How to Unblock Grindr Safely (Even If You’re Banned) in 2022
If Grindr is banned in your country, meeting up with other LGBTQ+ people can be difficult and unsafe. With homophobic authorities on the lookout, your chances of getting caught are pretty high.
After conducting some research, I discovered that you can use a VPN to safely unblock Grindr from anywhere — even in banned countries. A VPN is an app that hides your activity from your internet service provider (ISP) and the government so they can't see or control what you do online. Not only does this unblock Grindr, but it’ll protect your privacy from unwanted third parties like the government.
Of the 30+ VPNs I tested, I found just a few that can consistently unblock Grindr with ease. My top recommendation is ExpressVPN because of its fast speeds and world-class security features. Test ExpressVPN out for yourself risk-free. If you don't feel it's right for you, you can get a full refund within the 30-day money-back guarantee period.
Quick Guide: How to Unblock Grindr From Anywhere in 3 Easy Steps
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because of its global server network and military-grade security. Plus, ExpressVPN is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can buy in confidence.
- Connect to a server. Choose a server in your country to see profiles in your area.
- Start using Grindr! Create a Grindr profile, and start chatting with other LGBQT+ people.
Dozens of countries have banned Grindr due to homophobic laws and religious beliefs that prevail in these nations, and a VPN can bypass these bans. Some examples of the nations where Grindr is banned include Egypt, Russia, Turkey, Indonesia, and the UAE.
A VPN unblocks Grindr by redirecting your traffic through its private servers, so your ISP can't monitor or control the sites you visit. Because VPNs also encrypt your traffic, your ISP and the government can't access your personal details or see what you’re doing online.
Even in countries where Grindr is legal, it isn't safe to use without a VPN. Dating apps are often targeted by hackers who try to find and exploit security flaws. If they’re successful, they can access your exact location and other details to piece together your identity. Hackers can then use this information to blackmail you, threatening to out you to friends, family, or employers if you don’t pay. Always use a VPN when connecting to Grindr and other dating apps, and nobody will be able to steal your personal information.
- Unbreakable encryption to protect your data when you use Grindr
- 3,000 servers in 94 countries to unblock Grindr
- 5 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works with Grindr, Bumble, Tinder, Plenty of Fish, OkCupid, Hinge, Her, Scruff, Chappy, and more
- Compatible with: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, and more
ExpressVPN uses 256-bit military-grade encryption to safeguard your personal information when you use Grindr. This is the same level of encryption that is used by the US military, meaning it’s impossible for third parties to exploit your information. Even the best supercomputers in the world can’t break this encryption, which means you don’t have to worry about snoops spying on your online activities.
Unblocking Grindr in banned countries is also straightforward with ExpressVPN, thanks to its 3,000 servers in 94 countries. During my tests, I easily accessed Grindr while connected to servers in Australia, France, the US, and Japan. All you have to do is connect to a server in your country, and you can unblock Grindr privately.
ExpressVPN is also fast. I was able to download and unblock Grindr in less than 4 minutes. I didn't have to wait more than a few seconds for profiles to load, and the pictures were in crystal-clear quality.
It’s worth noting that ExpressVPN is one of the more expensive VPNs on the market. But there's a way to reduce the cost: I noticed that it has frequent sales for new subscribers, and if you sign up right now, you can save up to 49%.
If you ever need help using ExpressVPN, its live chat is available 24/7 and very responsive. This makes it easy to try out its 30-day money-back guarantee. I canceled my trial on day 27. The live chat team asked me a couple of simple questions and whether I was sure I wanted to cancel, and then promptly issued the refund. My money reached my bank account in 1 day.
How to Sign Up for Grindr With a VPN
- Download a VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN because it has high-level security features and can unblock Grindr in just seconds (plus you can try it risk-free for 30 days).
- Connect to a server in your country. This bypasses the ISP blocks that restrict Grindr.
- Download the Grindr app. Go to your app store, search for Grindr, and install it. If the app isn’t available in your region, you can change your Google Play Store or App Store region with my quick guide below.
- Create your account. Provide the requested information, including your name and email address. You’ll also need to provide a phone number for account verification, so be sure to give a real number, changing the area code to match your country. (It doesn’t matter if you’re connected to a server in a country other than your own; Grindr doesn’t check this.)
- Enjoy Grindr! Verify your account, and start chatting with other LGBQT+ people from anywhere in the world.
How to Change Your App Store Region to Download Grindr
I have tested these steps and they are currently working in August 2022.
