8 Best VPNs for Turkey – For Safety, Streaming & Speeds in 2020
- Short on time? Here’s a summary of the best VPNs for Turkey
- Why You Need a VPN for Turkey
- The Best VPNs for Turkey – Full Analysis (Updated 2020)
- NordVPN – Best All-Round Performer
- ExpressVPN – Best for Flexibility
- Surfshark – Best for Large Families
- Private Internet Access – Best for Anonymity
- PrivateVPN – Best for P2P Sharing Anywhere
- VyprVPN – Best for Bypassing Any Geoblock
- Hotspot Shield – Best for Long Distances
- Windscribe – Best for Blocking Leaks
- What You Need to Know About Using a VPN in Turkey
- How We Tested the Best VPNs for Turkey
- The Bottom Line
With such intense digital censorship, using a VPN is the only way to surf the internet safely and anonymously in Turkey. But the same restrictions that block your favorite sites also block some VPN providers, too. So finding one that works isn’t so simple.
I’ve researched and tested over 39 premium VPNs to find you the best choices for Turkey that offer speed, security, and reliability. I only found eight that aren’t blocked by Turkish Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and offer what you need from a VPN subscription, too.
My top pick is NordVPN because it offers speed, affordability, and everything in between. Even better, it has a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Want to see which other VPNs I recommend? Keep reading to see which one’s right for you.
Short on time? Here’s a summary of the best VPNs for Turkey
- NordVPN – My #1 pick with the best performance and speeds, as well as advanced security measures. Compatible with Tor and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN – Fast speeds, military-grade encryption, and extra flexibility with split tunneling that lets you access domestic sites with your local IP address.
- Surfshark – Ideal for the whole family with unlimited simultaneous connections. Added privacy through multiple server connections and Camouflage Mode to hide your VPN traffic.
- Private Internet Access – Widespread global server network, solid security features, and up to ten simultaneous device connections.
- PrivateVPN – Unlimited P2P sharing on any server, with high-end encryption and an automatic kill switch for guaranteed anonymity.
Why You Need a VPN for Turkey
It’s no secret that the Turkish government is one of the harshest out there when it comes to internet freedom.
It keeps a watchful eye on your traffic and heavily restricts which sites you can visit, both temporarily and permanently. These sites often include Google, Facebook, YouTube, and even the Tor network. This is called geoblocking. If you try to access these blocked sites, you could face harmful legal implications. That’s why you need a VPN.
A VPN lets you hop onto a server elsewhere in the world so you can unblock sites and apps that are otherwise restricted. A VPN does this while hiding your actual traffic and keeping you invisible. This means the Turkish government can’t see which sites you’re visiting or even trace you as an individual. But of course, you need a VPN that offers the highest possible security so you know you’re always anonymous, no matter what.
The Best VPNs for Turkey – Full Analysis (Updated 2020)
I’ve spent hours researching and testing 39 VPNs, and I’ve found 8 great choices for bypassing censorship in Turkey. I regularly revisit my tests to make sure this list is up-to-date so you’ve always got a VPN you can rely on. Now all you need to do is decide which is right for you.
- 15 Turkish servers and 5,600+ worldwide
- Obfuscated servers
- Lightning-fast speeds
- Advanced encryption and no logging
- Onion over VPN
- Six simultaneous connections
- Works with: Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Hotstar, Fox
- Compatible with: iOS, macOS, Android, Windows, Linux, browsers, routers
NordVPN is my top pick for Turkey, thanks to its ability to fly past geoblocks and stay undetected. You can connect to 15 servers in Turkey if you’re just looking to stay invisible or over 5,600 worldwide to unblock the geo-restricted sites and apps you need.
It increases your invisibility with its obfuscated servers, specially designed for locations with strict censorship. These servers hide the fact you’re using a VPN altogether, which means you’re completely invisible to your ISP.
Wherever you choose to connect, you have blazing-fast speeds guaranteed. Whether you’re after a server nearby or need one further overseas, you’ll see buffer-free browsing, streaming, and gaming. You might even see an increase in your speeds.
Need access to Netflix, Google, and your email—possibly at the same time? NordVPN has you covered. You can browse unrestricted and with unlimited data across six of your devices simultaneously.
