How to Change PSN Region on Your PS4 or PS5 in 2024
- Quick Guide: How to Change PSN Region With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- How to Change Your PSN Region on PS4 and PS5
- How to Buy Games With Your International PSN Account
- Best VPNs to Change Your PlayStation Region in 2024
- ExpressVPN — Easiest To Use and Most Reliable for Changing PSN Regions
- CyberGhost — PlayStation-Optimized Smart DNS to Access More Content
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — Tons of Servers Worldwide to Access PS Content Anywhere
- NordVPN — Impressive Speeds for Gaming and Streaming on PlayStation
- Surfshark — Great-Value PlayStation VPN That Works on Many Devices at Once
- Quick Comparison Table: PlayStation VPN Features
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Changing Your PSN Region
- How to Set up a VPN on Your PlayStation Console (PS4 or PS5)
- FAQs on Changing Your PSN Region
- Access More Content on Your PlayStation in Minutes
It's frustrating that PlayStation locks your region when you create your account. So you need to make another to access geo-restricted games and streaming apps. Luckily, there's an easy way to change your virtual location.
A VPN is a simple app that makes it seem like you’re accessing PS content from another region. It lets you play region-exclusive games like Yakuza Ishin and access various streaming apps like Netflix, HBO Max, and Hulu. It also protects you from hackers and DDoS attacks while gaming.
After extensive testing, ExpressVPN proved to be the best VPN for PlayStation. It offers native apps for PS4 and PS5. Plus, it has many fast servers, so that you can enjoy streaming and gaming without buffering or lag. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free as it comes with a reliable 30-day money-back guarantee.
Important. Using a VPN with PlayStation is not illegal. However, using it to access privileges reserved for a different region violates PlayStation's Terms of Service. Such actions can lead to various consequences, including account restrictions, permanent bans, or even complete blocklisting. The vpnMentor team does not condone breaking any rules or regulations.
Quick Guide: How to Change PSN Region With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has easy-to-use dedicated apps for PS4 and PS5. It also has a wide range of servers, so you can browse games and streaming apps from any region.
- Connect to a server of your choice. Choose a VPN server from the region you wish to buy games and stream content.
- Access PlayStation content. Sign in to your PSN account and enjoy gaming and streaming shows.
Why You Need a VPN to Change Your PSN Region
When signing up, your PlayStation assigns a permanent region, limiting your access to different games and streaming platforms. You can create a new user account on your console to change your PSN region. After that, you can use a VPN to buy games on your new international PSN account.
Games can often have an earlier release somewhere else or be region-locked entirely. So, to access them, you need to change your virtual location by masking your IP.
A VPN hides your real IP address and gives you one in your chosen location. You only need to connect to a server in your preferred country to buy the PlayStation games you want.
VPNs also let you play with friends from other countries by connecting to that country's game server. Choose a server closer to you and the game's server for the fastest speed and lowest ping.
How to Change Your PSN Region on PS4 and PS5
Your PlayStation locks your region once it is set up and doesn’t let you change it. The only way to change your PSN region is to create a new user account on your console. Remember to connect your PlayStation console to the internet before starting this process.
This method gives you full access to the PlayStation Store in whichever country you select during the signup process — letting you download its games and apps. Make sure you have your PlayStation console connected to the internet before starting this process.
- Turn on your PlayStation and select New User. Then click Create a User.
- Accept the License Agreement. You will be prompted to sign in to PSN — just scroll down past this message.
- Select Create an Account. Enter your date of birth when prompted.
- Choose your preferred PSN region. Make sure to choose the region that relates to the version of the PlayStation Store that you want to access, such as Japan or the US. Use Google Translate to navigate pages in a foreign language.
- Enter your email ID and create a password. You’ll need to use a new email that hasn’t been used on PSN before.
- Enter your location details. PSN will ask you to fill in the city, province, and postcode of your newly-chosen region. After that, click Next.
- Create your profile. Select an avatar, create an ID, and choose your privacy and communication settings.
