from outside the country. And that’s just the beginning.
With your new address, you can also do insider research on Indian business markets, and use Google and Facebook in Hindi by default.
The best VPNs give you access to servers all over the world. That means you can also unlock almost any geoblocked content, like US Netflix or the BBC iPlayer.
There are other options to change your IP address, but they come with their own sets of problems. Free VPNs and proxy services are less secure than premium VPNs. They use weaker encryption and P2P networks, which leave you vulnerable to hacking and spying.
On top of that, free IP switchers are much easier for websites to spot. If a restricted website doesn’t believe your Indian IP is legitimate, you’ll hit the same geoblocks as you did with our original IP address.
To easily unlock Indian sites and also get around web content censorship within the country, a quality VPN is your best choice. You can switch locations anonymously as often as you like to surf as an India resident or as an outsider – whichever is best for your purpose.
Furthermore, a top VPN’s strong encryption will allow you to communicate with friends and family in India with no worries about hacking or government surveillance. For the best protection, make sure your loved ones use a VPN, too.
- Servers in India: If you want an Indian IP address, you’ll need at least one.
- High Speeds: If you want to avoid lag and buffering when you stream, look for fast connections and unlimited bandwidth.
- Secure encryption: Look for Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), the most secure encryption type available today.
- No logs policy: Make sure your VPN doesn’t record user information or details about your online activity.
- User-friendly apps: The best apps will offer simple, preconfigured settings and will let you switch locations easily.
NordVPN is one of our best-rated VPNs, and users love its fast download speeds. The network offers more than 5,000 servers in 62 countries worldwide, including 15 in India.
The servers support P2P activity, including torrenting. NordVPN offers an impressive selection of security features, including a kill switch, double encryption, and DNS leak protection. The unique CyberSec feature also blocks ads and malware.
If you’re not sure whether NordVPN is for you, you can try it out and take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
When it comes to server speed, ExpressVPN lives up to its name. According to our own tests, ExpressVPN offers the fastest connections on the VPN market, and the network can get around geoblocks reliably.
ExpressVPN’s server network is impressive. You can connect to 148 locations worldwide, including Mumbai and Delhi.
ExpressVPN’s security features ensure that your real IP address stays hidden at all times, even if your server connection drops. These include military-grade AES-256 bit encryption, a range of security protocols, DNS leak protection, a strict no-logs policy, and a built-in kill switch.
ExpressVPN is not the cheapest VPN, but considering its high-end features, it’s still one of the best values. New users can sign up with the peace of mind of a 30-day money-back guarantee.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
CyberGhost is a user favorite, and it’s one of the best-value premium VPNs we’ve ever reviewed. With more than 5,700 servers in 90 countries worldwide, CyberGhost offers 20 servers in India alone.
CyberGhost uses secure AES-256 bit encryption, and the apps include advanced security features like a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a built in ad and malware blocker. Dedicated streaming and torrenting profiles automatically choose the best servers for your needs.
New users enjoy a 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
You are exposing yourself to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend NordVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 68% off.