5 Best VPNs for Iraq That Work in 2024: Fast & Secure
- Best VPNs for Iraq — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Automatic Obfuscation on Every Server for Private Access to the Web in Iraq
- CyberGhost — Optimized Servers for Streaming, Torrenting & Privacy in Iraq
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — MACE Automatically Block Ads, Malware, and Trackers in Iraq
- NordVPN — Onion Over VPN Servers for Additional Security and Privacy in Iraq
- Surfshark — Unlimited Simultaneous Connections to Protect All Your Devices in Iraq
- Quick Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for Iraq in 3 Easy Steps
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Iraq
- FAQs on Using a VPN for Iraq
- Get the Best VPN for Iraq
Violating religious, political, or social values online in Iraq can get you hefty fines or even 10 years in jail. Most VPN providers don’t work in the country at all. Even fewer have servers that are reliable for accessing foreign streaming platforms, news sites, and apps with decent speeds.
After extensive testing, I found the few that work in Iraq more reliably thanks to their advanced security features. My picks give you private, unrestricted access to global sites with fast speeds and military-grade encryption.
My top recommendation for Iraq is ExpressVPN. It has servers in 105 countries to easily change your IP address. Unlike the other services on my list, all of the servers are automatically obfuscated; you’re not limited to a handful of servers in 1–2 countries. Plus, you can try ExpressVPN risk-free since it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Iraq in 2024
- Editor's ChoiceExpressVPN
Best for Iraq, offering obfuscated servers for secure, open web access.70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
Specialized servers for streaming, gaming, and secure torrenting in Iraq.
- Private Internet Access
Features MACE to block ads, malware, and harmful URLs in Iraq.
Offers Onion Over VPN for extra security and easy Tor access in Iraq.
Secure all your devices in Iraq with unlimited simultaneous connections.
Best VPNs for Iraq — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Every server obfuscates your connection to disguise your VPN use
|3,000 servers in 105 countries, including Egypt & Israel
|Security & privacy
|Military-grade 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, IP/DNS leak protection, split tunneling, and a no-logs policy
|Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Max, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN+, Paramount+, Apple TV, Sky TV, ITV, and more
You can use any of ExpressVPN’s 3,000 obguscated servers in Iraq right out of the box, unlike other VPNs that require you to use special servers or turn on advanced settings to get them to work. The VPN picks the Automatic protocol by default to ensure it works on any network in Iraq. But obfuscation also works with the Lightway protocol. I usually use that one because it gives me the best speeds.
With TrustedServer Technology, ExpressVPN’s RAM-only servers can’t record your data. Its no-logs policy has also been audited by three different cybersecurity firms. It doesn’t have an ad blocker like some VPNs on this list, but there is a Threat Manager feature to block targeted trackers and malicious websites in Iraq.
Because of its proprietary Lightway protocol, ExpressVPN proved to be the fastest during my testing. I connected to some UK servers to access my BBC iPlayer account, and my average speed was an impressive 98.56 Mbps, only an 8% drop from my base speed of 107.55 Mbps. I recommend locations near Iraq, in Egypt or Israel to get the best performance.
You can also try ExpressVPN risk-free on up to 8 devices simultaneously. If you're not 100% happy with it, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. To test this out, I canceled my subscription after 3 weeks by using the 24/7 live chat and got my money back almost immediately.
- Located in the British Virgin Islands. ExpressVPN operates under the robust user privacy laws established in this jurisdiction. Additionally, the British Virgin Islands are not affiliated with any international intelligence-sharing alliance. As a result, you can trust that your data will never be disclosed to Iraqi authorities or any other government entity.
- Perfect Forward Secrecy. This constantly changes your encryption keys while you use the web in Iraq, making it practically impossible for any hacker to fully decrypt the connection and see your data.
- Private DNS. The VPN prevents your data from leaking by using its own private DNS servers, so your activity won’t be exposed while using it online in Iraq.