- Click Accept on the Terms of Service and User Agreement page.
- Verify your email address. You’ll have to verify your email address by accessing your inbox, opening the PlayStation email (look for it in the Spam folder if it’s not there), and clicking on the Verify Now button.
- Open the PlayStation Store. You’re ready to use your new account.
Warning. Remember that you cannot transfer PS store credit from one user to the other. If you wish to download DLC for any game, you need to get it from the region you originally purchased that game from. Note that PSN rules and regulations vary within each region.
How to Buy Games With Your International PSN Account
To buy PlayStation games, you need to use a payment method from the same country as your new PSN account. For example, if your region is set to the US, you’ll need a US payment method. You can also purchase digital gift cards from that region’s Amazon store and redeem them on the PlayStation Store.
Note that I do not recommend creating a PayPal or Amazon account with a fake address from that country. It violates their respective T&Cs and can lead to a permanent PayPal/Amazon account ban. It can also complicate purchases with sales tax.
Follow this guide to start buying games online:
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for its wide range of servers and impressive speeds.
- Connect to a server. Make sure it’s in the region where your PSN account is set up. So, choose a US server if it’s a US account, or Japan for a Japanese one.
- Buy a PSN gift card. Visit the PlayStation gift cards website > Click Buy Now under the gift card you want to purchase > Choose Amazon.
- Click Add to Cart and then Proceed to Checkout. You will need to sign in to an Amazon account for this.
- Enter your payment details. Complete the purchase by paying with any suitable method.
- Log in to your PlayStation. Use the PSN account you just created and open the PlayStation Store app.
- Select Redeem Code. Enter the 12-digit code from the gift card > Select Continue.
- You can now purchase games and apps from the deposited funds.
Best VPNs to Change Your PlayStation Region in 2024
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Change your PlayStation's virtual location simply by selecting a different server on your router app
|Only an average 6% speed drop and low ping, great for gaming without lag
|3,000 servers in 105 countries to quickly change your virtual location to any region
|PSN Store, Netflix, Disney+, Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
What sets ExpressVPN apart is its custom router app that significantly simplifies setting up a VPN on PS3/PS4/PS5. I installed it on my Netgear router in under 10 minutes by following ExpressVPN’s detailed guide and connected to US and Japan servers. The connection was stable during my tests, and I played Apex Legends smoothly on my PlayStation.
Its MediaStreamer is another nifty feature that offers faster speeds and convenience. This Smart DNS can be configured directly on your PS4 and PS5 — just copy the DNS code from your dashboard and paste it into your PlayStation’s network settings. However, this feature is optimized for streaming, not gaming.
ExpressVPN is also one of the fastest VPNs in the market. I could play Fortnite without lag and stream Parks and Recreation in 4K on my PS4 without buffering. I got an average ping of 40 ms while playing multiplayer. With a ping that low, you can play competitive online games and watch your favorite shows without any interruptions.
The only drawback of the VPN is its relatively higher cost. Its lowest-priced plan is $6.67/month. However, ExpressVPN offers frequent discounts of up to 49%. I got a sweet deal when I signed up, which included 3 months of free service.
All subscriptions are backed by a trustworthy 30 money-back guarantee. I tested this refund policy by contacting customer service through the 24/7 live chat and requesting my money back. They promptly answered, and after confirming my account details, they issued a refund. It landed in my bank account after just 3 days.
- Unlimited bandwidth and data. With ExpressVPN, you don't have to worry about running out of data or being throttled and can game for as long as you wish.
- IP/DNS leak protection. Data leaks could expose your real location and activity to your ISP or other entities. Leak protection ensures your online activities stay private.
- Military-grade encryption. Using AES 256-bit encryption, EXpressVPN protects your privacy and ensures your data remains secure.
