How to Watch BBC iPlayer with CyberGhost (Quick & Secure)
BBC iPlayer offers a lot of fascinating movies, TV shows, and sports broadcasts to its users but it’s also very heavily restricted for people outside of the UK. Even if you’re from the UK and you’re just traveling abroad, your access to the platform’s content will be very limited without the use of a great VPN.
I do mean “great VPN” too as many VPNs face significant difficulties unblocking BBC iPlayer in most countries. CyberGhost is one of the few that works to unblock BBC iPlayer from almost anywhere. Thanks to its large and stable server base, excellent unblocking tools, and fast and effective encryption protocols, CyberGhost offers one of the best experiences for streaming.
One of my favorite things about CyberGhost is that it comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee. This means you can try it out risk-free for quite a while before having to choose whether to subscribe for the long-term or not.
Quick Guide: How to Watch BBC iPlayer With CyberGhost in January 2023
- Subscribe to CyberGhost.
- Download and install the app, and connect to a server in the UK.
- Sign in to BBC iPlayer and start watching.
Already Have CyberGhost but Can’t Access BBC iPlayer?
Even though it’s one of the most secure and well-performing VPNs, CyberGhost is not immune to issues. Streaming platforms like BBC iPlayer are harsh on VPNs and are constantly adding VPN servers and IP addresses to their block lists.
That means, you shouldn’t be worried that something is wrong with the service because you encounter issues with CyberGhost while watching BBC iPlayer. It may be that you only have to make one or two minor adjustments in the app’s settings or just choose another server in the UK. Even if this is your first time using a VPN and you’re not 100% sure how things work, most adjustments are simple:
- Disconnect and reconnect the VPN - Yep, “turning it off and on again” works for VPNs too. You’d be surprised how often this trick solves most issues.
- Clear your cache and cookies - VPNs work by hiding your location data from the sites you’re visiting to fool them that you’re trying to access them from the “right” part of the world - in the case of the BBC iPlayer, that’s the UK. Even the best VPN can’t hide all your data, as it often seeps through places beyond the VPN’s reach. The chief culprits here are our browsers, so it’s a good idea to clear your browsing history if you encounter any problems.
- Use an Incognito browser window - Going off from the previous point, another good tip is to switch to incognito mode on your browser. Together with a good VPN like CyberGhost, this is usually enough to overcome BBC iPlayer’s firewalls and geoblocks.
- Change the VPN’s protocols - VPNs use different encryption protocols for different tasks. Some are better for privacy and security, for example, while others are designed to offer good streaming speeds. Essentially, a VPN’s protocols are its “modes of operation.” If a VPN suddenly stops working with BBC iPlayer try switching to a different protocol. The three main protocols of Cyberghost are WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2; all available in the app’s settings.
- Switch to a different VPN server - Streaming platforms use anti-VPN technologies to detect and blacklist known VPN servers. That’s why only a few VPNs work well with BBC iPlayer - most VPNs don’t have large enough server bases or the right features to avoid detection. If the server you are using isn’t working to unblock BBC iPlayer, it may be blacklisted. Simply switch to a different server in the UK and the issue will likely resolve itself.
- Update the VPN - VPNs update tools for avoiding detection regularly. So, if you haven’t updated your CyberGhost app for a while, you need to, or it likely won’t work with BBC iPlayer.
- Run a leak test - Our data can leak through a lot of places, not just our browsers - the WiFi extender is another common leakage point. Another good solution if none of the fixes above have worked is to run a leak test and see where the problem is.
- Contact customer service - CyberGhost has proficient and polite 24/7 customer service. I’ve asked a ton of questions over the years, through email and live chat, and it has always been able to give me the solution to my problem.
Switching to a different VPN is also an option if none of the tips above has worked. If you’re adamant about giving up on CyberGhost, the one VPN I’d recommend above all others is ExpressVPN. Not only does it have one of the fastest server networks, it’s also the best VPN right now for avoiding detection from streaming platforms such as BBC iPlayer.
ExpressVPN is generally a great choice for streaming thanks to its Lightway protocol, which gives it the fastest server speeds in the business. Then there’s the MediaStreamer feature which allows you to watch BBC iPlayer even on devices that don’t support VPNs such as an Apple TV. Add the 30-day money-back guarantee, and you can purchase a subscription risk-free at any time.
Why Use CyberGhost to Watch BBC iPlayer?
With a total of 9,753 servers in 91 countries at the moment, CyberGhost is one of the most stable VPNs for streaming, whether you’re interested in the BBC iPlayer or another streaming platform such as Netflix, Disney+, Showtime, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video.
One of the most notable features of CyberGhost is its top-notch privacy and security features. While military-grade encryption and a kill switch aren’t crucial for streaming, the features are great for when you’re traveling, torrenting, or you just have sensitive data that you want to keep safe.
Another nice perk that’s especially important for streaming is its excellent server speeds. While there are one or two VPNs out there that are even faster than CyberGhost, this provider is still more than speedy enough for you to watch anything on BBC iPlayer with a seamless HD video quality. It even has dedicated streaming servers for BBC iPlayer specifically.
Something else I’ve always loved about CyberGhost is just how intuitive and user-friendly its mobile and desktop apps are. Even though the VPN has a lot of advanced features, its apps are still easy enough to use even for people who’ve never used a VPN before.
All that, together with CyberGhost’s impressive 45-money-back guarantee make it a great choice for streaming.
What’s the best VPN for BBC iPlayer?
CyberGhost is one of my favorite VPNs for watching BBC iPlayer. The very fast speeds of its dedicated streaming servers, user-friendly apps, vast and reliable server network, and overabundance of additional features just make it a very safe choice. Still, if you aren’t sold on the idea of CyberGhost, there are a few other VPNs that work great for BBC iPlayer.
Can I use a free VPN to watch BBC iPlayer?
Trying to use a free VPN for streaming is understandable but it sadly doesn’t work too well. Free VPNs just don’t have the large server networks needed to support heavy traffic and most can't avoid detection from anti-VPN technologies. Slower server speeds mean that even if you manage to connect to BBC iPlayer for more than 5 minutes, it’s unlikely that you’ll get a video quality higher than 240p.
The much simpler, safer, and effective option is to subscribe to a premium VPN like CyberGhost. The difference in quality is basically absurd and more than worth the monthly subscription fee. Plus, there’s a 45-day money-back guarantee which gives you the freedom to try it out and see if you like it.
Which VPN is the fastest?
CyberGhost’s dedicated streaming servers are very competitive but can’t surpass the speeds of ExpressVPN’s Lightway protocol. This is actually a new feature in its arsenal but all our tests confirmed that no other provider today compares with ExpressVPN in terms of speed.
This alone is enough to make ExpressVPN most people’s choice for streaming - that’s how important server speeds are for getting that crystal-clear 4K video quality.
How can I get a UK IP address?
As the BBC iPlayer is restricted to the UK, you’ll need to get a British IP address to get access to the platform. Luckily CyberGhost offers servers in the UK. Just log into the app, connect to any of its dedicated streaming servers in the UK, and you’ll now have a UK IP address and complete access to BBC iPlayer’s content.
Watch BBC iPlayer With CyberGhost Today
Watching streaming platforms, such as the BBC iPlayer, is one of the trickiest things to do with a VPN. Most services today have basically given up on trying, as there are just too many geoblocks and firewalls to deal with.
Fortunately for you, premium VPNs like CyberGhost specialize in just that. With a vast and stable server network, great unblocking tools, excellent server speeds, dedicated streaming servers, great security, lots of quality-of-life features, and intuitive and easy-to-use apps, it’s one of the best VPNs to use for the BBC iPlayer.
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.