NordVPN offers Onion over VPN functionality so you can use the Tor network once you’ve connected to a server. That means you have a double layer of privacy and security while you’re surfing the network.
You’re highly secure with 256-bit AES encryption, a strict no-logs policy, and even a built-in ad blocker called CyberSec, which secures your device against risky ads and malware.
NordVPN also offers an automatic kill switch, which is essential for Turkey. If your VPN connection ever drops, the kill switch steps in to automatically block your traffic so your activity isn’t leaked.
NordVPN’s plans are affordably priced, and there’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it out first. If it’s not right for you, just request your money back using the 24/7 live chat.
Want to know more? Explore our NordVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 3,000+ servers worldwide, including Turkey
- Unlimited data and bandwidth
- Split tunneling
- 256-bit encryption and automatic kill switch
- Zero logging
- 24/7 live chat
- Works with: Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, Crackle, Crunchyroll, Sky Sports, BBC iPlayer
- Compatible with: Chromebook, iOS devices, Windows, Android, Xbox, Playstation, routers
ExpressVPN has 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, which includes plenty in Turkey and nearby. All servers come with unlimited bandwidth and data so you can access the internet with no restrictions—and with blazing-fast speeds, too.
If you think your speed could be improved, you can use ExpressVPN’s built-in speed test on Macs and PCs to see which servers are performing the fastest. If the one you’re connected to isn’t fast enough, just disconnect and choose another.
ExpressVPN offers added flexibility with its split tunneling feature. You can activate this to route certain apps or traffic through your VPN, but leave others out so you can use your local IP address simultaneously. Remember that anything you leave out isn’t encrypted, though.
ExpressVPN’s servers support a number of different security protocols, including the industry standard, OpenVPN. But you can switch depending on whether you favor speeds over security.
It’s highly secure, using 256-bit AES encryption to mask and seal your data. There’s also a strict zero-logging policy and a network lock feature (automatic kill switch) to save you from any risky leaks.
You have even more privacy through zero-knowledge DNS. ExpressVPN runs its own encrypted DNS on every server to handle your requests, leaving out any third parties. This means your connections are faster and safer, with less risk of man-in-the-middle attacks.
Want to install on multiple devices? With ExpressVPN, you have up to five simultaneous connections. You can even install it directly to your gaming console without router configuration first.
If you need help getting set up, just use ExpressVPN’s 24/7 live chat. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free with no commitments.
Want to know more? Explore our ExpressVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 1,040+ servers in 61 countries
- Fast speeds
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- MultiHop for added privacy
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Camouflage Mode
- Works with: Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, HBO GO, Sky TV, BBC iPlayer
- Compatible with: Fire TV, iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, Linux, browsers
Surfshark should be as high on your list as it is on mine, not least for its affordable plans—they’re one of the cheapest out there, and you’re protected by a 30-day money-back guarantee. For such little cost, the VPN has a lot to offer.
You can connect to over 1,040 servers in 60+ countries. While there are no servers in Turkey, there are plenty nearby, including in Bulgaria and Greece.
You’re best connecting to a server near Turkey if you want the fastest possible speeds. However, I found the speeds fast enough during my tests for lag-free streaming and browsing, even over long distances on a US server.
Surfshark can reliably unblock popular streaming sites, including Netflix libraries worldwide with its NoBorders Mode. And with unlimited simultaneous connections, you can stream across every device, too.
Privacy conscious? The MultiHop feature lets you connect to multiple locations at once. Your browsing traffic is sent through servers in different locations so that it’s even harder to find you, so it’s ideal for Turkey, where you can’t risk being found. It does slow your speeds down, so avoid it for resource-heavy activities like HD streaming.
Surfshark uses Camouflage Mode to hide your VPN traffic so your Turkish ISP can’t even see that you’re using a VPN, never mind which sites you’re visiting.
It also uses industry-leading AES 256-bit encryption, alongside an automatic kill switch and a strict no-logs policy for maximum privacy. You have a CleanWeb feature, too, which clears your browser of any ads or malware that might compromise your security.
You can use the Whitelister feature to control which apps go through the VPN. If you’re looking to stream your favorite TV show on Netflix US but also need to transfer some money through online banking, you can do both simultaneously.
If you need help, there’s on-hand support with the 24/7 live chat.