- No-log policy. ExpressVPN respects your privacy and does not collect or keep any activity or connection logs.
|Bypass geo-restrictions and stream and play games without noticeable lag or buffering
|Faster speeds (only a 5% average speed loss) as Smart DNS allows for geo-spoofing
|11,683 servers in 100 countries, including ones optimized for gaming
|PSN Store, Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Max, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
CyberGhost's Smart DNS is optimized to unblock PlayStation content from the US, UK, Japan, Germany, and the Netherlands. This feature ensures you get the lowest ping for gaming and the best possible speeds for HD streaming on your PS4 or PS5 since it does not encrypt your traffic. However, this means it can't protect you from DDoS attacks. It took me under 5 minutes to configure it on my console.
It also offers servers in 100 countries, with some locations optimized for smooth gaming. This cuts out the trial-and-error method of searching for your ideal server. These gaming servers are available on its Windows and macOS apps. Hence, you can use your desktop as a virtual router to share your VPN connection with your console. I could play Rocket League lag-free on my PS4 by connecting to CyberGhost’s optimized US server.
One downside is that its monthly plan is expensive and carries a short money-back guarantee. Despite this, you can opt for a long-term CyberGhost plan for just $2.03/month. When I signed up, I also got its ID Guard monitoring service for free — this can alert you to password leaks.
Extended subscriptions also have a 45-day money-back guarantee, letting you evaluate if the VPN is for you. If you want a refund, just contact a customer service agent via 24/7 live chat or email and answer a few short questions. When I tested it, they quickly processed the request, and I got my money back in my bank account within 5 days.
- Kill switch. This safety feature disconnects from the internet if your VPN connection drops, preventing your actual IP address and data from being exposed.
- Dedicated IP addresses. You get an IP address that only you use for a small extra fee, reducing the risk of getting blocklisted. CyberGhost currently has dedicated IPs for Australia, Germany, Canada, and Switzerland.
- User-friendly design. Apps are intuitive and look similar across various operating systems.
- Malware and phishing protection. CyberGhost blocks ads, malicious content, and phishing websites. Doing so prevents you from inadvertently visiting harmful sites that could potentially steal your information.
|Thousands of IPs to switch your virtual location easily and access region-specific content
|Improved connection speeds as a large network increase the chance of finding a server near you
|29,650 servers in 91 countries for better redundancy
|PSN Store, Netflix, Disney+, Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
PIA offers 29,650 servers worldwide, so you have plenty of choices to find ones with optimal ping for gaming. Plus, its app shows the latency next to each server, making it easier for you to connect to the best one for a lag-free experience. Among the 53+ US servers, I tested 5 that showed the lowest ping, and they worked without a hitch. With so many servers, you can easily buy games from the PSN Store of any country.
With its proprietary NextGen VPN Network servers, you get faster gaming and streaming speeds. These servers are built from the ground up with new 10Gbps network cards, so you get reliable connections, fast speeds, and low ping. I could play Call of Duty: Warzone online with a ping of about 60 ms.
A minor drawback is its customer service. When attempting to use the 24/7 live chat, I experienced a delayed response. After waiting 15 minutes, I finally connected with an agent, only to be abruptly disconnected. However, the response I got through email was thorough and insightful, delivering the solution I was seeking.
Its cheapest plan costs only $2.03/month. Plus, you can try out PIA’s features risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. All you need to do is contact its customer support through email if the service isn’t right for you, and they will issue you a refund. I got my money reimbursed to my PayPal within 6 days when I tested this process.
- Multi-device support. You can connect unlimited devices simultaneously, giving you flexibility across different platforms.
- SOCKS5 proxy. This proxy server can provide fast speeds for gaming and streaming on PlayStation without the full encryption of a VPN.
- Supports router installation. PIA can be used on various router models. This allows you to protect and connect all your devices, including PlayStation consoles.
