5 Best VPNs for Hulu That Consistently Work (Updated 2019)
I tested 300 VPNs to find the best options for unblocking Hulu from anywhere. Discover why Nord VPN is my top choice and what other VPNs I recommend. Share
With Hulu creating tougher blocks against VPNs, many (if not most) VPNs fail to get their users access to the content they want.
Chances are you’re looking to save yourself the trouble of going through a slew of different VPNs to find the one that works.
Fortunately, I’m here to help you out.
Below, I’ve rounded up the best VPNs that work flawlessly with Hulu (and plenty of other web services). Take a look and find a VPN that will grant smooth, reliable, and global access to your favorite shows and movies on Hulu!
Quick List: The Best VPNs for Hulu
- NordVPN:Enjoy blazing fast speeds and a secure connection while you stream your favorite shows.
- ExpressVPN:The fastest VPN for streaming. It regularly refreshes its server IPs to bypass Hulu’s VPN blocks.
- CyberGhost:Easy-to-use apps and optimizes streaming servers make it the perfect match for Hulu.
- Hotspot Shield:Bypass restrictions and access geoblocked content from anywhere in the world with this speedy service.
- PrivateVPN:Great for beginners. Provides easy access to Hulu’s library from anywhere in the world.
How Does Hulu Know I’m Using a VPN?
When you launch Hulu, it checks your IP address against a list of known VPN server IPs. If there’s a match, it will block your connection and prevent you from streaming.
The only way to bypass this block is to use a VPN that regularly refreshes its servers’ IP addresses to avoid detection. All the VPNs on my list can bypass Hulu’s VPN block.
The 5 Best VPNs For Hulu
Packed with features – making it one of the most popular VPNs in the world
- Over 1,500 servers in the US guarantee access to Hulu any time, anywhere
- Feature-rich – double VPN, anti DDoS servers, onion over VPN, built-in anti-virus, ad blocker, and more
- 6 simultaneous connections for all your devices – perfect for couples and families
- 24/7 live chat for all VPN-related issues
- 30-day money-back guarantee allows you to test NordVPN risk-free
NordVPN’s solution to Hulu’s block is to have thousands of servers available. With over 1,500 servers in the United States alone, you won’t be forced onto an overloaded server, so you’re guaranteed get the high speeds you need. And new servers are constantly being added to the network.
NordVPN’s speeds are some of the fastest of any VPN, and most other providers can’t even come close to their massive server network. Other valuable features include super responsive 24/7 customer support, including live chat, 6 simultaneous connections, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, no questions asked. All this makes NordVPN one of the most popular VPNs on the market. Want to know more about what people love? Check out these user reviews.
This combination puts NordVPN at the cutting edge when it comes to unblocking content and providing high-quality streaming — not only for Hulu, but other platforms, like Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers
Renowned for having the high speeds necessary for buffer free streaming
- Extremely fast – won’t hinder your internet connection at all
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Over 100 servers in the US so you don’t experience overload when other users watch Hulu too
- Connect up to five devices at once
- Reliable customer support, available 24/7
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Split tunneling allows you to use your VPN only for Hulu and access other sites with your regular internet connection
ExpressVPN is another solid choice for accessing Hulu from anywhere. In my experience, things usually work smoothly, but if you experience any issues while trying to connect to Hulu, contact ExpressVPN’s 24/7 live chat customer service and they’ll give you an up-to-date list of servers you can use.
Its biggest strength? Speed. Our tests conclude that ExpressVPN is, on average, the fastest provider on the market. For you, that means smooth HD streaming and no lag or buffering.
In addition to lightning-fast connections, you get over 100 US servers, a 30-day money-back guarantee, and split tunneling for cherry-picking your encrypted traffic.
As with NordVPN, ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy that guarantees your privacy. Plus, they offer professional customer support, available 24/7 on live chat. You can also connect up to 5 devices at the same time. To find out why so many customers are fans of ExpressVPN, click here.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers
Intuitively designed interface for instant streaming
- Super simple streaming profile unblocks Hulu with just a few clicks
- 1023+ servers in the US
- Connect up to seven devices simultaneously
- Responsive customer support, available via live chat
- Includes money-back guarantee AND free trial
CyberGhost went through a revamp recently — while it wasn’t too impressive in the past, it’s now touted as one of the best VPNs for streaming geoblocked content.
And for good reason.
What makes CyberGhost special is the combination of an intuitive interface and premade profiles for a variety of activities — including unblocking popular streaming websites. Even the newest of beginners will face no issues accessing Hulu, as the settings are pre-configured. All it takes is a few clicks.
And if you run into trouble, you can count on customer support to help you out 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
Add to that a 45-day money-back guarantee and a week-long free trial, and you have a truly worthwhile VPN. Don’t believe me? See what real users have to say about CyberGhost.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome
Impressive speeds and reliable connections
- Proprietary Catapult Hydra technology compresses your data, giving you lightning-fast speeds
- Several servers in the US
- Connect up to five devices at one time
- 24/7 live chat
- 45-day money-back guarantee
Hotspot Shield is really popular — and after making some updates, it’s better than ever.
The free version probably won’t get you past Hulu’s VPN block, but Hotspot Shield Elite will. With plenty of servers in the US and great speeds to boot, you’ll be able to watch Hulu anywhere.
A sleek interface equipped with just the right number of features — a kill switch, auto-connect, and split tunneling (for the Chrome extension only) — make Hotspot Shield a dependable VPN for Hulu. The proprietary Catapult Hydra profile and perfect forward secrecy offer decent encryption and flawless access to the streaming service.
You may want to look into a long-term deal, as this VPN is a little more expensive than some of the others on my list. But it’s more than worth it — and you can see for yourself risk-free, thanks to the 45-day money-back guarantee. Or check out what real Hotspot Shield users have to say..
Hotspot Shield can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video
- Yes, P2P allowed on all servers
Hotspot Shield works on these devices
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Chrome
Customized boutique service
- Numerous servers in the US
- Allows you to connect up to 6 devices at once
- No server “outsourcing”
- Try it out risk free with their 7-day free trial
A more “compact” solution to your Hulu problem, PrivateVPN provides top-shelf unblocking at a decent price.
There aren’t hundreds of servers to choose from, but there are enough in the US that this VPN can easily unblock Hulu.
Despite the smaller scale, PrivateVPN has some serious accolades. Most importantly, it maintains full control of its servers, which means you won’t ever have to worry about third parties handling your connections. Combined with a strict no-logs policy, this proves PrivateVPN’s commitment to your privacy.
On the downside, you won’t find live chat available 24/7 but email support is available. If you’re not sure if it’s for you, you can take advantage of a 7-day free trial. To find more about what PrivateVPN users think, click here.
PrivateVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS
If you’re unsure how to unblock Hulu with a VPN, this video will show you how.
These VPNs Used to Work with Hulu but No Longer Do
I tested more than 300 VPNs. The majority didn’t work with Hulu. Some showed inconsistency or were too slow. The following list is the ‘almost list’ that I bring here to save your time if a friend told you a year ago he was using it successfully and you wonder why it’s not on the list above.
- Private Internet Access
- ZenMate VPN
You don’t have to be in the United States to enjoy what Hulu has to offer. With a solid VPN, you’ll be binge watching in no time — from anywhere in the world.
Did you find this article useful? Let your Hulu-crazy friends know how they can keep watching no matter where they are!
Check out our deals page to save a little more money on the VPN you choose.