How to Change Your PS4 or PS5 (PSN) Region (Updated 2021)
- How to Change Your PSN Region on PS4 and PS5
- How to Buy Games With Your International PSN Account
- Quick Guide: How to Unblock Geo-Restricted Content on PS4/PS5 in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPN for PlayStation in 2021
- ExpressVPN — Thousands of Servers to Unblock Streaming Apps
- How to Set Up a VPN on Your PlayStation Console
- FAQs on Changing Your PSN Region
I started testing different ways to change my PSN region because I was tired of missing out on playing games that weren’t available in my region yet. On top of that, if you use your PlayStation to stream on apps like Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Prime Video, you’ll know how annoying it is when certain shows are unavailable in your country.
The bad news first — you can’t just change the region of your existing PSN account to access region-locked content. The good news is that I found a couple of simple workarounds that’ll allow you to play any game you want from anywhere, plus stream global content on your PlayStation easily.
You’ll just need a VPN to help you get around geoblocks. I personally use ExpressVPN with my PS4 as it has a huge network of servers (which made it easy to bypass blocks) and really fast speeds for lag-free gaming and streaming. You can try ExpressVPN out for yourself risk-free because it offers a money-back guarantee. If you don’t feel it’s right for you, you can claim a full refund within 30 days.
This method gives you access to the PlayStation Store in whichever country you select during the signup process. You can access new games before they’re officially released in your location, or apps/games that are only available in a certain country.
- Turn on your PlayStation and select “New User”, then click “Create a User”.
- Accept the User Agreement. You will be prompted to sign in to PSN — Just scroll down past this message.
- Select “New to PlayStation Network? Create an Account.”
- Choose your new region. Make sure to choose the region that relates to the version of the PlayStation Store that you want to access. If you’re trying to download a game that’s only available in Japan, choose Japan (and have Google Translate ready).
- Select your preferred language, enter your date of birth, and press “Next.”
- Enter your location details. I used Google to find the address of a hotel in New York and used its zip code (10001). The city and state/province will pop up automatically. Hit “Next.”
- Enter your email address and password. You need to use a new email that isn’t already attached to a PSN Account, then click “Next.”
- Create your profile. Select an avatar, create an online ID, choose your privacy and connections settings.
- Click “Accept” on the Terms of Service and User Agreement page.
- Open the PlayStation Store. You’re ready to use your new account!
Once you’ve set up your account with the PSN region you want, you need to use a payment method from the same country as your new PSN account to buy games. If you don’t have a credit card or PayPal account registered to another country, don’t worry — you can purchase a digital gift card from that region’s Amazon store and use it to buy the games you want.
- Download a VPN. You’ll need this to access the local PlayStation Gift Cards web page. I recommend ExpressVPN because of its large server network that gives you access to a big selection of different gift card regions.
- Connect to a server in your PSN account’s region. Then visit the PlayStation Gift Cards website and you’ll be shown the retailers in that region.
- Click the “Buy Now” button below the gift card you want to purchase.
- Choose Amazon. Make sure you select a “digital code” gift card.
- Click “Add to cart” and then “Proceed to checkout”. You will need to sign in or create a new Amazon account.
- Enter your payment details and check out. You will receive a digital copy of your gift card directly in your email. It only takes a couple of minutes.
- Log in to your PlayStation with the PSN account you just created and open the PlayStation Store app.
- Select “Redeem Codes” and enter the 12-digit code, then select “Continue”. The funds will be added to your account.
- You’re ready to purchase your game or app!
Quick Guide: How to Unblock Geo-Restricted Content on PS4/PS5 in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has a big server network that lets you access a lot of different streaming platforms globally.
- Connect to a server in the country you want. For example, I could watch Hulu shows while connected to a US server (even though I’m not located in the US).
- Start watching shows on your PlayStation! Just sign into the streaming app you want and press play!
Why You Need a VPN for Your PlayStation
A VPN can help you to:
1. Buy Games on Your International PSN Account
PlayStation doesn’t allow you to buy games from other regions if you don’t have a local payment method from that region. For example, you can’t buy games from the US PSN store unless you have a US credit card or a US PayPal account. You need to buy region-specific gift cards to get around this.
A VPN hides your real IP address and gives you one in another location, so when you load the PlayStation gift card webpage, it’ll show you gift card retailers in that region. Then you can load the gift card into your account and purchase games that way.
2. Get Faster Speeds + Smoother Gameplay
Some ISPs and public WiFi throttle download speeds for high-bandwidth activity like gaming. A VPN encrypts your traffic, meaning your ISP can’t limit your speeds because they won’t be able to tell what you’re doing online.