- High-level security. Like ExpressVPN and CyberGhost, PIA uses robust encryption protocols, an automatic kill switch and follows an audited no-logs policy.
|Stable and fast connections for smooth gaming and streaming
|Less than 10% average speed drop and unlimited bandwidth
|6,088 servers in 61 countries to enjoy our favorite games and shows
|PSN Store, Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Max, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
NordVPN's fast speed and unlimited bandwidth are ideal for uninterrupted gaming and quality streaming on PlayStation. Video games, particularly online multiplayer ones, can consume a lot of data. Unlimited bandwidth ensures you can play as long and often as you want without worrying about hitting a data limit. My speeds stayed above 98Mbps (from a base connection of 102Mbps), testing servers nearby in France and the UK.
Previously called CyberSec, its Threat Protection feature blocks malicious websites, malware infections, and DDoS attacks. The feature works even when not connected to a server, ensuring you’re always protected.
My only worry is that NordVPN states it's willing to share data with governments to comply with international laws. However, this shouldn’t be a deal breaker since it follows a strict, fully audited no-logs policy, so none of your data will be stored to be shared.
You can get NordVPN’s long-term plan at $3.39/month. Plus, all subscriptions come with a reliable 30-day money-back guarantee. So, you can test it out before committing.
- Dedicated IP addresses. Like CyberGhost, you can maintain consistent access to specific PSN regions with a dedicated IP.
- Split tunneling. You can select which traffic goes through the VPN, enabling you to access both local and region-specific PSN content simultaneously.
- P2P-friendly servers. NordVPN has servers optimized for peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, which can be useful for downloading games and content specific to different regions.
|Protect all your devices with a single subscription
|Fantastic speeds for gaming and streaming
|3,200 servers in 100 locations to easily bypass geo-restrictions
|PSN Store, Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Max, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
At $2.89/month, you can use Surfshark on your PlayStation and every other device in your household, which is great for large families. Plus, it's compatible with the most popular operating systems. I tested Surfshark by streaming Netflix simultaneously on my PC, various smartphones, and Android smart TV without a drop in performance. It provides flexibility to protect all devices without having to disconnect one for the other.
All connected devices will benefit from the security and privacy features of Surfshark, like AES 256-bit encryption and IP/DNS leak protection. You're protected whether gaming on your PlayStation or browsing on your smartphone.
Unfortunately, the VPN is located in the Netherlands, within the 9-Eyes jurisdiction — these countries have agreements to share intelligence data. However, Surfshark follows a strict no-logs policy, so your online activities aren't recorded, maintaining your privacy while you game or stream content.
All plans have a 30-day money-back guarantee for added peace of mind. So, you can try Surfshark and get your money back if you're not 100% happy.
- Smart DNS. This feature lets you configure it on your PlayStation to change your account location without issue. Like ExpressVPN, Surfshark is also compatible with various routers.
- NoBorders mode. This enables the VPN to work in restrictive environments, like public libraries or schools. It also makes it harder for authorities or ISPs to detect that a VPN is being used, helping prevent throttling or blocking.
Quick Comparison Table: PlayStation VPN Features
To aid you in selecting the most suitable VPN, I've created a table comparing my top VPNs. This overview includes the lowest price point, speed, and number of server locations.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Changing Your PSN Region
The VPNs I selected are confirmed to work with PlayStation and have servers in the necessary countries. They offer low latency and a global network. Compatibility with various router brands ensures easy installation. This was confirmed through the following checklist.
- Easy to set up on PS. Choose a VPN that can be installed on routers and offers sep[-by-step instructions to do so. This makes it easy to set up and change PSN regions.
- Low ping and fast speeds. You need a VPN that won’t slow you down and cause noticeable delays, so you can play games and stream without interruptions. For online gaming, you'll want a ping rate below 100 ms.
- Worldwide server network. A large network of servers in multiple countries gives you a broad range of options for accessing region-specific content on the PlayStation Network.
- Strong security features. DDoS attacks are common on PlayStation, so get a VPN with AES 256-bit encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch to protect you while gaming.
- No traffic logs. A no-logs policy ensures that your online activities aren't recorded, maintaining your privacy while you game or stream content.
