How to Watch the NBA Games Live Online in 2024
- Quick Guide: How to Watch the 2024 NBA Season Live Online in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPNs to Live-Stream NBA Games Live Online in 2024
- ExpressVPN — Excellent Speeds to Watch NBA Games Live in UHD
- CyberGhost — Optimized Servers for Straightforward NBA Streaming
- Private Internet Access — Vast Network for Full NBA Coverage Around the World
- Where Can I Watch the NBA 2024 Season Online
- How to Sign Up for the Global NBA League Pass to Watch All Games Live
- How to Watch NBA on Different Devices With a VPN
- FAQs on Watching the NBA With a VPN
- Watch the NBA Games Live in Minutes
Signing up for the international NBA League Pass is one of the cheapest ways to watch all out-of-market games live. One exception to this is Canada, which is still subject to some regional blackouts.
If you’re in Canada (or another country where the NBA League Pass is blocked), a VPN can make it look like you’re streaming from a region where all NBA games are available live — so this is theoretically one solution. However, using a VPN to watch the NBA pre-season, playoffs, finals, and full-season games can go against the terms and conditions of your streaming provider. In some instances, it can also go against copyright laws.
If you’re in a country that supports the international NBA League Pass though, a VPN can help you watch safely and in HD. I tested 30+ top VPNs and found ExpressVPN is ideal for watching NBA live. It provides the fastest speeds so you can stream NBA games, like Trail Blazers vs. Pelicans, without buffering. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee that means you can try ExpressVPN risk-free.
Quick Guide: How to Watch the 2024 NBA Season Live Online in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because its global network of fast servers enables you to watch NBA games live in UHD.
- Connect to a local server. Choose a server in your country to get the fastest speeds for streaming games without buffering.
- Start watching the NBA. Enjoy all the live NBA matches you like.
Best VPNs to Live-Stream NBA Games Live Online in 2024
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|The fastest VPN I tested for watching NBA games without buffering
|Only a 5.5% speed loss. Great for watching all the sports action
|3,000 servers in 105 countries that work with the International League Pass
|Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, routers, smart TVs, and more
Thanks to ExpressVPN’s excellent speeds, you can watch all NBA games in picture-perfect quality. I experienced the intensity of every shoot, dribble, and dunk as the players battled for victory. My speed dropped by only 5.5% when I ran tests on several servers in the UK, Germany, and France — from a 127.15 Mbps base connection to 120.10 Mbps. I recommend using the VPN's Lightway protocol since it uses less code, making for even faster streaming.
You also won’t have trouble finding a server to watch NBA games live as ExpressVPN’s network is massive. I used the New York server to watch games with my NBA League Pass from the US. I tested ExpressVPN with other sports streaming services too, and had no problem streaming Grizzlies vs. Lakers on my Hulu + Live account on the same server.
The VPN allows up to 8 simultaneous connections, which means you can keep an eye on more than one NBA game at a time by streaming on different devices. Or, let someone else in your household stream Netflix or Hulu while you catch up on the latest scores. I tested the VPN out on 4 devices at once and didn't notice any drop in performance.
Using its MediaStreamer feature, you can watch the NBA playoffs on the big screen. This feature lets you connect ExpressVPN on devices not usually compatible with VPNs, like smart TVs and gaming consoles, but only works with UK and US content. It also boosts your speed since it doesn't encrypt your traffic. Following its website's step-by-step instructions, I watched my favorite basketball highlights on my older LG TV in about 7 minutes.
It is the most expensive VPN on this list, starting at $6.67/month. However, ExpressVPN regularly offers great deals and discounts. I got 49% off and three months of service for free when I signed up for a long-term plan.
All subscriptions also come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out risk-free. I tested this claim, so you don’t have to. When I contacted customer support via live chat, the agent asked me a few standard questions about my experience and approved my refund. I received the money in my bank account 4 days later.
- Split tunneling. This allows you to choose which apps use the VPN connection and which don’t. This can be useful for streaming because it enables you to use your NBA League Pass through the VPN while online banking via your regular internet connection (to avoid triggering any alerts).
- Unlimited bandwidth. You can stream as much content as you want (and stop your ISP from throttling your speed) without worrying about data caps.
- 24/7 customer support. ExpressVPN offers 24/7 customer support via live chat and email. I got an immediate response (from a human) when using the live chat service.
|Dedicated servers to watch the NBA playoffs without cable
|A slight reduction in my average download speed, from 127.54 Mbps to 122.83 Mbps
|11,683 servers distributed in 100 countries for a reliable and stable connection
|Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, routers, smart TVs, and more
CyberGhost’s optimized servers make watching NBA streaming sites like Sling TV easy. Simply expand the app, click For Streaming in the right-hand menu, and type your preferred platform into the search bar. From the US, I tested CyberGhost servers optimized for sports streaming, including YouTube TV and used my accounts within seconds. With its usual servers also conveniently alphabetized according to country, it was easy to find the right one.
Although slower than ExpressVPN, CyberGhost is great for watching NBA games without delays. I got really good connection speeds during my tests, with only a 9% drop. That’s fast for a VPN and made me feel like I was part of the game. Plus, it allows up to 7 simultaneous connections without a noticeable reduction in video quality.
