5 Best VPNs for Hawaii in 2024 for Speed, Safety & Streaming
- Best VPNs for Hawaii — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Consistently Fast Speeds for Any Online Activity in Hawaii
- CyberGhost — Optimized Servers For HD Streaming in Hawaii
- Private Internet Access — Expansive Network With Servers in All US States
- NordVPN — Easy-to-Use Apps to Secure Your Connection in Hawaii in Minutes
- Surfshark — Unlimited Simultaneous Connections to Protect All Your Devices in Hawaii
- Quick Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for Hawaii in 3 Easy Steps
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Hawaii
- FAQs on Using a VPN for Hawaii
- Get the Best VPN for Hawaii
Despite the paradise island vibe of the Aloha State, it’s still part of the US, which is a member of the 5 Eyes Alliance. Countries in the Alliance tend to monitor citizens’ online activity, so you need a secure VPN to access the internet safely in Hawaii.
The best VPNs for Hawaii can give you access to the content you need from the islands. If you pick a VPN with servers in the US, you can even use it to access your home services when traveling outside of the States.
My team and I tested over 60 VPNs to find the best Hawaii VPN. My top pick for Hawaii is ExpressVPN. It has many US servers and gives you lightning-fast speeds while protecting your online privacy. Plus, the 30-day money-back guarantee means you can try ExpressVPN risk-free.
Short on Time? Here Are the 5 Best VPNs for Hawaii in 2024
- ExpressVPN — #1 VPN for Hawaii as it offers lightning-fast speeds via its Lightway protocol, plus military-grade security and many servers in the US. You can even try it with confidence, thanks to its 30 money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost — Many streaming-optimized servers in the US and other countries for reliable HD streaming in Hawaii.
- Private Internet Access — Extensive global server network, including servers in all US states near Hawaii.
- NordVPN — Intuitive app packed with unique features for a personalized and secure online experience in Hawaii.
- Surfshark — Unlimited simultaneous connections to protect all your devices in Hawaii.
Best VPNs for Hawaii — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Fastest speeds of the recommended VPNs across its server network
|Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, IP/DNS leak protection
|Audited no-logs policy and located outside the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance
|Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Peacock TV, Discovery+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, ESPN+, Paramount+, fuboTV, Vudu, Showtime, BT Sport, and more
ExpressVPN is an excellent choice for uninterrupted streaming, gaming, torrenting, and any other online activity in Hawaii. It was the fastest VPN service provider I tested. My base speed was 127.05 Mbps, and with its Lightway protocol, my average speed while connected was 118.77 Mbps. That amounts to a small 6.5% decrease in speed on average. Every server I tried also allowed me to stream in HD and UHD and play Warzone with no lag.
ExpressVPN has an extensive network of 3,000 servers in 105 countries, including 24 US server locations. It regularly updates its server IPs to ensure they work for you in Hawaii. That’s also one of the main reasons why it’s one of the most reliable VPNs for unblocking popular streaming platforms like Netflix and HBO Max.
Additionally, ExpressVPN has a strict no-logs policy and a TrustedServer technology by running RAM-only servers. This ensures that all data is wiped after each session and never stored on a hard drive. Plus, it’s based in the British Virgin Islands, which is outside of any intelligence-sharing alliance.
There's also a 30-day money-back guarantee with any plan. This means you can try ExpressVPN with no risks and simply ask for a refund through the 24/7 live chat if you’re not 100% satisfied.
- Smart Location. This is a feature that automatically connects you to the closest and fastest server based on your location. So while in Hawaii, it will connect you to either a US server or another country close to you.
- Split tunneling. This allows you to select which apps utilize the VPN connection and which ones use the regular unencrypted connection. So you can use the VPN to access a streaming platform while using your regular Hawaii connection for your banking apps.
- IPv6 leak protection. IPv6 is most prone to leaking, so with ExpressVPN, you don’t even need to disable it on your device. The IPv6 protection will shield you from any accidental leaks.