- Trustworthy money-back guarantee. A reliable money-back guarantee means the vendor has faith in the quality of its services. I had no problem getting my money back on each of the VPNs I tested.
How to Set up a VPN on Your PlayStation Console (PS4 or PS5)
Smart DNS Method
- Sign up for a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN with its MediaStreamer, which is one of the best Smart DNS services I have tested and only took me 5 minutes to install.
- Register your IP address. Log in to your VPN service on a browser. Open DNS Settings or Smart DNS. Your IP address should be registered automatically.
- Note the given DNS address. After activating your IP address, you’ll be given a DNS code to enter into your PlayStation’s network settings.
- Turn on your PlayStation. Go to Settings > Network > Set up your internet connection > Custom.
- Configure your settings. Choose either WiFi or LAN depending on the kind of connection > choose Automatic > Do Not Specify > Manual > Enter the DNS address from step 3 > Do Not Use.
- Restart your console. After that, you can start using your PS4/PS5 console to stream your favorite content.
Windows 10 — Ethernet/WiFi
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for its user-friendly Windows app.
- Connect your PlayStation to your desktop via ethernet or WiFi.
- For ethernet — Use an ethernet cable to connect your router to your PC, and another cable to connect the PlayStation to the PC.
- For WiFi — Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot and toggle mobile hotspot on. Set Share my internet connection from to WiFi. Click Edit and choose a name and password for your hotspot.
- Share your VPN connection. Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center on your PC.
- For ethernet — Click on Change Adapter Settings > Right-click your VPN’s adapter > select Properties > Sharing > Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection > Select Home Networking Connection > select your PlayStation’s ethernet connection.
- For WiFI — Click on Related settings > Change adapter options. Right-click on your VPN’s adapter > select Properties > Sharing > Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection > Under Home Networking Connection > Select the active hotspot connection.
- Connect your VPN. Open your VPN app and select a server.
- Set up your PS4/PS5 internet connection. On your PlayStation console, go to Settings > Network > Connect to the internet > Use WiFi / Use a LAN cable > Easy. If prompted, select Do not use a proxy server.
- Start gaming or streaming. Your PlayStation is now connected to a VPN.
Mac — Ethernet/WiFi
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for its superfast speeds for gaming.
- Connect your Mac to your PlayStation. Do so through an ethernet cable or via WiFi. Note that the cable will offer maximum speeds and minimal latency.
- Share your connection. Go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing > Under Share your connection from, select your VPN. Under To computers using, select WiFi or ethernet.
- Set up a WiFi name and password. Click WiFi options to set up a name and password for your network. If you see the pop-up: To share your Internet connection, you must turn on WiFi, click Turn WiFi On. Skip this step if you’re using an ethernet connection.
- Turn on Internet Sharing. If you see the pop-up: Are you sure you want to turn on Internet sharing?, click Start.
- Connect to your VPN. Launch the app and choose a server.
- Set up your PlayStation’s internet connection. Go to Settings > Network > Connect to the internet.
- For WiFi — Select WiFi and choose the network you set up.
- For ethernet — Select Use a LAN cable > Easy > Choose Do not use a proxy server if prompted.
- Start streaming and gaming.
One major advantage of setting up a VPN on your router is that it protects every device linked to that router, PlayStation included. Yet, it's crucial to highlight that not every router can accommodate a VPN.
For those aiming to link their PS4 or PS5 to their router, the most advisable approach is to locate the guidelines tailored to your precise model on your VPN provider's official site. Alternatively, you have the option to acquire a VPN router that comes pre-configured, allowing you to bypass these setup steps if desired.
I recommend ExpressVPN for its perfect compatibility with popular routers from ASUS, Linksys, and Netgear. The in-depth router setup guides on its official site detail every step required to install it. And its router app’s user interface is the most intuitive I’ve used, with quick server changes.
FAQs on Changing Your PSN Region
Are there any issues that can come up by changing my PSN region?