- MediaStreamer. ExpressVPN offers a Smart DNS service that works with specific US and UK streaming platforms. This feature allows you to watch your favorite shows in Iraq, even on devices that don’t support VPN apps, like gaming consoles and some smart TVs.
|Servers located around the globe dedicated to different online activities
|11,683 servers in 100 countries like Egypt, Israel, Qatar, Saudi Arabia & the UAE
|Security & privacy
|Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, an automatic kill switch, IP/DNS leak protection, and a no-logs policy audited by Deloitte
|Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Max, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN+, Paramount+, Apple TV, and more
CyberGhost has servers designed for streaming, P2P networks, and privacy, and each is constantly tested to ensure it works. The streaming options also frequently get new IP addresses to get past VPN blocks. All the CyberGhost streaming servers I tested unblocked their respective sites. Plus, its NoSpy servers are internally owned to protect your data from breaches. I found each special server category easily with CyberGhost’s intuitive app layout.
I recommend that you turn on CyberGhost’s WiFi protection when in Iraq. It automatically connects when you join a new, unsecured network. This means you don’t have to worry if you forget to turn the VPN on while you’re out and about.
All of CyberGhost’s specialized servers were fast, but I wanted to see how its ordinary servers fared with some speed tests. While its most distant options weren’t as fast as ExpressVPN, servers nearby only dropped my overall speeds by 5–8%, which wasn’t enough to notice a difference.
The VPN’s monthly plan is more expensive, but annual subscriptions cost only a fraction of the price. Plus, you can try CyberGhost for free for a lengthy 45 days using its money-back guarantee.
- Block content feature. Turn this on to automatically cross-reference all URLs with a database of known malware, protecting your devices from malicious links in Iraq.
- Android APK. If you’re already in Iraq, CyberGhost’s website and Google Play Store may be blocked. However, it’s still possible to download the Android app with the APK.
- Simultaneous connections. CyberGhost allows you to connect 7 devices simultaneously with one subscription in Iraq, which is far more devices than I ever use while traveling.
- Smart rules. You can automate CyberGhost to connect when you start your device or open certain apps. I used this with my torrenting client and Firefox to ensure I was always protected when browsing or file sharing.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA) — MACE Automatically Block Ads, Malware, and Trackers in Iraq
|Built-in ad blocker for a smooth and safe online experience in Iraq
|29,650 servers in 91 countries, including Egypt, Israel, Qatar, Saudi Arabia & the UAE
|Security & privacy
|Military-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak prevention, and RAM-only servers
|Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Max, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN+, Paramount+, and more
Turn on MACE in PIA's Settings menu to prevent malicious sites, ads, and bots from harming your devices and violating your online privacy in Iraq. It even sped up my connection slightly, since there were fewer trackers and pop-ups taking up my bandwidth. To maximize your security, I recommend pairing MACE with either the WireGuard protocol or OpenVPN with 256-bit encryption.
I got the best performance for UHD Netflix and smooth VoIP calls with the WireGuard protocol, which dropped my baseline speed by almost 23%. Although using OpenVPN and 128-bit encryption gave me less of a speed drop, I don’t recommend using a lower-strength security protocol in Iraq.
My only concern with PIA is that it’s based in the US, a member of the 5 Eyes Alliance. However, there’s nothing to worry about as it adheres to an audited no-logs policy, meaning it won’t store or share any of your data with third parties. Plus, I tested for multiple types of leaks, including DNS and IPv4, and PIA kept my personal information hidden on every server I tried.
You can put all of PIA’s features to the test for free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. If you're not satisfied, you can request a refund. I tested this guarantee by canceling my subscription, and I received my refund within 5 days.
- Multi-Hop and Obfuscation. This adds an extra layer of encryption to your connection in Iraq by routing your traffic through two servers instead of just one. You can enable it in the Multi-Hop tab of the Settings menu.
- Advanced kill switch. PIA’s advanced kill switch option blocks all internet access until you connect to the VPN, preventing you from using the web in Iraq unprotected.