Want to know more? Explore our Surfshark review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 3.200+ servers in 46 counties, including 2 in Turkey
- Decent network speeds
- Unlimited bandwidth and data
- Built-in malware blocker
- No-logs policy and leak protection
- Military-grade encryption
- Works with: Netflix, YouTube, Sky Go, HBO, Showtime
- Compatible with: Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, Linux, browsers, routers.
Private Internet Access (PIA) is one of the most secure VPNs on the market. Packed full of top-shelf security features, every time you’re connected to PIA, your sensitive data and anonymity is protected.
AES 128-bit encryption is standard, but this can be increased to military-grade 256-bit encryption within the easy-to-use Private Internet Access app. Choose from multiple encryption protocols – including the industry-standard OpenVPN – and ensure whether you’re streaming, surfing, or torrenting in Turkey, your internet activity cannot be traced back to you.
None of your identifying data will appear on the unsecured web courtesy of an automatic kill switch. Plus, in my tests for IP and DNS leaks, none were detected on multiple websites.
The security doesn’t end there. PIA also operates a strict no-logs policy and has MACE, its built-in malware, adware, and tracker blocker. I put MACE to the test on some ad-heavy torrenting sites and it worked very well.
PIA has a vast network of 3,200+ servers in over 40 countries – including locations in Turkey – so you can access local and global sites, knowing that you’re protected at all times.
Streamers will be pleased to know that Private Internet Access can access some of the popular streaming services, including the UK and US Netflix libraries, Showtime, and HBO. However, no matter what server I tried, I couldn’t access Hulu, BBC Player, or Disney+.
Download speeds are impressive, allowing for lag and buffer-free streaming. I tested the servers myself and achieved speeds way over the 5 Mbps required for HD streaming. Upload speeds are also decent, allowing for fast sharing of large files with friends. Plus, P2P activity is permitted on all servers.
You can connect 10 devices at once with a single PIA subscription and the VPN is compatible with a wide range of operating systems and gadgets. You can test out PIA on your devices for a month risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Customer service is an area that could be improved, with the ticket system sometimes taking a while to provide a response. However, there is a large knowledge base of guides and FAQs on the PIA website that will help solve a wide range of issues.
Want to know more? Explore our Private Internet Access review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 150+ servers around the world, including Turkey
- Unlimited bandwidth and data
- Various security protocols
- Unlimited P2P sharing on any server
- 256-bit encryption and a no-logs policy
- Six simultaneous connections
- Works with: Amazon Prime Video, HBO GO, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Sling TV, Sky TV
- Compatible with: Android, iOS devices, Windows, browsers, Playstation, Xbox, Blackberry
PrivateVPN might be smaller than other leading VPNs, but it still has everything you need. There are 150+ servers in 60 countries, and Turkey’s on the list. There are servers in nearby countries, too, including Greece, Bulgaria, and Ukraine.
I found the speeds steady and reliable during my tests, so you’ll have no problem streaming, gaming, or video calling on Skype. Servers in the UK and US were slower, but you won’t notice your speeds slowing down much.
PrivateVPN keeps you secure anywhere you are, even on public WiFi. There’s 256-bit AES encryption so you’re completely anonymous and safe from any snoopers—including the Turkish government.
You have multiple security protocols available so you can pick which suits your device and your browsing needs the best. The app defaults on the OpenVPN TCP/UDP protocol for you, which offers speed and security in one.
PrivateVPN supports unlimited P2P sharing on all servers, so you can download and share files with no restrictions. Since PrivateVPN’s headquarters are in Sweden and it upholds a strict no-logs policy, it can’t be forced to hand over info about you to the Turkish government.
There’s also an automatic kill switch for guaranteed anonymity, even if your connection is interrupted.
The app is quick to download, easy to set up, and simple to use. But if you need it, PrivateVPN offers free remote support to set up the app for you. Just access the live chat to request this support—it’s available from 9 am to 5 pm Central European Standard Time.
If you’re ready to try it out, you can take PrivateVPN for a test run on six of your devices at once with the company’s 30-day money-back guarantee.