- MediaStreamer. ExpressVPN’s Smart DNS service bypasses location restrictions on UK and US streaming services, providing greater flexibility on devices like smart TVs or gaming consoles that don't support native VPN apps.
|Has almost 100 streaming-optimized servers in different countries, including many in the US
|Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, OpenVPN and WireGuard protocols, IP/DNS leak protection, kill switch
|No-logs policy independently audited by Deloitte, and located outside 5 Eyes Alliance, in Romania
|Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, Peacock TV, Paramount+, Vudu, fuboTV, ESPN+, and more
I found that CyberGhost was one of the best streaming VPNs for Hawaii. It has servers optimized for specific streaming platforms. They are conveniently located in the “For streaming” app menu, making it really easy to find the right server for the streaming platform I wanted. I enjoyed fast and consistent access to Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, Eurosport, and Amazon Prime Video in HD and UHD.
It also has specialized torrenting servers in more than 60 countries that are designed for safe and high-speed P2P file sharing in Hawaii. Once I found these servers under the “For Torrenting" tab in the app, I chose one close to me and downloaded a 1GB file from the public domain in just a couple of minutes.
You can also use CyberGhost’s gaming servers in Hawaii. However, during my tests, I observed that the speeds on the faraway servers were lower than expected, with a high ping ranging from 126–200+ms.
CyberGhost’s short-term subscription is a bit on the expensive side, with a shorter 14-day money-back guarantee. However, its long-term plans are more cost-effective and backed by a 45-day money-back guarantee, so you can try CyberGhost for free.
- Vast global server network. 11,683 servers in 100 countries, including over 11 server locations in the US close to Hawaii.
- Content Blocker. This feature blocks unwanted domain names and returns their IP addresses as unrouteable, thus ensuring secure internet access in Hawaii with no risk of malware, trackers, and pop-up ads.
- WiFi Protection. You can configure CyberGhost to launch automatically when connecting to public WiFi in Hawaii and set preferences for specific networks, giving you the option to connect or ignore them.
- NoSpy servers. The servers are housed in CyberGhost’s Romanian headquarters, outside the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance, and managed internally end-to-end by its expert team, providing the ultimate privacy, security, and performance for users in Hawaii.
|Largest VPN server list with over 29,650 servers in 91 countries including 53 server locations in the US
|Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, split tunneling, safe protocols
|Audited no-logs policy despite the fact that it’s based in the US
|Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Paramount+, Hotstar India, ESPN/ESPN+, and more
Private Internet Access (PIA) has the largest server list of the VPNs I tested. A large number of servers can enhance your speeds in Hawaii by reducing overcrowding, which can slow down your connection. It also offers you more reliability by making it difficult for streaming services to detect IPs that are being used by multiple people.
I really liked that PIA is very customizable, so you can optimize your connection in Hawaii to your own needs. It has 2 kill switch options, regular (blocks your internet in case the VPN connection drops unexpectedly) and advanced (blocks your internet until you connect to the VPN). PIA also lets you change the encryption level, and you can choose between OpenVPN and WireGuard.
I used the OpenVPN protocol and the 128-bit encryption to give me the best speeds. Although I was able to play Warzone with ease and stream in HD on local servers, speeds were slower at long distances, especially compared to ExpressVPN. But thanks to the vast selection of servers in North America, you’ll be able to find servers close to Hawaii to keep speeds fast.
PIA offers a risk-free trial to users with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you are unsatisfied with the service, you can ask for a refund, typically processed within a week.
- RAM-only servers. This offers you an additional layer of privacy protection. RAM servers automatically erase all data upon reboot, which makes sure that none of your Hawaii traffic or personal data is being stored on a hard drive.
- MACE. This feature blocks online ads at the DNS level, eliminating pop-ups and banners, and it also prevents access to malicious websites and blocks trackers.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections. PIA allows you to use as many devices as you want with just one subscription in Hawaii, which makes it a really affordable option.