- MTU size setting. If your baseline internet is slow, PIA lets you decrease MTU. This moves your data in smaller pieces which can increase efficiency for faster speed.
|Specialty servers to easily connect to the Tor network
|6,088 servers in 61 countries, including Israel & the UAE
|Security & privacy
|Military-grade 256-bit encryption, automatic kill switch, IP/DNS/ WebRTC leak protection
|Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Peacock TV, Max, ESPN+, Paramount+, Amazon Prime Video, and more
NordVPN’s Onion Over VPN servers let you use the private Tor network in Iraq from a normal web browser, giving you another layer of privacy. While usually, you need to use the separate Tor Browser to access this anonymous alternate web, NordVPN connected to it seamlessly in Firefox. I just had to choose an option from the Onion Over VPN server menu and was browsing anonymously in just a few seconds.
It also gives you multiple OpenVPN-based protocols to choose from. I recommend using UDP to maximize performance, but if you ever have connection issues, try TCP since it’s less likely to cause errors. Just select UDP or TCP from the Connection settings, then any option from the Obfuscated drop-down of the specialty servers tab. These servers hide your VPN use.
The only issue I had with NordVPN was that its Windows app took longer than the other VPN apps to launch. However, after that, the app worked smoothly and without any delays.
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee period on all its subscriptions. I wanted to test it out, so I reached out to the 24/7 live chat. A representative replied in under 3 minutes and the process was really quick.
- Headquarters in Panama. Panama falls outside the jurisdiction of the 5/9/14 Eyes data-sharing alliances and has laws to protect your privacy while you use the VPN in Iraq or anywhere else.
- Threat Protection. This is a real-time malicious site and ad blocker that can also detect and stop infected files from downloading, in case you click a harmful link in Iraq.
- Double VPN servers. These route your traffic through two NordVPN servers instead of one, doubling your security while you’re in Iraq.
- Meshnet. This feature operates as a secure LAN and lets you connect devices remotely. It’s ideal for file sharing, work collaborations, and multiplayer gaming in Iraq.
|Connect all your devices with just one subscription
|3,200 servers in 100 countries with options in Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, & the UAE
|Security & privacy
|Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, NoBorders mode
|Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Max, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN+, Paramount+, and more
Surfshark has the added benefit of unlimited simultaneous connections, so it protects all your devices without compromising speed. Even streaming on multiple phones and laptops simultaneously, I had no performance change. I maintained an impressive average of 87.3 Mbps during my Surfshark tests of US-based servers, which was about a 15.4% drop.
Its CleanWeb automatically detects and blocks malicious URLs, keeping you safer in Iraq while you browse the web. In addition to preventing malware and trackers that infect your devices and threaten your privacy, it stops your device from loading pop-ups.
The only issue with Surfshark is that it’s based in the Netherlands, which is a part of the 9 Eyes Alliance. However, there’s nothing to worry about because it has an audited no-logs policy.
You can test Surfshark for free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re unsatisfied with the VPN, you can easily get your money back through the 24/7 live chat.
- Camouflage mode. This hides the fact that you’re using a VPN in Iraq by obfuscating your traffic, so ISPs can’t see that you’re using Sufrshark.
- MultiHop servers. Similar to NordVPN’s Double VPN servers, a dynamic selection allows you to use two servers at once with Surfshark. However, Surfshark lets you choose the locations.
- Servers in 100 countries. Whether you’re in Iraq and need to access a sports game in Italy or a bank account in Malaysia, Surfshark has servers in more countries than any VPN on this list.
Quick Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for Iraq in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN. Every server automatically obfuscates your VPN use. Plus, its Lightway protocol is both fast and super-secure.
- Connect to a server. Choose a country that has the content you want to access. For example, to access your BBC iPlayer account, connect to a server in the UK. If you need the fastest speeds in Iraq, connect to a nearby server like UAE or Egypt.
- Start browsing. You can now browse and stream content securely while your online activities remain private.
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for Iraq
You can use the same criteria I followed when I was testing VPNs to find the best ones for Iraq:
- Strong security. To avoid surveillance and ISP tracking, choose a VPN with military-grade encryption, IP/DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. These help secure your connection against prying eyes and prevent your data from accidentally leaking.