Want to know more? Explore our PrivateVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 700+ servers worldwide, including Istanbul
- Chameleon security protocol
- Unlimited bandwidth and data
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Headquarters in Switzerland with a no-logs policy
- VyprDNS protection
- Works with: BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Crunchyroll, Sling TV, ESPN
- Compatible with: Smart TV, routers, Android, Windows, iOS, macOS, Chromebook
If you want to access any website anywhere in the world, VyprVPN might be for you. It uses a Chameleon security protocol that’s engineered specifically to bypass geoblocks, especially on streaming sites, but always keep you secure. Even in a heavily restricted location like Turkey, you’re in control of your internet freedom.
You have 700+ servers from which to choose, including a server in Istanbul. There are several servers nearby Turkey, too, so you have faster speeds available.
I put streaming and browsing to the test and had reliable connections every time, with no buffering, lagging, or fuzzy pictures. My speeds decreased slightly the further away I connected, but you’d expect that with any VPN, and I didn’t notice much difference.
VyprVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption for maximum security, even on unsecured public networks. There’s also an automatic kill switch to ensure you stay undetected in Turkey.
As well as hiding your IP address, VyprVPN protects your DNS requests with VyprDNS. This means your location and browsing activity stay anonymous, reducing the risk of man-in-the-middle attacks that could expose you.
VyprVPN is based in Switzerland—a country known for being privacy-friendly. It’s not required to hold any of your data, so it keeps a strict no-logs policy for complete privacy whether you’re connected to a server or not.
You can use VyprVPN across all of your devices since it allows five simultaneous connections. And if you’ve any questions, there’s a live chat available around the clock.
Try it out for yourself risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Want to know more? Explore our VyprVPN review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- 3,200+ servers worldwide
- Catapult Hydra VPN technology
- High-end encryption
- Automatic kill switch
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Five simultaneous connections
- Works with: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, HBO GO, Sling TV, Disney+, ESPN
- Compatible with: macOS, Windows, Linux, Chromebook, iOS, Chrome, Firefox
Wanting to connect to servers far away? Hotspot Shield is a strong choice for reliability over longer distances. It uses unique Catapult Hydra VPN technology that stops limits on bandwidth caused by random packet loss. If you’re in Turkey and looking to watch Netflix on the other side of the world, Hotspot Shield’s protocol guarantees HD, buffer-free streaming.
Hotspot Shield has worldwide coverage with 3,200+ servers in over 70 countries. It even has servers in Turkey. You have unlimited server switches, so you can move around the globe to unblock geo-restricted sites in different countries.
Alongside best-in-class encryption, there’s an automatic kill switch and a zero-logging policy. This means you leave no data or browsing history behind, so you can’t be traced by Turkish surveillance.
You can connect five of your devices at once, so you have internet freedom across every platform you own.
Hotspot Shield has a generous money-back guarantee of 45 days, so you have six weeks to try out its premium features, risk-free.
Need support? There’s a 24/7 live chat.
Want to know more? Explore our Hotspot Shield review to see the full results of our research and testing.
- Servers in Turkey and 62 other countries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Split tunneling
- Firewall to block all traffic
- Ad, tracker, and malware blocker
- Zero-logging policy
- Works with: Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, HBO GO, Disney+
- Compatible with: Android, Windows, iOS, macOS, Raspberry PI, routers
Windscribe is a compact VPN with servers in 63 countries, including Turkey. It has a smaller network, which means connections can become congested when too many users log on. I experienced some speed loss during peak times, but I could still stream and browse without much hassle.
Windscribe has a lot to offer in terms of security. It uses industry-standard AES 256-bit encryption and is compatible with the most modern security protocol, OpenVPN.
Instead of an automatic kill switch, Windscribe uses a firewall that blocks all connectivity outside of the VPN. This means no DNS requests or any browsing traffic can be leaked if the VPN connection fails, because your entire device is on lockdown. This is a great feature, but note that it’s only for Windows and Mac users.
You also have a built-in ad blocker, R.O.B.E.R.T., which protects you from ads, tracking, and malware. This is customizable so you can choose what’s blocked and what’s not. But remember, it’s risky leaving anything out of the VPN, especially in Turkey where eyes are always watching.
There’s more flexibility, too, through the split tunneling feature. Turn this on if you want to leave some of your apps outside of the VPN, such as domestic sites or online banking apps.