- Get a reliable VPN and connect to a US-based server. You’ll need to make it look like you’re in the US to download the app; once it’s on your phone, you can switch back to a server in your country to see local profiles.
- Go to the US Apple sign-in page and click “Create your Apple ID.”
- Under Country/Region, choose the US — but when it asks for your phone number, select the region you live in and use your real number.
- Enter the verification codes that Apple sent to your email and phone. Your new ID is confirmed, and you’re ready to log in to the App Store.
- Go to the “Settings” menu on your iOS device and click “Apple ID,” then “iTunes & App Store.”
- Log out of your old Apple ID and log in with your new one.
- Search for Grindr on the App Store, and click “Get.”
- Click “Review” and then agree to the Terms and Conditions. Click “Next” and sign in with your new ID again if it asks you to.
- Choose “None” for your payment method (don’t worry — this is free! Choosing a payment method is just part of the signup process).
- Enter the address of a US hotel. I used 137 W 111th St, New York, NY 10026, United States. Then, click “Continue” and download the app — that’s it! You’re ready to go.
This method worked for me in the past, but it didn’t work when I tested it on my Android phone and tablet in August 2022. At the moment, Google asks you for a US-based phone number to verify your account. It seems to skip this step sometimes, so you need to keep checking. I’ll update this guide when I find out more, but here are the instructions so you can test it out.
- Get a reliable VPN and connect to a US-based server.
- In the Google Play Store app, click on your username in the top right corner.
- Select “Add another account” and then click “Create account.”
- Follow the steps to create your new Google account, and be sure to choose the US as your location.
- Search for the Grindr app on the Play Store and hit “Install.” Once it downloads, you’re ready to log in.
FAQs on Unblocking Grindr With a VPN
How does a VPN keep me safe on Grindr?
A VPN keeps you safe by encrypting your internet traffic so that your ISP, the government, and hackers can't see you're using Grindr. VPNs also hide your real location so that other Grindr users can't track down your address or harass you in person.
It's safest to access Grindr with a VPN, but there are some extra steps you should take to protect yourself. First, use a fake name and create a separate email account just for your dating profiles. Second, don't give out your personal information to people you don't know. In some countries, police have been known to create fake Grindr profiles in homophobic countries to track down and arrest LGBTQ+ people.
Does Grindr encrypt my private messages?
To be safe, you should never send messages, photos, or other content that you don’t want recorded or potentially exposed. (Remember: VPNs will encrypt data that you send to Grindr so that snoops like ISPs can’t access it in transit, but they can’t prevent leaks once Grindr has the info).
What do I do if my VPN isn't working with Grindr?
If your VPN isn’t working with Grindr, there are some troubleshooting tips you can try.
- Connect a different server. It’s possible the server you’re connected to is blocked.
- Use obfuscated servers. If you’re in a country that blocks VPNs (like China) you may need to use advanced features, like obfuscated servers. Luckily, ExpressVPN has a team of representatives that constantly update certain servers in China, so you can get connected without having to worry about any advanced features.
- Make sure you use a trusted, premium VPN like ExpressVPN. Other VPNs lack required security features or may be unable to bypass blocks (free VPNs are notorious for this, so it’s always best to avoid them).
How many countries have blocked Grindr?
Grindr is banned in 72 countries, the most famous of which are Russia, Turkey, Egypt, the UAE, Indonesia, and Saudi Arabia. These countries have strict laws that discriminate against LGBTQ+ people, and there have been numerous stories of people getting caught using Grindr in these countries and facing severe consequences. A VPN prevents your government and ISP from seeing that you're using Grindr, so you can be safe while using the app.
Unblock Grindr Now
Many governments block Grindr, but a reliable VPN can unblock it safely. When choosing a VPN for Grindr, it’s best to choose one with strong security features and an extensive server network that can bypass censorship.
After conducting my tests, I can say that ExpressVPN works best with the Grindr app. It has a large server network and excellent security features that always protect your online privacy. To be sure it’s right for you, try it risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied, you can request a full refund!
Your data is exposed to the websites you visit!
Your IP Address:
Your Internet Provider:
The information above can be used to track you, target you for ads, and monitor what you do online.
VPNs can help you hide this information from websites so that you are protected at all times. We recommend ExpressVPN — the #1 VPN out of over 350 providers we've tested. It has military-grade encryption and privacy features that will ensure your digital security, plus — it's currently offering 49% off.