3 Best VPNs for Turkey That Work on Mobile and PC in 2024
- Best VPNs for Turkey — Full Analysis (Updated in 2024)
- ExpressVPN — Obfuscated Global Server Network Gives You Reliable Access to Apps and Services in Turkey
- CyberGhost — Specialty Servers In and Near Turkey For Gaming, Streaming, and Torrenting
- Private Internet Access — Highly Customizable for Optimal Online Security and Performance in Turkey
- Quick Comparison Table: Turkey VPN Features
- Quick Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for Turkey in 3 Easy Steps
- Tips on How to Choose the Best VPN for Turkey
- FAQs on Using a VPN for Turkey
Turkey has some of the strictest internet restrictions and surveillance, making it difficult to find a VPN that keeps you safe. Some VPNs are even restricted there as a way to enforce blocks on social media and other sites (like Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp). Plus, you might find sites like Turkish live TV or Netflix libraries inaccessible while abroad due to geo-restrictions.
My team and I tested 78 VPNs for Turkey and found only a few that still reliably work in the country. Each protects your online data with advanced security and privacy features. Plus, these VPNs offer Turkish and international servers to easily access the content you need.
My top pick for Turkey is ExpressVPN. It comes with military-grade encryption and a strict no-logs policy to hide your sensitive information. Its excellent unblocking capabilities and lightning-fast speeds let you stream Turkish (and worldwide) shows buffer-free. You can try ExpressVPN for Turkey risk-free since it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Short on Time? Here Are the Best VPNs for Turkey in 2024
- ExpressVPN — Best overall VPN for Turkey with a vast server network to effortlessly access Turkish and global sites, plus robust security features to safeguard your online activity. You can try it with confidence thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost — Specialty servers for gaming, torrenting, or streaming in Turkey or abroad, plus a privacy-friendly headquarters location.
- Private Internet Access — Highly customizable VPN app and connection settings to balance out speeds and security in Turkey.
Best VPNs for Turkey — Full Analysis (Updated in 2024)
1. ExpressVPN — Obfuscated Global Server Network Gives You Reliable Access to Apps and Services in Turkey
Tested February 2024 Try Risk-Free for 30 Days
|Provides hassle-free access to Netflix, BluTV free trial, ATV, TV8, Kanal D, TRT1, Disney+, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, WhatsApp, Skype, Zoom, TikTok, Snapchat, and more
|3,000 servers in 105 countries, including Turkey and nearby countries, like Greece, Cyprus, Armenia, Georgia, and Bulgaria
|Security and privacy
|IP/DNS and WebRTC leak protection, military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch
|Capable of buffer-free HD and 4K streaming over long distances, with an average speed drop of 13%
Throughout my time testing ExpressVPN, I had no trouble with VPN blocks. Whether you’re a Turkish ex-pat or a tourist in the country, you won’t lose access to streaming content from your home country or social media. ExpressVPN can go undetected by most sites and firewalls thanks to its obfuscated servers enabled by the Automatic or Lightway protocol. They hide the fact that you’re using a VPN, making your connection in Turkey more reliable.
ExpressVPN is a great choice for streaming due to its fast and consistent speeds, even over long distances, so you can stream buffer-free from anywhere. With servers in 105 countries, including Turkey and nearby countries, you’ll always find fast options near you. Plus, its Smart Location will automatically connect to the fastest server in or near Turkey with just a click.
ExpressVPN is based in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands, which is outside of any intelligence-sharing networks. Also, it has a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited by PwC, so you can be sure it doesn’t keep any personal or usage data.
Its only minor con is that it’s not the cheapest VPN. However, its long-term plans are significantly discounted, starting at just $6.67/month, and it’s well worth it when considering the quality of its service. You can try ExpressVPN out completely risk-free since it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. And you can pay anonymously using various cryptocurrencies via Bitpay.
- TrustedServer technology. ExpressVPN's servers are diskless, RAM-only, frequently rebooted, wiped at the OS level, and updated to ensure no data survives. It was tested when Turkish authorities seized one server but found no data in December 2022.
- Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS). This generates a new private key each time you connect, preventing hackers from accessing data from other sessions. This is especially relevant in Turkey, where your online activity can result in persecution.
- Lightway protocol. ExpressVPN's Lightway protocol, based on wolfSSL, is optimized for speed and security and has been independently assessed by Cure53. It obfuscates traffic by default, making it difficult to detect and censor VPN use in Turkey.
