5 Best VPNs for League of Legends — Play Anywhere in 2024
- Best VPNs for League of Legends — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Impressive Speeds for Playing LoL Without Lag
- CyberGhost — Gaming-Optimized Servers for Stable LoL Matches
- Private Internet Access — Extensive Server Network To Play LoL Anywhere
- NordVPN — Intuitive UI Makes It Easy To Play League of Legends
- Surfshark — Great Value VPN for Playing LoL on a Budget
- Quick Comparison Table: League of Legends VPN Features
- Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for League of Legends
- Quick Guide: How to Play League of Legends With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- FAQs on VPNs for League of Legends
- Get the Best VPN for League of Legends
As a League Summoner myself, I know the frustration of not being able to play with my friends while traveling. The high ping makes gameplay erratic and unplayable when playing far away from the home server. I’ve even been DDoSed during a match, which ruined a victory streak (and broke my keyboard).
You probably know that a VPN can help with most of these issues, but not all are up to the task. Most VPNs are too slow, have limited data, don’t protect against attackers, and just don’t have enough servers for you to choose from. Free ones are the worst among these, with major security issues.
My team and I tested over 40 VPNs to find the best one for LoL, and ExpressVPN is my favorite. It’s got the best speeds, a huge server network, and a no-frills setup that brings you back to gaming so you can rack up more wins. Plus, you can try ExpressVPN out risk-free. If it doesn’t work that well for you, you can request a refund within its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for League of Legends in 2024
- Editor's ChoiceExpressVPN
Optimal for LoL: superior speed, low ping for competitive play, and Wild Rift compatible.70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
- Private Internet Access
Vast server network for regional flexibility in LoL, with high customizability.
User-friendly apps for easy global LoL play on all devices.
Cost-effective VPN, great for LoL on multiple devices at once.
Best VPNs for League of Legends — Full Analysis (Updated 2024)
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Lightway protocol delivers optimal performance for gaming
|Only a 7% speed drop with low ping for smooth gameplay
|3,000 servers in 105 countries to reduce latency by connecting to a server close to you
|AES-256 encryption prevents DDoS attacks while playing League of Legends
|Safely play games online on up to 8 devices at once
ExpressVPN ticked all the right boxes when I tested it with League of Legends. It has really fast speeds and low ping, so you can play online with zero lag. It worked flawlessly every time I tried it, helping me play LoL smoothly, win more matches, and level up. Even when connected to a server in New York (thousands of kilometers from me), my ping was below 100 ms during my tests. Plus, it’s one of the few VPNs that helped me bypass ISP throttling, significantly lowering my ping while playing.
Its Lightway protocol is custom-designed to be faster and smoother, so it works without hiccups on most systems. It works particularly well on mobile devices, so I could easily play LoL: Wild Rift on my Android phone. It drains less battery than other VPNs I tested, so you won’t have to worry about your playtime getting cut short.
With 3,000 servers worldwide, you can play in any LoL region you want, even if your friends are split across different continents. I could play in the Philippines, North American, and Korean servers during my tests. Plus, each server performs reliably, so you don’t have to go through the hassle of trying multiple servers to find the best one. The user-friendly interface across all of ExpressVPN’s apps makes it quick to set up too.
It also has the latest security features, including AES-256-bit encryption, to protect all your online activity. This means it’s nearly impossible for any fellow gamer to DDoS you, and it prevents your ISP from being able to throttle your internet. Plus, there’s a kill switch you can enable, which will shut down your internet in case the VPN gets disconnected to prevent leaks.
The only issue is that ExpressVPN usually costs $6.67/month, which can be a substantial investment for first-time VPN users. But I got a discount of 49% when I signed up for the longest plan with another 3 months free, so you can get a great deal too.
All subscriptions have a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try ExpressVPN risk-free. If you find it’s not working that well for you, you can get a refund. I tested this policy via their 24/7 live chat and got my money back in just 4 days.
- Intuitive Interface. ExpressVPN’s apps are straightforward to use, with quick server selections and minimal loading times.
- Router Compatibility. You can install it on a router, which makes it easy to use a VPN on your gaming consoles and improve your online multiplayer.
- Split Tunneling. This lets you choose which apps to route through the VPN, allowing you to play LoL in any region while using your other apps normally.
|Reduce lag for a high-performance LoL experience with servers dedicated to gaming
|My average download speed was reduced by an unnoticeable 12%
|11,683 servers in 100 countries to quickly choose your LoL region
|DNS/IP leak protection to protect your privacy while gaming
|Use the VPN for streaming, gaming, and torrenting on 7 devices simultaneously
CyberGhost’s gaming-optimized servers are designed to prioritize gaming traffic, ensuring that you get the best possible connection while playing League of Legends. During my tests, I got better ping with these servers than without the VPN, so it can improve your gameplay and get you higher in the competitive leagues.
The speeds are great, too, as I got 112 Mbps while testing. That’s a drop of just 12% from my base speed of 128Mbps. This makes it easy to download large updates to the game even while you’re connected to the VPN.