- Boxcryptor License. This is an optional add-on to your subscription that comes at an extra cost. It allows you to encrypt your personal files and folders in Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and many other cloud storages.
|Intuitive apps for the major operating systems, suitable for beginners and experienced VPN users
|Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, Perfect Forward Secrecy, kill switch, split tunneling
|No-logs policy, independent audits and located outside the 5 Eyes Alliance, in Panama
|Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, ESPN+, and more
NordVPN was easy to set up and use during testing. It didn’t require anything more than a few clicks and my login info. The app features a world map with dots in countries where NordVPN has servers and a "Quick Connect" button that connects you to the best server for your location in Hawaii. There’s also an Auto-Connect feature that you can customize to connect you to a server of your choice once you log in.
One slight observation I made was that certain servers required a bit of time to establish a connection, and on occasion, the NordVPN application for Windows took over 30 seconds to start up.
I also always use the Threat Protection feature, which blocks pop-up ads, third-party trackers, and malware. Plus, it works even if you’re not connected to the VPN. This feature will reduce the number of ads you see on websites, blogs, and forums in Hawaii.
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. I reached out to the 24/7 live chat team, who were very accommodating and respectful of my decision. My full refund was processed in just three business days.
- Fast speeds. Using the NordLynx protocol, I smoothly streamed movies and shows, even in 4K on Netflix, without buffering. My base speed was 127.99 Mbps, and my average speed while connected to the VPN was 106.11 Mbps.
- Dark Web Monitor. This feature alerts you if your personal information appears in any data leaks while using the dark web in Hawaii.
- Meshnet. It operates as a secure LAN and lets you connect devices remotely. It’s ideal for file sharing, work collaborations, and multiplayer gaming in Hawaii.
- Optimized servers. NordVPN has specialty servers for different purposes. You can choose from Double VPN servers that route your traffic through 2 servers, P2P servers for torrenting, Obfuscated to hide your VPN use in Hawaii, and Onion Over VPN for the dark web.
|Connect as many devices as you want with just 1 subscription
|Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, 3 security protocols, a kill switch, MultiHop (Double VPN) servers
|No-logs policy, and independent audits, IP/DNS leak protection
|Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, ESPN+, Paramount+, Discovery+, and more
Surfshark allows unlimited simultaneous device connections with a single subscription. I tested this on 5 nearby servers and found that even with my laptop, tablet, and Android phone connected simultaneously, my average speed was 109 Mbps (my base speed was 127 Mbps). There was no noticeable drop in speed or performance.
While Surfshark is based in the Netherlands, which is a member of the 9 Eyes Alliance, I was comfortable using it across various devices at the same time. This confidence comes from its top-tier encryption, RAM servers, and its firm commitment to a no-logs policy.
It was pretty easy to get my money back when I tested the 30-day money-back guarantee through the live 24/7 live chat. I had my refund 4 days later.
- Bypasser. This is Surfshark’s split tunneling feature that lets you choose which apps to bypass the VPN or connect through it. It gives you the opportunity to direct your traffic in Hawaii to your needs.
- Camouflage mode. This is a feature that’s enabled automatically when you use the OpenVPN protocol, and it hides the fact that you’re using a VPN by obfuscating your traffic in Hawaii. It’s great when you’re connecting to restrictive networks.
- Global coverage. Surfshark has servers in the most countries worldwide of all the VPNs on this list. To be exact, its network is spread across 100 countries that you can connect to from Hawaii.
- Static IP servers. You also get a list of servers with static IPs that don’t change, which are different from the regular servers in that regard.
Quick Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for Hawaii in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN. It is the fastest VPN I tested, has robust security features, and reliably unblocks streaming platforms. You can even try it risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Connect to a server. Choose a country that has the content you want to access. For example, to access your BBC iPlayer account, connect to a server in the UK. If you need to get faster speeds in Hawaii, connect to a nearby US server.