- Threat Manager. This feature blocks communication with malicious sites on ExpressVPN's blocklist, limiting data collection by unknown parties, regardless of whether you’re in Turkey or abroad.
|Special servers optimized for gaming, streaming, and torrenting
|11,690 servers in 100 countries, including Turkey and nearby countries, like Greece, Cyprus, Armenia, Georgia, and Bulgaria
|Security and privacy
|WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2 VPN protocols, IP/DNS/WebRTC leak protection, 256-bit AES encryption, and a kill switch
|Mostly fast but slower over long distances with an average speed drop of 19%
CyberGhost boasts of specialized servers designed specifically for streaming, gaming, or torrenting. This feature enhances the ease of streaming shows in Ultra High Definition from platforms like HBO Max, TRT1, and ATV. In addition, it has swift and dependable gaming and P2P servers located near Turkey. These facilitate quick torrenting of large files and offer a seamless, lag-free gaming experience for online games such as PUBG.
Based in Romania, CyberGhost isn’t under the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances. Testing and research showed that it also has a strict no-logs policy independently audited by Deloitte and uses RAM-only servers that don’t preserve any data. For a small fee, you can buy access to CyberGhost’s NoSpy servers, which are physically located in Romania, for added privacy while in Turkey.
CyberGhost’s long-term plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee vs. the 14 days available with the shortest, most expensive plan. So, you can get it for the low price of $2.03/month with a long-term plan and take a longer time testing it out to see if it’s for you. Plus, it has a relatively generous license that allows you to use it up to 7 at the same time.
- Privacy Guard. This Windows feature detects intrusive background services collecting your private information. It helps block trackers and stops your data from becoming public, which is vital in Turkey.
- Wi-Fi protection. These settings allow you to configure “smart rules” in the CyberGhost app to control how the VPN behaves when you connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Private Browser. This private browser powered by DuckDuckGo offers better privacy by not collecting any user data like other browsers. It’s compatible with Chrome extensions, so you don’t have to give up using your favorite tools.
- Transparency Reports. CyberGhost releases quarterly transparency reports detailing its refusal to comply with data requests. In Turkey, where this is commonplace, it provides extra assurance your privacy is protected.
3. Private Internet Access — Highly Customizable for Optimal Online Security and Performance in Turkey
|Apps have highly customizable settings to fine-tune performance and security
|29,650 servers in 91 countries, including Turkey, to access streaming platforms, like Netflix, ATV, TRT1, and more
|Security and privacy
|128 or 256-bit AES encryption, a regular and an advanced kill switch, IP/DNS leak protection
|An average drop of 33% over long distances, but faster on nearby servers
PIA gives you full control over performance and security by letting you customize everything, like the encryption level, packet sizes, DNS settings, and the kill switch. Even the split tunneling feature works on either apps or IP addresses. This allows you to access international content while still using local Turkish sites or services normally.
PIA’s interface and settings may feel overwhelming at first. However, you can get along by mostly using the automatic server suggestion and the default settings. It also has some convenient features, like displaying the ping of each server. While testing PIA, this helped me find the best server near Turkey quickly without having to test different options.
You can try PIA risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee. It’s one of the VPNs with the most affordable long-term plan. All plans include a free email breach monitor and affordable add-ons for anti-virus and dedicated IPs. It accepts Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin, making it convenient for crypto users. This is useful as PayPal has suspended operations in Turkey.
- MACE. MACE blocks malware, ads, and trackers with one click, removing pop-up ads from YouTube and torrenting software both in Turkey and internationally.
- Shadowsocks and SOCKS5. Multi-hop and Obfuscation adds an extra privacy layer by routing traffic through an additional server. Shadowsocks is more secure than SOCKS5 due to encryption, making it a good choice for firewall circumvention in Turkey.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections. PIA allows unlimited device connections. As I only usually use 2–3 devices at a time, my family members could use it on their devices while I was in Turkey.
- No-logs policy. Despite being based in the US (part of the 5 Eyes Alliance), PIA's strict no-logs policy means user data is not stored or shared. PIA does not comply with data requests and has a solid record in court.
Quick Comparison Table: Turkey VPN Features
Quick Guide: How to Set Up a VPN for Turkey in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN, with its exceptional security and privacy features for safe web browsing in Turkey and worldwide.
- Connect to a server. Choose a country that gives you access to the content you need. For example, select a Turkish server to get a free trial of BluTV or a US one to watch Hulu.
- Start browsing. You can safely access Turkish and international sites and services from anywhere.