The only downside is that monthly plans are pricey and have a short 14-day money-back guarantee period. But long-term subscriptions are affordable at only $2.03/month with all the same features.
It also gives you an extended money-back guarantee, so you can test CyberGhost free for 45 days and get a full refund if you aren’t 100% satisfied. I used 24/7 live chat support to request a refund and found it hassle-free; they didn't even ask me any questions. My PayPal account was credited after 4 working days.
- Dedicated IP addresses. For a small extra fee, you can subscribe to a dedicated IP that allows for exclusive use. This helps you avoid VPN blocks on NBA official streaming sites.
- User-friendly interface. If you’re unfamiliar with VPNs, I recommend CyberGhost as a beginner-friendly option. It's easy to navigate and apps for different devices look similar.
- Router compatibility. You can install CyberGhost on your router and use it on all your WiFi-connected devices. This allows you to watch NBA full-season games on your smart TV.
|Large network to reliably use your International League Pass
|Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for a smooth streaming experience
|29,650 servers in 91 countries to never miss a NBA game
|Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, routers, smart TVs, and more
Private Internet Access (PIA) has thousands of servers worldwide, making it easy to find one in your region. So you can protect your privacy with the VPN and still have a front-row virtual seat to this season’s NBA games. From the US, I used my Hulu + Live TV account during my tests and streamed Trail Blazers vs. Pelicans without issues.
In addition to reducing congestion-related delays, its sizable server network is also fast. I only noticed a speed decline of more than 20% when I was connected to a server in Brazil, which was over 5,000 miles away from my location. However, I still experienced uninterrupted streaming without any buffering while watching pre-season games on the NBA League Pass from the US.
For those unfamiliar with VPNs, PIA's settings may seem complex. However, the app is preconfigured for streaming, enabling you to watch NBA games right away.
PIA offers three subscription options, starting at $2.03/month. I'm always looking for ways to save money, so I opted for the 2-year plan as it's the most affordable in the long run. If you're not ready to commit, you can try PIA first with its 30-day money-back guarantee and claim a refund if it's not for you.
- Stream on any device. Installing PIA on your router allows you to watch NBA games on your favorite devices. I installed the VPN on my Asus router in less than 10 minutes.
- Simultaneous device support. Unlimited simultaneous device connections to stream conflicting NBA games at the same time.
- SOCKS5 proxy. Enhance streaming performance by ditching the encryption.
Where Can I Watch the NBA 2024 Season Online
If you are subscribed to cable, you have the option to watch NBA games on channels like NBA TV, TBA, TNT, ABC, and ESPN. However, for those like me who have been without cable for years, you can still catch all the thrilling action online through the Global NBA League Pass. Additionally, I have provided a list of other streaming platforms below that will broadcast NBA games, although certain games may be restricted due to broadcasting rights.
|Price per Month
|NBA League Pass
|Worldwide (certain games in the US and Canada are subject to blackouts)
|Varies depending on your country
|Amazon Prime (With NBA League Pass)
|30 days (Amazon Prime); 7 days (League Pass add-on)
|Hulu + Live TV
Where to Watch NBA Games in the US and Canada
Cable TV users in the US can watch NBA games live on channels like NBA TV, TBA, TNT, ABC, and ESPN. In Canada, NBA games are available on sports channels like Sportsnet NOW and TSN.
You can also watch NBA without cable by subscribing to streaming services, like FuboTV, Sling, DirecTV, Hulu + Live TV, and YouTube TV US, which offer some or all of these channels. For Canadians, both Sportsnet and TSN can be streamed. The NBA’s official streaming service, League Pass, is also available in both the US and Canada.
However, there are hundreds of NBA games in a season, and none of these channels have the right to broadcast them all independently. That means that even national providers, like ESPN, will have games that are blacked out in your area, especially for your local NBA team.
Also, the Global NBA League Pass can only show out-of-market games live that aren’t owned by local or national providers in the US and Canada. These blacked-out games can usually be watched after a delay of 3 hours for nationally broadcast games and 3 days for locally televised games. Unfortunately, that includes the NBA playoffs and finals.
To watch the entire NBA season live, including playoffs and finals, you’ll need a combination of multiple channels and NBA League Pass.
These broadcasting agreements also change every season, so you’ll need to check your preferred streaming platform’s channel lineup and programming to see what games are available.
Where to Watch NBA Games Overseas (UK, India, Australia, and More)
Without local blackouts to worry about, watching NBA games live overseas is much simpler. Some countries have cable TV services with NBA coverage, like Sky Sports TV in the UK, Foxtel (which offers ESPN) in Australia, and Sports18 in India. Additionally, Australians can stream select NBA games live on Kayo Sports.
However, if you’re in any other country except the US and Canada, like Mexico, Norway, or Costa Rica, the most convenient way to watch all NBA games is by using the NBA League Pass. League Pass allows everyone outside the US to watch all games for the entire NBA season live and on-demand. While it differs by country, pricing for League Pass usually starts at $14.99/month.
