How to Download ExpressVPN and Install it on Windows (2024)
ExpressVPN is very easy to install and use on Windows, and its intuitiveness is among its greatest advantages. It is one of the most widely respected services among VPN users due to its high-speed servers and reliable TrustedServer technology with a wide array of locations.
What’s more, you can download and install ExpressVPN on your Windows risk-free, as it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Its plans can be somewhat pricy, but the features it offers are well worth the money.
How to Download and Install ExpressVPN on Windows: 4 Easy Methods
There are a few different ways in which you can install ExpressVPN on your Windows device, and I will go over them in these step-by-step guides. You'll find there are separate downloads for Windows 10 and 11 (optimized for Lightway without the speed test feature) and for Windows 7 and 8 (less optimized for Lightway but with a speed test feature). Since the installation process is very easy with all 4 methods, you will be able to use ExpressVPN in no time.
Install ExpressVPN’s Native App on Windows
- Sign up for ExpressVPN. To get ExpressVPN, you need to choose a pricing plan. Then, create your account.
- Download ExpressVPN for Windows. After you sign up for the service, you can click on the Setup button in the top left corner, which will take you to installation options for various devices, including Windows. You will also be prompted to copy an activation code to your clipboard, which you’ll need in step 4.
- Run the ExpressVPN Windows installer. Find the file in your browser’s downloads bar and click on it. You might need to give it a 1-click permission, but otherwise, it should start installing automatically.
- Sign in and paste the copied activation code. Once you have entered your code, click on "Continue." This will take you to the VPN app.
- Connect to a server of your choice. Depending on what you need the VPN for, you can connect to a wide array of ExpressVPN’s server locations. It has 3,000 fast servers in 105 countries.
- You’re all set. Now you can surf the internet safely.
Install ExpressVPN’s Web Browser Extension
ExpressVPN offers browser extensions for Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge that you can use on your Windows device.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN. Follow the steps from above to create an account.
- Find the browser extension for ExpressVPN. You can find it by clicking on the Setup button in the top right corner. There, you will find a list of all supported devices and platforms, including browser extensions.
- Click on the “Get Extension” button. For Chrome, you will be taken to the Chrome Web Store. Click on the “Add to Chrome” button. This will automatically download and install the extension to your browser.
If you’re using Mozilla Firefox, you will be taken to the Firefox Browser Add-ons store, for which the process is the same.
For Microsoft Edge, you will have to allow extensions from other stores. Once you click on "Get Extension," it will take you to the Chrome Web Store on your Edge browser. Then a pop-up will appear to allow extensions from other web stores.
- Now you will have your preferred ExpressVPN extension on your browser.
Set ExpressVPN Up Manually via the OpenVPN Protocol
If you have an older version of Windows, such as Vista or XP, you will need to manually set up ExpressVPN via the OpenVPN protocol. But if you need, you can also use this setup for Windows 7, 8, and 10. Though, it's recommended to get the native app for those versions as the setup is much simpler like that.
- Sign up for your ExpressVPN account on the website. Use the same steps as the first guide. Then, sign into your account.
- On your Dashboard, click on “More” to get to “Manual Configuration.” You’ll be taken to the Setup page, and when you select “Manual Configuration,” you’ll be given a unique username and password. You’ll also be prompted to choose the location(s) you need to initiate the.ovpn file downloading.
- Download the OpenVPN GUI. Go to the OpenVPN website and select the appropriate version for your Windows OS to download it. Then, click on the file in your downloads bar and run the installer.
- Install the OpenVPN GUI. Once you run the installer, you’ll be prompted to either “Install Now” or “Customize”. Choose “Install Now,” and the installation will finish in a couple of seconds.
- Open the file location of your OpenVPN GUI. Go to the OpenVPN GUI icon on your desktop and select “Open file location.” Then, the file explorer window will pop up. Click on the OpenVPN folder in the address bar.