Tips on How to Choose the Best VPN for Turkey
All the listed VPNs are reliable and highly secure. They also unblock Turkish and global content and provide fast speeds. You can use the below tips to make an educated decision about the best VPN for you:
- Strong security and privacy features — A VPN for Turkey requires AES 256-bit encryption, a no-logs policy, obfuscated servers, and a kill switch for security and privacy against attacks or surveillance.
- Global server network (including Turkey) — Pick a VPN with worldwide servers to access social media and streaming services (like Netflix, WhatsApp, Twitter, and YouTube) in Turkey.
- Fast speeds — Check if the speeds are fast enough for UHD streaming, torrenting without delays, and lag-free gaming.
- Easy to use apps — Make sure the VPN of your choice has user-friendly apps, reliable customer support, is compatible with various operating systems, and has a Turkish language option (if needed).
- Trustworthy money-back guarantee — Choose a service that offers a fast and easy refund if you’re not satisfied, so you can test it risk-free.
- Reliable customer support — In Turkey, VPNs may get blocked, requiring fast and helpful support. 24/7 live chat is the standard among top VPNs and is preferred by most users.
FAQs on Using a VPN for Turkey
Can I use a Turkey VPN on Chrome, PC, or iPhone?
Yes, you can. The best VPNs offer native apps for all major platforms, including Windows, macOS, iOS (iPhone and iPad), and Android. They can also be installed or configured on other devices, like Raspberry Pis, smart TVs, routers, Kindle Fire, or gaming consoles like PlayStation and Xbox. Some even have browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Opera.
What if my VPN isn’t working in Turkey?
If your VPN fails, try changing servers and ports and enabling a proxy protocol, like SOCKS5. If issues persist, contact your VPN’s support team. Turkish ISPs may block VPNs by targeting specific ports and using deep packet inspection. VPNs that have obfuscated servers, like ExpressVPN, are able to hide their traffic from ISPs.
In 2016, Turkey’s Information and Communication Technologies Authority (BTK) ordered ISPs to ban more than 10 VPN services, plus Tor. Restricted VPNs today may include NordVPN, Surfshark, IPVanish, TunnelBear, and more.
Are VPNs legal in Turkey?
Yes, VPNs are legal in Turkey, but VPN users may face difficulties accessing services due to blocks or deep packet inspections. However, these shortlisted VPNs are all confirmed to still work in Turkey.
The vpnMentor team doesn’t condone using VPNs to break local laws, and you should inform yourself about their legal use in Turkey. Using a VPN to bypass censorship, access banned websites, or insult Turkey can lead to prosecution with jail terms of up to 2 years.
Is Netflix available in Turkey without a VPN?
Yes, Netflix is available in Turkey, but you’ll be only able to watch content from the Turkish library without a VPN. A reliable VPN allows you to access your country’s Netflix library when traveling in Turkey. If you’re a Turkish citizen abroad, you can connect to a Turkish server to watch exclusive local content, like Love Tactics.
Why should I use a VPN for Turkey?
Turkey has limited internet freedom according to Freedom House, with the government regularly blocking social media and news sites. For example, after facing criticism over its response to the earthquake in February 2023, the government blocked Twitter and Ekşi Sözlük, leading to communication difficulties. Twenty people were arrested for "provocative posts," and social apps like Instagram are intermittently blocked.
That’s why a reliable and secure VPN is essential to have free and fair internet access in Turkey. Plus, some Turkish websites or streaming platforms are inaccessible internationally or only offer exclusive deals or content to local users. So a VPN can also help you access your content from back home while traveling abroad.
Is it safe to use a free VPN in Turkey?
Using a free VPN for Turkey isn’t recommended as it may not be safe. They often lack advanced security features and have poor privacy policies. Others make money by selling your information or bundling ransomware/malware into their apps. Also, they usually have very limited server networks and slow speeds. It’s a better option to use a tried-and-tested VPN with a money-back guarantee.
Can I use a VPN alternative for Turkey?
I don’t recommend it because none of the alternatives are safer than a VPN. Services like Tor, Smart DNS, and proxies might unblock sites while you're in Turkey, but they lack the high-end encryption, a kill switch, security protocols, and fast and reliable connections a VPN has. A VPN also protects your connection without noticeably reducing your speeds and offers more servers to connect to.
The Bottom Line
A decent VPN keeps your internet connection private and secure in and outside Turkey, thanks to high-end encryption, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy. Plus, a large server network that lets you access Turkish and international sites and services.
My best choice for Turkey is ExpressVPN. It has top-notch security features to safeguard your personal information and excellent unblocking capabilities to stream your Disney+ and Netflix Turkey accounts. You can even try ExpressVPN without any risk (it’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee).
To summarize, here are the best VPNs for Turkey
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.