- Start browsing. You’ve now got safe, private, and unrestricted access to the internet in Hawaii.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Hawaii
Every VPN included in this list had to fulfill particular criteria. Below, you'll find some of the key features that held the utmost significance.
- Fast speeds — To stream video content without buffering and play games without lag, you need servers offering fast connections, like those on my list.
- Global server network — If you want to access your international accounts while in Hawaii, you’ll need a VPN that offers a vast network of global servers as well.
- Strong security and privacy — A no-logs policy is crucial when choosing a VPN; it means that the provider doesn’t collect, store, or hand over any of your identifiable information. My recommended VPNs also use the most robust military-grade encryption (AES 256-bit), kill switches, safe protocols, and RAM servers to keep your identity and online activity hidden from prying eyes.
- Money-back guarantee — Always look for VPNs that offer a money-back guarantee so that you can try the service with confidence.
FAQs on Using a VPN for Hawaii
Why do I need a VPN for Hawaii?
There are a couple of reasons why you’d need a VPN for Hawaii. Whether you are living in Hawaii or just visiting, accessing content from abroad can be an issue due to geo-restrictions. For example, to access BBC iPlayer, you need a UK IP address, and most premium VPNs offer them.
Hawaii is part of the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance, and with increasing issues with cybercrime, using a VPN ensures your online activity is encrypted and protected from hackers.
So, whether you are concerned about accessing global content or protecting your online activity, using a VPN in Hawaii is crucial.
Can I use a free VPN in Hawaii?
Free VPNs are not the best option, even if they sound tempting. Free services can limit your speeds, bandwidth, data, and access to servers. They might even collect and sell your personal information to third parties.
Moreover, I haven't found any free VPNs with servers in Hawaii.
Instead of going for a risky free solution, you’d be better off trying premium VPNs with free trials or money-back guarantees.
Is using a VPN legal in Hawaii?
Hawaii doesn't impose any legal restrictions on VPNs. In fact, the Hawaiian House of Representatives introduced a bill that bans selling geolocation and browsing history information without user consent.
A VPN further protects your online privacy and security with features like AES 256-bit encryption, a no-logs policy, and RAM servers.
However, always check with your VPN provider to ensure the service is legal in your country.
Can I play Warzone with my Hawaii VPN?
Yes, you can play Warzone with a Hawaii VPN. A VPN hides your IP address when you’re connected to its servers and protects your connection. You can connect from any region and access region-specific features. It can give you access to easier bot lobbies to boost your stats or more competitive lobbies for a challenge with more experienced CoD players.
Just make sure to get a fast VPN. ExpressVPN, with its Lightway protocol, is a great option for optimized speed and performance when playing Warzone. Additionally, the added ping will be minimal, and it won't significantly impact your gaming experience.
Using a VPN in Hawaii to play Warzone will also ensure you'll get a secure internet connection and protection against leaks and attacks.
How can I check whether my Hawaii VPN changed my IP address?
First, note your current IP address and then connect to a VPN server. After connecting, recheck your IP address by using the vpnMentor free IP checker or any other similar tool. If it differs from the initial one, your VPN works properly.
Remember that when you connect to a VPN, your internet connection is encrypted and routed through a server in your chosen location. This means that websites and online services will only see the IP address of the VPN server and not your real IP address.
Get the Best VPN for Hawaii
While the internet is free of censorship in Hawaii, it still technically forms a part of the intelligence-sharing agreement of the 5 Eyes Alliance. A VPN with robust security features and a global network of servers can protect your privacy and enable you to access the content you need.
My testing showed that ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Hawaii as it gives you consistently fast speeds and secure connections for safe browsing, streaming, and torrenting. It’s also got plenty of servers in the US and worldwide, allowing you to access both local and international sites and services. You can try ExpressVPN with no risks thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
To summarize, here are the best VPNs for Hawaii
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.