Yes, but they are easily fixed. Note that you cannot transfer PSN store credits and friends’ lists from one account to the other. You can still change your PSN ID, which is free the first time, but this can cause issues on older games, especially on a PS3. Other issues you may encounter include:
- Compatibility. Ensure games and DLC are compatible with the new region before changing. Check official sources for region-specific information and compatibility details.
- Language and localization. Switching PSN regions may introduce language barriers. Change console language settings and search for language packs or patches for specific games to switch to your preferred language.
Can I buy games from other countries on my PlayStation?
You can’t buy games from other countries other than your already assigned PSN region because you need a country-specific payment method. For example, a PayPal or credit card registered in the same country where you want to buy the item from.
If you want to buy games internationally, you’ll need to create a new PSN account in your desired country. After that, purchase and use PlayStation gift cards from the same region.
Will I lose access to my PlayStation games if I change my region?
No, you will not lose access to your PlayStation games if you change your region. You can still play them on your old PSN account where you originally purchased them. Just switch users and sign in to the old account.
Additionally, in-game purchases, trophies, DLCs, friends’ lists, and store credit are locked to your old account and cannot be transferred if you change your PSN region.
Is it possible to get games earlier in different regions on PlayStation?
Yes. You can create an account in the region with the earliest release date for your favorite games to get the fastest access. New games usually come out in the Asia-Pacific region first. But to buy these games, you need a local payment method from that region. To do that, you can set up a VPN on your PlayStation and buy PSN gift cards.
How do I check my PSN region?
There are 3 ways to check your PSN region.
- Go to PSNprofiles.com and enter your PSN ID to check your region. There’s no login required, and you can do this on any device. I usually check mine on PSNprofiles and use ExpressVPN to buy and play games from international countries afterward.
- On a desktop, you can also log into the PlayStation website > Click on your Avatar on the top-right > Select Account Settings > Click Edit next to the Residential Address and view the country.
- On your PS4/PS5, open the PlayStation Store > Click on the Menu button (3 dots) > Choose Storefront Country, and you can view your account’s location.
Can I use a free VPN with my PlayStation?
Not really. Free VPNs often fall short regarding compatibility, speed, unblocking content, data limits, and privacy. To ensure an enjoyable gaming experience on your PlayStation, a premium VPN with a money-back guarantee is a more reliable option.
Free VPNs can rarely be installed on PS or routers, leading to long or impossible setup. Their slower speeds can result in lag during gaming and streaming. Plus, free VPNs struggle to unblock geo-restricted content on streaming platforms, impose strict data limits, and may bombard you with ads while potentially misusing or selling your data.
Can I change the Blu-Ray or DVD region on my PlayStation?
Yes, you can change the Blu-Ray and DVD region on your PlayStation, typically around 4-5 times, depending on your PS4 or PS5 model.
- Remember to connect to your preferred VPN server.
- Once ready, insert the incompatible DVD or Blu-Ray (from another region), triggering an error code.
- Select Next and follow the prompts to change the region code to match the physical disc.
Alternatively, you can watch content on your console by downloading streaming apps. To access apps unavailable in your region, you can use a VPN on your PlayStation to bypass restrictions and access the desired content.
If I change my email on PS4 will I lose everything?
No, changing your email on PS4 will not cause you to lose everything. Your game progress, purchased content, trophies, and other account information are tied to your PlayStation Network (PSN) account, not your email address. By changing your email, you are simply updating the contact information associated with your account.
Access More Content on Your PlayStation in Minutes
The streaming apps and games on your PlayStation are geo-restricted to certain countries. You need a VPN to access your favorite streaming platforms and buy international games. Plus, it’ll help smoothen your online multiplayer gaming and protect you from hackers.
ExpressVPN is my top choice for PlayStation, as it has native apps for gaming consoles like PS4 and PS5. Plus, it’s among the fastest VPNs in the market and is easy to install and use via its dedicated router app. You can try ExpressVPN risk-free since it’s backed by a money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied with it, you can get a refund within the first 30 days after subscribing.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for changing PSN regions…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.