How to Download and Install HotSpot Shield on Windows
Hotspot Shield is a VPN service with relatively good reviews, but like any online service, reviews aren't always enough to make the right choice. As your loyal VPN mentor, I went over the process of purchasing and installing Hotspot shield to find out exactly what it's all about. Share
Want to get Hotspot Shield but don’t know how? We take you through the process of downloading and installing it step-by-step.
Step 1: Open a Hotspot Shield Account
If you only want the free version, skip to step 2 below.
Personally, I tend to be suspicious about free VPN services, but if all you’re going to do is look for plane tickets or watch the Eurovision, Hotspot Shield’s free VPN plan is definitely worth a try.
If you would like to purchase Hotspot Shield, follow these steps:
- Go to the HotSpot shield website.
- Select the plan you’d like to purchase. The most popular plan is $5.99 per month, which is a reasonably good price compared to some of the competitors.
- Click on purchase. Once there, you will be taken to a secure checkout process and will be offered some extra features for an additional cost. You can skip them if you’d like.
- Once you purchase your subscription, you will get a confirmation email. At the end of this process, I got an email approving that my account has been redeemed.
So far so good!
Although Hotspot Shield has apps for all sorts of devices, I downloaded the Windows client.
Here’s how to do it:
- From the email click on “Get Started.” (If you didn’t purchase an Elite subscription, go to this webpage and click on Download VPN at the top right corner. )
- Your device should immediately start downloading the VPN. You can also go to your Dashboard on the website and under “my Elite devices” select to download Windows.
- Open the downloaded file and install the client.
If you downloaded the free version, Hotspot Shield will continuously prompt you to upgrade. When you open the app, it will trick you into signing up for a 7-day free trial.Click on the upper right arrow to be taken to the app.
Step 3: Open Hotspot Shield and Turn on the VPN
Hotspot Shield is fairly simple to use.
If you bought a subscription you will need to sign in and enter your username and password.
Otherwise, it’s fairly simple.
- Click on the power button to connect your VPN.
- If you want to change your setting click on the three lines and the top left corner.
- Go to settings.
From here you can change your settings (if you have an Elite subscription).
To sum things up
Although it isn’t complex, Hotspot Shield can be annoying if you don’t buy the Elite version. The advanced options are also limited, and I see no reason to chose Hotspot shield over leading VPN’s like Nord and Express.
For more info, please check out our user reviews on Hotspot shield.