And you have all the essential security features to prevent cyberattacks from ruining your game. Like ExpressVPN, CyberGhost also comes with AES-256 encryption to prevent DDoS attacks, as well as a kill switch. The DNS/IP leak protection prevents anyone from finding out your actual location while gaming, so your privacy is also safe.
The only issue is that the optimized servers are only in a few regions, so you don’t get to use them in every LoL region. But with gaming servers in the US, UK, France, and Germany, you get access to the most popular regions with ease. Plus, you can always use one of the other 11,683 servers.
CyberGhost’s long-term plans come in at $2.03/month and have a generous money-back guarantee, so you can test CyberGhost free for 45 days. Plus, you can get a discount of up to 84% when you sign up, so it’s worth checking out.
- Dedicated IP Address. You can buy this for a small extra fee, so you’ll have a static IP every time you play LoL, and you won’t face any annoying captchas while logging in.
- WireGuard Protocol. This works well with the gaming-optimized servers to give you a secure and speedy connection.
- Smart DNS. This is useful to set up on your TV and gaming consoles (which usually don’t support VPNs) if you’d like to access content from other regions.
|Maintain a consistent LoL experience by switching servers if one becomes overcrowded
|An 18% speed drop on close by servers to play LoL uninterrupted
|29,650 servers in 91 countries to bypass geo-restrictions
|Built-in ad blocker improves LoL: Wild Rift performance on mobile
|Unlimited simultaneous connections to protect all your devices at the same time
PIA has one of the largest server networks, so you’ll find one close to your chosen game server. This lets you play across all the LoL regions without an issue. I could easily play in the Vietnam, Singapore, and Brazil regions when I was testing it.
Its built-in ad blocker comes in handy for mobile gamers who want to play League of Legends Wild Rift without interruptions. The MACE ad blocker can reduce app load times and improve your overall connection speeds, making it easier to play the game smoothly while on the go.
However, during my tests, I faced a 45% speed drop when connecting to far-away servers like the US. This is quite a lot compared to other services like ExpressVPN. But thankfully, it’s not enough to impact LoL as it consumes only about 100MB of data per hour of gaming. If your internet connection is decent, it’ll still work well for you.
It usually costs about $2.03/month, but you can get a discount of up to 82% when signing up for a longer-term PIA plan, plus a few extra months. This makes it quite affordable. The VPN also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it if you're not yet ready to commit.
- Port Forwarding. PIA lets you set this up with ease, which is very handy if you’re hosting any LAN games.
- Ready-to-use Settings. When you install it, the apps come pre-configured with optimal settings that work well for gaming, so you don’t have to adjust anything to start.
|Perfect for beginners to easily connect to a server and start playing LoL
|10% speed drop in nearby regions for smooth gaming
|6,088 servers in 61 countries with quick selection using the map
|Built-in Threat Protection prevents malicious ads and downloads
|Connect up to 6 devices simultaneously without performance issues
NordVPN comes with one of the most easy-to-use apps I’ve tested, on par with ExpressVPN. The interface has a map showing you the servers in each region, so you can quickly click on the one you want. This is much more intuitive than navigating long lists. Plus, you have the Quick Connect button that connects you to the best-performing server to start playing LoL in no time.
It works great for playing LoL when connecting to nearby servers, with fast speeds and good overall performance. You can also choose to use the NordLynx protocol (which is based on WireGuard) for better gaming performance. During my tests, I found that it worked well on my Windows laptop, plus the mobile version was good too.
The main issue is that speed drops were much bigger when connecting to distant servers, often with unbearable ping. Using the Singapore server, my speed dropped by 34%. However, as soon as I switched to a nearby server, I could play without any glitches.
Prices start at $3.39/month, with the long-term plans offering the best value for money. You can also test NordVPN using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Threat Protection. An ad and malware blocker that protects you against accidentally downloading ransomware or viruses lurking in LoL clients.
- Split tunneling. With app-based split tunneling, you can bind LoL to the VPN so it launches automatically whenever you start to play. The feature is available on Windows 8.1 and later.
|Inexpensive, with unlimited connections and great discounts on long-term plans
|24% speed drop but good enough for playing LoL
|3,200 servers in 100 countries let you choose your LoL region
|CleanWeb blocks malware automatically when installing LoL clients
|Unlimited simultaneous device connections under one subscription
Surfshark is an affordable solution for playing LoL since you can connect an unlimited number of devices under one account. I played online games on my Windows PC, while also using the VPN on various other devices in my household with significant drop in performance. Despite having multiple devices connected at the same time, I could play LoL without any lag.
Static IPs are also provided, implying that you will retain the same IP address each time you connect to a specific server. This can be beneficial for LoL as it aids in circumventing IP bans. Moreover, the chances of encountering network problems are lessened with a fixed IP.
I faced a speed drop of 24% while testing it, which is slightly more than the other VPNs I’ve compared here. Luckily it’s fast enough to play LoL, since the data consumption is so low. You can also test all of its servers through the desktop app to see which one has the best latency.
Surfshark is one of the most budget-friendly VPNs at just $2.89/month for the longest plan. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try Surfshark with no worries.