- No-logs policy. In Iraq, you must keep your personally identifiable information private so you can use the web without worries. Read your VPN’s privacy documents to be sure it follows a strict no-logs policy. All my recommendations have proven zero-logs policies.
- Global server network. Avoiding restrictions requires a VPN with a global server network that's regularly maintained, like the ones on my list.
- Fast speeds. VPNs will reduce your base speed, but the difference is barely noticeable with the best VPNs. I made sure that all my recommendations let you stream in good quality or torrent quickly. Remember, connecting to the server closest to your location in Iraq is likely to give you the fastest speeds.
- Multiple device connections. Ideally, your VPN should secure all the devices in your household. The VPNs on my list conveniently offer multiple simultaneous connections with one subscription.
- Responsive customer support. Look for a VPN that offers live chat, email support, and an expansive knowledge base to help you get started and customize settings for Iraq.
- Ease of use. A VPN should be quick to set up and easy to navigate. The VPNs I recommended take minutes to install, and most have a one-click connect feature.
- Money-back guarantee. With a trustworthy refund policy, you can try a service to see if it meets your requirements. Every VPN on my list comes with a tried-and-tested money-back guarantee.
FAQs on Using a VPN for Iraq
What are the benefits of using a VPN for Iraq?
Using a VPN in Iraq protects your online privacy. Since you can be arrested even for accidental violation of internet laws in Iraq, you need to be very cautious. In addition, it’s advisable to protect yourself from cyber attacks when you use the internet in a public place, like a café or airport.
A good VPN safeguards you even on unsecured WiFi networks. Just make sure you pick a VPN with the right features, like military-grade encryption, a no-logs policy, and fast speeds. A VPN can also help you access your streaming platform from back home if you’re traveling.
Which VPN for Iraq has a Chrome extension?
All of the VPNs on this list feature a browser extension for Chrome. The browser plugins don’t offer the same level of functionality as a VPN, but make it easy to protect your web browsing without having to open separate programs. For non-browser activities, however, you still need to use your VPN’s native app in Iraq.
Is using a VPN illegal in Iraq?
Most VPNs are illegal in Iraq. The Iraqi government blocks VPNs that aren’t approved by the state and uses various forms of internet censorship. So not all VPNs work there, and only a select few proved to be more reliable. While it may not be as advanced as in some countries like China or North Korea, there is still a risk of punishment if you’re caught using a VPN.
Remember to thoroughly research the laws of using a VPN in Iraq before you download one, and be cautious of potential implications before proceeding. The team and I don’t condone using a VPN for any illegal activities.
Can I use a free VPN in Iraq?
Yes, but I don't recommend using free VPNs in restrictive countries like Iraq. Some free services sell your information to third parties to make money. Other free VPNs limit their security, speed, and access abilities so that you are forced to upgrade to their paid versions.
Paid VPNs don’t have these problems. Instead of risking your security and privacy through a free provider, it’s better to try a premium VPN with a free trial or a risk-free money-back guarantee.
Which VPN has an Iraq server?
VPNs don’t maintain servers in Iraq because the government there is hostile toward VPN providers. Therefore, it isn’t safe for an internet company to have a presence there. I looked at each VPN’s server network to choose the best for Iraq since they need to include options in nearby countries like Egypt, Israel, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, or the UAE.
Using a VPN to connect to a nearby server will usually give you the fastest speeds in Iraq compared to options that are further away. However, the availability and performance of servers can vary. I recommend you test different server locations to find the one that works best for your needs.
Get the Best VPN for Iraq
In Iraq, where internet censorship and government surveillance are prevalent, clicking the wrong link can land you in jail. Plus, you won’t be able to access your favorite apps and websites from around the world, like Netflix, if you're traveling there. To get back on the open web safely and freely, you need a VPN.
My top pick for Iraq is ExpressVPN, as it uses a global network of fully obfuscated servers, military-grade encryption, and a no-logs policy to keep your identity and online activity private. You can use it without changing any settings, and if you’re not 100% happy, you can claim a full refund within 30 days.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for Iraq
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.