- Add the.ovpn file(s) to the config folder. Once you’re in the OpenVPN folder, you’ll see the config folder where you’ll need to add the.ovpn file(s) from step 2. You’ll have to grant permission for each file by clicking “Continue.”
- Add your OpenVPN GUI as an icon in the system tray. Go to the OpenVPN GUI shortcut on your desktop, right-click on it, and select “Run as administrator.” Click “Yes” when prompted to allow OpenVPN to make changes to your device.
- Connect to your preferred ExpressVPN location. Right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon in the system tray. You’ll see all the locations you downloaded earlier. Hover over your preferred one to get to the "Connect" button.
- Enter the username and password from step 2. After that, you’ll get a notification that you’ve been successfully connected to your chosen ExpressVPN location.
Set ExpressVPN Up on Multiple Devices
ExpressVPN can be set up on unlimited devices but can be used on a maximum of 8 devices simultaneously.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN and sign into your app.
- In the app’s Dashboard, click on the burger menu in the top left corner. Here, you will find an option that says “Secure All Your Devices.”
- Click on “Email Setup Link.” You will instantly be sent an email with the setup link and will get notified that your email is ready.
- In your email, click on “Set Up Now” to finish the installation. If you click on the link on every device that you need ExpressVPN on, you will be instantly taken to the website to finish the installation process.
- Finish installing. Download ExpressVPN and set it up on your devices.
- Connect to a server of your choice. Now you can safely browse the internet with ExpressVPN.
Troubleshooting ExpressVPN on Windows
Can’t Install ExpressVPN?
If you’re having issues with installing ExpressVPN, there can be a few possible causes and solutions.
- Error 0x80070005. This error is most likely caused by an error in your system permissions. Keep in mind you will need to run the installer after each step.
To fix it, you need to right-click the ExpressVPN installer file and run it as administrator. Just make sure that you first quit the ExpressVPN app if it’s running.
The next step is to disable your firewall, antivirus, and any anti-spyware you have installed, and then try installing ExpressVPN again.
- Error 0x80070643. This is another error you can possibly get while installing ExpressVPN, and to solve it, you need to run the installer after each step.
First, you will need to restart your Windows device in order to complete any possible pending updates. Second, you will need to disable your antivirus, firewall, or anti-spyware program. Finally, you will need to restart the Windows installer service — this can be done by opening “cmd.exe.” There, search for “services.msc,” which will take you to the Services window. In it, click on Windows Installer, and then click on Restart.
- Error 0x80070652. This error is caused by some other application being installed on your device at the same time. To fix the issue, complete that installation first, and when it’s done, you should be able to install ExpressVPN without further problems.
Can’t Sign Into ExpressVPN?
Several factors can contribute to difficulties when attempting to sign into ExpressVPN. In the following discussion, we will explore the potential causes of these issues and provide effective solutions to resolve them.
- There is a possibility that you cannot sign in to ExpressVPN because it’s not up to date. Try downloading the latest Windows app version and then run the service again. After that, you should be able to sign in without problems.
- The sign-in process could be blocked by an antivirus, firewall, or anti-spyware that you use. You might need to add the VPN service as an exception to such applications in order to be able to sign in.
Depending on which security apps you use, you might need to set them to trust ExpressVPN, set their security level to a lesser one, or disable the app altogether. For specific instructions on how to do this, you might want to contact the customer support of your security apps, which can help guide you through the process.
- When signing in to ExpressVPN, you can accidentally type in your password or an activation code incorrectly. It’s possible that you’re typing your credentials incorrectly, so you can copy and paste them instead to avoid any possible typos.
- You may need to switch to another internet connection type.
Since some kinds of connections are able to block out VPN services, you can try to change your connection in order to prevent this from happening. The easiest way would be to turn on your smartphone’s hotspot and then connect your Windows device to that connection.
- You can always try contacting ExpressVPN’s customer support. If all else fails, you can get help from the VPN’s staff. They offer help via email and live chat 24/7 and will be able to assist and guide you through any issue you are having.
