How to Watch HBO’s Chernobyl Online (For Free) in 2021
- Quick Guide: How to Watch Chernobyl For Free in 3 Easy Steps
- Best VPN to Watch Chernobyl From Anywhere in 2021
- ExpressVPN — Dozens of Servers That Can Unblock Chernobyl Quickly
- Where Can I Watch Chernobyl Online?
- How to Sign Up for NOW TV to Watch Chernobyl From Anywhere
- FAQs on Watching Chernobyl With a VPN
- Binge Chernobyl for Free From Anywhere
I love historical dramas, so I couldn’t wait to watch the new Chernobyl miniseries. When I discovered that it wasn’t available for free in my country, I began searching for ways to watch it online. To my dismay, all of the sites that I found to watch it on used geoblocks to keep me out. After some extensive testing of my own, I discovered a site that works — NOW TV in Ireland is the best platform to watch Chernoby because it’s easy to unblock (and you can use it for free).
To watch Chernobyl for free from anywhere in the world, you first need a reliable VPN. VPN apps connect you to private servers that hide your real location — and you can use them to make it appear as though you’re in Ireland to unblock NOW TV.
After testing 30+ VPNs, I worked out that ExpressVPN is the best VPN to watch Chernobyl on NOW TV. It has lots of UK servers with fast, reliable connections (and I was even able to watch it in HD). And you can try it risk-free before you commit. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can request a refund if you’re not happy with it.
Quick Guide: How to Watch Chernobyl For Free in 3 Easy Steps
- Get a VPN. ExpressVPN is my recommendation because it can quickly get around NOW TV’s geoblocks so you can watch Chernobyl (plus, you can try it risk-free for 30 days).
- Connect to an Irish server. NOW TV is available in the UK and Ireland, but the Irish version is easiest to access.
- Start watching Chernobyl! Create a NOW TV account, and sign up for its Entertainment Pass free trial.
Why You Need a VPN to Chernobyl
Chernobyl is only available for free on NOW TV — and it uses geoblocks to prevent people from outside the UK and Ireland from watching due to broadcasting restrictions.
With a reliable VPN, you can get around NOW TV’s restrictions and watch Chernobyl. Your VPN will redirect your internet traffic through a private server in Ireland. This makes NOW TV think you’re in Ireland because you’re using an Irish IP address.
In short, streaming sites like NOW TV cannot detect your whereabouts when you use a VPN. That means you can bypass regional geoblocks and watch anything you’d like.
Best VPN to Watch Chernobyl From Anywhere in 2021
- Super-fast speeds to watch Chernobyl without any lag
- 3,000 servers around the world to beat geoblocks
- MediaStreamer let you use ExpressVPN on any WiFi-enabled device
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with: Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Vudu, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, Apple TV, and more
Finding a steady server to watch Chernobyl is easy thanks to ExpressVPN’s massive network. I tested 20+ servers in the UK and Ireland, and I had no interruptions while watching NOW TV. Regardless of the distance between your country and Ireland, you can always count on ExpressVPN for a stable and reliable connection.
When you use the VPN’s MediaStreamer feature, you can stream on WiFi-enabled devices that don’t usually support VPNs — I got it going on my PS3 in only minutes. With this feature, you can watch Chernobyl on the big screen. A word of caution, though: MediaStreamer doesn’t encrypt your data, so I advise against using it for online activities other than streaming.
ExpressVPN has tons of great features, but when it comes to price, it’s on the high end. Here’s a secret: You can pay as little as $6.67/month per month by getting in on one of its special deals.
You can also try ExpressVPN risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. When I tested the policy over live chat, the rep asked me a couple of questions about why I was canceling. I was expecting an interrogation, but 3 minutes later, my refund was approved. And only 4 days later, the money was back in my account.
You can watch Chernobyl on several streaming sites from around the world — but most of them require you to subscribe before you can stream.
UK and Ireland
NOW TV is my top recommendation for watching Chernobyl. You can sign up from any country, and you don’t need a location-specific payment method. When you sign up, you can watch Chernobyl on its Entertainment Pass, which comes with a free 7-day trial — enough to watch all 5 episodes of Chernobyl. I found it easiest to register on the Irish version of the site because the UK version kept glitching during the registration process and sending me back to the beginning.
HBO Max shows Chernobyl in the United States. While the service offers a free 7-day trial, it only accepts US-based credit cards and online gift cards (which are a hassle to buy and use when you consider how easy it is to sign up for NOW TV).
Foxtel holds the rights to broadcast Chernobyl in Australia. The service costs $25 AUD per month (and you can only register with an Australian credit card), but you can take advantage of a free 10-day trial. If you’re planning to watch on your computer, note that the streaming site is only compatible with Google Chrome.
Fans in New Zealand can watch Chernobyl for free on Sky Go. All you have to do is create an account and confirm it by email to start streaming. Unfortunately, Sky Go is only free if you are already a Sky customer and have a Sky Box in your home.
- Get a reliable VPN. My favorite is ExpressVPN because of its large server network that can unblock just about anything.
- Connect to an Irish server. NOW TV in Ireland is more accessible than the UK version.
- Go to NOW TV. Click on the “Get NOW TV” button on the right-hand corner.
- Select your bundle. Go down to the Entertainment Pass section and click on the “Start free trial” button under Entertainment.
- Enter your personal details. This includes your name, date of birth, and email address.
- Enter your address. Make sure you use an Irish address as you are creating an Irish account. I used the address of a hotel I found online (7 Gardiner Row, Rotunda, Dublin, D01XN53), and it worked fine.
- Enter your payment details (you won’t be charged until after your trial ends). Enter your credit card number, agree to the terms and conditions, and press the “Start free trial” button.
- Enjoy watching Chernobyl! Log into your account, download the NOW TV Player, and let the action unfold.
FAQs on Watching Chernobyl With a VPN
Is Chernobyl streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime Video?
Chernobyl is not streaming on Netflix but is available on Amazon Prime Video. However, It is impossible to watch it for free on Amazon Prime Video because you must buy the episodes. On Amazon Prime Video, the show costs $3.99 USD for each episode or $18.99 USD for the season. But the best way to watch Chernobyl for free is to sign up for NOW TV.
Can I watch Chernobyl for free?
Yes, you can watch all 5 Chernobyl episodes for free by signing up for a free trial of NOW TV’s Entertainment Pass. Just remember to cancel your free trial; otherwise, you’ll be automatically charged for a recurring subscription.
Where can I watch Chernobyl in Australia, New Zealand, and the UK?
Chernobyl is available on Foxtel in Australia, Sky Go in New Zealand, and NOW TV in the UK. Foxtel and Sky Go are both subscription services that you need to pay for, but NOW TV offers a free trial that you can use from any country.
Technically — you can only watch NOW TV in the UK and Ireland, but you can use a VPN to sign up so that you don’t have to pay to watch Chernobyl.
Does Chernobyl have subtitles?
Yes, Chernobyl has subtitles, but only in English. Unfortunately, there are no options for other languages, and there won’t be for the foreseeable future. If you’re watching Chernobyl on NOW TV, you can easily activate subtitles from the settings menu.
Binge Chernobyl for Free From Anywhere
If you use a powerful VPN, you can watch Chernobyl for free from anywhere in the world.
My testing indicates that ExpressVPN is the best for watching Chernobyl. It has a large server network that helps you bypass geoblocks and has lightning-fast speeds so you watch in HD. You can also try it risk-free. If you’re not happy with it, you can ask for a refund within 30 days.
To summarize, the best VPN for watching Chernobyl is…
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.