2018’s Best Cheap VPNs – Great Service & Affordable
With governments across the globe increasing censorship, and everyone from the government to hackers wanting access to your data, there has never been a better time to invest in a VPN (Virtual Private Network). Plus, besides providing anonymity while you’re surfing online, VPNs also unblock geo-restricted web content.
There are numerous free VPN services available, but regardless of how tempted you may be, they should be avoided. They may be free, but they are not entirely safe, and can leave you exposed to malware, cause your data to be sold to third parties, use outdated encryption, and have very slow speeds.
However, a good VPN does not have to cost you a small fortune either. There are low-cost VPNs available, which provide the speed, security, and privacy you need at a fraction of the cost of many other providers. Here are 5 of the best and cheapest VPNs available today.
NordVPN regularly rates as one of the best VPNs available, and with its 3-year plan, you can access all its great features for under $3.00 a month. NordVPN rates so highly because it quite literally has everything you could possibly want from a VPN, from an automatic kill switch and exceptional speeds, to its ease of use and the fact that it does not keep any user logs.
In addition, they offer six simultaneous connections per license (way more than most of their competitors), plus other VPNs can’t even come close to their 4,000+ servers. And did we mention that they have a 30-day money back guarantee?
- 4,000 servers across over 60 countries
- One of the rare VPNs that always successfully unblocks geo-restricted content such as Netflix, and rated as one of the best VPNs for unlocking Reddit
- 2048-bit SSL encryption as standard and double VPN technology
- No limits on P2P activities
- Unlimited speed and bandwidth
- You need to sign up to the 3-year plan to get all this for such an amazingly low cost; shorter plans are more expensive.
CyberGhost is another top-rated VPN service offering a range of great features for a very reasonable price if you sign up for a longer subscription deal. Their 18-month plan gives you access to servers optimized for gaming, torrenting, and unblocking your favorite streaming sites, including Netflix – all for under $3.00 per month.
CyberGhost also provides powerful encryption, a kill switch, and IP/DNS leak protection, making it an ideal choice for the security conscious.
- Unblocks Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Eurosport and more
- Bypasses Chinese VPN blocks
- Incredibly easy-to-use interface
- Allows up to seven devices to be connected simultaneously
- You need to sign up to the 18-month plan to get one of the best VPNs for such a cheap price. The shorter term plans will cost more.
PIA is one of the most affordable VPNs on the market, with a yearly subscription for less than $4.00 a month, and a 2-year subscription for less than $3.00 a month.
The company takes a no frills approach to its service, meaning that you won’t find some of the ‘bells and whistles’ that are provided by other VPNs. However, that should not take away from the high-quality service and excellent encryption levels that the company uses to ensure your security and privacy online.
- Allows torrenting and P2P
- Choice of connection protocols including PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN and AES-256 data stream encryption
- Good speeds, connection reliability, and excellent customer service, including Live Chat
- Can be used on most operating systems, or can be installed directly on your router
- PIA is a US-based VPN provider with ties to Trust Media Inc. (London Based). While this does not mean that your privacy or security is compromised, it is something you should be aware of since both the USA and the UK are “five eyes” countries.
- While they claim to provide access to geo-restricted content, some of our readers have reported trouble with this in the past.
TrustZone operates out of the Seychelles, and at less than $4.00 a month for a 1-year subscription, this VPN provides real value for your money. Privacy is taken very seriously with no personal details required during the sign-up process and the ability to pay anonymously through Bitcoin.
Among the benefits of using this service are its state-of-the-art encryption, automatic reconnection, kill switch, and the fact that the company doesn’t keep any logs.
- No bandwidth or speed restrictions
- No blocks or throttles on any type of internet traffic, including P2P, meaning it’s great for torrents
- Unlimited server switching
- Speeds vary greatly depending on the server through which your traffic is routed.
After a few missteps, this company has undergone many changes for the better, making it good value for your money. Users can get a 5-year subscription for less than $2.00 a month – and gain access to over 100 server locations – with an easy-to-use VPN that doesn’t keep logs and that provides a range of security protocols.
- Access to geo-restricted content including Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and BBC iPlayer
- Optimized servers available specifically for torrenting
- Helpful and reliable support system, including live chat
- Supports the majority of operating systems and can be installed directly on your router
- Some may have concerns over the parent company being based in Singapore, which has a history of web censorship.
While free VPNs are not always safe, you can still get a good quality VPN for an affordable price. The VPNs listed above are great for those concerned with maintaining their privacy on the web, staying safe from hackers, and gaining access to their favorite movies and TV shows online.
These cheap VPNs have all been chosen for this list because they do not compromise on the services they offer with fast speeds, no data logging, unlimited bandwidth, and excellent encryption. All that’s missing is the high price tag most people expect from premium providers.