On top of that, if you connect to VPN servers located close to your game’s server, you can improve gaming performance by decreasing ping time. As long as the VPN server isn’t too far away from your actual location, you can reduce lag for smoother online gaming.
3. Stay Protected from DDoS Attacks
Your data is exposed when playing games that use P2P matchmaking (like For Honor, Call of Duty Warzone, and many other online multiplayer games). Hackers can use data like your IP address to send you huge amounts of spam until your connection is too overloaded and can’t run your game properly.
This is called a DDoS attack and hardcore gamers do it to win matches and level up faster. A VPN encrypts your data to make sure you’re always protected during gameplay.
4. Unblock Geo-Restricted Streaming Apps
If you stream on your PS4/5, you won’t be able to access many shows due to geo-restrictions on streaming apps (like Hulu or Netflix). By hiding your IP address, your VPN will trick these apps into thinking you’re located in another region, so you can watch shows not normally available to you.
The best VPN for PlayStation will have fast speeds for online games, a large server network to unblock the most content, and strong security features. I’ve always used ExpressVPN because it was easy to set up on my PS4 and it meets all the criteria mentioned above.
Best VPN for PlayStation in 2021
- Superfast speeds for lag-free gaming
- 3,000 servers that can unblock streaming sites
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: PSN, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
- Compatible with: PlayStation, Xbox, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
ExpressVPN’s massive server network (with 3,000 servers in 90 locations) makes it easy to watch geoblocked streaming services on your PlayStation. So many servers also means that you’ll have fast speeds to watch shows in HD — you won’t experience slowdowns due to overcrowding.
I also really liked how easy it was to set up. I used MediaStreamer — its version of SmartDNS — and was able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max in less than 2 minutes.
This VPN also has really fast download speeds — I tested it while I was playing Fortnight and my download speed averaged 45 Mbps. You need 15 Mbps for high-quality gaming, so this is more than fast enough. You don’t need to worry about annoying lag wrecking your game, or making your stream buffer for ages.
At first, I was disappointed to see that ExpressVPN is a bit more expensive than most, but then I saw that you can get 36% off your subscription. It would have been too pricey, but the discount makes it worth it.
There’s also a money-back guarantee that you can use to try ExpressVPN out for 30 days. Once I was finished with my tests, I contacted support to get my refund. The agent asked me to explain why I didn’t think ExpressVPN was the right choice for me, but then they approved my refund right away. I had my money back within 7 business days.
How to Set Up a VPN on Your PlayStation Console
There are a few ways to set up a VPN on your console. The quickest and easiest way is using SmartDNS. This makes it seem like your PlayStation is using the internet in another location, so you can access streaming content normally not available in your region. The downside to SmartDNS is that it doesn’t encrypt your traffic or change your IP, so you won’t be protected from cyberattacks while gaming on your PS4/5.
If you want to access restricted content and stay protected, then you can set up your VPN on your PC or router and connect your PlayStation that way. It takes a bit more time than SmartDNS, but you can use all the VPN features on your console this way.
- Sign up for a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it only took me 2 minutes to set up on my PS4.
- Register your IP address. Log in to your VPN service with your internet browser (not in the app itself). Look for an option like “DNS Settings” or “SmartDNS” and select it. Your IP should register automatically.
- Note the DNS code. After activating your IP address, you’ll be given a DNS code to enter into your PlayStation’s network settings.
- Turn on your PlayStation. Go to Settings > Network > Set up your internet connection > Custom.
- Configure your connection. Choose “WiFi” or “LAN cable” (depending on how your PlayStation is connected to the internet). Then choose Automatic > Do Not Specify > Manual (for DNS settings). Enter the codes you were given in step 3. Then select Automatic > Do Not Use. Test Your Internet Connection and restart your console.
- Start streaming geoblocked movies and TV shows on your PS4/5! Choose the streaming service you want to watch and you’ll have access to its geoblocked content on your console!
Windows 10 — Ethernet
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has superfast speeds and a huge server network great for gaming and streaming.
- Connect your computer to your PlayStation. Make sure your computer has a strong internet connection, using an ethernet cable to connect it to your router if possible. Use another ethernet cable to connect your PC to your PlayStation.
- Go to Network and Sharing Center. Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center on your PC.
- Share your VPN connection. Click on Change Adapter Settings. Right-click your VPN’s adapter and select Properties > Sharing > Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection. Under “Home Networking Connection”, select your PlayStation’s ethernet connection.
- Connect your VPN. Open your VPN app and select a server.
