How to Watch BBC iPlayer With CyberGhost (Quick & Secure)
Enjoying BBC iPlayer is only possible with a UK IP address. Due to regional restrictions, you can’t stream iPlayer movies, shows, and broadcasts abroad. Annoyingly, iPlayer blocklist VPNs too, to prevent viewers from using them to bypass the site’s geoblocks.
That means many “great VPNs” struggle to work with BBC iPlayer, even if you’re in the UK. Fortunately, CyberGhost’s fast network works reliably with BBC iPlayer. Technically, this VPN can also get you a UK IP address, letting you watch BBC iPlayer anywhere. However, using a VPN like this goes against the BBC’s terms and conditions — and can even amount to copyright infringement.
For those in the UK though, CyberGhost can enhance your online security and help avoid ISP speed throttling for 4K streaming. My team and I tested this VPN thoroughly, but if you’re unsure, all plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee. You can try CyberGhost without risks and get a refund if it doesn’t meet your standards.
Quick Guide: How to Watch BBC iPlayer With CyberGhost in 3 Easy Steps
- Subscribe to CyberGhost. The VPN’s optimized servers for BBC iPlayer help you stream your favorite shows in UHD. Plus, you can try CyberGhost risk-free (all subscriptions come with a 45-day money-back policy).
- Connect to a nearby server. From the UK, choose a local or dedicated streaming server to maximize your speeds for watching without buffering.
- Enjoy. Create or log in to your free iPlayer account to watch BBC shows and big movies with improved security and speeds.
Already Have CyberGhost but Can’t Watch BBC iPlayer?
Despite being one of the fastest and most secure VPNs, CyberGhost is not immune to challenges when dealing with BBC iPlayer. Streaming platforms like iPlayer regularly blocklist VPN-associated IP addresses to prevent users from bypassing geoblocks.
If you're experiencing difficulties with CyberGhost, it's often a matter of simple adjustments. Even if this is your first time using a VPN and you’re not 100% sure how things work, here’s what you can try:
- Disconnect and reconnect the VPN — Yep, “turning it off and on again” works for VPNs too. You’d be surprised how often this trick solves most connection issues.
- Switch to a different VPN server — If a particular server isn't working with BBC iPlayer, it might be overcrowded, down, or blocklisted by the platform. When in the UK, you can simply switch to another UK server to resolve this issue.
- Clear your cache and cookies — VPNs protect your data from the websites you visit, but your cache and cookies can show that you’re using a VPN. Clearing your browsing history can prevent data leaks and access errors.
- Use an Incognito browser window — Another good tip is to switch to Incognito (private window) on your browser. Combining Incognito mode with CyberGhost can prevent data leaks and enhance privacy.
- Change the VPN’s protocols — Switching protocols can help you watch BBC iPlayer if it suddenly stops working. CyberGhost offers various protocols like WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2. WireGuard is better optimized for streaming, while the other two are more privacy-focused.
- Update the VPN — Regular updates are crucial for maintaining optimal performance and security. Ensure your CyberGhost app is up to date for problem-free BBC iPlayer streaming.
- Run a leak test — Our data can leak through many places, not just our browsers — the WiFi extender is another common leakage point. Running a leak test helps identify and fix these problems.
- Contact customer service — CyberGhost's customer service is available 24/7 to assist with any issues, including problems with BBC iPlayer.
Switching to a different VPN is also an option if none of the above tips work. If you’re adamant about giving up on CyberGhost, the one VPN I’d recommend above all others is ExpressVPN. Not only does it have one of the fastest server networks, but it’s also the best VPN to stream safely on BBC iPlayer in UHD.
ExpressVPN is generally a great choice for streaming thanks to its Lightway protocol, which gives it the fastest server speeds I’ve tested. Then there’s the MediaStreamer feature that allows you to watch BBC iPlayer even on devices that don’t support VPNs, such as an Apple TV. Add the 30-day money-back guarantee and you can subscribe risk-free anytime.
Why Use CyberGhost to Watch BBC iPlayer?
With a total of 3 UK server locations, CyberGhost is one of the most reliable VPNs for local servers if you’re in the UK. Even better, CyberGhost has special streaming-optimized servers that are designed specifically to work with BBC iPlayer. These servers are regularly checked and maintained, so you can protect yourself online with the VPN but still use your iPlayer account as normal.
The military-grade encryption lets you watch BBC iPlayer while safeguarding your online activities from sites, ad networks, and hackers. CyberGhost’s top-grade security features protected my browsing during testing. Additionally, your ISP can’t tell that you’re streaming, so it can’t intentionally reduce your speeds to preserve bandwidth (ISP speed throttling).
Another nice perk that’s especially important for streaming is its excellent server speeds. While a few VPNs out there are even faster than CyberGhost, this provider is still more than speedy enough for you to watch anything on BBC iPlayer with seamless HD video quality. Plus, this VPN doesn’t limit your monthly bandwidth.
Something else I’ve always loved about CyberGhost is just how intuitive and user-friendly its mobile and desktop apps are. Even though the VPN has a lot of advanced features, its apps are still easy enough to use even for people who’ve never tried a VPN before.
All that, together with CyberGhost’s impressive 45-money-back guarantee makes it a great choice.
FAQs on Watching BBC iPlayer with CyberGhost
What’s the best VPN for BBC iPlayer?
CyberGhost is one of my favorite VPNs for watching BBC iPlayer. The very fast speeds of its dedicated streaming servers, user-friendly apps, vast and reliable server network, and overabundance of additional features just make it a very safe choice. Still, if you aren’t sold on the idea of CyberGhost, there are a few other VPNs that work great for BBC iPlayer.
Can I use a free VPN to watch BBC iPlayer?
Most free VPNs don’t work with BBC iPlayer even if you connect from the UK. Unlike CyberGhost, free services usually have limited networks that get blocklisted by BBC iPlayer or can’t stream in high quality. It’s better to try a premium VPN with a money-back guarantee. Besides, many free VPNs lack top-grade security features and can even sell your data to ad networks.
Which VPN is the fastest?
CyberGhost’s dedicated streaming servers are very competitive but can’t surpass the speeds of ExpressVPN’s Lightway protocol. This is actually a new feature in its arsenal but all our tests confirmed that no other provider today compares with ExpressVPN in terms of speed.
This alone is enough to make ExpressVPN most people’s choice for streaming - that’s how important server speeds are for getting that crystal-clear 4K video quality.
How can I get a UK IP address?
Connect to one of CyberGhost’s UK servers. From the UK, connect to a nearby server to get a British IP address so you can continue using local online services like iPlayer. Thanks to CyberGhost’s user-friendly apps with optimized streaming servers, this takes only a few seconds.
Watch BBC iPlayer With CyberGhost Today
Fortunately for you, CyberGhost specializes in just that. Thanks to its high-speed UK servers and robust security, CyberGhost allows you to watch BBC iPlayer safely. It also offers easy-to-use apps and specialized servers for iPlayer for hassle-free watching in UHD.
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.