As with all the VPNs on this list, Windscribe offers a strict no-logs policy. There are unlimited simultaneous connections, too.
Want to know more? Explore our Windscribe review to see the full results of our research and testing.
What You Need to Know About Using a VPN in Turkey
VPN use is heavily restricted in Turkey, so you might struggle to actually get onto a VPN website when you’re there. This means you won’t be able to download the app to your device.
Make sure you install the app before you enter the country so you can definitely connect to your VPN.
How We Tested the Best VPNs for Turkey
In Turkey, a VPN must be three things: secure, speedy, and reliable. I spent hours researching and testing the best VPNs out there to make sure they truly deliver in every area. Here’s how I tested each VPN:
- Advanced encryption: To avoid surveillance, you need strong encryption that maintains your anonymity and stops snoopers from getting their hands on your data or browsing activity. All of the VPNs on this list offer industry-leading 256-bit AES encryption, which is basically impossible to break, so there’s no need to worry about data leaks or being exposed.
- Kill switches and no-logs policies: Both of these features are equally important. A kill switch blocks your traffic to prevent any leaks if something compromises your VPN connection. A no-logs policy makes sure there’s no data trail left behind, so it’s as if you were never there in the first place. In Turkey, you need guaranteed anonymity no matter what—with these VPNs, you have just that.
- Large global network: Worldwide servers mean better access to geoblocked sites and content around the globe, especially streaming services. The more servers a VPN has, the less likely it is that sites like Netflix will detect you, since there are more IP addresses to switch to before they can see you’re using a VPN.
- Servers in Turkey or nearby: Servers in Turkey mean you can reach local content safely, anonymously, and at higher speeds since there’s less distance for your traffic to travel. Most of the VPNs on this list have servers in Turkey, and all have servers nearby.
- Fast speeds: There’s no point in hopping onto a server in another country and unblocking your favorite site, only for it to take forever to load. Fast speeds ensure there’s less buffering, lag, and poor picture quality for you to sit through.
- Ability to bypass geoblocks: You also need guaranteed access to the sites the Turkish government won’t let you visit. Whether it’s a search engine, your social media platform, or a streaming site, these VPNs you can regain your internet freedom.
🚫 Why are VPNs blocked in Turkey?
VPNs have been restricted in Turkey since 2016, when the government requested that ISPs block access to anyone using a VPN or other anonymity service. This is so the Turkish government can keep track of exactly which sites you’re visiting and block access to any sites it doesn’t want you to look at. With a VPN, everything you do is invisible, so the government can’t see what you’re looking at online.
🚧 Is Netflix blocked in Turkey?
Currently, the Turkish government hasn’t attempted to block any Netflix content. However, the censorship rules change as often as daily in Turkey, so that’s not to say it won’t be blocked in the future.
The Turkish Netflix library also has a different catalog of content, so you might not find everything you need on there. With a VPN, you can unblock Netflix libraries worldwide, including Netflix US, which is known for having more content available than others.
🔒 Should I leave my VPN on all the time?
In Turkey, where there are strict censorship laws, I would recommend leaving your VPN on all the time. That way, you won’t forget to turn it on and risk using the internet with your IP address and browsing traffic visible. Many of the VPNs on this list offer an automatic-connect feature, so the minute you fire up your device, the VPN connects to a server for you.
The Bottom Line
If there’s one thing we know about Turkey, it’s that internet freedom is on a steady decline. The Turkish government takes surveillance of users very seriously, and it keeps tabs on everything you do online. Not just that: It changes its mind every day about which sites it blocks. You might be able to access your social media one day, but then not the next.
To avoid geoblocks and stay undetected by your Turkish ISP, you need a VPN. And you need a VPN that’s completely secure and reliable. I’ve spent hours testing premium VPNs, and after extensive research, I only found eight that I’m happy to recommend. My top choice is NordVPN, thanks to its feature-rich, affordable packages and advanced security. But every VPN on my list will serve you well.
Tor is high on the ban list in Turkey, so take a look at the VPNs we recommend for Tor browser.
Found your VPN match? We’ve rounded up the best deals and coupon codes so you can get a discount on your subscription. Just enter the details when you sign up!
To summarize, the best VPNs for Turkey in September 2020 are …
You are exposing yourself to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend NordVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 68% off.