- Set up your PS4/5’s internet connection. On your PlayStation console, go to Settings > Network > Connect to the internet > Use a LAN cable > Easy. If prompted, select “Do not use a proxy server”.
- Start gaming and streaming! Your PlayStation is now connected to your VPN via your PC’s internet connection!
Windows 10 — WiFi
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has great speeds for gaming and easily unblocks geo-restricted content.
- Enable mobile hotspot. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot and toggle mobile hotspot on. Set “Share my internet connection from” to “WiFi”.
- Create a network name and password. Click “Edit” and choose a name and password for your hotspot.
- Share your VPN connection. Scroll down and click on Related settings > Change adapter options. Right-click on your VPN’s adapter and select Properties > Sharing > Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection. Under “Home Networking Connection”, select the active hotspot connection you created in step 2.
- Connect your VPN. Open your VPN app and select a server.
- Set up your PS4/5’s internet connection. On your PlayStation console go to Settings > Network > Connect to the internet > Use WiFi. Select the network name you provided earlier and enter the password (from step 2).
- Start gaming and streaming! You’re now connected to your newly created VPN network!
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has superfast speeds for online gaming.
- Connect your Mac to your PlayStation with an ethernet cable. Disregard this step if you’re using WiFi. If possible, connect your Mac to your router with an ethernet cable to maximize speeds.
- Share your internet connection. Go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing. Under “Share your connection from”, select your VPN. Under “To computers using”, select WiFi or ethernet, depending on how you’re connecting your PlayStation.
- Set up a WiFi name and password. Click “WiFi options” to set up a name and password for your network. If you see the pop-up: “To share your Internet connection, you must turn on WiFi”, click “Turn WiFi On”. Skip this step if you’re using an ethernet connection.
- Turn on Internet Sharing. If you see the pop-up: “Are you sure you want to turn on Internet sharing?”, click “Start”.
- Connect to your VPN. Launch your VPN app and select a server.
- Set up your PS4/5’s internet connection. Go to Settings > Network > Connect to the internet. For WiFi: select WiFi and choose the network you set up in step 4. For ethernet: select Use a LAN cable > Easy. Choose “Do not use a proxy server” if prompted.
- Start gaming and streaming! Your PlayStation is now connected to your Mac’s VPN-enabled internet connection.
This method will activate the VPN on all the devices connected to your local network, including your PS4/5. However, not every router supports VPNs. If yours doesn’t, then I recommend using the PC method instead.
Every router will have a different set of steps to get your VPN set up. ExpressVPN is the best option for getting set up on a router. It has easy-to-follow guides for dozens of routers including ASUS, Linksys, and Netgear models. You can also purchase pre-configured routers with the VPN already installed on it. That way you don’t have to go through any complicated setups yourself.
If you want to connect your PS4/5 with your router, it’s best to find the instructions for your specific model on your VPN provider’s website.
FAQs on Changing Your PSN Region
😉 Can I buy games from other countries if I change my PSN region — and can I use the same payment method?
Yes! You can play games from other countries if you create a PSN account for that country. The only problem is that you have to use a local payment method on your new PSN account.
You can get around this by using a PSN gift card to pay for games. This means that if you sign up for a Japanese PSN account, you get access to every game on the Japanese PlayStation store (and can pay for it without a Japanese credit card).
😅 Will I lose access to my PlayStation games if I change my region? Can I share games between my accounts?
No — they will be locked to the PSN account you used to purchase them. I recommend that when you create your new PSN account, you keep a record of your login information and which games you purchase with that account. That way, it’s easier to find the game you feel like playing.
Keep in mind, you can’t share in-game purchases, DLC, trophies, friends lists, or store credits between your accounts.
😁 Is it possible to get games earlier and cheaper in different regions?
Yes. You can create a PSN account based in the country with the earliest release date to get faster access to new games. New games are usually released in the Asia-Pacific region first.
The price of a game varies between regions, and they’re cheaper in some countries because of conversion rates. If you shop around and create a PSN account in the cheapest country (Turkey usually has the best prices), you’ll save money on your game.
Change Your PSN Region Now
You don’t need a VPN to change your PSN region, but I recommend that you use one on your console. VPNs give you access to streaming sites that you can’t normally watch and protect you from DDoS attacks.
ExpressVPN is the best for PlayStation because it has superfast speeds and it only takes a few minutes to install. Plus, you can try it yourself risk-free using its money-back guarantee and ask for a full refund if you’re not satisfied.
To summarize, the best VPN for PS4 and PS5 is…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 36% off.