- Quick-connect feature. Connect to the best-performing server to secure LoL sessions with a single click.
Quick Comparison Table: League of Legends VPN Features
Even the best League of Legends VPNs have a lot of different features to offer, so here’s a short table that sums up all their best ones so you can pick the ones most important to you.
Since speed, ping, and available servers are the most important for playing LoL across several regions, I focused on these specific attributes:
Tips on Choosing the Best VPN for League of Legends
If you’re not sure which VPN will work best for you, here are the main things I looked out for while testing all these VPNs:
- Fast speeds. Look for a VPN that offers fast and reliable performance. A VPN with slow speeds can result in lag and high ping times, making your gaming experience less enjoyable.
- Low ping. Ping is the time it takes for your device to communicate with the game server. A low ping time is important for online gaming as it ensures that your movements and actions in the game are reflected quickly and accurately..
- Vast server network. A larger server network can provide more options for finding a server with low latency and high speeds, improving your overall gaming experience. Plus, you need to have reliable servers in the specific regions you want to play in.
- Strong security features. Strong security features like AES 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection can help keep your data secure and private while you play League of Legends or any other online game.
- User-friendly interface. A VPN with a convenient interface can make it easier to connect to a server and start playing League of Legends quickly.
- Affordable price. You should consider your budget, look at the different pricing tiers for each VPN, and make sure you choose a plan that meets your needs and budget.
- Trustworthy money-back guarantee. Choose a VPN with a reliable refund policy to get your money back should you not be 100% happy with it.
Quick Guide: How to Play League of Legends With a VPN in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for its low latency, fast speeds, reliable servers, and best security features for uninterrupted gaming.
- Connect to a server. Pick a server closest to the LoL region you want to play in, such as New York, Paris, or the Philippines.
- Start gaming. Open the Riot Client and launch League of Legends so you can play with your friends from across the world.
FAQs on VPNs for League of Legends
How can I change my LoL region?
To change your LoL region, you’ll need to request an ‘Account Transfer’ by paying for it with in-game RP (which requires real money). This transfer process is restricted to a few countries, so another way to do it is by using a reliable VPN and creating a new account. But first, you need to download a reliable service like ExpressVPN and connect to a server in the region you want to shift to.
Then, create a new Riot Games account, and select the new region. Once you’ve done that, you can simply log in to the new account and play LoL again, but keep in mind that this will make you start from scratch (all your progress will exist on the previous account).
Does a VPN lower ping on LoL?
Yes, a VPN can help lower ping in LoL in several cases. This depends on your connection and distance to the game server, as well as your ISP. Some ISPs can throttle your bandwidth when playing games, so a VPN will mask your activity and get you full speed.
Plus, premium services have reliable servers where you can choose a location close to the game server and lower your ping by about 10-20%. But note if your basic ping is already very low, then a VPN will likely maintain a similar level as long as it is a good one.
Will you get banned for playing LoL with a VPN?
No, you will not get banned for playing LoL with a VPN as long as you don’t break any of their terms. Playing LoL with a VPN is perfectly fine by Riot Games’ TOS, but if you use it to gain an unfair advantage in competitive play or try anything unlawful, it’s possible to get banned. So be sure to stay updated with regulations and use a VPN for a fair game with low ping.
Which VPN is best for LoL Wild Rift?
The best VPN for LoL: Wild Rift is ExpressVPN, as it offers smooth performance and works flawlessly on mobile devices. Its Lightway protocol is well-optimized for both Android and iOS, and drains less battery. With a large server network and fast speeds, you can easily play Wild Rift in any region, including North America, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia. And unlike some VPNs, you won’t face issues while connecting to matches.
Can I use a free VPN with League of Legends?
Using a free VPN with LoL isn’t recommended because they tend to have slow speeds, high latency, a limited network, and security/privacy issues. A reputable service like ExpressVPN is a better alternative for the best gaming experience. You’ll likely have a more frustrating experience with a free VPN and may face too much lag to win competitive matches.
Can I use a VPN to play LoL in Iran and Syria?
Yes, you can use a VPN to play LoL in Iran and Syria, but be mindful of local laws and regulations as they may change. As long as it’s legal, you can use a VPN to play LoL with ease. The US tends to change its sanctions against both these countries from time to time, which can impact your experience.
Until recently, LoL was banned in Iran, but the US government recently lifted sanctions, so all Riot Games are available again. But again, these restrictions may change at any time, so be careful to check and comply with legal restrictions.
Get the Best VPN for League of Legends
Finding the best VPN for League of Legends can be a game-changer for any serious player. A premium VPN can help reduce lag, improve connection speeds, and give you access to the game from anywhere, thanks to servers distributed worldwide.
While each VPN I reviewed has strengths and weaknesses, ExpressVPN is my top choice for playing League of Legends. Its fast speeds, low ping, large server network, and robust security offer everything you need to enhance your gaming experience. Plus, you can try ExpressVPN risk-free since it's backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To summarize, these are the best VPNs for League of Legends...
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.