5 Best VPNs for New Zealand: Stream Fast & Stay Safe in 2020
Why would you need a VPN in New Zealand? Geoblocking is a major reason, but there are many others as well! Here are the top-level VPNs that give New Zealand residents and visitors access to geoblocked content from all over the world, along with better security than any ISP can provide. Share
Whether you live in New Zealand or are just visiting, you are probably sick of territorial restrictions that block your access to Netflix and other great web content. That’s why even though New Zealand has minimal censorship, you need a good VPN to get secure, reliable access to geoblocked content. The best VPNs also provide fast, virus-free downloading, protection from spying, safe torrenting, and a secure connection for banking transactions, even when using public WiFi.
To help you find the right VPN for your needs, our experts have put together a list of the top five VPNs for New Zealand residents and visitors alike.
Quick Guide – The Best VPNs for New Zealand
- NordVPN – For high-quality security combined with consistent speeds and P2P-friendly servers, NordVPN is the perfect choice.
- ExpressVPN – This VPN provides excellent speeds and stable connections with no downloading or bandwidth limit, making it ideal if you want to stream geoblocked content.
- CyberGhost – This innovative provider is a great choice for a stable, secure, and easy-to-use VPN that is torrent and P2P friendly.
- Hotspot Shield – This provider offers an intuitive interface, five simultaneous connections, many servers within New Zealand, and good security.
- PrivateVPN – Although not as well known as some other providers, this solid VPN offers stable connections and fast speeds with no download restrictions.
What Should You Look For in a VPN for New Zealand?
New Zealand residents constantly struggle with geoblocking of streaming content, including US and UK Netflix offerings. Therefore, when you are choosing a VPN for New Zealand, reliable, safe access to both local content and geoblocked music and movies is a must. Make sure the VPN can get you past Netflix’s sophisticated VPN blocking.
If you are visiting New Zealand, you’ll want to keep up with the geoblocked content and services you use at home in addition to exploring local content. Make sure the VPN you choose gives you access to servers both in New Zealand and in your home territory so you can change your IP address to stay connected. Because VPNs protect your identity, you can also review the hotels and restaurants you visit without giving away your location.
A VPN for New Zealand means improved security for everyone.
Whether your home is just around the corner or halfway around the world, your personal information is at risk every time you use public WiFi or a WiFi hotspot. A reliable VPN offers a perfect solution to secure your connection while traveling.
To be sure that the VPN you use in New Zealand provides the access and security you need, look for one with:
- stable connections, good speeds, and no download or bandwidth limits.
- servers in New Zealand. Choosing a VPN provider with servers in New Zealand gives you secure, private access to the popular free streaming channels TVNZ and TV3, as well as paid channels such as Neon, Lightbox, and Quickflix.
- torrenting. While torrenting itself isn’t illegal in New Zealand, downloading copyrighted material is. Several torrenting sites have been closed down in recent years due to copyright disputes. Using a VPN protects you by keeping your identity and location hidden.
- has servers in the US / UK. This is a must if you want to access geoblocked sites such as Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. The VPN must also be able to stay one step ahead of the increasingly strong blocks that Netflix and other streaming services are using to stop VPN users from accessing region-specific content.
- has good customer services. Look for 24/7 customer support, thorough guides, and informative FAQs pages. These are clear indicators of the best VPN providers.
- a user-friendly interface. One-click native apps, simple downloads, and easy-to-follow instructions will enable you to quickly and effortlessly establish a secure and private internet connection.
These Are the Five Best VPNs for New Zealand — Here’s Why
The #1 VPN for New Zealand
- 5,000+ servers, including 19 in New Zealand
- Excellent 24/7 customer service
- Superb security assured by a wide range of protocols
- 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN has the greatest number of servers in New Zealand among all major VPN providers, including servers that allow you to torrent safely and securely. It is also one of the few top VPN services that can bypass the tough Geoblocks that Netflix has put in place. NordVPN’s security features make it a favorite among reviewers and include 2048-bit AES encryption, double VPN, DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and a choice of protocols. Thanks to a strictly enforced no-logging policy, you can surf, stream, and torrent knowing that your connection is secure and your privacy is protected.
NordVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
- Yes, P2P specialty servers available.
NordVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It’s also compatible with routers.
The Fastest VPN available
- Over 3,000+ servers worldwide, including one in New Zealand
- Fast and stable connections
- Strict no-logging policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN that can reliably access geo-restricted content. It has no bandwidth or download restrictions, making it perfect for streaming and torrenting. That is just one of a number of reasons for this VPN’s many positive reviews. ExpressVPN’s server in New Zealand supports a host of protocols including OpenVPN, IKEv2, IPSec, and PPTP. Its split tunneling feature allows you to safely access your bank in New Zealand while streaming US Netflix through a US server. ExpressVPN shows that it takes security seriously with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS/IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch, and even offers browser extensions for additional browsing security.
ExpressVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, DAZN, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity.
ExpressVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox. It also offers an app for use with certain routers.
Easy to use with P2P support
- 10 servers in New Zealand
- Dedicated torrenting and file-sharing servers
- Practical and easy to use
- 45-day money-back guarantee and 7-day free trial
CyberGhost has a network of over 6,000+ servers across 90+ countries, including 10 in New Zealand. Its easy-to-use interface is one of the key features that users love, along with its seven simultaneous connections and ability to access geo-restricted content. CyberGhost’s 256-bit encryption, automatic kill switch, DNS and IP leak protection, and OpenVPN protocol ensure that your connection is private and secure.
CyberGhost can unblock:
- Dedicated streaming profile with servers optimized for: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go, Hulu, Comedy Central, Eurosport, ESPN, and others.
- Yes; dedicated profile shows countries and number of users.
CyberGhost works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, Android TV, Linux, and Chrome.
Perfect privacy and streaming
- Streams Netflix, Hulu, and more great content
- Military-grade encryption
- Unlimited data for up to 5 devices
- 7-day free trial
Hotspot Shield is a user-friendly VPN that offers five simultaneous connections to ensure that your whole family is protected. It has many servers within New Zealand, enabling you to access the content you want anonymously and securely. It offers lightning-fast speeds as well as military-grade encryption, guaranteeing quick, secure browsing.
Hotspot Shield is compatible with every operating system, has a no-logs policy, and offers dedicated tech support. You’ll be able to access geo-restricted content (like the BBC IPlayer) from anywhere, using any device.
Its ease of use makes it the perfect choice for beginners and experienced users alike, as its many fans point out.
Hotspot Shield can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video.
- Yes, P2P allowed on all servers.
Hotspot Shield works on these devices
- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chrome.
A solid VPN that meets all your needs
- No usage or bandwidth restrictions
- Easy to read set up guides and accessible customer service support
- 56 servers across the globe, including one location in New Zealand
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Even though PrivateVPN does not have as many servers as some other VPN providers, its server locations span much of the world, including New Zealand. You can unblock and stream both local New Zealand geo-restricted global content at fast speeds, such as Hulu, with no bandwidth or downloading restrictions. Superb customer service makes this provider a user favorite. PrivateVPN uses a variety of protocols to create secure connections, including OpenVPN, ensuring that your data is safe whether you are torrenting, streaming, or completing financial transactions.
PrivateVPN can unblock:
- Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Hotstar, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Yes, all servers support P2P activity; list of P2P-optimized servers available through the app.
PrivateVPN works on these devices:
- Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
The most important things to look for in the best VPN to use in New Zealand are access, security, and privacy. All the VPNs on our list provide these features and many more. The money back guarantees offered by these providers give you time to find the VPN that is perfect for your needs with no risk. If you’re still unsure about whether the benefits of a top-notch VPN for New Zealand are worth the investment, read our VPN guide to learn more about the many ways that the right VPN improves your online experience.