Note: League Pass is available in all countries except for Belarus, China, Cuba, Iran, Japan, Kosovo, Myanmar, North Korea, Russia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Syria.
How to Sign Up for the Global NBA League Pass to Watch All Games Live
- Head to the site. Go to the NBA League Pass website and choose your plan. You can pay per month or season. There's also a premium version available if you want access on 2 devices simultaneously and no commercials.
- Create an NBA ID. Provide an email address, your birth date, and your country.
- Enter payment details. You'll be directed to the Billing Info page. The NBA League Pass accepts all major credit cards.
- Hit Submit to complete your purchase. Start enjoying the new NBA season.
How to Watch NBA on Different Devices With a VPN
The League Pass app is available on many different devices, including iOS, Android, Android TV, Apple TV, Xbox, Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick, PlayStation 4 and 5, and Apple Watch. I purposefully selected VPNs with wide-ranging device support, so you can watch all the NBA games live on your preferred device.
How to Watch NBA Games on Mobile (iPhone/Android), PC, and Fire Stick
The easiest way to use a VPN to watch NBA games online is to download and install the official app on your device. This way, you’ll have access to all the features and settings of a modern VPN with an intuitive interface.
- Download the VPN. You can find apps for most VPNs on your device’s official app store. I recommend ExpressVPN, thanks to its simple, one-click app interface.
- Connect to a server. Launch the app and select a server from the list. Choose a server in your country for the best speeds.
- Watch NBA games live. You can now launch the League Pass app or visit the website of your favorite streaming service to watch the NBA.
How to Watch NBA Games on Roku or Kodi
For devices like Roku and media players like Kodi that don’t natively support VPNs, the simplest option is to configure a VPN connection on your router. Luckily, most good VPNs are compatible with popular router brands and provide easy-to-follow setup guides on their websites.
- Check your router. Find out what brand and model of router you have. Not all routers support VPNs, and not all VPNs support all routers. The VPN vendor should list which routers it supports on its website.
- Sign up for a VPN. Choose a VPN provider. If you have an Asus, Linksys, or Netgear router, I recommend ExpressVPN, as it offers a router app and firmware that makes configuration much easier.
- Configure the VPN on your router. Find the appropriate setup guide for your VPN and router combination and follow the step-by-step instructions. Once setup is complete, all devices connected to your router will be using the VPN.
- Connect to a server. How to do this will vary depending on what router and VPN you use. Make sure to connect to an appropriate server to watch NBA.
- Watch NBA games live. You can now connect your Roku or Kodi device to your VPN router and launch the NBA app to stream games online.
FAQs on Watching the NBA With a VPN
Can I watch NBA games live for free?
Technically no, but you can watch it for free for a short period. Streaming services, like FuboTV, YouTube TV, and DirecTV offer free trials to watch the games for a limited time. All the recommended VPNs on this list also have money-back guarantees (at least 30 days), so you can watch NBA games from your location.
Where can I watch the NBA playoffs and finals?
The only way to stream all NBA playoffs and finals live is to sign up for the Global NBA League Pass. Cable TV providers like ABC, ESPN, TNT, and NBA TV each only have rights to broadcast some NBA playoff games, while ABC has exclusive rights to the NBA finals. Some playoffs and finals are also subject to local blackouts.
Why are there blackouts in NBA games?
NBA blackouts are typically due to contractual agreements or regional restrictions enforced by the NBA, its partners, or its broadcasters. This means some games are unavailable for live streaming where you are. Theoretically, a VPN can help you watch all NBA games, including out-of-market coverage. However, this goes against most streaming platform terms and conditions — as well as possibly amounting to copyright infringement.
How do I watch the NBA without cable?
You can use the League Pass to watch NBA games online. Even though NBA games can be streamed on other platforms, like Sling TV and Sky Sports. I like the Global NBA League Pass as it gives you access to every game in the season without blackouts, except in the US and Canada. Certain games with the League Pass in these 2 countries are subject to blackouts and restrictions.
Does Amazon Prime have NBA games?
Yes. If you have a US Amazon Prime membership, you can add the NBA League Pass to your account. Unlike the standalone League Pass service, this add-on still comes with a 7-day free trial. Unfortunately, you might not be able to access the entire season’s NBA games due to regional blackouts in the US and Canada.
Can I watch the 2024 NBA with a free VPN?
Possibly, but I don't recommend it. At best, free VPNs are unreliable and never work as promised because they limit speed and server access. At worst, they could put your data security at serious risk. A premium VPN with a trustworthy money-back guarantee is a more reliable option.
Since free VPNs don’t make money from subscriptions, they have to get revenue in other ways. Some have even been caught logging and selling your information to advertisers. Others make money from ads, which means lots of annoying pop-ups disrupting the game.
Watch the NBA Games Live in Minutes
It shouldn’t be such a challenge to watch the NBA playoffs, pre-season, and full-season games without buffering or connection drops. Thankfully, a good VPN can help you watch all NBA games live online in the best quality.
I recommend ExpressVPN for watching NBA games live because it has the fastest speeds and a global network of servers for uninterrupted streaming. As a bonus, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try ExpressVPN out for yourself risk-free.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for watching the NBA games live…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.