How to Use ExpressVPN on Windows
Using ExpressVPN on Windows is straightforward, with all functionalities conveniently available through the VPN application's user interface.
Connecting and disconnecting to a server is very easy — all you have to do is click the big power button on the home screen.
You can also choose the server you want to connect to by clicking on the three dots on the Selected Location bar. You will see a list of available servers, which you can click on to connect.
On the list of available servers, you can star the servers you want to keep in order to save them as your favorites — this will create a special Favorites list that you can access in a second.
If you click on the three lines in the top left corner and then click on Options, you will be able to customize the VPN according to your wishes. For example, in General settings, you can enable split tunneling, which enables you to choose which apps to use ExpressVPN and which to bypass it.
You can also enable Network Lock (the kill switch), which helps keep your connection secure by disconnecting you from the internet if your VPN connection drops. It worked as intended during testing and made sure my IP didn't leak.
In the Protocol tab of settings, you can choose between a few different protocols to use. There are two Lightway and OpenVPN protocol types (UDP and TCP), and each has a description to help you pick what you need. If you’d rather not think about it, you can simply choose the Automatic protocol and let ExpressVPN choose the best one for you.
In the Shortcuts tab, you can create shortcuts to some of your favorite internet pages and websites that will appear on the home screen once you’re connected to the VPN.
FAQs on Opening an ExpressVPN Account and Installing it on Windows
Can I get ExpressVPN on Windows for free?
You can’t get ExpressVPN on Windows for free, but you can try all its features out risk-free for a while. It offers a reliable 30-day money-back guarantee to its new users, so you can test it out on your devices and decide if the service is good for you. If not, you can ask for a refund, and customer support will process your request.
There are free VPNs out there, but testing has showed that they are not worth as much as ExpressVPN. They are usually unsafe, unreliable, have strict data and bandwidth caps, and, more often than not, have a very small number of available servers.
How can I uninstall ExpressVPN from my Windows?
Uninstalling ExpressVPN from your Windows is just as easy as uninstalling any program you have on it. You can simply do it from your Windows Settings, in the Apps menu or Add/Remove programs option, depending on which Windows version you have.
In this setting, you can find ExpressVPN in the list of your installed apps. You can choose to uninstall or modify it. Once you choose to uninstall it, ExpressVPN will uninstall the app from your device. If you need to install it again afterward, follow this guide.
What steps should I take to cancel my ExpressVPN subscription?
Canceling your ExpressVPN subscription is quite easy. ExpressVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee to its customers.
You can cancel your subscription via ExpressVPN’s live chat that's available 24/7. I tested this out and found that its customer service was able to process my request really fast. The helpful staff was able to grant me a refund in only a few days.
Does downloading and installing ExpressVPN on Windows require a credit card?
In short, yes, downloading and installing ExpressVPN on Windows does require a credit card. While the service offers a good, reliable money-back guarantee, you will have to pay for a plan to try it out.
However, in case you end up dissatisfied, you can ask customer service for a refund. ExpressVPN’s staff will process your refund request quite quickly without asking too many questions.
Does ExpressVPN offer a referral program?
Yes, ExpressVPN offers a referral program. With it, you can earn more free days of using this VPN service. This program is another great perk you can get by signing up for ExpressVPN.
You can access this program with the Refer friends option in your Dashboard. All you need to do is refer your friends through your ExpressVPN account. If your friend decides to sign up, you both get 30 days of free ExpressVPN service. The more friends you refer, the more free days you can get.
Install ExpressVPN on Windows in Minutes
Installing ExpressVPN on Windows is nearly effortless and can be done within a matter of minutes. The installation of this VPN is very straightforward since it has a native Windows app, so you will simply need to download it and run the installer on your device. You will have an easy time following the needed steps and connecting to the server location you want. If you want to see for yourself how easy it is to install and use ExpressVPN, you can try it out risk-free as it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To summarize, it’s easy and risk-free to install ExpressVPN on Windows
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.